Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

[center][/center]

What is this?
This is StarCraft, or at least a Let's Play of it. If you don't know what StarCraft is you're either 14 or 40 and just bought a computer today. In both cases I really recommend you find other pieces of the internet instead of here while you still have your life ahead of you, but if you insist on staying... StarCraft is a game made by Blizzard in the year 1996 famous for revolutionizing the RTS genre. A lot of people (not me,) say gaming wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for Blizzard pushing the line. Most of these people play WoW drink Mountain Dew and are scared of sunlight, but they have opinions and those opinions matter to an extent. StarCraft follows three people from three different species, and watch them try to deal with the issues of war, hunger, and religion. Starcraft also has more then 10 books published, not counting the numerous blog posts, dev tweets, fan vids made cannon, and stuff that was retconned. You'd have to be some sort of freak to follow a series with that much dedication

Who are you? Why Should We Care?

I'm a freak. StarCraft came out when I was 5 years old and it was the fourth game I ever played, (Before that was Reading Blaster, Math Blaster, then Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium,) my Father and I to this day still put in StarCraft every once in a while and play. It's a game that's really had a place in my heart for the longest time, and a game I really want to do justice. You should care because you'll never get "StarCraft the Abridged Version" as accurately, quickly, or with as much passion as I'm putting into this. I'm not sure what really to say more then that. If RTS LP's aren't your bag, or listening to my nasally voice inform you about betrayal, blood lust, and some dude's dead wife then you probably shouldn't watch, but if you loved the second starcraft, or want to get in the series with the full story, then I recommend you follow along. I'll make it a heck of a ride :3:

Latest Episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXwTIXAyNw&hd=1

-Video quality is much better. I also like the border you gave everything.

-Scrolling is a lot less jerky now. Thanks for fixing that.

-Your commentary is a lot better now. You give us a good idea of what's going on in the mission and then say "okay things are kind of boring for the rest so let's kill Zerg and talk backstory for the rest of the mission." It's got a better flow than your first attempt. In the second mission I also like how you detail all the base building stuff you're going to do and why you want to do it. The why is the really important part for people that aren't familiar with the game.

-Make sure as your LP goes on you keep explaining the mechanics and what units do. Right now it's pretty clear what's going on but when you play as Zerg or build siege tanks or something people may not know what's going on.

-I didn't know there were Starcraft books. Including info from the books is a good addition.

-I think it would be a good idea to explain what the enemy unit/structures are and what they do. Someone with no Starcraft background has no idea what the difference is between zerglings and hydralisks.

-Overall a much better effort than your first video. You just need to make a few little tweaks and then I think you'll be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

-I think it would be a good idea to explain what the enemy unit/structures are and what they do. Someone with no Starcraft background has no idea what the difference is between zerglings and hydralisks.

I feel like this would be better done with a section that explains it. Basically, I throw up a picture of the Units / Buildings above the episode state that they're introduced and what they do. Do you agree? or should I re-do the audio?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I feel like this would be better done with a section that explains it. Basically, I throw up a picture of the Units / Buildings above the episode state that they're introduced and what they do. Do you agree? or should I re-do the audio?

Hmm. That's not a bad idea. Would you be doing it as text in the post or as video commentary? The only concern I'd have in doing it as video commentary is it might be a bit of a derail in the middle of the mission. Maybe do it at the beginning? "Hey here are the new units/building we're gonna see this mission:..."

As for re-recording, it's your call. I think as it stands right now things are okay. I'd wait a day or so and see if anyone else has any comments though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

Hmm. That's not a bad idea. Would you be doing it as text in the post or as video commentary? The only concern I'd have in doing it as video commentary is it might be a bit of a derail in the middle of the mission. Maybe do it at the beginning? "Hey here are the new units/building we're gonna see this mission:..."

As for re-recording, it's your call. I think as it stands right now things are okay. I'd wait a day or so and see if anyone else has any comments though.

I was thinking of adding in a quick clip between the FMV (which I'll try to start every episode with) and the first briefing. I'll welcome the viewers, talk about the new units / buildings, then go to the Episode.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I was thinking of adding in a quick clip between the FMV (which I'll try to start every episode with) and the first briefing. I'll welcome the viewers, talk about the new units / buildings, then go to the Episode.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm curious to see what it looks like when you've got a sample.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
I'm cooking up an A-10 Cuba! LP, and I'd like your opinion on the videos being made for it. I've got two videos to be inspected. The two are companion videos, a normal run-through and a second that makes use of an exploit.

1.Normal Video

2.Exploit Video

Besides everything you think, it would be much appreciated if you could please give opinions on preferences between the two styles of subtitles and music-overlay versus no-music-overlay. In addition tell me what you wish had more information; and please be specific in separating the information you wanted between: to be explained before watching and to be explained while watching.

Maynia
Jul 26, 2007

Urcinius posted:

A-10 Cuba!

Can't really comment on music overlays (no strong opinions other than 'they kinda work if you're doing the same thing multiple times').

However, the subtitles I don't like. They appear in at least five different positions, which personally I find distracting as all hell, and they're unreadably small at default video size and resolution (never assume people will always watch videos full screen/HD, because they won't).

Personal opinion again, but if you're going to use subtitles (which is a whole 'nother debate for games that move faster than 'slow') I'd stick to:
  • large enough to be readable at a glance regardless of video resolution
  • no more than two full lines at once
  • at bottom centre
  • probably a sans-serif font (purely because I find those more readable)
and use an overlaid box, or arrows, or something like that if you need to indicate a position to go with a subtitle.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
Far Cry on realistic difficulty

So I posted this originally in the hard games thread, and got told to scrap it and try the sandcastle. I realized only after the fact that my cutting was way too aggressive and very confusing, and made for pretty incomprehensible garbage. I figured it was just the tutorial level so it wouldn't matter too much if I cut around a lot of travel, because in my original recording I had way too much footage in just dicking around trying to show things off that I thought were interesting, but when I was editing I'd changed my mind and ended up cutting most of it. In the end I was way too aggressive with my cuts and made it super confusing to watch. At first I thought it was ok, but after posting it, seeing the reaction and giving it some further consideration, I agree that it really was much too messy. So I rerecorded and made another video, with much less intrusive cutting and much more manageable to watch.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to drastically improve things. I do really enjoy this game and I would love to do a full LP of it on its bullshit hard mode, just to show it off. My main concern was that without heavy editing it would be way too uninteresting to watch, but I think I can still edit heavily without it being too jarring and seizure-inducing.

Also a thing to note, and I mention it pretty early in the redone video - this game has no subtitle option, so cutscene and any in-game dialogue has no subs anywhere. Which sucks a lot, but since I'm doing post commentary it's manageable.

Original for comparison

Rerecorded and redone

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

You can use Aegis subs to manually put in subs if you want to go through that much effort. If so I'd only sub the important dialogue.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Well, the LP is in the wild now, to fend for itself.

I'd just like to say that one of the reasons I wanted so much to call back to my previous attempt was so I could give all the credit to you guys here in the Sandcastle. You've all been extremely helpful and awfully nicer than I first deserved.

First and foremost to Shalcar, for taking the time to be the first to go through my first attempt and, after suffering through all that, instead of pointing and laughing like he very well could he chose to take his time and give me a few tips, the most important of which was to haul my backside to the Sandcastle to get proper feedback and fix it.

Secondly to axeil for his constant feedback but most of all for nudging me in the right direction. Convincing me that I really could pull it off without any of my horrible initial ideas. I really thought my writing would be impenetrable drivel without something that was familiar and could ease a newcomer in.

Thirdly to TheOneAndOnlyT, for hammering it on so insistently into my thick, thick skull that I had to kill and bury the idea of using archetype characters. That's probably the criticism I needed the most.

Fourthly to Suspicious Dish, for being harsh. Yes for being harsh! The lesson I learned could only be learned through tough love. I actually hadn't an ounce of irony in my first posts. I really did come here seeking redemption. I really was ashamed of myself, because I really love this game and everything it represented in the industry. And Suspicious Dish channeled perfectly how I felt about myself.

And honorable mentions to Catsworth, for being the first to numbering and addressing several inquiries I had in the beginning in a cordial manner. It helped me stick around because it helped me understand that the Sandcastle would help. And Niggurath for, more than being very constructive in his criticism, also bringing the point that would ultimately lead to the right style of approaching this LP.

But you all helped those last few days. And since you convinced me that I'd be sabotaging myself by thanking you all in the LP OP, I decided to thank you all more directly and personally here in the Sandcastle.

And happy holidays.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

The_PC_Snob posted:

Thirdly to TheOneAndOnlyT, for hammering it on so insistently into my thick, thick skull that I had to kill and bury the idea of using archetype characters. That's probably the criticism I needed the most.
Wow, I think this is the first time I've been thanked for being a dick :v:

In response, I should just say thank you for listening. We get far too many youtube superstars in here who simply cannot handle people telling them that their LP is anything except perfect, and who end up getting banned and storming off in a huff without learning anything. You've definitely made a vast improvement from your first attempt, so keep it up.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The_PC_Snob posted:

Well, the LP is in the wild now, to fend for itself.

I'd just like to say that one of the reasons I wanted so much to call back to my previous attempt was so I could give all the credit to you guys here in the Sandcastle. You've all been extremely helpful and awfully nicer than I first deserved.

First and foremost to Shalcar, for taking the time to be the first to go through my first attempt and, after suffering through all that, instead of pointing and laughing like he very well could he chose to take his time and give me a few tips, the most important of which was to haul my backside to the Sandcastle to get proper feedback and fix it.

Secondly to axeil for his constant feedback but most of all for nudging me in the right direction. Convincing me that I really could pull it off without any of my horrible initial ideas. I really thought my writing would be impenetrable drivel without something that was familiar and could ease a newcomer in.

Fourthly to Suspicious Dish, for being harsh. Yes for being harsh! The lesson I learned could only be learned through tough love. I actually hadn't an ounce of irony in my first posts. I really did come here seeking redemption. I really was ashamed of myself, because I really love this game and everything it represented in the industry. And Suspicious Dish channeled perfectly how I felt about myself.

And honorable mentions to Catsworth, for being the first to numbering and addressing several inquiries I had in the beginning in a cordial manner. It helped me stick around because it helped me understand that the Sandcastle would help. And Niggurath for, more than being very constructive in his criticism, also bringing the point that would ultimately lead to the right style of approaching this LP.

But you all helped those last few days. And since you convinced me that I'd be sabotaging myself by thanking you all in the LP OP, I decided to thank you all more directly and personally here in the Sandcastle.

And happy holidays.

Aw thanks. Just doing my best to help out. Glad to see you finally posted this. I'll be following your thread.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Wow, I think this is the first time I've been thanked for being a dick :v:

Ops, sorry, you helped a lot besides that. The thing is, that was your most important contribution in my opinion.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

The_PC_Snob posted:

Ops, sorry, you helped a lot besides that. The thing is, that was your most important contribution in my opinion.
Yeah, I understand. But looking back on it I was acting pretty dickish about that, so I just found it kind of funny :v:

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Maynia posted:

Can't really comment on music overlays (no strong opinions other than 'they kinda work if you're doing the same thing multiple times').

However, the subtitles I don't like. They appear in at least five different positions, which personally I find distracting as all hell, and they're unreadably small at default video size and resolution (never assume people will always watch videos full screen/HD, because they won't).

Personal opinion again, but if you're going to use subtitles (which is a whole 'nother debate for games that move faster than 'slow') I'd stick to:
  • large enough to be readable at a glance regardless of video resolution
  • no more than two full lines at once
  • at bottom centre
  • probably a sans-serif font (purely because I find those more readable)
and use an overlaid box, or arrows, or something like that if you need to indicate a position to go with a subtitle.

Hmm. Thank you. Those were precisely my fears on the subtitles, but I wanted them confirmed or denied because as true I have to rethink how much information I can put in a video to the point that this might not be feasible for me to make. I'll fiddle and tweak and see what I can't do to improve.

Again: thanks.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Brainamp posted:

You can use Aegis subs to manually put in subs if you want to go through that much effort. If so I'd only sub the important dialogue.

I briefly thought about that, but I came to the conclusion that although I don't want to make a lovely or low-effort LP, I really don't want to bother with the extra effort of adding subs to this game. The storyline is loving absurd, ridiculous and it's really B-movie quality at best, so there isn't really any important dialogue, it's mostly hilarious voice acting and dialogue rather than important for story reasons.

In a nutshell, I don't think subs would improve things too much when one of the main points of watching the cutscenes in this game is to listen to the voice acting rather than actually understand what they're saying. Plus I won't be talking over the cutscenes or dialogue and can raise their volume if they get drowned out by ambient noise or gunplay.

It's really dumb when you realize the developers used really heavy auto-ducking for their ingame conversations, like stuff over the radio with Doyle, but they didn't bother adding an option for subtitles. :psyduck:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I noticed that some video LPs throw in snippets of popular music from time to time. How does one handle youtube copyright claims in such cases?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Xander77 posted:

I noticed that some video LPs throw in snippets of popular music from time to time. How does one handle youtube copyright claims in such cases?
It has depended on the song for me; some songs have been completely fine, others have given me slight warnings that haven't affected my account other than a little notice, and some have caused me to go back to a 15 minute time limit and get audio disabled on the video. You really won't know till you post it, but the more popular a song the more likely you're going to be hit with the audio being disabled or something stupid.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Xander77 posted:

My solution: don't use popular music. poo poo I'm fairly confident no one has ever heard of doesn't get flagged.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Question time- I'm working on a few test videos for LP ideas (1 of which I'll actually be doing in the near future, the others much much later) Thing is, I'd rather have a co-commentator for them.

I've got real life mates willing to help me with the test posts, but I'd rather goons for the real thing. I'd be happy with anyone who has an interest in the game itself plus who think they can do ok running commentary.

What's the recommended method of putting out the call- asking in the test post in her if anyone is interested, making the actual thread without a video and ask for volunteers there, or just rolling with mates who are unlikely to join up here to start, then rotate through with goons over the course of the LP?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, made a test video for Everything or Nothing.

Any advice and so on; in particular, I'm not entirely certain of if the audio is too quiet, or if the mix is good or not.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Niggurath posted:

It has depended on the song for me; some songs have been completely fine, others have given me slight warnings that haven't affected my account other than a little notice, and some have caused me to go back to a 15 minute time limit and get audio disabled on the video. You really won't know till you post it, but the more popular a song the more likely you're going to be hit with the audio being disabled or something stupid.

So is there no way to actually ask ahead of time what music you are allowed to use?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Xander77 posted:

My method was to make two versions of the video - one with the song in it for other distribution channels, and one without the song in it for Youtube. Considering that I usually get that music FROM Youtube, this seems like a silly precaution, but I've gotten content notices for the opening and ending cutscenes of Warrior Within, so I try to be careful. I even replaced the song credit at the end of the video with "Redacted for Youtube" or something similar.

Since Viddler shut me down, I've been backing off from using music for humor overall. If you're worried, that's probably the best way to go.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So is there no way to actually ask ahead of time what music you are allowed to use?

No because anyone watching your video can file a copyright complaint about it and then it's up to Youtube's automated system to deal with it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Paingod556 posted:

Question time- I'm working on a few test videos for LP ideas (1 of which I'll actually be doing in the near future, the others much much later) Thing is, I'd rather have a co-commentator for them.

I've got real life mates willing to help me with the test posts, but I'd rather goons for the real thing. I'd be happy with anyone who has an interest in the game itself plus who think they can do ok running commentary.

What's the recommended method of putting out the call- asking in the test post in her if anyone is interested, making the actual thread without a video and ask for volunteers there, or just rolling with mates who are unlikely to join up here to start, then rotate through with goons over the course of the LP?
I'd say "yo I will LP [Game], anyone up for co-commenting? Requirements are:
- knows the game
- likes it
- wants to touch my butt

If you fulfil those, hit me up on OKCupid"

Not an interest check, because you will LP it regardless, and you should find somebody.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I've got a question too: After seeing this test post for Jumping Flash, it inspired me to translate and do an LP of Robbit Mon Dieu. I'm editing a test video right now, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to show the translation in it.

For the in-game cutscenes, I am just showing one line of text at a time, as it's said. For the distress/request letters I was going to do the same thing, because they are voiced and it would fit there too. But because everything they are saying is on screen at one time, and because it's usually short, I was thinking of possibly posting the entire translation on the screen at one time, below the original Japanese text.

Likewise, after missions, you sometimes receive a newspaper with a article about what you just did during the mission (and another humorous stuff, like an question column and so on). I was recording and doing live commentary, so when it came up I was not sure what to do. So I read the Japanese text out loud, giving a synopsis of what it said afterword. Then I wrote subtitles the same way I did for the in-game cutscenes; one line at a time, as I said what was on screen.

This does not sound like the best way to handle this, considering I don't think I should be reading what's on screen, even if it's in Japanese. I'm trying to think of alternatives that would be better. For example, editing out the newspapers from the video footage, and just showing the raw text and translation in the thread itself. Does that sound better?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

There seems to be little rhyme or reason with Youtube's automated copyright check. I've had videos that are three years old suddenly getting hit years later because some a media group suddenly felt like it (IODA is the one that hits up most often at all). It's actually quite annoying since it's not just music that you can be hit for without real reason but that's just the name of the game with putting up any game footage really, with or without your added music.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

YouTube's line is that if you don't own the copyright to the game/music/images/&c, you shouldn't use them. The question is less "can YouTube take a video down for using music" (because the answer is "yes") and more "will the copyright holder complain about it" (which is "it depends").

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Xander77 posted:

It depends on the artist/publisher's whim. You can get a handle on what will happen if you search for the song you want to use on Youtube itself. For example, there are almost no videos with Prince music in them (not sure if there's even a Vevo for him), I'd infer Prince does not like having his music on Youtube so any video found by the copyright robots is getting totally axed/muted. However, you can see some videos have a simple "buy this song" link in the video, that seems to be the extent for some publishers and is fairly unobtrusive and shouldn't get your account closed.

Youtube's guidelines are basically "be a lawyer and find out what 'fair use' is", even though there have been publicized incidents of videos hitting some algorithm incorrectly and getting taken down, so weigh your options. Blip doesn't do any checking, as far as I know, but they have taken down LP accounts for being LP accounts.

Also, video game music isn't necessarily safe. I ran across one video that was blocked in Germany because it had Vampire Killer in it, which Konami apparently exercises some kind of legal protection upon. But this might be a play into Germany's weird "artist protection" laws.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2012

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just a related anecdote: Public Domain music is necessarily safe either. I came across the problem when transferring my Ripley LP from Viddler to Youtube. In video 10, I use the Albert Farrington 1915 cover of "It's A Long Way To Tipperary," which is long, long since in the public domain, but it still triggered the youtube robots because of some artist who had sampled it in one of his or her works and claimed that work. The video wasn't taken down, I never heard from anyone, but I decided that it wasn't worth potentially getting my gmail account in trouble over it, so I did the simple thing: put it on Daily Motion. (Baldurk also put it up on the Internet Archive. He's a cool guy, you should give him a high five if you see him.)

One of these days I might just get my own hosting, but who knows what else could arise from that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

Just a related anecdote: Public Domain music is necessarily safe either. I came across the problem when transferring my Ripley LP from Viddler to Youtube. In video 10, I use the Albert Farrington 1915 cover of "It's A Long Way To Tipperary," which is long, long since in the public domain, but it still triggered the youtube robots because of some artist who had sampled it in one of his or her works and claimed that work.

Counter. YouTube takes complaints like that very, very seriously.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Magnetic North posted:

Just a related anecdote: Public Domain music is necessarily safe either. I came across the problem when transferring my Ripley LP from Viddler to Youtube. In video 10, I use the Albert Farrington 1915 cover of "It's A Long Way To Tipperary," which is long, long since in the public domain, but it still triggered the youtube robots because of some artist who had sampled it in one of his or her works and claimed that work. The video wasn't taken down, I never heard from anyone, but I decided that it wasn't worth potentially getting my gmail account in trouble over it, so I did the simple thing: put it on Daily Motion. (Baldurk also put it up on the Internet Archive. He's a cool guy, you should give him a high five if you see him.)

One of these days I might just get my own hosting, but who knows what else could arise from that.

If Youtube catches something like that, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I had a Where's Waldo NES video on my channel that apparently had "third-party content" or some crap (no idea what it was) and nothing ever happened in the year or so that I had it up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Suspicious Dish posted:

Counter. YouTube takes complaints like that very, very seriously.

Ehhh, it's more of a technical malfunction than an abuse of the system. The artist is also in their rights to sample from a public domain song and have that be a copyrighted song of their own. That, and none of the counter claims said, "This is in error" if I recall correctly. It was months ago now.

Color Printer posted:

If Youtube catches something like that, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I had a Where's Waldo NES video on my channel that apparently had "third-party content" or some crap (no idea what it was) and nothing ever happened in the year or so that I had it up.

I know, but :tinfoil: always wins out for me.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I think the risk is a scale between "Really likely to get killed" and "probably get killed only by accident because of the way the soundwaves look" where the likelihood your video will get taken down is highest if you have an mp3 of "Call me Maybe" playing in the background, as compared to the minimal where yelling over Mega Man generates the same MD5 sum as Carly Rae Jepson's amazing vocal performance in "Call me Maybe".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

Ehhh, it's more of a technical malfunction than an abuse of the system. The artist is also in their rights to sample from a public domain song and have that be a copyrighted song of their own. That, and none of the counter claims said, "This is in error" if I recall correctly. It was months ago now.

What happens if there's a notified match is that ContentID tells you and tells the artist to review the video. Some artists hit the button to share ad revenue or send a takedown notice without reviewing the video.

If that happens, it's an extremely critical error that YouTube takes seriously.

Before the artist makes any move, it simply puts a notice on your video that the video may use this song, and you are completely in the clear.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

judge reinhold posted:

I think the risk is a scale between "Really likely to get killed" and "probably get killed only by accident because of the way the soundwaves look" where the likelihood your video will get taken down is highest if you have an mp3 of "Call me Maybe" playing in the background, as compared to the minimal where yelling over Mega Man generates the same MD5 sum as Carly Rae Jepson's amazing vocal performance in "Call me Maybe".

The way the waveform looks is the way it sounds, so it's impossible to have two waveforms that look similar and sound very different.

It wouldn't be an MD5 sum (avalanche effect), it's a fingerprint match, which is a similarity check between two waveforms that have had noise components removed, and it's very, very good.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Hey, everyone.

I'm planning on doing an LP of Fire Emblem 3, and would like some feedback on what I have so far.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9646

Thanks for your time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Hey, everyone.

I'm planning on doing an LP of Fire Emblem 3, and would like some feedback on what I have so far.

Thanks for your time.

First of all... this is it! If this goes live, we will have achieved Full Fire Emblem Coverage!

Anyway, some Actual Feedback:

• Some line break tidying will go a long way. You want:

[words]
[empty line]
[picture]
[empty line]
[so on]

• For the second opening text crawl, you'd probably be better off only having images when the background art changes, ignoring the text unless it just so happens to form a complete sentence (or fragment) in your screenshot. Having the text flow between screenshots and... er... text, like that actually makes it a bit harder to read.

• I thought the actual gameplay coverage was fine, although this was only a quick readthrough.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Edward_Tohr posted:

Hey, everyone.

Thanks for your time.

• The biggest thing that jumps out at me is the opening crawl. As Fedule said, you'd be served a lot better by putting up the first scene, and then transcribing everything until a new background comes in. And the "Can we play the game now" joke is funny once, not four times.

• You also might want to work with line break spacing. I know that this:

test post posted:

Thanks to the efforts of Prince Marth, the Kingdom of Aritia, devastated by war, finally begins to stabilise.
    The knight Jeigan, who succeeded the ill Morodof, became the prince's tactician and helped him rule the country, by his side.
    Afterwards, Princess Sheeda was welcomed to Aritia, and her marriage with Prince Marth was announced. The citizens of Aritia were happy for the pair's fortune and Sheeda was passionately welcomed to the country.
    However... Nearing the day of the wedding, a letter suddenly comes from the imperial palace of Pales, containing an imperial order.
    "Dear Prince Marth of Aritia, At the Kingdom of Grunia, occupied by Akaneia, a huge rebellion has broken out. I request for your country to subdue Grunia. Your highness, please send Aritia's full army immediately, to quell Grunia's rebellion." Emperor Hardin
    The Kingdom of Akaneia is the suzerain state to Aritia, and its orders must be followed. The helpless Marth orders the knight Kain to protect his kingdom. And he leaves, along with Jeigan and the others, to an expedition to Grunia.

Is how it's presented on the game script you're hopefully stealing from Serenes, but that can be cleaned up a lot simply by removing a lot of the paragraph jumps, making it look something more like this:

quote:

Thanks to the efforts of Prince Marth, the Kingdom of Aritia, devastated by war, finally began to stabilise. The knight Jeigan, who succeeded the ill Morodof, became the prince's tactician and helped him rule the country. Afterwards, Princess Sheeda was welcomed to Aritia, and her marriage with Prince Marth was announced. The citizens of Aritia were happy for the pair's fortune and Sheeda was passionately welcomed to the country.

However, nearing the day of the wedding, a letter suddenly arrived from the imperial palace of Pales, containing an imperial order.

"Dear Prince Marth of Aritia,
    At the Kingdom of Grunia, occupied by Akaneia, a huge rebellion has broken out. I request for your country to subdue Grunia. Your highness, please send Aritia's full army immediately, to quell Grunia's rebellion."

- Emperor Hardin

The Kingdom of Akaneia is the suzerain state to Aritia, and its orders must be followed. The helpless Marth ordered the knight Kain to protect his kingdom, and he left, along with Jeigan and the others, on an expedition to Grunia.

Admittedly, I'm not the wordsmith Fedule is, but the second version flows a lot better because you're not constantly jumping back due to line breaks where there really shouldn't be one.

• It might just be a personal thing, but you might be going a little overboard with your made up dialogue, especially in the scene right after Lang appears. You've already been going on multiple times about how the game doesn't shut up and get you to the action, and then you basically double the length of that conversation.

• It would be nice if you showed us the growth rates, etc. of our new units at the end of the chapter, unless you've got some grand plan for that. As is, you talk about it halfway through the update and you never follow through with it.

The gameplay coverage is fine, so here's to hoping we can finish up Fire Emblem Appreciation Season until someone figures out how the hell to LP a 3DS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Thanks for the feedback!

Fedule posted:

• Some line break tidying will go a long way. You want:

[words]
[empty line]
[picture]
[empty line]
[so on]

• For the second opening text crawl, you'd probably be better off only having images when the background art changes, ignoring the text unless it just so happens to form a complete sentence (or fragment) in your screenshot. Having the text flow between screenshots and... er... text, like that actually makes it a bit harder to read.

Artix74 posted:

• The biggest thing that jumps out at me is the opening crawl. As Fedule said, you'd be served a lot better by putting up the first scene, and then transcribing everything until a new background comes in.

Yeah... I didn't realize how much of the text I'd have to transcribe when I started. Or how long the sentences in the intro go on for. This has been rectified.

Artix74 posted:

• And the "Can we play the game now" joke is funny once, not four times.

• Also noted and fixed.

Artix74 posted:

• You also might want to work with line break spacing.

• I'm... not entirely sure why I felt that keeping the game's formatting intact was a good idea, given that I spent the whole time thinking how annoying it is to have to read like that.

On that note, I also went through and cleaned up some of the more awkward and repetitive phrases. e.g. taking "Afterwards, Princess Sheeda was welcomed to Aritia, and her marriage with Prince Marth was announced. The citizens of Aritia were happy for the pair's fortune and Sheeda was passionately welcomed to the country." and stopping it halfway through the second sentence.

Artix74 posted:

• It might just be a personal thing, but you might be going a little overboard with your made up dialogue, especially in the scene right after Lang appears. You've already been going on multiple times about how the game doesn't shut up and get you to the action, and then you basically double the length of that conversation.

• If nobody had commented on that, I would have specifically asked before posting. On a re-read, cutting out the weaker lines does seem to help a lot.

Artix74 posted:

• It would be nice if you showed us the growth rates, etc. of our new units at the end of the chapter, unless you've got some grand plan for that. As is, you talk about it halfway through the update and you never follow through with it.

• I was originally planning on having it in a big Full Party Roster 2nd post. Until I remembered that usually these things show them in the character introduction to keep readers from constantly having to flip back and forth.

Growth rates, and their explanation, have been moved up with the character breakdowns.

Fedule posted:

I thought the actual gameplay coverage was fine

Artix74 posted:

The gameplay coverage is fine

At least I didn't mess up the core of the whole thing. :unsmith:

Updated version is at the same place: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9646. Thanks again for taking the time to go through this.

• Locked thread