Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Samopsa posted:

He should be sitting in the apartment. Before the assault team moves in you should be able to speak to him. Do not exit the apartment through the window if you want him to survive.

e: reading your post again I think you are entering the 'ton from the main entrance, use the window in the alleyway instead!

He's not in there. Not even in the secret room behind the bookcase.

When I first spoke with him, I came down from the roof, entered through the window and left through the window and took the fire escape down. I returned by pushing some crates so I could reach the fire escape. The chair he was sitting in is vacant.

Thank you for at least confirming that this is a bug. I guess not leaving through the front door the first time bugged the game out? I guess I have to start the mission over.

EDIT: That worked. Now all I have to do is see if I can fight my way out of the hotel and keep us both alive. Seriously, you can fight, but you can't climb a few steps down a ladder?

Some doors have a Strength listed, which implies that I can break them down and not waste precious lockpicks, but how can I break a door down?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

qntm posted:

You can even just run away from Gunther entirely.

It's possible to knock out Gunther but by god it takes forever.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some doors have a Strength listed, which implies that I can break them down and not waste precious lockpicks, but how can I break a door down?

Generally by having the strength aug, Dragon's Tooth, explosives, or having master level in Rifles.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just to make things clearer, you can attack doors like crates or any other breakable objects, but the higher level strengths require explosives or high damage weapons.

Always great to see someone playing Deus Ex for the first time - how spoiled are you?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EDIT: That worked. Now all I have to do is see if I can fight my way out of the hotel and keep us both alive. Seriously, you can fight, but you can't climb a few steps down a ladder?

The only thing that kills Paul is running out the window (or running out the window without killing the soldiers if you have biomod installed). Nothing else will kill him.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

qntm posted:

You can even just run away from Gunther entirely.

I thought you needed to grab whatever it is on the computer in that room. Bit difficult to do that with a massive German machine-man plasma blasting you to death, surely? And how does the conversation with Walton Simons go if you do manage to evade him? Does Simons assume you killed him?

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Daktar posted:

I thought you needed to grab whatever it is on the computer in that room. Bit difficult to do that with a massive German machine-man plasma blasting you to death, surely?

Game world pauses while you're using computers (or hacking them) so it's not a problem.

quote:

And how does the conversation with Walton Simons go if you do manage to evade him? Does Simons assume you killed him?

IIRC it only triggers after you killed Hermann and downloaded the info.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The only thing that kills Paul is running out the window (or running out the window without killing the soldiers if you have biomod installed). Nothing else will kill him.

Seriously. If you hide in the closet you can have big bro do all the work for you it's insane how that setpiece is designed

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Semiru posted:

Just to make things clearer, you can attack doors like crates or any other breakable objects, but the higher level strengths require explosives or high damage weapons.

Always great to see someone playing Deus Ex for the first time - how spoiled are you?

Uh, well like three posts above someone just said you have to fight Anna and Gunther, but since I've just turned traitor to UNATCO, it's no longer a huge spoiler. Other than that I know very little.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Anyone have a new link to the Fixer? Installing on a new machine and the link in the OP 404's.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Rosoboronexport posted:

Game world pauses while you're using computers (or hacking them) so it's not a problem.

I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I know I've activated turrets against enemies and watched them get mowed down through the security camera screen, and I think I remember being killed by the bot while logged into the computer in front of the statue when I ran to hack it without taking the bot out first.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
It pauses in Vanilla, but not in Biomod or Shifter, one of the two.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah you wouldn't be able to murder dudes with turrets if the game world paused, also I distinctly remember having to dart in an out of shadows to hack a computer in the sewers beneath Hell's Kitchen.

What was up with that area, anyways? I mean it makes sense once you know everything about the story but it seems kind of out of place at the time.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
It most certainly doesn't pause in vanilla, I can distinctly remember being killed while hacking in vanilla.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Electric Pope posted:

It most certainly doesn't pause in vanilla, I can distinctly remember being killed while hacking in vanilla.
The game does not pause, but it does render you undetectable. Cameras cannot see you while you're on a computer. You can test this with the camera watching the security computer for Gunther's cell in the first level.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

DrPaper posted:

Anyone have a new link to the Fixer? Installing on a new machine and the link in the OP 404's.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110626003937/http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Geight posted:

Yeah you wouldn't be able to murder dudes with turrets if the game world paused, also I distinctly remember having to dart in an out of shadows to hack a computer in the sewers beneath Hell's Kitchen.

What was up with that area, anyways? I mean it makes sense once you know everything about the story but it seems kind of out of place at the time.

Deus Ex was wonderful for how much stuff was available to be discovered by those who dug a little deeper; that area was probably just meant for foreshadowing.

Actually, the MJ12 sewer base was the first point in the game when I became cognizant of that silly constant in the Deus Ex universe. At least in the first two games, as soon as your character learns of an organization with a name (up to and including super-secret world-dominating organizations) they immediately roll out platoons of guards with distinct, easily recognizable uniforms who operate in public and issue deadly force.

I always had a laugh imagining some poor shmuck suddenly dealing with armed Majestic 12 conscripts or those heavily aug'd bald Illuminati soldiers in IW suddenly shooting up street outside their apartment building.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Whenever I loot a downed enemy, I get stuff of their body but they also drop their weapon underneath themselves, so I have to move the body in order to get their weapon. Is this normal or a consequence of Biomod/Shifter? Come to think it, it might only do that with weapons I already have, in which case do I even need to pick up an extra 10mm pistol? Do I get more ammo for doing so?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 24, 2012

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Geight posted:

Smuggler will send you down there to rescue Ford Schick, which is why you might know to look for it. Unless your question is "why is there a giant shadow organization operating a base in the sewers underneath Hell's Kitchen" in which case I'm sorry, I don't know.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

C-Euro posted:

Whenever I loot a downed enemy, I get stuff of their body but they also drop their weapon underneath themselves, so I have to move the body in order to get their weapon. Is this normal or a consequence of Biomod/Shifter? Come to think it, it might only do that with weapons I already have, in which case do I even need to pick up an extra 10mm etc.? Do I get more ammo for doing so?

This is a Shifter feature, in the vanilla game you would pick up extra weapons if you had inventory space so you'd spend most of the game having to dump a bunch of combat knives everywhere. Picking up an redundant firearm does give you the ammo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The reason it drops everything on the ground is because in Vanilla Deus Ex you couldn't pick up a body to move it unless it had an empty inventory since the game couldn't tell the difference between looting and grabbing. A very odd oversight

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Little Blue Couch posted:

Smuggler will send you down there to rescue Ford Schick, which is why you might know to look for it. Unless your question is "why is there a giant shadow organization operating a base in the sewers underneath Hell's Kitchen" in which case I'm sorry, I don't know.

Yeah that was the question, I don't think you can actually get down there without Smuggler sending you, on account of all the grates being inf-inf locked doors.

I'm surprised Alex doesn't trip some sort of "knows too much, axe this guy" alarm when he says that he's gonna try to find out some info about the troops down there.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geight posted:

I'm surprised Alex doesn't trip some sort of "knows too much, axe this guy" alarm when he says that he's gonna try to find out some info about the troops down there.
Why would he? Alex is pretty clearly a decent guy who tries to be morally right if possible.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Hm? No I mean like, he says he's gonna try to investigate the MJ12 troops, I'm just surprised that with their stranglehold on the net they didn't have some sort of automatic alarm for anyone trying to look up details about them.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh gotcha, I misunderstood.

I guess you should either assume Alex is good enough to hide his tracks, or that he's not searching on public communications networks when he says that. :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Well he's good enough to cover for you if you take out Anna on the plane, so I guess he's just the best at what he does.

That encounter was funny for me, because before that nothing really seemed to challenge my rifle-wielding sneaky baton-ing Denton. But she killed me again and again until I took a modern approach and slapped a ballistic vest on and hit her with the double-tap noscope. :sicknasty:

I piled on basically every weapon augment the game would allow onto my sniper rifle, it's a shame that while scoped-in it seems like only your skill reduces the sway, not accuracy upgrades.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geight posted:

I piled on basically every weapon augment the game would allow onto my sniper rifle, it's a shame that while scoped-in it seems like only your skill reduces the sway, not accuracy upgrades.
I actually find that logical. You can have the best equipment in the world but it doesn't mean much if you're not very good at using it. Although, didn't the laser sight give you perfect accuracy in vanilla? I never played a sniper build, but I think it did for the pistol at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is the stealth pistol you get after the first mission worth anything? I stuffed all the mods I found on Liberty Island into my 10mm, now suddenly I have this other pistol that is maybe better. Or is this a game where any weapon is just as viable as any other, if used properly?

Edward Malus
Jan 13, 2012

HOW'D IT GET BURNED?

C-Euro posted:

Is the stealth pistol you get after the first mission worth anything?
I don't like it much, personally, but I guess you could turn it into a backup for the Assault Rifle; it does more damage per bullet than it while still maintaining a reasonable rate of fire, but you might find the clip size a bit lacking. You need a very high level in Pistols to headshot even a basic grunt with it though, so using it in a stealth role is, ironically, one of its major weaknesses.

C-Euro posted:

Or is this a game where any weapon is just as viable as any other, if used properly?

If you're good enough you can make anything work. Despite having played this game for 10 years I only found out the other week that you can use Pepper Spray to get past laser tripwires, for example.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Is the stealth pistol you get after the first mission worth anything? I stuffed all the mods I found on Liberty Island into my 10mm, now suddenly I have this other pistol that is maybe better. Or is this a game where any weapon is just as viable as any other, if used properly?

You can't silence the 10mm, so even if it's way weaker than the 10mm, the stealth pistol is what I always use. It's up to you and your playstyle, though - the 10mm is much better if you're playing this as an FPS. Either gun will be godly in its chosen role by the time you max pistols and fully upgrade it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Edward Malus posted:

Despite having played this game for 10 years I only found out the other week that you can use Pepper Spray to get past laser tripwires, for example.

Wait, what? :monocle:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Doesn't either Biomod or Shifter break that?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

From my very first playthrough I always ditched the regular pistol in favour of the stealth. Its slightly less powerful but a headshots a headshot. A silent headshot.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Guns? You guys are animals :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Geight posted:

I think the idea was that it was a dry run for the actual large-scale viral infection carried on the PRCS Wall Cloud.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Witchfinder General posted:

Guns? You guys are animals :colbert:

I've actually been having a lot of fun taking people out with the mini-crossbow + tranq darts, but I'm too chickenshit to sneak up on guys with the baton in most cases. Stealth in this game is fun, but is there a way to toggle sneaking on/off the way you can toggle walk/run?

E: Any point in hanging onto the Crowbar if I have a Baton? I only really use the Crowbar for busting open crates and both weapons can do so in one hit.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 27, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yes, you can toggle crouch, there is an option for it. There is no 'stealth' mode: just crouch.

Edward Malus
Jan 13, 2012

HOW'D IT GET BURNED?

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, what? :monocle:

It's in the wiki, no less. Apparently it only works on some lasers (the blue ones, as far as I can gather), but I haven't got around to reinstalling to try it out yet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aaaaaaa this game is rad but there's so much to explore and do that every time I leave an area I feel like I'm missing something. And, based on a FAQ, I've missed two augmentation canisters already (in Castle Clinton and the NSF Warehouse in the city) and don't know how to go back and get them, if I even can :negative: Is it worth it to start over? I'm not that far and I could probably spend my skill points and weapon mods a bit better too (I get the feeling that accuracy mods and laser sight don't stack, that drat dot is all over the place).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 28, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Once you enter a helicopter you cannot go back, basically. So those canisters are lost to you.

It doesn't really matter much in the long run though. IIRC those augs are one of the worst (environmental/auqualung) and one of the best (speed/silent run), but they'll be available later on. You will get the speed/run one for free in the UNATCO HQ after you finish the next mission anyway.

Basically, the best augs are speed enhancement and regeneration, they open up a lot of areas and make combat way more easy. They are gotten for free at UNATCO HQ after mission 4 (airfield) and mission 5 (secret base).

For laser/accuracy: it does stack in shifter/biomod, not in vanilla. However, only skill levels really help in reducing sway, accuracy mods have a small effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

C-Euro posted:

based on a FAQ

What a shame.