Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's loving horus heresy. Every possible list is hosed up in one way or another.

Praetor on a jetbike with paragon blade, digital lasers and iron halo.

Hits at WS6 at I5 with 5 attacks at S5 AP2 with T5, 2+/4++ for 210 points. Also he's got a heavy bolter.

Was gonna stick him with 6 more jetbikes including two multimeltas for another 230 points, then gently caress, who the hell cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bavius posted:

You're ever the optimist on these kits. I just don't like the floating barge style. Land speeders are supposed to look speedy. I suppose if this is called a land clunky it'll match the name at least. My biggest issue is the nose gunner. Why not leave the passenger or the under slung gun mount?

The shrine version looks decidedly more silly than the gun one at least.

The shrine one is way cooler. I wasn't sold on it either, but I already have plans for it.
Imagine that thing covered in seals and random pieces of decorative crap flying by with the gunner in his cupola-pulpit shooting dudes with an assault cannon one-handed while he shakes a book of devotional writings at some heretics with the other, yelling the whole time. And this weird flying statue-carrier is surrounded by a bunch of bikes and regular land speeders that are shooting everything and are even harder to hit thanks to this crazy stretch-speeder and its darkness shield.

But I don't know about that plasma one, the gunner'd totally be shot by accident.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bavius posted:

You're ever the optimist on these kits. I just don't like the floating barge style. Land speeders are supposed to look speedy. I suppose if this is called a land clunky it'll match the name at least. My biggest issue is the nose gunner. Why not leave the passenger or the under slung gun mount?

It looks more like a hovertank than a speeder honestly.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Picked up a Monolith today and figured it would be easy to assemble. I mean 6 simple walls should all line up and fit together, right? Well after attempting to get anything in place for a good 30 minutes, I found an old bag of rubber bands and I conquered that bastard.

gently caress you Monolith.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Oh yeah, that is such a crude design on the internals. Really needs to be recut with some, you know, actual points of contact and structural support.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gotta' get into the holiday spirit, ladies.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
A butter warlord

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Khorne Flakes posted:

Picked up a Monolith today and figured it would be easy to assemble. I mean 6 simple walls should all line up and fit together, right? Well after attempting to get anything in place for a good 30 minutes, I found an old bag of rubber bands and I conquered that bastard.

Did you ever have the misfortune of putting together one of the old plastic Land Speeders? Last time I tried to build one, I ended up making a piece of wrecked speeder terrain.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I found the older Speeder easier to get assembled properly than the newer version.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Safety Factor posted:

The shrine one is way cooler. I wasn't sold on it either, but I already have plans for it.
Imagine that thing covered in seals and random pieces of decorative crap flying by with the gunner in his cupola-pulpit shooting dudes with an assault cannon one-handed while he shakes a book of devotional writings at some heretics with the other, yelling the whole time. And this weird flying statue-carrier is surrounded by a bunch of bikes and regular land speeders that are shooting everything and are even harder to hit thanks to this crazy stretch-speeder and its darkness shield.

Yeah, that thing is painfully and awesomely 40K and will make a great centerpiece for a Ravenwing army. It's clunky and looks completely incapable of supporting itself off the ground, but so does every other Space Marine skimmer and flyer, and that's what makes them cool--they conquer physics with the same brute force they use to conquer heretics.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
So, Tau are pretty much bros with anybody, right? So if I buy Dark Vengeance for my son and paint up the SM's (he wants the Chaos), I can then start buying Tau and Allying them with my SM's until they get big enough to play on their own?

I like Tau. Never got to play them when I was actually in the hobby.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

Did you ever have the misfortune of putting together one of the old plastic Land Speeders? Last time I tried to build one, I ended up making a piece of wrecked speeder terrain.

I have a pair of them still unfinished and by mixing and matching parts I can get one to almost align right.

The other one will be making an appearance as a wreck as soon as I can afford to replace him.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Nice Imperator. What's that instead of plasma?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

So, Tau are pretty much bros with anybody, right? So if I buy Dark Vengeance for my son and paint up the SM's (he wants the Chaos), I can then start buying Tau and Allying them with my SM's until they get big enough to play on their own?

Dark Angels and Tau would make excellent allies. The problem with Tau is sucky close combat and each model lost takes away a large amount of your firepower (unless you run a unit or two of kroot). The problem with dark angels is objective control.

With Ravenwing or Deathwing supporting a normal Tau army you can have a small elite close combat units that can deal with enemy threats while the Tau focus on shooting and grabbing objectives. Just imagine melta-Piranha supporting units of Ravenwing with flamers/plasma...

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?

Pierzak posted:

Nice Imperator. What's that instead of plasma?

Quake Cannon?

So I've been playing Black Templar a lot recently (past 7 months), and it seems that they are too powerful, I should have lost a 1v1 game by now.

Do any of you Black Templar players share the same experience?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It looks like space marine scouts are moving to the Troops slot in the new Dark Angels Codex. I hope they get access to biker Scouts in Fast Attack, if any chapter should, then I would think it would be the Dark Angels.

It would also give me a good reason to use the five Scout bikers I've had laying around since they were released years ago.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

The Dregs posted:

Tau are super-bros with regular SM and okay friends with all of the other Marine types (except Black Templars, who are pissy douchebags), so they work together just fine. Marines also mesh very well with Tau in the sense of having many of the things that Tau are lacking and thus complimenting their weaknesses and strengths well. Dark Vengeance + some basic Tau would be a pretty solid setup as long as you stick to the good Tau units (battlesuits, basically.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Babe Magnet posted:

I love that it's made entirely out of gingerbread.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Out braving the last minute shopping crowds because dammit I need spongebob squarepants wrapping paper for my niece's presents, I swing by the local FLGS cuz mayyyyybe I wanna pick up another unit of necron Wraiths. No luck with the wraiths, store always has limited selection tbh, but somebody on staff has gone willy-nilly with these neon-green "50% Off" stickers. Picked up a Night Scythe for $22 and 3x Tomb Spyders for $16 each. :toot:

Merry Xmas to Me :v

Cheap Thrills/Capt. Nemo Games in San Luis Obispo, CA.

Chaos players in the area needing a space-dragon or 3 should especially check it out.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It would also give me a good reason to use the five Scout bikers I've had laying around since they were released years ago.

They are quite neat with the new rules for turbo boost and general improvement on bikes.

I want to try 3-5 of them for blocking disembarks thus autokilling units when you pop their transport.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

AbusePuppy posted:

Tau are super-bros with regular SM and okay friends with all of the other Marine types (except Black Templars, who are pissy douchebags), so they work together just fine. Marines also mesh very well with Tau in the sense of having many of the things that Tau are lacking and thus complimenting their weaknesses and strengths well. Dark Vengeance + some basic Tau would be a pretty solid setup as long as you stick to the good Tau units (battlesuits, basically.)

Great! I was kind of bummed about having to play Space Marines, but the new Allies rules are awesome. Especially since my son can't decide between CSM and Daemons.

I'll probably play them as Vanilla at least at first to avoid buying another damned codex. I have a thing for Lamenters and I can't think of a chapter more likely to tell the Imperium to go gently caress itself and jine up for the greater Good.

There will be carnage on the dinner table cop come Christmas morning.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tequila Ranger posted:

Out braving the last minute shopping crowds because dammit I need spongebob squarepants wrapping paper for my niece's presents, I swing by the local FLGS cuz mayyyyybe I wanna pick up another unit of necron Wraiths. No luck with the wraiths, store always has limited selection tbh, but somebody on staff has gone willy-nilly with these neon-green "50% Off" stickers. Picked up a Night Scythe for $22 and 3x Tomb Spyders for $16 each. :toot:

That's awesome. Our local store owner bitches whenever we buy something online, while offering no discounts and no support beyond tables and warped plywood boards (and half the time the tables are used by magic players). The owner isn't a bad guy, just lazy which makes it even worse. If it's not comics or magic, he doesn't really care.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Bavius posted:

I just think the speeder is very in keeping with the dark angels fluff. The pulpit is neat looking to me. I don't think it's the best model they have come out with - not by a longshot - buts its pretty cool. Again, I also recognize I might be in the minority.

The hoods on terminators is purely a style choice and I think it's pretty cool.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

adamantium|wang posted:

I have a pair of them still unfinished and by mixing and matching parts I can get one to almost align right.

The other one will be making an appearance as a wreck as soon as I can afford to replace him.

The older ones suck so much. But the new one goes together very nicely.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Khorne Flakes posted:

I had heard from my friend Aaron that these were a bitch to put together. Sorry to see he wasn't lying.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ghost Hand posted:

I just think the speeder is very in keeping with the dark angels fluff. The pulpit is neat looking to me. I don't think it's the best model they have come out with - not by a longshot - buts its pretty cool. Again, I also recognize I might be in the minority.

The hoods on terminators is purely a style choice and I think it's pretty cool.

I think that the speeder might end up looking a lot better in person. In the photos it looks fairly well 'balanced', as a heavy Imperial grav vehicle, but the positioning of the puppet and its size in relation to the rest of the model does look very very odd in the photos.
Those big plasma cannons look awesome though.

I somehow managed to miss the pictures of the apothecary and standard bearer on bikes, and I think they look utterly brilliant. The standard bearer in particular is an excellent callback to a classic piece of Rogue Trader/second edition Ravenwing artwork.

The hooded Terminators do look quite pretty, it's just a personal thing I have with people in powered And Terminator armour eschewing the protection afforded to them. Also helmets are cool.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know, I've had this thread open on my browser for weeks(read:months) whilst telling myself "I'll look at it later; When I feel like it; When the bug for GW stuff hits me."
Well, I finally get back to looking at this thread and you know when the last post I looked at was posted? July... loving July! gently caress me! I don't know whether to trawl through it all or just start here!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
We’re in 6th edition now, so I would say just read the OP and maybe the last few pages just to be up to speed on all the quoted posts and DA leaks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So I've played the Dawn of War games and enjoyed the fluff for years, and because I've now got a bit of money decided to get into the proper game.

Any suggestions for a newb who wants to play Eldar (I always liked playing Eldar the most in DoW skirmish)? Someone I know suggested I start with 2x Battle Force, a Far Seer and Fire Dragons, and work from there.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Irate Tree posted:

You know, I've had this thread open on my browser for weeks(read:months) whilst telling myself "I'll look at it later; When I feel like it; When the bug for GW stuff hits me."
Well, I finally get back to looking at this thread and you know when the last post I looked at was posted? July... loving July! gently caress me! I don't know whether to trawl through it all or just start here!

The most important thing that you may have missed is that Tau got their update back in September and are now the undisputed masters of the tabletop.

:sigh:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

I once threw one at the wall in frustration. Old Speeders are the worst.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

NTRabbit posted:

So I've played the Dawn of War games and enjoyed the fluff for years, and because I've now got a bit of money decided to get into the proper game.

Any suggestions for a newb who wants to play Eldar (I always liked playing Eldar the most in DoW skirmish)? Someone I know suggested I start with 2x Battle Force, a Far Seer and Fire Dragons, and work from there.

You'll probably not use half the troops in the battle force which sorta makes the savings a wash, but that's really not a bad place to start. Understand that eldar got a boost with 6th ed, but they're in no way an easy force to play, so expect to lose a lot until you've got them figured out.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Eldar are primarily a painters army currently, but your mileage may vary depending on your gaming environment. War Walkers, Farseers and to a lesser extent Fire Dragons are still solid choices in 6th edition, and I'm having a lot of bang for my buck with Rangers/Pathfinders since the edition change. Though not as versatile as the newer armies I find them fun to play.

A special mention goes to the buffed-up unit of Wraithguard who marched through my buddy's IG this Wednesday, in what was basically a conga line of doom and despair that managed to brush off all opposition. :v:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Tommofork posted:

The most important thing that you may have missed is that Tau got their update back in September and are now the undisputed masters of the tabletop.

:sigh:

Is this true (I mean an update)? I am coming back to the game and I am thinking of playing Tau. I found this update http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1760102a_Tau_Empire_Version_1_1.pdf, but it doesn't seem too earthshattering. Is there other stuff I should be checking out?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Yeah, Eldar are... not sitting in a good place right now. Low toughness, generally-weak armor saves, and over-expensive transports combine to leave them with not a lot of good options for most units.

They do have a couple things that range between okay and good; Harlequins are quite tough and, paired up with a Farseer to give them rerolls on saves they can be incredibly difficult to deal with. Farseers, whether on bike or on foot, are still excellent. Fire Dragons are good, though delivering them has gotten harder and the need for them is somewhat lessened. Guardian Jetbikes are pretty survivable for troops, and Wraithguard are a tough, if expensive way to hold an objective. War Walkers and Wraithlords can both put out a fair amount of hurt.

Unfortunately the units start to slope off pretty quickly beyond the top few, plunging all the way down into the "abjectly terrible" zone in some cases. Eldar can make a pretty acceptable ally, since you can basically just combine their limited slots and limited choices together and get a functional set of units, but as a primary army they are severely lacking. There's hopes for a new codex this year, but as of now they are probably the army that is in the worst position in the game right now.

Admittedly, depending on how tough your gaming group is this may matter more or less, but even amongst pretty casual players Eldar are going to struggle at least some.

Tau didn't actually get an update, the new edition just changed things in such a way that Tau are actually a very strong army these days, at least with the inclusion of an ally.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Dregs posted:

Is this true (I mean an update)? I am coming back to the game and I am thinking of playing Tau. I found this update http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1760102a_Tau_Empire_Version_1_1.pdf, but it doesn't seem too earthshattering. Is there other stuff I should be checking out?

Nope, I was lying out my rear end. But yeah what /\/\/\/\ said.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tommofork posted:

Nope, I was lying out my rear end. But yeah what /\/\/\/\ said.

Although rumours are pointing to a Tau update next year...

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
A friend and I played some of the Dark Vengeance intro missions last night and he fell in love with the game and wants to play Chaos Space Marines. What would be the best way to build up an army using the units that came with DV? Should he just go for the Battleforce or just buy a tank and a couple of more troops for a few 500-750 point games?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

The best things in that army are Dire Avengers for your Troops, Fire Dragons in Wave Serpents for your Elites, and War Walkers for your Heavy Support choices. War Walkers with scatterlasers can dump tons of shots downrange and just waste infantry, Fire Dragons zipping around in Wave Serpents can get up close and personal with enemy armor, and Dire Avengers have a decent save and some good firepower against enemy units. Farseers are also good HQ choices and give good buffs to the guys they cast spells on.

LoG posted:

A friend and I played some of the Dark Vengeance intro missions last night and he fell in love with the game and wants to play Chaos Space Marines. What would be the best way to build up an army using the units that came with DV? Should he just go for the Battleforce or just buy a tank and a couple of more troops for a few 500-750 point games?
A Rhino and a Chaos Marines squad would be a good place to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the difference between Tabletop and Video Game Eldar is ridiculous. In Dawn of War (at least the first game + expansions) they're ridiculously, retardedly good. Like, the best army in the entire game by leagues good.

They mostly kind of suck on tabletop besides War Walkers outflanking with dual scatterlasers, a few units, maybe the tank, and general Farseer Shenanary.

• Locked thread