Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
$40 would be fine if it looked nice... not to say it's "ugly" but it's one of those things where you look at it and say "that sure is a piece of plastic." iPod docks are also just pieces of plastic, yes, but at least it looks like some effort was at least put into design there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Flipboard now has a tablet optimized layout/Nexus 10 support.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flipboard.app

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vagrancy posted:

Ooh, thanks! A Christmas miracle!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Ooh, thanks! A Christmas miracle!

I thought it looked good on my nexus 7 before. What's different in the tablet layout?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Vagrancy posted:

Wow, I thought this would never happen.

Kind of funny that this happened on the same day that Press was released (another pretty RSS reader for android tablets):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/19/3786686/press-android-rss-reader-with-good-design-hands-on

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

I thought it looked good on my nexus 7 before. What's different in the tablet layout?

Don't have the Nexus10 next to me, but if it's anything like the iPad, left-right page turn orientation, better use of screen size/orientation, uses higher-res resources/scaling when available.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 20, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Polo-Rican posted:

You aren't alone since just six months ago they said it wasn't worth it.

quote:

While the move to Android phones has been long-awaited, Flipboard’s marketing executive Marci McCue said there is no rush to build a version for larger Android tablets and it isn’t on the company’s roadmap.

“We focus on taking one step at a time. As far as tablets go, the biggest player is the iPad. We’ll watch the (tablet) market but right now the market is the iPad,”

So, this should be viewed as a really positive move. It seems that devs are really starting to take Android tablet support seriously.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You aren't alone since just six months ago they said it wasn't worth it.

So, this should be viewed as a really positive move. It seems that devs are really starting to take Android tablet support seriously.

I wonder if it was purely the Nexus10 that got them to change their mind, or if they saw market stats on tablets change.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Better Battery Stats is saying that my N7 is awake about 1/3 of the time. It's usually the GPS flaring up. I noticed, after the 4.2 update, the GPS turns on much more frequently than under 4.1. I've done a fresh install and it keeps training battery via GPS. I could disable it, but I'd miss out on a lot of features. BBS says it's usually Google Maps or another system location feature, not a 3rd party app.

Is anyone else having this problem?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Is there really a point to rooting the Nexus 7 and installing CM10.1 or anything else on it? I really can't find a reason to do it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

rotaryfun posted:

Is there really a point to rooting the Nexus 7 and installing CM10.1 or anything else on it? I really can't find a reason to do it.

Rooting? Yes. Flashing a rom? No.

Rooting gives you options such as Titanium Backup, Ad blockers, etc.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

IT Guy posted:

Rooting gives you options such as Titanium Backup, Ad blockers, etc.

I guess without the flashing of new ROMs what's the point of titanium backup?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rotaryfun posted:

It's handy to back up saved games or move them from device to device.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rotaryfun posted:

Reverting when an update makes an app lovely.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I got a Nook HD for Christmas, the screen is amazing. Any idea where I can find out information on rooting and such?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Noob question: If I purchase videos via iTunes, can I play them on my Android tablet (if I totally randomly splurge on one tomorrow for my upcoming trip)? If not, what do I have to do in order to get my videos playable? The last time I broke from the Apple ecosystem, I discovered that I'd have to burn/import all my songs that I bought because they wouldn't work with my Sansa Clip (this is like 2003).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

Noob question: If I purchase videos via iTunes, can I play them on my Android tablet (if I totally randomly splurge on one tomorrow for my upcoming trip)?
iTunes music is now DRM free but you're still completely boned for video, as far as I know.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Hello Android tablet thread! Just picked up a Nexus 7 yesterday and loving it so far. Suddenly my phone, which I was fairly happy with (HTC Desire HD stuck at 2.3) seems so lovely and I don't even want to look at it.

I have two questions.

1.) I just updated it to 4.2 and the screenshot function isn't working. (volume down + power). I googled and some people reported this and the answers were mostly "you're doing it wrong". So, what am I doing wrong?

2.) Do we have any easy way to make Youtube videos float like mobo video player does?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

IT Guy posted:

Paranoid android is what makes rooting worthwhile. Tablet mode is awesome.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

THE LUMMOX posted:

Hello Android tablet thread! Just picked up a Nexus 7 yesterday and loving it so far. Suddenly my phone, which I was fairly happy with (HTC Desire HD stuck at 2.3) seems so lovely and I don't even want to look at it.

I have two questions.

1.) I just updated it to 4.2 and the screenshot function isn't working. (volume down + power). I googled and some people reported this and the answers were mostly "you're doing it wrong". So, what am I doing wrong?

2.) Do we have any easy way to make Youtube videos float like mobo video player does?

Press power and volume down at the exact same time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shadowgate posted:

And good them in for a second. The screen will kinda shrink into itself.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Anyone using a Nexus 7 outside of where it's available to buy?

I'm in China and every time I reboot my tablet, books, music, movies, and magazines gets disabled and I cannot re-enable them until I log into a VPN and enable them from the Play Store. Is there a workaround for this?

I've seen you can do something with terminal emulator, but I'm looking for something that will stick each reboot.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Polo-Rican posted:

Kind of funny that this happened on the same day that Press was released (another pretty RSS reader for android tablets):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/19/3786686/press-android-rss-reader-with-good-design-hands-on

Press looks pretty, but it's not very fast or smooth on my Nexus 10 (by far not as fast as Reader HD or Currents). Flipbook is on the other hand as smooth and fast as on the iPad 4. I've heard Press uses HTML5 which might explain the difference if true. Took them a while to get Flipboard over, but it is a very good quality port (lack of Holo nonwithstanding).

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Shadowgate posted:

Ah that was it! Thanks a bunch.

Anyone have some insight into making Youtube float?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE LUMMOX posted:

Ah that was it! Thanks a bunch.

Anyone have some insight into making Youtube float?
Can you define "float" a bit better?

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

THE LUMMOX posted:

I have two questions.

you can quite easily root and put jelly bean or ICS on a desire HD. It made the phone last a lot longer for me

edit: thought this was the normal phone thread

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the parade of apps adding tablet support, Accuweather updated their app today. Previously, they had an "Accuweather for honeycomb" that was a tablet UI. Now it looks like they updated their main app with tablet support.

I haven't tried it yet on either of my tablets to see what's changed though.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

After exchanging my Nexus 7, I'm only getting about 5 hours screen-on time, often less. Before I was getting a minimum of 6 hours, usually more. However, I didn't spend much time with 4.2 before sending my first tablet back to Asus, so I didn't have a chance to notice any change in battery life. I updated my replacement device to 4.2 as soon as I received it.

Is this reduced battery life likely just due to 4.2, or should I be investigating further?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Duke Jeffrie posted:

After exchanging my Nexus 7, I'm only getting about 5 hours screen-on time, often less. Before I was getting a minimum of 6 hours, usually more. However, I didn't spend much time with 4.2 before sending my first tablet back to Asus, so I didn't have a chance to notice any change in battery life. I updated my replacement device to 4.2 as soon as I received it.

Is this reduced battery life likely just due to 4.2, or should I be investigating further?

4.2 stuff seems to be up in the air. I personally haven't noticed any real difference in battery life between 4.1 and 4.2, but others have.

I have noticed that 4.2 does not seem to run as smooth as 4.1 on my Nexus 7 though. Kind of bummed about that, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. Hopefully they'll patch it up again.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Tunga posted:

Can you define "float" a bit better?

Like in mobo player!

You can drag it all around the screen so you can multitask while you watch.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Aero737 posted:

Anyone using a Nexus 7 outside of where it's available to buy?

I'm in China and every time I reboot my tablet, books, music, movies, and magazines gets disabled and I cannot re-enable them until I log into a VPN and enable them from the Play Store. Is there a workaround for this?

I've seen you can do something with terminal emulator, but I'm looking for something that will stick each reboot.

I'm having the same problem with nexus 10 in new Zealand. I don't think its possible to fix yet. sucks especially when I have both books and movies with the market

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

THE LUMMOX posted:

Like in mobo player!

You can drag it all around the screen so you can multitask while you watch.

This seems like what you're looking for.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myboyfriendisageek.stickit

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ugh. Finally got so sick and tired of my bone stock N7 running like complete dog poo poo. Put CM10.1 and what do you know? It runs great!

God damnit, Google. It was the perfect device before you hosed it up with the 4.2 OTA.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone seen or used a car mount for the N7 that works with a bluerex case without removing it from the case?

I don't have a N7, but thinking about getting one. From the pictures it looks like maybe it's not hard to take it out of the bluerex case, but I hate fiddling with stuff in the car like that.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is there any way I can replace a Nexus 7 screen without spending around $150? I've got no problem dissembling the unit myself, but I'm only seeing LCD units coming from China on ebay, and I really can't be hosed to wait a month or two for the thing to come through customs and get to the East Coast.

I need the digitizer too, it seems. I guess that explains the prices.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Very new to android, got given a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1". Seems pretty good, just wondering-is it likely I will get an update to android 4.2 from Samsung? Or is there generally a cut off in OS updates to stop older devices running slow?

The Pink Ninja
Sep 19, 2006

Guess where this lollipop's going?
my mom just got a Nexus 7 to take with her on her round-the-world trip to New Zealand, Laos, and Germany. She likes reading a lot. What apps should I load onto it? Also what are really good cases for the Nexus 7 (60$ or less)? Also also what are good bluetooth keyboards that are Android compatible? she wants a full-size or laptop-sized keyboard since she dislikes typing on small screens...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Pink Ninja posted:

my mom just got a Nexus 7 to take with her on her round-the-world trip to New Zealand, Laos, and Germany. She likes reading a lot. What apps should I load onto it? Also what are really good cases for the Nexus 7 (60$ or less)? Also also what are good bluetooth keyboards that are Android compatible? she wants a full-size or laptop-sized keyboard since she dislikes typing on small screens...

Aldiko if she's bringing her own ePubs otherwise there's the Kindle app (for mobi's or access to her Amazon library). Google Play Books is a really nice app but only reads Play book purchases. The Blurex case on Amazon is very nice for $12 on Amazon, a bunch of goons here have it. Someone else will need to chime in on keyboards.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

the_lion posted:

Very new to android, got given a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1". Seems pretty good, just wondering-is it likely I will get an update to android 4.2 from Samsung? Or is there generally a cut off in OS updates to stop older devices running slow?
The manufacturer figures this question out:
"What is the minimum amount of time and effort I can expend supporting this device while still keeping the user happy enough to buy the next thing I make?" Most devices get updates for 12 to 18 months after release. I'd say you have a decent chance of getting 4.2, maybe in Q2 of next year.

That's how updates happen on non-Nexus Android devices. Nexus devices receive updates until Google decides the hardware can't run the software properly. The Nexus One never received 4.0 because it lacked sufficient storage. The Nexus S and Xoom will not receive 4.2 presumably because Google decided it doesn't run well enough on those devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I just received the Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard for Android 3.0 as a Christmas gift from my in-laws. Initial testing went great. It paired up no problem, the special keys all seem to work just fine, etc. I'll throw up a new post later on down the line if something pops up but so far it seems very very nice. Only real downside is I have to take my N7 out of my Blurex case to put it on the stand but really you could just use the case in its "stand mode" and heck it might even sit on the stand just fine in the case..just haven't tested it yet. So I'm pretty sure this is the keyboard to buy for an N7 or even an N10.