Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Linedance posted:

depends on the bike. Old bikes, yeah, but newer ones with newer electrics should output a higher voltage at idle. You've got ECUs to power and fuel injectors to run, you don't want your battery discharging. My 06 Pegaso put out a solid 14v at idle.

I don't know about how much it outputs when idling, but my '09 FZ6 will not charge at idle. I need to ride it for at least 25 minutes before I can shut her off and back on without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Tamir Lenk posted:

I think he gets that, though why would you idle a bike for 45 minutes?

I'm afraid I didn't. Just kept it moving between 2 and 3k rpm in the "garage" while I read a book.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

I'm afraid I didn't. Just kept it moving between 2 and 3k rpm in the "garage" while I read a book.

Oh, then get a trickle charger. It's much better than risking the engine heat and CO poisoning to spend 45 minutes not charging your battery.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Tamir Lenk posted:

Oh, then get a trickle charger. It's much better than risking the engine heat and CO poisoning to spend 45 minutes not charging your battery.

Ach, the garage has no roof, and I don't think cutting off oxygen to my brain would really do much more damage. And yeah, I might get one after christmas. New battery has bike working a charm, and once it stops raining the charger is getting tested.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Post moved, sorry about the confusion!

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 20, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wootcannon posted:

At least you did something productive while draining your battery!

Don't fret it, next time just ride around for a bit to charge it up.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

nsaP posted:

At least you did something productive while draining your battery!

Don't fret it, next time just ride around for a bit to charge it up.

And make sure to ride it at RPMs that will charge (usually >4,000 or so, but YMMV).

Putting around the neighborhood below that won't do it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Wulframn posted:

Oh mighty hive of motorcycle omniscience, I approach you this day that I might beseech your wisdom, that you might shine your favor upon your humble servant!

I needeth a new helmet, one of the modular variety with integrated sunglasses that it might blocketh the sun's harsh rays from your servant's eyes. I beg of thee that it might cost less than $200, that thine servant's wallet might not wail in despair.

Seriously, thanks in advance guys. :v:

Your question is a valid one, however this is a thread for questions about motorcycles, not gear. The correct thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=263
As penance, you must post a 60 minute Youtube video on the importance of proper chain maintenance including but not limited to: checking slack; adjusting; lubing; cleaning; checking for kinks; replacing an old chain; fun uses for used chains.
I expect a link within 24 hours. Double spaced. 12pt font. As it is the holiday season, you should wear a Santa hat during the video.

Revzilla has the Shark Evoline ST on sale for a bit over $200.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-2-st-helmet

There's also the Bell Revolver for $200. The reviews are high, but I've seen opinions vary on it.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-revolver-evo-helmet-solid

You've also got the Nolan N90 for $210. Buy this one. My opinion is biased towards Nolan because I love my N43.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n90-n-com-helmet

If you really want to go budget, HJC is a decent choice.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-max-bt-bluetooth-helmet

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Seems to me that all helmets with integrated 'slide-down' visors have a weak spot right in the forehead area.

Confirm/deny?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Pope Mobile posted:

Your question is a valid one, however this is a thread for questions about motorcycles, not gear. The correct thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=263
As penance, you must post a 60 minute Youtube video on the importance of proper chain maintenance including but not limited to: checking slack; adjusting; lubing; cleaning; checking for kinks; replacing an old chain; fun uses for used chains.
I expect a link within 24 hours. Double spaced. 12pt font. As it is the holiday season, you should wear a Santa hat during the video.

Revzilla has the Shark Evoline ST on sale for a bit over $200.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-2-st-helmet

There's also the Bell Revolver for $200. The reviews are high, but I've seen opinions vary on it.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-revolver-evo-helmet-solid

You've also got the Nolan N90 for $210. Buy this one. My opinion is biased towards Nolan because I love my N43.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n90-n-com-helmet

If you really want to go budget, HJC is a decent choice.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-max-bt-bluetooth-helmet

Gah! My bad, and thanks for the correction! I moved the post.

Thanks for the links, I am compiling a list of all the suggestions and then considering what I want vs what I can afford. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

epalm posted:

Seems to me that all helmets with integrated 'slide-down' visors have a weak spot right in the forehead area.

Confirm/deny?

Deny? It's not like they have less EPS right there, just a little bit of space between the EPS and the shell.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

epalm posted:

Confirm/deny?

Deny whole-heartedly! That's precisely where I got smacked with a branch (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3220067&pagenumber=24#post410716494) with the force of a bat in full swing and the helmet shows no wear whatsoever. If there is a weakness then it exists along a line that is, literally, negligable or you have to bounce along that line pretty forcefully a couple times in a row.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Flip down sun shields are pretty great too. For just putting around town I never minded not having one much, I'd use the shaded visor if it was a day ride and clear if I knew I'd be riding at night. In this situation it's just convenience. However I did a few bike trips this year, and for that it pays for itself. There's no way I'd be carrying an extra visor around.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Odd question - reading through the Haynes to go over the charger testing procedures, and throughout it's emphasised the importance of always connecting the multimeter in series, never in parallel, never connect one to the battery on its own or it'll be hosed. Yet as far as I can tell, the following sentence tells me to do exactly that for checking the regulated output - "Connect a multimeter set to the 0-20 volts DC scale across the terminals of the battery with the positive meter probe to the positive battery terminal and the negative probe to the negative battery terminal [while idling the bike, once that's done you've to increase it slowly to 5,000 RPM]." Now, am I misunderstanding the across the terminals of the battery part or is this a misprint? If it is, what's the correct way to do it?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
In the Haynes testing procedure they are testing current. Which requires the meter to be in series. You are testing voltage so the meter should be in parallel.

Just make sure your meter is set to whatever you are measuring before connecting it. If it is set to current and you put it across your battery it will pop a fuse or kill the meter.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

obso posted:

In the Haynes testing procedure they are testing current. Which requires the meter to be in series. You are testing voltage so the meter should be in parallel.

Just make sure your meter is set to whatever you are measuring before connecting it. If it is set to current and you put it across your battery it will pop a fuse or kill the meter.

I was hoping it'd be something like that. God, I really should have attended those electrical engineering classes. Cheers again!

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm still very confused on what lubricant I should use for anything non-chain related. I went to Canadian Tire to pick some up but all they had was the spray stuff and the only thing in jars was "anti-seize copper lubricant".
is this anti-seize stuff okay to use on things like bearings? I'm so confused :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

never happy posted:

I'm still very confused on what lubricant I should use for anything non-chain related. I went to Canadian Tire to pick some up but all they had was the spray stuff and the only thing in jars was "anti-seize copper lubricant".
is this anti-seize stuff okay to use on things like bearings? I'm so confused :(

No, copper lubricant is for screws, bolts, etc to stop them seizing. Bearings need grease or oil depending on application, position, etc. Copaslip probably would work okay on bearings but that'd be a really expensive way of doing things.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I use this poo poo on everything not specifically requiring a special type of fluid. Such as brake components that highly recommend not using anything but brake fluid for lubrication.
All purpose white Lithium grease

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

never happy posted:

I use white lithium grease for a lot of stuff; sealing up the airbox, cable lube, axle. It comes in squeeze tubes, aerosols, and in tubs. You can find it at a hardware store or auto parts store.

For some stuff you can use motor oil too, good for installing o-rings or even use as cable lube.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

clutchpuck posted:

I use white lithium grease for a lot of stuff; sealing up the airbox, cable lube, axle. It comes in squeeze tubes, aerosols, and in tubs. You can find it at a hardware store or auto parts store.

For some stuff you can use motor oil too, good for installing o-rings or even use as cable lube.

I use hydraulic fluid (ATF) for my chain and white lithium grease / motor oil for everything else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

never happy posted:

Canadian Tire should have tons of different greases over by the oil section. Some of them come in little tubs, others only in tubes designed for those caulking gun-style grease guns. I have a thing of lithium grease and a thing of molybdenum grease, both of which I spooned out into a super cheap Princess Auto (canadian Harbor Freight, basically) handheld grease gun for convenience. Moly is somewhat better at high temperatures and pressures (gear interfaces, driveshafts, etc) apparently but lithium works fine for most purposes.

Copper anti-seize is specifically used for bolts, screws, pins and other things that you don't want to slip, but also don't want to fuse together. I forget if it's extra good or extra bad for steel-aluminum interfaces...there's supposedly something to do with galvanic corrosion there. It's not what you want as general-purpose grease in any case, though.

e: and yeah, for things that just generally need oil I use either 3-in-1 or SAE 10 motor oil (same as the front shocks take). Don't save and re-use old motor oil as a lubricant -- it's full of awful carcinogens.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 20, 2012

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

e: and yeah, for things that just generally need oil I use either 3-in-1 or SAE 10 motor oil (same as the front shocks take). Don't save and re-use old motor oil as a lubricant -- it's full of awful carcinogens.

And it's hard to find a good chemo clinic for your bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, I tend to oil things by dipping my fingers in and spreading it where it belongs. I don't want hand cancer. Also, rubber gloves are for sissies.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Also, rubber gloves are for sissies.

I used to think the opposite until I remembered Gojo Orange. Thanks dad!

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Yeah, I've just used a wee tube of lithium grease from the local bicycle shop on all my fairing screws and it's worked a treat. Very cheap, too.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Wulframn posted:

Gah! My bad, and thanks for the correction! I moved the post.

Thanks for the links, I am compiling a list of all the suggestions and then considering what I want vs what I can afford. :v:

My caberg has one and also a very good SHARP rating. It was also very cheap although what it is in weird 80s monochrome monitor money I have no idea.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What are the pros/cons of lithium/ion batteries?

The marketing dept says

-Up to 80% smaller than the stock battery
-Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery
-Service life of over twice a lead acid in similar conditions
-Industry leading 3 year warranty
-Designed, developed, and assembled in the USA
-Completely “dry” technology so batteries can be mounted in any direction
-Non-toxic, recyclable, and can be air shipped
-Applications for powersports vehicles from 50cc - 2300cc
-Tested extensively by professional race teams
-Impact and water resistant
-Works with the original equipment charging system
-No trickle charger required, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you are rich, they are awesome.
If you're poor, probably not worth it

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I bought a Shorai ultra light battery for my track bike. It's awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The general gist seems to be, for track bikes and summer toy stuff like that, they're great. For regular bikes, if you need your bike to start without hassle below about 50F, don't bother. They very much do not like the cold.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Snowdens Secret posted:

The general gist seems to be, for track bikes and summer toy stuff like that, they're great. For regular bikes, if you need your bike to start without hassle below about 50F, don't bother. They very much do not like the cold.

I live in the great white north, so much for that :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How crap are shinkos? I just bought an sv650 with a shinko rear and a pirelli angel front. For reference, I'm coming off a hornet 919 with pirelli diablo strada's front and rear. Will I suddenly and without warning lowside into oncoming traffic?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah the light weight batteries are poo poo in cold weather.

Shinkos arent great tires but theyre not instant death either. Just ride with respect to available traction and you'll be fine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I roll Shinkos. They're fine if you're not riding hard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

How crap are shinkos? I just bought an sv650 with a shinko rear and a pirelli angel front. For reference, I'm coming off a hornet 919 with pirelli diablo strada's front and rear. Will I suddenly and without warning lowside into oncoming traffic?

Shinkos and Maxxis tires (which are I believe the same parent company) are great if you're not on something making a ton of power. I have ran the Maxxis Promaxx tires on all of my vintage street bikes and they never disappoint.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I'm curious. In the state of Texas is it actually required for a person to have a Class C before getting an M endorsement or can you get the Class M on it's own? I ask because I know to take the MSF course you need a Class C but the wording on the DPS website is a bit strange.

It states you are required to take a safety course but there is a clause on the same page saying that you only take the DPS riding course if you don't take a safety course?

Maybe I'm just misreading it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Got a link to the page?

Seems like most places in North America, you have to write a test at the DMV, then either do a skills test there some time later to get your full license; OR, write a test at the DMV, then take the MSF course, and at the end of the course you do a more or less equivalent version of the skills test and take the certificate to the DMV to get a full license.

It's kind of weird that you'd need a general license to take the MSF, though. The places I'm familiar with will give you a probationary license after you've passed the written test; you can then use that license to ride in a restricted set of circumstances to develop your skills, or use it to take the MSF. Nothing other than insurance ever asks if you also have a car license.

Then again, I know that some states refer to it as a motorcycle "endorsement", as though it's only a special condition on your main license, like air brakes or whatever. Maybe Texas is one of those.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
http://www.txstate.edu/technology/TrafficSafety/Motorcycle.html

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/motorcycleLicense.htm

The local MSF course and the DPS site. Again, I could be reading this stuff all wrong because my brain derps like that sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

epalm posted:

What are the pros/cons of lithium/ion batteries?

I'm really looking forward to lithium ion batteries improving just a bit to be really usable day-to-day; I saw some advertised the other day and the size/weight savings seem awesome but the specs were a bit vague on whether they'd be able to crank larger v-twins.