Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Look at you elitist snobs with your fancy knives. I've been sharpening my old credit cards with the Edge of Glory and they can cut vegetables just fine
It looks like they're trying to "cut" that loaf of bread with a two-by doorstop in the second shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Hauki posted:

It looks like they're trying to "cut" that loaf of bread with a two-by doorstop in the second shot.

It would have worked if they had sharpened it with the EDGE OF GLORY .

I wonder if the user's manual states how many uses before your knives are rendered completely unusable?

Although it has given me the idea of becoming a superhero who saves people from bad fiscal decisions by throwing sharpened credit cards at them like throwing stars.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hauki posted:

I love these infomercials, I especially love the product demonstrations of what the problem they've invented to solve is.

People this stupid shouldn't be allowed popcorn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho3J9NOQy8k

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
But how else am I supposed to not eat the unpopped kernels? Do you expect me to pay attention to each and every bite?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doh004 posted:

But how else am I supposed to not eat the unpopped kernels? Do you expect me to pay attention to each and every bite?
it's the difference between 'sweet puffy goodness' and "OH GOD HARD LITTLE BALL OW'. how someone would mix the two is vexing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't know. I use an air popper and there are probably only 2-5 unpopped kernels per big ol batch and they all stay in the machine. Never had this problem since switching to an air popper.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Ever try to eat popcorn while watching a movie, i.e. with the lights off? It's still a stupid product but it does address a (very very small) problem.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The unpopped kernels fall to the bottom anyway.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know. I use an air popper and there are probably only 2-5 unpopped kernels per big ol batch and they all stay in the machine. Never had this problem since switching to an air popper.

How do you manage to make popcorn not taste like cardboard in an air popper? I've never had luck with those machines, which is why I've gotten so good at popping on the stove. Yeah, there's like 5 or 10 kernels that are unpopped, but the oil makes it so that the salt and things stick to the banged grains.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

How do you manage to make popcorn not taste like cardboard in an air popper? I've never had luck with those machines, which is why I've gotten so good at popping on the stove. Yeah, there's like 5 or 10 kernels that are unpopped, but the oil makes it so that the salt and things stick to the banged grains.

Season it just like you would any other food silly.

Some fresh extra virgin oil and some fine sea salt so good.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

My dad just bought a Big Green Egg and I'd like to get him a clamp-on grill light for Xmas. Unfortunately every grill light I've ever used or come across has been a shoddy overpriced piece of Made-In-China poo poo. Does anyone make a decent battery powered grill light or should I just not bother?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

dino. posted:

I melt some butter and carefully drip it over the popcorn, while doing a lot of tossing and mixing in a big bowl to avoid soggy areas. I also use very finely ground salt. I'd actually probably use the product in the video if I had one, but I have no desire to buy one and store it.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

My dad just bought a Big Green Egg and I'd like to get him a clamp-on grill light for Xmas. Unfortunately every grill light I've ever used or come across has been a shoddy overpriced piece of Made-In-China poo poo. Does anyone make a decent battery powered grill light or should I just not bother?

Maybe get him a decent headlamp instead? Everyone I know who has a smoker and is up at 4 AM fiddling with them has a headlamp.

mbottoms
Nov 15, 2012

Wouldn't you like to...

Bob_McBob posted:

I melt some butter and carefully drip it over the popcorn, while doing a lot of tossing and mixing in a big bowl to avoid soggy areas. I also use very finely ground salt. I'd actually probably use the product in the video if I had one, but I have no desire to buy one and store it.

I pop on the stove with clarified butter instead of vegetable oil.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
My parents are looking for kitchen appliances to replace their old crappy stuff and finally have a kitchen that functions at max capacity but they're having trouble narrowing it down. Any recommendations on brands or things to watch out for?

They've been looking at LGs, here are some of the model numbers:

quote:

LG LSE3092 ST stainless steel 30" electric range
LG LDF7561ST 24" stainless steel built-in dishwasher
LG LMVH1813ST stainless steel over the counter microwave 400 CFM exhaust fan
LG LFX28978ST 27.6 cubic ft French-door bottom- freezer refrigerator

Thanks!

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
My dad has one of those over counter microwaves that replaces a range hood in his kitchen (it's even an LG), and I despise it when I cook at his place. The fan doesn't work as well as a real hood, and more importantly the light is dim and doesn't point far enough forward. It was also a loving pain in the rear end to install.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We went with a full range hood and no microwave. I'm happy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would like a couple more opinions on this, as I was actually contemplating getting a microwave hood to save some counter space.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Steve Yun posted:

I would like a couple more opinions on this, as I was actually contemplating getting a microwave hood to save some counter space.

I've never had one myself, but my friend rents a house with one. It doesn't do poo poo (just a vague hint of suction). I thought for the longest time it just sucked because it was cheap and old, but the microwave died a few months back and the newer, shinier replacement doesn't do poo poo either. Some day I will climb to the roof and see if it is plugged up or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looks like most internet reviews feel the same, so I guess that's a few hundred bucks saved.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Personally, I would get a real range hood and either a little under-cabinet or under-counter microwave, or a little regular model to stick in a corner. Lots of people just skip the microwave, but I do miss having them for the occasional food warming, pre-cooking vegetables, butter melting, and so on.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Microwave hoods loving suck. Mine merely sucks up the air/smoke and shoots it out the top of the microwave, in my apartment. Either it's poorly designed or the contractors who renovated my apartment sucked rear end and were too lazy to implement actual ventilation.

Come to think of it, my apartment doesn't even have a smoke detector.

lovely contractors.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Doh004 posted:

Microwave hoods loving suck. Mine merely sucks up the air/smoke and shoots it out the top of the microwave, in my apartment. Either it's poorly designed or the contractors who renovated my apartment sucked rear end and were too lazy to implement actual ventilation.

lovely contractors.

That's pretty standard for apartments isn't it though? It's not like they can knock a hole through the wall straight to the outside in most layouts. Would you rather have an effective hood or a window in your bedroom and living room? Most folks would choose the windows, and according to my local building code, it's mandatory.

You should get on them about the smoke detector though. Check the local codes because you might need a CO2 alarm or a combo unit as well.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doh004 posted:

lovely contractors.

Perhaps a charcoal filter would help?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Lung posted:

My parents are looking for kitchen appliances to replace their old crappy stuff and finally have a kitchen that functions at max capacity but they're having trouble narrowing it down. Any recommendations on brands or things to watch out for?

They've been looking at LGs, here are some of the model numbers:

Thanks!

Major appliances are a bit out of the context of this thread, but I can only say one word: Bosch.

All German appliances. :fap:

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Bosch :black101:

After reading this thread, I decided that I need a dutch oven. Recommend me one not to pricey.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Niagalack posted:

After reading this thread, I decided that I need a dutch oven. Recommend me one not to pricey.

I have the batali enameled cast iron, a bit cheaper than le cruset but just as good. I would just check homegoods/marshalls/tj maxx etc. as you can sometimes find good deals on LC stuff.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Niagalack posted:

I have the Tramontina one Walmart sells and it works great. Probably the best you'll get on the cheap end without stalking home goods, I think CI or some one ranked it second to le creuset.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doodarazumas posted:

I have the Tramontina one Walmart sells and it works great. Probably the best you'll get on the cheap end without stalking home goods, I think CI or some one ranked it second to le creuset.

Does Lodge make any enameled cast iron products? I'm lucky to have a Le Creuset outlet store near my area that sells their "imparfait" stuff for really cheap, but unfortunately not everyone is so lucky.

Enameled cast iron or GTFO.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I will check the one suggested at Walmart. I wish I could afford Le Creuset but I have many other priority to satisfy at this moment.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Zeno-25 posted:

Does Lodge make any enameled cast iron products?
Yes they do. $50 or so. Made in China, unlike their other cast iron products.

quote:

I'm lucky to have a Le Creuset outlet store near my area that sells their "imparfait" stuff for really cheap, but unfortunately not everyone is so lucky.
TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, HomeGoods will have Le Creuset overstock every now and then for $130, and other brands for cheaper.

quote:

Meh. It's not that big of a deal, really. 90% of what anyone would need to do with cast iron dutch oven can be done with a steel pot. I was all gungho about getting one but after having it for a year my steel pot is the one that sees all the action.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 22, 2012

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
On the other side of the coin, I have a Wagner solid cast iron dutch oven that's absolute tits. The thing is a work horse that has handled absolutely everything I've thrown at it and then some, but you'd probably have to keep your eyes open at garage sales to find one at a reasonable price (I got mine for $30 and I'd imagine it's worth much more than that). If you can locate one, though, I'd recommend it 100%.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you have to go enamel I would go Staub over Le Creuset any day.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Zeno-25 posted:

Does Lodge make any enameled cast iron products? I'm lucky to have a Le Creuset outlet store near my area that sells their "imparfait" stuff for really cheap, but unfortunately not everyone is so lucky.

I've been using an enameled Lodge for about two years now. It's still holding up great (a few chips in the lid from where I dropped it in my sink), but I wish it had the little bumps on the underside of the lid like the non-enameled ones do. Not sure if this happens with all enamel or not, but the bottom of mine is scratched to bejesus and back from using a metal whisk on roux. Doesn't seem to really effect anything but it does get stained pretty fast. Either way, it's my workhorse pan, and I use it for nearly everything I cook. A Staub would be badass, though...

Can anyone point me towards some good heat diffusers? My ancient-rear end gas range has these tiny little burners on it, most of my good pans are pretty huge, so I want to spread the heat around a little nicer. Any way I can find just round slabs of cast iron?

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 22, 2012

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Thanks all, appreciate the advice on the big appliances. I'll tell them to go German or meekly cook their food for the rest of their lives.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Radio Help posted:

I've been using an enameled Lodge for about two years now. It's still holding up great (a few chips in the lid from where I dropped it in my sink), but I wish it had the little bumps on the underside of the lid like the non-enameled ones do. Not sure if this happens with all enamel or not, but the bottom of mine is scratched to bejesus and back from using a metal whisk on roux. Doesn't seem to really effect anything but it does get stained pretty fast. Either way, it's my workhorse pan, and I use it for nearly everything I cook. A Staub would be badass, though...
Enamel is pretty tough, but does eventually get scratched. Haha how much roux do you make

I have a Staub and I'm told the enameling they use on the inside is a tougher kind that doesn't get scratched as easily as most other enamelware. I don't know how true this is, but it's black so at least it would hide any scratches pretty well. That also makes it a little harder to see how much fond is in the bottom, but oh well.

quote:

Can anyone point me towards some good heat diffusers? My ancient-rear end gas range has these tiny little burners on it, most of my good pans are pretty huge, so I want to spread the heat around a little nicer. Any way I can find just round slabs of cast iron?

Cast iron 7 inch $16
http://www.amazon.com/Ilsa-7-Inch-Cast-Iron-Diffuser/dp/B000I1WO8C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356197506&sr=8-2&keywords=heat+diffuser

Cast iron 8.25 inch $33
http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Diffuser-Handle-Ilsa/dp/B0007T25ZC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1356197506&sr=8-7&keywords=heat+diffuser

Nordicware Aluminum 8 inch $15
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Tamer-Burner-Plate/dp/B00004W4UJ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356197506&sr=8-6&keywords=heat+diffuser

Kuhn Rikon Aluminum 9 inch $34
http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Energy-9-inch-Protector/dp/B0016IQCM0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1356197506&sr=8-8&keywords=heat+diffuser

I have the 7 inch cast iron one but don't use it often because my burners are good enough. Aluminum is a better heat distributor than cast iron, but they're covered in some non-stick coating which may deteriorate over time if you're always using it on high heat.

edit: if you really wanna go ghetto, just use a large skillet as a heat diffuser (Stainless steel or cast iron. Non-stick will get scratched up!)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 22, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The black enamel in the Staubs isn't that big of a deal and I haven't had a problem seeing the fond. You can feel the fond with your utensil anyway. The white enamel in Le Creusets just ends up discolored and gross looking with time anyway. Staubs have the condensation dimples that Le Creusets don't have. They are also considerably thicker all around with more overlap on the lip of the lid with a tighter fitting seal and a metal lid handle/buttonthing (plastic on Le Creuset).

Aesthetically, I think the exterior enamel job on the Staubs look prettier, too, with more depth and shimmer compared to the more flat looking LCs. All of this for marginally more money (you're paying a shitton anyway, might as well do it right).

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

GrAviTy84 posted:

a metal lid handle/buttonthing (plastic on Le Creuset).

It's Bakelite! It holds up to reasonably high baking temperatures, and it won't burn you if you forget and touch it before it cools down.

This is a pretty small advantage, and I prefer Staub myself, but it's not like they cheaped out and made it out of a recycled Happy Meal toy or something.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll admit I own Le Creuset, but they sell all metal handles pretty cheap on Amazon.

I agree they should come standard, especially for the price, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

I'll admit I own Le Creuset

Oh, the shame! :p

• Locked thread