Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh hey, some (but not all) of my mystery borked DLC mini packs started working, so I'm busy doing SWAT jobs before heading off to the tourney. I like this SWAT pack, I think it's one of the ones worth picking up. I can see how driving off to do one or two car chases or gunfights now and then would give extra variety in the early game. I just getting a kick out of running up armed robbers and shooting them in the face in slow-mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

It's not farmable but you can retry story missions for a higher score and if you do better you'll get that added to your Triad total.

You can actually farm Triad EXP if you have the martial arts DLC.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

SheepNameKiller posted:

You can actually farm Triad EXP if you have the martial arts DLC.

Ah that explains it. I have all of the DLC except for the "buy this for free experience/money" ones.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Trip report on Zodiac Tournament. It's about 50 minutes long, has 2 gold stat awards and no achievements. It is basically a mini series of fight clubs with new fight moves, environmental takedowns, and a kicking rad cheesy '70s feel complete with funky guitar beats.. I

t's a fun little diversion, worth 400 points, but I wish it had been more on the scale of Nightmare in North Point, but as it is available during the main story it's probably best that it be short and sweet. The island can also be visited again at any point to replay any of the missions, for extra fighting fun.

God I hope they make a ton more of these things.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
How exactly do you get to the Zodiac Island? I downloaded it and then started the game, but although I got the text message that's supposed to start the DLC I don't see an objective marker anywhere on the map.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. The start of the Zodiac Tournament shows up as a fight club icon on your map.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 18, 2012

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm just glad that it lets me play the game without downloading the DLC. I've hit a major busy patch in my life and have barely had any time to play. I barely just got the third house!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is this out on PC yet? I don't see it on Steam.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Is this out on PC yet? I don't see it on Steam.
It is now!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

They weren't kidding when they said I need to level up some before tackling this place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

Starring Wei Shen, the Zodiac Tournament invites you to become the dragon and unleash your fists of fury! You must utilize all of your best moves as well as some new ones, to defeat the island’s hidden big boss as Wei enters this deadly game of death. New fighting styles, new combatants and new collectibles are also included in this retro gameplay add-on.
I love how they worked in all the Bruce Lee movie titles they could when they did the description. Can't wait to start it after work.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I love the game, but does it need an insanely high-end graphics card to run on the highest settings?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Two rough edges to the new DLC. First, the voice actor for the big bad is terrible, and not in a campy cheesy villain way, but in a bland way. Second, you are going to be wearing the smart suit when you arrive at the island no matter what. I made a special trip home to put on the Game of Death jumpsuit, but to no avail.

Still drat fine though.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Man, that DLC is really linear. Also it takes 30 minutes at most. 10 minutes of which was continuous wailing at that black guy to bring him down, he blocked everything, all the time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
If you need a damage buff in Zodiac, check out the wooden practice posts in the courtyard. I didn't even notice these until I was wandering around after finishing.

This is a great source for Triad XP too, being maxed out already I don't know how much you get from it but all the fights have nothing but red exp bar rewards.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Is there any DLC you recommend buying if you only have enough points for one?

I can afford Northpoint, but I don't know if I should get that or a couple of the smaller ones.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Smelly posted:

Is there any DLC you recommend buying if you only have enough points for one?

I can afford Northpoint, but I don't know if I should get that or a couple of the smaller ones.

Northpoint is the best one, but only get it if you have finished the main story. It's the delicious dessert to the main story. It's 5 star quality.

If you are still playing, then Zodiac is brand new and gives you a good diversion from the main story. 4 stars,.

That's the only story content, the rest is either things like extra races (Street Racer Pack), pretty princess dress up (about half the content, or side mission extenders like the SWAT pack which gives you the chance drive a SWAT vehicle and get into gunfights with robbers. I'll vouch for the SWAT pack as it increases variety in your playthrough, and I kind of enjoyed the Retro Triad pack for the hair and the van.

The two story packs are head and shoulders above the rest of the stuff though.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Thanks, I'll probably pick up the newest DLC then since I'm still in the story. The extra Triad XP should help.

I have a feeling I'm going to eventually get them all (minus the one that just gives you XP.) But that'll probably be well after Christmas.

I hope if (when?) they make Sleeping Dogs 2 that we can get some multiplayer in it ala GTA IV. I would love to be able to run around with a couple friends beating the crap out of some Triad. Plus I want to shove said friends into trunks.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Smelly posted:

I have a feeling I'm going to eventually get them all (minus the one that just gives you XP.) But that'll probably be well after Christmas.

It's really not necessary to buy them all and I wish I hadn't. Some of the DLC outfits are really useful (the SWAT uniform that gives 50% overall damage reduction, the robe that gives you more reaction time for counters) but a lot of them are really ENTIRELY fluff and almost all of them are fairly immersion breaking (if you care about that -- and you should, because Sleeping Dogs's writing is its best quality). The "proper" DLCs (North Point and Zodiac Tournament) are absolutely worth it, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I wish this game had a harder difficulty setting. Once you understand the flow of combat I sort of breezed through it. Not saying it wasn't fun, just not very challenging.

Haven't tried the new DLC though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the best way to earn Face XP? Replaying, and I want to be able to dress crazy.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I've been doing favors all over the map

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I've been doing favors all over the map

Oh? ;-*

Pretty much just doing the favors and wearing as much of the Face XP boosting stuff possible. So far that seems like the only way to get more Face XP.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IIRC you get Face XP for the fighting part of drug busts, which is a really easy way to grind out your face levels.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Races and stealing cars both get you a ton of Face too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You get face exp from breaking up the gangs so you can hack the camera.

Actually doing the bust nets police experience.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Pretty sure that you also get some Face exp just by filling up the Face bar since I remember maxing it out without even doing any missions that increase it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Face boosting gear and even lazily doing races will have you max out way before the end.

Loved the new DLC, kinda wish it had that busted film grain effect the entire time though, would have been awesome.

Corsh
Dec 20, 2012

We like cars fine, we just don't like j4gs
drat, I shouldn't have got all the DLCs straight away... I gave the game the first try yesterday and after 20 minutes (when all the extras kicked in) I only ended up with the best car, the coolest outfit and 200k on my account... Feels like I've completed the game. :/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't get the plot of the second DLC
The Tournament Master had an eeevil plot to make us all fight each other - which was exactly what we'd come here to do and had been doing. Is there any reason why we were suddenly bros and refusing to fight each other?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't get the plot of the second DLC
The Tournament Master had an eeevil plot to make us all fight each other - which was exactly what we'd come here to do and had been doing. Is there any reason why we were suddenly bros and refusing to fight each other?

There was a quote from the devs saying it isn't canon and isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's meant to be like a goofy Chinese martial arts movie.

That is something out out of a goofy martial arts movie.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

There was a quote from the devs saying it isn't canon and isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's meant to be like a goofy Chinese martial arts movie.

That is something out out of a goofy martial arts movie.

I get that much, but "Fight each other!" "No!" seemed to come completely out of left field, especially when I had just been fighting them.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It is seriously just a dumb martial arts film cliche. There's nothing else to it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, there's a big difference between "Now I will fight you" and (I don't even think I should be spoiling this because if you didn't expect this to happen the second you reached the island you're an idiot) "Anyone who loses this fight will be killed". This is also a thing that has happened in pretty much every single movie about a secret martial arts tournament ever made.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ahahahaha, I haven't started the Zodiac Tournament yet but I ran into a tiny-yet-awesome bug I just had to share.

I'm playing through the game again and I get to the second "Cheaters Never Prosper" sidequest. For those that forgot, that's where a guy whines about his rival cheating on him and asks you to gently caress up his car.

So I get in the nearest car to drive over to the location, and it sticks me on Real FM. I'm not feeling the song, so I end up rolling over to Sagittarius; they're playing "In the City" by The Jam. A great tune, as you know, and coupled with the fact that I'm doing unusually well behind the wheel, it starts pumping me up. I'm singing along to the song, "In the city there's a thousand people, something something..."

A minute later I'm at the site, get out of the car, "I wanna say...I wanna something...", grab the tire iron, and when I make my first swing I realize:

The music never stopped playing when I got out of the car.

I'm going all Street Fighter II on some douchebag's car to the sounds of The Jam, and when his boys show up, the music's still playing as I wail on them, too. I was accidentally thrust in the middle of a Scorsese moment.

I love this loving game, warts and all.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
And right there is the standard on which game development bugtesting should be held. Bad bugs example being the recent Battlefield 3 bug where a story-mandated Stinger missile launcher couldn't be wielded, acceptable bugs being DivisionPost's story.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

DivisionPost posted:

Ahahahaha, I haven't started the Zodiac Tournament yet but I ran into a tiny-yet-awesome bug I just had to share.
I honestly thought that was a feature. The music always keeps playing when I do the Cheaters Never Prosper missions, I just did the first one in my current playthrough, and had "Girls on Film" playing as I smashed guys' heads in with a car door.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, there's a big difference between "Now I will fight you" and (I don't even think I should be spoiling this because if you didn't expect this to happen the second you reached the island you're an idiot) "Anyone who loses this fight will be killed". This is also a thing that has happened in pretty much every single movie about a secret martial arts tournament ever made.

You mean I wasn't supposed to be killing all those people in the previous fights? :eek:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chortles posted:

And right there is the standard on which game development bugtesting should be held. Bad bugs example being the recent Battlefield 3 bug where a story-mandated Stinger missile launcher couldn't be wielded, acceptable bugs being DivisionPost's story.

The bugs in this game are awesome. I had a bug where I touched a corner or something and my character went flying vertically upwards into the air and out of the city. It was crazy and awesome at the same time. I've also seen an NPC do this too.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Xaris posted:

The bugs in this game are awesome. I had a bug where I touched a corner or something and my character went flying vertically upwards into the air and out of the city. It was crazy and awesome at the same time. I've also seen an NPC do this too.

I had this happen when I was racing. I just hit a railing and then I flew in the air hitting a building and failed the race. It was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I tackled a random pedestrian on some stairs and that caused Wei to go flying about 100 meters straight up into the air. That was hilarious.

• Locked thread