Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Here's the description of Shaun of the Dead, shamelessly stolen from Film School Rejects.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/14-great-moments-of-foreshadowing-in-movies-dbell.php

quote:

Ed describes his drinking plan for the following day with Shaun – saying that they should have “A bloody Mary first thing, a bite at the King’s Head, couple at The Little Princess, stagger back here and bang… back at the bar for shots.” Which is exactly what they do in the film – killing a zombie with the nametag ‘Mary’ followed by going to Shaun’s stepfather’s place to see that he’s been bitten, followed by picking up Shaun’s love interest and her friends before pretending to be zombies while going back to the pub where they find themselves warding off zombies with a gun. He literally describes the entire plot in a sentence – how awesome is that?

The link above has a lot of foreshadowing/subtle moments, many of which have already been covered in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah we had a bunch of Shaun of the Dead stuff in this thread a while back. I liked how each version of their plan involves killing Shaun's stepdad, and with each iteration they go through Shaun goes from a tearful "I'm so sorry" to a casual "sorry!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Edgar Wright is basically the king of subtle movie moments, especially all the little things in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. That movie had crazy amount of detail and love put into it.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Coffee And Pie posted:

Edgar Wright is basically the king of subtle movie moments, especially all the little things in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. That movie had crazy amount of detail and love put into it.

It wasn't exactly subtle, but I did like the little "0-7" motif the movie had with Scott and the Exs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

prahanormal posted:

It wasn't exactly subtle, but I did like the little "0-7" motif the movie had with Scott and the Exs.

Care to elaborate?

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

Wild T posted:

I like the idea that the first time he does it, it's because he's unfamiliar with the station and eager to get out and bust criminals. So he goes too fast, bottoms out on the ramp and throws a few sparks.

The next time he does it, he's driving the same car with computer-controlled driving abilities and his normal measured, deliberate pace. But the car still bottoms out because now he's just freaking heavy.

When RoboCop did it, I always took it to mean Murphy's personality (and driving habits) was in Robo's subconscious. Like twirling the gun.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Care to elaborate?

Scott is #0, he drinks coke zero, he wears t-shirt with a 0, he's called a zero by other characters.

Patel is #1, the first evil ex. You only see one eye, he has is called "that one guy" His shoulder chevron looks like a one, Scott gets 1000 points when he defats him.

Lucas Lee comes out of trailer #2, brags he'll kick your rear end in two minutes. Goes down a staircase with like two hundred steps. He has the number 2 tatooed on his neck, has a belt buckle with two Xs on it, and Scott gets 2000 points when he defeats him.

Todd Ingram wears a t-shirt with a 3 on it, throws Scott into trashcans with the #3 on it. Scott gets 3000 points.

Roxy Richter fights in the club called 4. Scott gets 4000 points.

Katayanagi twins (5 and 6) turn the amp to 11. Their dragons logo form 5 and 6. They have the #5 on one sleeve and the other has 6 dots.

When Scott goes to fight Gideon he's going to "Level 7" Each hipster Scott fights awards 700 points. Gideon's sword's card reads "Hair x7, Blade x7, Cockiness x7, Style x7" and ends the fight with 7 billion coins and 7000 points.

Probably a few being missed.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hughlander posted:

Scott is #0, he drinks coke zero, he wears t-shirt with a 0, he's called a zero by other characters.

Patel is #1, the first evil ex. You only see one eye, he has is called "that one guy" His shoulder chevron looks like a one, Scott gets 1000 points when he defats him.

Lucas Lee comes out of trailer #2, brags he'll kick your rear end in two minutes. Goes down a staircase with like two hundred steps. He has the number 2 tatooed on his neck, has a belt buckle with two Xs on it, and Scott gets 2000 points when he defeats him.

Todd Ingram wears a t-shirt with a 3 on it, throws Scott into trashcans with the #3 on it. Scott gets 3000 points.

Roxy Richter fights in the club called 4. Scott gets 4000 points.

Katayanagi twins (5 and 6) turn the amp to 11. Their dragons logo form 5 and 6. They have the #5 on one sleeve and the other has 6 dots.

When Scott goes to fight Gideon he's going to "Level 7" Each hipster Scott fights awards 700 points. Gideon's sword's card reads "Hair x7, Blade x7, Cockiness x7, Style x7" and ends the fight with 7 billion coins and 7000 points.

Probably a reach but during Roxy and Ramona's relationship, there were 4 different X Chromosomes in play.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
One of the better subtle things about Scott Pilgrim is how unabashedly Canadian it is, but full of things you have to be familiar with Canada to notice: Pizza Pizza, Plumtree, Second Cup, the "gold" coins are all Loonies, Clash at Demonhead's big song is a Metric cover, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

One of the better subtle things about Scott Pilgrim is how unabashedly Canadian it is, but full of things you have to be familiar with Canada to notice: Pizza Pizza, Plumtree, Second Cup, the "gold" coins are all Loonies, Clash at Demonhead's big song is a Metric cover, etc.

They also pronounce Toronto correctly in the intro, even though Bill Hader who does the narration is American.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't have a screencap handy, but when Scott is walking through the snow leading up to his first encounter with Roxy there's one part where there are literally 7 "x"s on screen thanks to a railroad crossing sign.

Also when he and Ramona are talking on the bus all the little blips of light in the background are shaped like hearts when Scott is talking while they're shaped like "X"s when it's Ramona.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hughlander posted:

Lucas Lee comes out of trailer #2, brags he'll kick your rear end in two minutes. Goes down a staircase with like two hundred steps. He has the number 2 tattooed on his neck, has a belt buckle with two Xs on it, and Scott gets 2000 points when he defeats him.

He also points using two fingers.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Caught Jumanji on TV today...Alan's (the Robin Williams hero character who gets stuck in the game for 20 years) father and the evil British hunter guy are played by the same actor, which gives a subtly Freudian undertone to the movie that I never noticed before.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Speaking of when a movie describes what's going to happen...

imdb posted:

[Quaid points a gun at Dr. Edgemar's head]
Douglas Quaid: All right, let's say you're telling the truth and this is all a dream. I could pull this trigger and it won't matter.
Dr. Edgemar: It won't make the slightest difference to me Doug, but the consequences to you will be devastating. In your mind, I'll be dead, and with no one to guide you out, you'll be stuck here in permanent psychosis. The walls of reality will come crashing down around you. One minute, you're the savior of the rebel cause; next thing you know, you'll be Cohaagen's bosom buddy. You'll even have fantasies about alien civilizations as you requested; but in the end, back on Earth, you'll be lobotomized! So get a grip on yourself, Doug, and put down that gun!

So as soon as Quaid pops that guy in the head, the soldiers literally crash though the walls, then everything else he says happens.

AceOfJacks13
Mar 27, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Before the Katayanagi fight, he's wearing a Fantastic Four shirt with "1/2" drawn on the side of the logo. This is shortly after he and Ramona break up, indicating he is halfway to becoming another Evil Ex. Or, that he has beaten the first four exes and is not quite to five and six yet. It works on both levels.

Also, the guy from the party who knows everybody is also at Gideon's party at the end. The first time Scott shows up, he's talking about albums, and the second time, he's talking about how the comic book is much better than the movie.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Aphrodite posted:

They also pronounce Toronto correctly in the intro, even though Bill Hader who does the narration is American.

Wait, I can't place it in the movie. What is the correct pronunciation? I've always said "Terr-ron-no." Is that wrong?

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Dec 23, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, that's right.

Americans usually pronounce the second T. Canadians don't. Hell, some people don't even pronounce the first O and you get "Tronno".

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Just watched Drive for the first time tonight (I know, shut up). Spoiling for ending details:

Early in the movie Driver has a staring contest with Benicio that he wins when the kid blinks. At the end he has a staring contest with the audience, winning when the audience assumes he's dead before he finally closes his eyes.

Might be a little bit of a stretch but I thought it was clever.

Critical has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Dec 23, 2012

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

No, that's right.

Americans usually pronounce the second T. Canadians don't. Hell, some people don't even pronounce the first O and you get "Tronno".

I've been repeating it to myself and when I'm not enunciating and focusing on it I'm definitely saying Tronno. I've been told I sound like people in Windsor, which makes a little sense, I suppose.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

sticklefifer posted:

Beyond this, there are things that are specifically Torontonian. In particular Sonic Boom, the record store they shop at, and Casa Loma, where Lucas Lee's movie is being shot.

Knives's school is also an actual high school, St. Michael's. When my roommate saw it, he went "Hey, that's my school. There aren't any girls allowed there!" It's an all boys school :v:.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
A couple things I noticed watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation:

When Cousin Eddie comes to visit, I always thought in the next scene the two were drinking out of cups shaped like Bullwinkle from Rocky and Bullwinkle. I never made the connection that they're actually Wally the Moose cups from Wally World, which of course was the first Vacation movie! :eng101: Blew my mind when I finally realized that.

Secondly, and this one is admittedly a stretch, the delivery guy who comes to the door with Clark's "bonus check" works for Speedball Delivery. John Belushi, who worked with Chevy Chase on the first season of SNL, died from a speedball. Again, that one's a bit of a stretch but still weird.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

MichiganCubbie posted:

I've been repeating it to myself and when I'm not enunciating and focusing on it I'm definitely saying Tronno. I've been told I sound like people in Windsor, which makes a little sense, I suppose.

Ive lived in Windsor my whole life and I didn't know we had a specific "sound". Can you explain?

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Caught Jumanji on TV today...Alan's (the Robin Williams hero character who gets stuck in the game for 20 years) father and the evil British hunter guy are played by the same actor, which gives a subtly Freudian undertone to the movie that I never noticed before.

I never noticed this until I saw it yesterday as well. It actually becomes more obvious when you consider the text on the board before he comes out, something along the lines of him making you feel like a child.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

So far, I've only rad the comics. Did "Honest Ed's" make it into the movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patchwork Shaman posted:

So far, I've only rad the comics. Did "Honest Ed's" make it into the movie?

They tried to film in there but it just didn't work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't they mention it, though?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Aphrodite posted:

Don't they mention it, though?

It's in the background of a shot.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Hughlander posted:

"You made me swallow my gum. THAT'S GONNA BE IN MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM FOR SEVEN YEARS!"

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jay 2K Winger posted:

"You made me swallow my gum. THAT'S GONNA BE IN MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM FOR SEVEN YEARS!"

Does Gideon break a mirror at any point? Because if he doesn't that's a missed opportunity.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Leovinus posted:

Does Gideon break a mirror at any point? Because if he doesn't that's a missed opportunity.

No, but Scott stared into Gideon's discarded glasses after defeating him, which is when the ultimate battle began. Scott vs Nega-Scott... a total anticlimax, as they just decide to go get coffee later.

Another 7-thing for Gideon. His name is Gideon G. Graves. G is the 7th letter of the alphabet.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Farbtoner posted:

I don't have a screencap handy, but when Scott is walking through the snow leading up to his first encounter with Roxy there's one part where there are literally 7 "x"s on screen thanks to a railroad crossing sign.

I seem to recall there being 5, because at that point Scott had only defeated two of the evil exes, thus there were five left...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SkunkDuster posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever watched "The Last Temptation of Christ" or "The Deer Hunter"? Both of those seem like interesting movies to me, and I have tried to watch each of them several times, but ended up falling asleep every time.

I know I'm way late to the party here, but I don't even care because this is super important: The Last Temptation of Christ is the best Jesus Movie ever made. It sucks that the ending feels crazy rushed, but that movie is a masterpiece and there is nothing more to be said on the matter.

It is a little surreal watching the Green Goblin playing Jesus, though.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Time_pants posted:

It is a little surreal watching the villain from "Speed 2: Cruise Control" playing Jesus, though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Old James posted:

quote:

It is a little surreal watching the Agent Smecker playing Jesus, though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Time_pants posted:

It isn't much of a stretch watching Elias playing Jesus, though.

One of these days, I'll get around to finishing it. Like I said, it does seem like a good movie, but there is something about it (and The Deer Hunter and The Godfather) that just puts my rear end right to sleep. I'd really like to see The Godfather II, but I have to make it through The Godfather, first. That huge part in the middle where he goes back to Sicily and has the wedding and all that is just so damned boring.

Skunkduster has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Dec 25, 2012

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I rewatched Megamind recently and caught something that I didn't before. At the beginning, Megamind is in jail, and he and the Warden talk for a bit. The Warden makes an off-hand comment about Megamind's 85 life sentences that he's serving. Near the end of the movie, when Megamind is in jail again, the Warden makes another similar comment, only this time he says Megamind has 88 life sentences. Megamind's actions up to that point earned him three more sentences.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
to add to the Shaun of the Dead references..

did anyone catch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCvYdrYGr8o&t=7s
This.. seems to be homage to

http://youtu.be/UYR3dorshwA

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

did anyone catch this?

Yeah, that's one of the more obvious references, anyone who ever saw Night will have gotten that. I forget the other specific references to the first Romero movie - Shaun works for Foree Electronics, which is a Dawn reference, and Bub's Pizza is in homage to Day Of The Dead.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

This isn't a Romero reference, but remember when Shaun is at work and he's the most senior person there?

quote:

I'm afraid Ash is feeling a little bit under the weather, so I will be taking charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

did anyone catch this?

Pegg called Romero after the premier, and the reference went over his head.