Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

King Henry :swoon:

Favourite beer of all time, for sure. Had it three times this year, and I've thought the exact same thing every time I've had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

King Henry :swoon:

Favourite beer of all time, for sure. Had it three times this year, and I've thought the exact same thing every time I've had it.

I really hope GI brews this again, although I feel it's unlikely for the foreseeable future.

It didn't get distributed to OH because of the 12% abv cap, so I never got the chance to buy a bottle. I also never got the chance to try CBS, which is another beer I would have really loved to try when it was fresh. CBS was distributed to OH, I just never got the chance to buy a bottle, because it was released right around the same time I got into beer... and at the time I didn't quite think $18/bottle was worth it :doh:

Maybe I'll get the chance to taste/trade for a bottle of King Henry/CBS... until then, I can dream.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kudosx posted:

I really hope GI brews this again

We already have. :ssh: Although it won't be called King Henry, since we don't have the Pappy Van Winkle barrels to age it in this time, but more barleywine is already snoozing away in bourbon barrels as we speak.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Alesmith reportedly hitting Illinois in the next week (central first, then "northern"). I wonder if their distro area will be similar to Ballast Point, who basically hit every part of Illinois except around the Chicago area.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vertigo posted:

I know everyone is going to say "just go buy a Duvel set" but are there any good deals on quality tulip glasses out there?

Wine glasses are plus or minus the same thing and can probably be bought a couple bucks per from a restaurant supply or something otherwise you are pretty much stuck buying them with beer or arranging a deal with a bar owner for distributor glasses because the volume isn't really there for good prices on straight to consumer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I had Goose Island's Night Stalker and it had a strong soy sauce/vinegar aroma and finish, is this normal?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

When I was in Vegas, Blue Moon was the best beer I could get. For free, I mean. My wife went to Vegas for a conference last month and she called me up to bitch that she saw La Folie at a bar she asked about it and they told her it was 25 bucks.
I'm gonna guess that was at Public House. Place has good beer, but it's loving expensive. La Folie was $7 a pour at Aces while it lasted. They had Tart Lychee for $6 until it kicked this week. If you want good beer in Vegas, get off-Strip or prepare to pay the same markup people pay for wines down there.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

bartolimu posted:

La Folie was $7 a pour at Aces while it lasted. They had Tart Lychee for $6 until it kicked this week.

Whoa, that's pricy? Just asking since that's the usual price I've seen for them (or well, any other sour) :staredog:

Though there have been bars in Dallas that have reduced it for $3/pour mostly because the masses don't like sours and they want to get the keg killed off and rotated. Hey, more for me!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Whoa, that's pricy? Just asking since that's the usual price I've seen for them (or well, any other sour) :staredog:

Though there have been bars in Dallas that have reduced it for $3/pour mostly because the masses don't like sours and they want to get the keg killed off and rotated. Hey, more for me!

I think he meant that $7 is good (at Aces) while Grimace's wife's $25 per bottle (at Public House?) isn't.

Again, any opportunity to praise Aces and Ales I'll take: place was fuckin' boss.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Vertigo posted:

I know everyone is going to say "just go buy a Duvel set" but are there any good deals on quality tulip glasses out there?

If you have a Goodwill-type thrift store near you, check it out. They usually have shelves and shelves of glassware, and you can often find some quality stuff. I've gotten pints, pilsners, tulips (including a nice Ommegang one) and snifters there, all for $1 or less.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Tons of people get gift sets for Duvel, Chimay, etc. and never use the glass so it ends up at thrift stores for cheap.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Glottis posted:

Tons of people get gift sets for Duvel, Chimay, etc. and never use the glass so it ends up at thrift stores for cheap.

What the hell? Show me these people, I have a word for them :colbert:

I would totally buy 5 more Karmeliet glasses if I saw them at a thrift shop

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TenaciousTomato posted:

What the hell? Show me these people, I have a word for them :colbert:

Who needs fancy glasses? Sublimer sure didn't:

Forluhn
Dec 19, 2012

danbanana posted:

Who needs fancy glasses? Sublimer sure didn't:

Nice poster, x-files I'm guessing?

Slightly more on topic, props to Sublimer for introducing me to Cantillon amazing brewery!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hanging out at an airport bar in Philly waiting for a flight, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed by their selection:

Definitely considering getting the Blackout Stout, as I don't see Great Lakes much in my area of NJ.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Podima posted:

Hanging out at an airport bar in Philly waiting for a flight, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed by their selection:

Definitely considering getting the Blackout Stout, as I don't see Great Lakes much in my area of NJ.

god drat, which terminal? i'm always in terminal A which is awful

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Podima posted:

Ew, they don't list the prices. That's not a great sign to begin with, I can only image what it means in an airport bar.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Terminal B. There's apparently a location in D too but no idea if it's the same.

Also honestly, like half the bars I go to (exaggeration) don't list prices for drafts. It's an airport bar so I don't expect $3 pours though! Still worth it to try some new stuff on draft I haven't before. On that note, Great Lakes Burning River is pretty darn drinkable!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Vertigo posted:

I've had great luck with e-bay. Total Wine near me has the new cool red-painted Duvel tulip goblet for a decent price, too. World Market has some surprisingly cheap/good glassware also, and I keep meaning to go back and get some plastic tulips for snobby drinking at the lake.

Yesterday I grabbed some WIlliamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale. I am very much hoping that the lactose flavor isn't too prominent. I can handle it, but not a ton of it, and it may turn friends off completely. I also grabbed some of Anthem's "Hops" cider to mess with my family over the holidays.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Vertigo posted:

Check New Belgium's online store. I'm not sure if they are doing any kind of deals, but usually around Christmas, they run a sale.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

WIlliamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale

Stuff is great.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Conclusion of the Philly airport trip report: $6.25 for Burning River, $10.40 for Blackout Stout. Not great, not "cut your wallet open" terrible.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Podima posted:

Conclusion of the Philly airport trip report: $6.25 for Burning River, $10.40 for Blackout Stout. Not great, not "cut your wallet open" terrible.

Not bad at all. I paid $7.50 for a Sam Adams in the Orlando Airport last week.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

Yesterday I grabbed some WIlliamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale. I am very much hoping that the lactose flavor isn't too prominent. I can handle it, but not a ton of it, and it may turn friends off completely.

more for you. seriously, this is probably the best beer in the state, not to mention one of the easiest-drinking BA stouts you're gonna find. stock up.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

more for you. seriously, this is probably the best beer in the state, not to mention one of the easiest-drinking BA stouts you're gonna find. stock up.

Excellent news; I'll see if I can pop one tonight while they're still on the shelf. Their BA porter is fantastic, though not totally consistent among the many bottles I drank. I suspect this was more age-related than anything though. 2-6 months in seemed to be the right balance point for me.

I saw that the Schlafly 21st Scotch Barrel thing hit shelves today, but I think it'll be gone from my local bottle shop before I get home. If I want it I'll probably have to hit up my more secret locations.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

danbanana posted:

Alesmith reportedly hitting Illinois in the next week (central first, then "northern"). I wonder if their distro area will be similar to Ballast Point, who basically hit every part of Illinois except around the Chicago area.

gently caress come to Chicago already :swoon:

(both of these breweries)

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Shared a 2006 Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien and Firestone Walker XV last night, both are tremendous. BCBS tonight. It's been a good week.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vertigo posted:

Depending on how tulipey you want it, I've really been loving these glasses

http://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-Cla...=spiegelau+beer

e: forewarning, Spiegelau glassware is incredibly thin (wine glass thin) and quite strong. Awesome to drink from. Their tall wheat glass is 24 oz and rules a whole bunch, too.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 22, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Excellent news; I'll see if I can pop one tonight while they're still on the shelf. Their BA porter is fantastic, though not totally consistent among the many bottles I drank. I suspect this was more age-related than anything though. 2-6 months in seemed to be the right balance point for me.

consistency has been a stumbling block for them, but it seems like their brewer has mostly gotten a handle on poo poo in the past year or two. the BBP was a bit hot this year, but still tasty, and Cafe Royale is never not good. Coffeehouse Stout is also great if you haven't had it, but the lactose is a little more apparent in that one. if you like IPAs and they brew Bitter Valentine again, jump all over that- a lot of people think that's their best beer.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I drank a bottle of Two Brothers Revelry the other night. I can distinguish the differences between beer and subtleties within different types of beer. However, this beer blew me away and I don't know why. The label claimed it was 124 or thereabouts IBUs, but I was not blown back by any overload of hoppyness. Can any of you (I assume there's a few) help me figure out what I was tasting?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

By the way, I'll be in DC starting the day after Christmas, so if anyone's nearby, let's go have a drink.

Very much enjoying being back in Flavor Founders Country.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Black Note is back in bottles at Bell's. Merry Christmas to me!

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
So glad Cigar City decided to can their florida cracker wit. Definitely will be replacing wittekerke as my beach/river beer of choice. Tastes dry because of the saison yeast yet still has all those good citrus oils from the curacao.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

By the way, I'll be in DC starting the day after Christmas, so if anyone's nearby, let's go have a drink.

guessing you don't have a car, huh?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Midorka posted:

I had Goose Island's Night Stalker and it had a strong soy sauce/vinegar aroma and finish, is this normal?

I hate Night Stalker, it's pretty bad.

Pretty excited to have the Expedition Stout, havent had it in like a year.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 22, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

^^ Go grab a beer with SUPER HASSLER if you can!

In Houston and just picked up more of the Stone Mint Chocolate Stout. Planning to fill a growler of Karbach Bourbon Barrel Aged Hellfighter too. Phenomenal barrel aged porter.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

air- posted:

In Houston and just picked up more of the Stone Mint Chocolate Stout. Planning to fill a growler of Karbach Bourbon Barrel Aged Hellfighter too. Phenomenal barrel aged porter.

I'm in California and we still haven't gotten Mint Chocolate Stout. We're never going to are we?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

i want him to grab a beer with me at Hardywood (and then maybe a side trip to Mekong).

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

air- posted:

Where? For both, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Black Note is back in bottles at Bell's. Merry Christmas to me!

:aaaaa:

Do you live really close? If so, could I trouble you for one? Would make a great belated Christmas present for the wife (local bar had it on tap in Feb and she went bonkers for it)..