Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LordZoric posted:

So I've decided to be masochistic and play through FFVIII again over Christmas. Does anybody have any fun and exciting ways to totally break the game?

Get Enc-None before departing for the Timber mission, and thereafter become stronger exclusively by playing Triple Triad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bongo Bill posted:

Get Enc-None before departing for the Timber mission, and thereafter become stronger exclusively by playing Triple Triad.

This is actually the way to play. Its amazing how much faster a FF game plays when you're only fighting bosses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're permitted to fight in order to gain enough AP to unlock GFs' important abilities, especially Carbuncle's refinement ability that permits the infinite gil loop, but try to use Card to end these battles without gaining any EXP.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Bear Sleuth posted:

Hey everyone who's been bitching, Dimensions is on Android.

Good, now bring TWEWY over to us.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

This is actually the way to play. Its amazing how much faster a FF game plays when you're only fighting bosses.

Well, except for how many hours it takes you to get to the point where you have Enc-None and have all of the magic and GF abilities you need to trick your party out by Carding or playing TT. But after that you kind of fly through disc 2 and 3.
You can get AP without EXP if you card enemies, getting refines isn't a problem for low level runs.

Hell, if you want to make the game harder try playing without using any refinement or Enc-None.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LordZoric posted:

Does II still have its... unique little battle system? Either way, I'm quite glad to see more FFs show up on Android. I'm looking forward to IV whenever it hits.

So I've decided to be masochistic and play through FFVIII again over Christmas. Does anybody have any fun and exciting ways to totally break the game?

It does, but the PSP(iOS) version seems a bit less retarded on hp gains and gives them at intervals so if you grind you'll end up strong as gently caress, like 8-9k HP on guy instead of 4-5k.

If I were to punish myself and replay it I'd probably just take the main 3 and give them each 1 elemental spell, cure, life, esuna, and then spread protect/blink/barrier and aura/haste/berserk across the 3 permanent characters. Realistically speaking, you don't need anything but Berserk and maybe Haste. At level 8 Aura wasn't very noticeable on berserk/hasted people.

Spend 1-2 hours getting their weapon skills to 12-13, then just berserk and haste to murder everything. The only thing you might need to focus on other than that is magic defense since if it's low you're just affected by everything, and if it's even 8-9 you're safe from a lot of annoying poo poo (especially if you throw in barrier).

Also in the Arcane Dungeons aisde from being able to fight Wizards in some maps, one of the maps you can reach after getting the ultima tome kw has a chest that always gives an Osmose tome on 'good' quality so don't be a dumbass like me and spend several hours trying to farm Wizards for a tome or two (I got zero) when you can just do 5-10 minute runs to grab tomes for everyone, even ricard just for the hell of it. Osomoe means infinite MP because even at level 1 it drains a ton from enemies (except undead).

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Do you guys think it'll hold at $20 or go back up to $30 after the Christmas sale?

I'll be surprised if $20 is the normal price for it. If it is then it means then it's a big :fuckoff: to iOS users since it's barely less than that when on sale.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Jump Festa is running on the 22nd and 23rd, and the games Square Enix will show are:

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX (PS3)
Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
Dragon Quest X (Wii, Wii U)
Gyrozetter (Arcade, 3DS)

If Versus XIII is not mentioned during the entire show, then you all have permission to call me a gullible twat for still looking forward to it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bongo Bill posted:

You're permitted to fight in order to gain enough AP to unlock GFs' important abilities, especially Carbuncle's refinement ability that permits the infinite gil loop, but try to use Card to end these battles without gaining any EXP.

Or, alternatively, fight Cactuars. Done.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

LordZoric posted:

Mod Quistis card for 3 Samantha Souls for 180 Triple spells. Junction to Strength on two characters (100/80 or 90/90 distribution).

Mod Zell card for 3 Hyper Wrists which teach Str +60% to three GFs of your choice. Combine with above. Optionally add Str +20% and Str +40% which Ifrit will learn naturally.

(Both of the above can be done before going to Timber on disc 1.)

Smack things so hard that they die in a single limit (or early enough in the game, a single regular attack) for nearly the whole game, with a trivial amount of effort. By the time things start putting up a fight, other good magic will be relatively easy to come by.

And in general, try to avoid levelling since enemies get more out of your levels than you do. Though don't kill yourself over avoiding every drop of experience, it's not that big a deal that it warrants the time and hassle. Learning Enc-None early is your friend.

(If that alone isn't enough game breaking for you, and it should be :colbert:, PM me and I'll give you a more thorough list of other things you can do.)

A better question would be how not to break FF8. Between:

- spammable limits for crazy high direct damage or super reliable instant kills depending on character (Selphie excepted)
- an innately abusable junction system (corollary: your characters' nearly complete separation between effectiveness and level unlike most FFs)
- an even more abusable junction system when you factor in rare card refinement (and to a lesser extreme, regular card refinement and refinement from normally-obtained items)

... you pretty much have to deliberately ignore game mechanics (e.g. never junction, rarely if ever use limits, rely heavily on summoning GFs for damage, actually act like magic is worth casting rather than worth treating as equipment) in order to have a hard time with it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOassM6f0g

aaaaaaaaaaaaa I want it so bad

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I really hope that video lasts more than a couple hours.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That loving Sned posted:

The Jump Festa is running on the 22nd and 23rd, and the games Square Enix will show are:

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX (PS3)
Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
Dragon Quest X (Wii, Wii U)
Gyrozetter (Arcade, 3DS)

If Versus XIII is not mentioned during the entire show, then you all have permission to call me a gullible twat for still looking forward to it.

I don't get how anyone could look forward to it with anything other than an "Oh that's still a thing" at this point, we still know gently caress all about what the game is like.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm interested in Versus 13 because the characters dress in normal, albeit dapper, clothing... based on what little I've seen :smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have somehow avoided most of the FF13 media including anything related to the spinoffs, but apparently Lightning is voiced by Liara T'Soni? Cool.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I'm about to play FF8 again since it first came out, and was wondering if there was a comprehensive guide on the best way to break the batte/experience system. I remember hearing things like if you keep Squall dead your party will level up but the monsters wont, and something about abusing the GF summons.

The only thing you need to do to break the game is draw spells like crazy and slot them. You can break the game before it really even progresses by spending 30 minutes or so drawing like crazy when you've come to a new area, and then you'll be doing 9999 damage ordinary attacks in no time. After the end of disc one you'll never encounter a single challenge again include the Weapons.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

New Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOassM6f0g

aaaaaaaaaaaaa I want it so bad

It needs sailors and Forklift racing.That and I really want a story that doesn't go off the rails into this metaphysical half-thought out Blade Runner/End of Evangelion type story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

It needs sailors and Forklift racing.That and I really want a story that doesn't go off the rails into this metaphysical half-thought out Blade Runner/End of Evangelion type story.

There is literally a 0% chance of that.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpAtom posted:

Good thing that mass effect screwed FF out of the crown for "Worst giant whale from outer space excuse for an ending", though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I just want to understand what is going on. Unless everything is based around Mash X to cut starship in half and scream loudly at antagonist.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I just want Lightning to wear those shades at all times, and say a bunch of lame one-liners. That'd be enough to make it the best Final Fantasy in a long time. Maybe ever.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

I just want Lightning to wear those shades at all times, and say a bunch of lame one-liners. That'd be enough to make it the best Final Fantasy in a long time. Maybe ever.

I hope it's a meta commentary on how the very plot has become detached from any form of structure. The story and order of events must be restored so you can have coherence and a logical order of events.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Only if they steal Wesker from MVC3's mechanic. A button that does nothing but take-off/put on your shades. It does nothing else and the shades have no effect on gameplay, but you still have an entire button for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you come into Lightning Returns hoping for a good story you deserve every bit of disappointment you get, the past two games have already shown that story is not FF13's strength, why in the hell are you hoping for LR to be better? What Cake Attack said is pretty much what I expect including fun gameplay and it's gonna be amazing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

If you come into Lightning Returns hoping for a good story you deserve every bit of disappointment you get, the past two games have already shown that story is not FF13's strength, why in the hell are you hoping for LR to be better? What Cake Attack said is pretty much what I expect including fun gameplay and it's gonna be amazing.

Eh, the setting and concept are already more interesting than XIII and XIII-2's, so we'll see. I like the idea of Luxarion and Novus Partus.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn't really mind the plot in XIII. XIII-2 threw the plot out for more fluid gameplay, which I appreciated, and I hope this one does it even more so.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It seems appropriate that Android Dimensions comes out on The Last Day Ever :v:

Also thank you SE for making it just one lowish price instead of chapter bullshit, but kinda sucks for those that want to try a demo.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oh so like, the Play store description says you can purchase the chiptune arrangement in game, but I enabled it and it didn't ask for payment.

I hope the Square Enix police don't arrest me :ohdear:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
By the way, the PC version of Final Fantasy VII is on sale for $6. The DRM is dumb as hell, and the achievements add virtually nothing to the experience, but other than that it's a good port with graphical options and controller support.

I really don't know why they haven't thrown it on Steam yet, though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I thought 13-2 had an interesting story, if not a very good one at least (this is probably because it was vaguely reminiscent of Nier to me).

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just want to understand what is going on.

Pretty much this. I don't care if the plot is some stupid "fix the time anomaly" stuff. I just want to understand what's going on and I want the story to be told normally with minimal amounts of flashy BS. But this is FF13.

Cake Attack posted:

She needs to make a whole bunch of time puns.

"The criminal always returns to the scene of the......................... TIME."

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Boten Anna posted:

Oh so like, the Play store description says you can purchase the chiptune arrangement in game, but I enabled it and it didn't ask for payment.

By default, you have access to the battle music chiptunes (or at least the regular battle ones, I forget if boss music is included).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cityinthesea posted:

I thought 13-2 had an interesting story, if not a very good one at least (this is probably because it was vaguely reminiscent of Nier to me).

I... I don't... Nier's story wasn't very good?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Eggie posted:

Pretty much this. I don't care if the plot is some stupid "fix the time anomaly" stuff. I just want to understand what's going on and I want the story to be told normally with minimal amounts of flashy BS. But this is FF13.

I honestly think they're going to explain absolutely nothing. I mean, the last time they did a direct sequel it was going from X to X-2 and while X-2 did it's own thing with the plot it was still very well connected to the game that came before.

One thing I really noticed going through XIII-2 is that it was almost completely disconnected from the game I had just played. Lightning's whole reason for disappearance is basically thought up from scratch in this game, along with probably half the plot and almost all the world-building. That's fine, and it worked, but when I took at that trailer (and it is admittedly very short) I see them presenting a plot that again doesn't seem like it has anything to do with the first two games in this trilogy which themselves weren't really that well connected to begin with!

It's still way too early to tell, of course, but if we end up with a game where they just dropped Lightning down as the main character and came up with an entirely new plot with only the most basic of connections to the previous games I won't be surprised. I'll just shrug and play through it for the gameplay, basically how I handled XIII and XIII-2. At least that is a strong theme for the trilogy.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Meiteron posted:

I honestly think they're going to explain absolutely nothing. I mean, the last time they did a direct sequel it was going from X to X-2 and while X-2 did it's own thing with the plot it was still very well connected to the game that came before.

One thing I really noticed going through XIII-2 is that it was almost completely disconnected from the game I had just played. Lightning's whole reason for disappearance is basically thought up from scratch in this game, along with probably half the plot and almost all the world-building. That's fine, and it worked, but when I took at that trailer (and it is admittedly very short) I see them presenting a plot that again doesn't seem like it has anything to do with the first two games in this trilogy which themselves weren't really that well connected to begin with!

It's still way too early to tell, of course, but if we end up with a game where they just dropped Lightning down as the main character and came up with an entirely new plot with only the most basic of connections to the previous games I won't be surprised. I'll just shrug and play through it for the gameplay, basically how I handled XIII and XIII-2. At least that is a strong theme for the trilogy.
While we don't know a whole lot yet, the world that Lightning is in is a direct result of the fallout from XIII-2. Time has stopped; no one lives, or dies, and chaos is eating away at the regular world. What is left is Luxarion and Novus Partus, two cities that are fused-together remnants of Cocoon and Pulse. In the concept art, you can see Valhalla and Cocoon 2.0 there. It may not seem immediately apparent, but that's what they're doing with Lightning Returns.

But who knows how they'll tie LR into the overarching series. XIII-2 seemed very disconnected at first, but its connections to the first game are more apparent as you play.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Those faces :stonk:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azure_Horizon posted:

I... I don't... Nier's story wasn't very good?

Nier's story on its own leaves a lot to be explained, such as stuff like the time jump at the beginning, why the world is the way it is and so on. While the game's own self-contained story is nice it leaves a lot to be desired in actual resolution.

I mean, I liked it too, but I could see why someone would feel Nier's story is kind of lacking.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It's like the Happy Mask Salesman had a daughter.

"You've met with a terrible fate, Lightning."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 22, 2012

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Nier's story on its own leaves a lot to be explained, such as stuff like the time jump at the beginning, why the world is the way it is and so on. While the game's own self-contained story is nice it leaves a lot to be desired in actual resolution.

I mean, I liked it too, but I could see why someone would feel Nier's story is kind of lacking.
I have a hard time remembering what's in the game and what's only in Grimoire Nier at this point, so I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty clear in the game what the time skip is about. It doesn't explicitly say "hey, you know the prologue that is 1300 years before the rest of the game where you're the same guy? That's because X" but the last part of the game more or less explains it.

They definitely don't give you all the information about what happened to cause everything, but I don't think any of that is really necessary. You don't need to know about the Drakengard connection, for example, to understand the plot of Nier, even though it does add a lot of detail to the background. That's why that stuff is in Grimoire Nier instead of the game itself. Personally, I like that not everything is fully explained and perfectly self-contained; it feels a lot more authentic that way.

Nier is a pretty cool game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Armor-Piercing posted:

I have a hard time remembering what's in the game and what's only in Grimoire Nier at this point, so I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty clear in the game what the time skip is about. It doesn't explicitly say "hey, you know the prologue that is 1300 years before the rest of the game where you're the same guy? That's because X" but the last part of the game more or less explains it.

They definitely don't give you all the information about what happened to cause everything, but I don't think any of that is really necessary. You don't need to know about the Drakengard connection, for example, to understand the plot of Nier, even though it does add a lot of detail to the background. That's why that stuff is in Grimoire Nier instead of the game itself. Personally, I like that not everything is fully explained and perfectly self-contained; it feels a lot more authentic that way.

Nier is a pretty cool game.
There's a bunch of documents you get towards the end of the game that more or less spill the whole point of the timeskip. I think that's the only huge mystery in NIER and the rest is minutiae covered by Grimoire NIER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like the Happy Mask Salesman had a daughter.

"You've met with a terrible fate, Lightning."

You can tell Lightning's thinking "Don't look directly at them...Don't look directly at them..."

I'm excited for the game, but I'm going to miss putting hats on my monster party members. :( If we can put hats on Lightning instead, I'll be satisfied.