Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
I wish they still packed squads and transports together for a very minor discount. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Sour Blossom posted:

I wish they still packed squads and transports together for a very minor discount. :sigh:

Battleforces seem to be the next best thing, though they're more likely to come with some extraneous poo poo you'll never use obviously.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
One thing worth mentioning, as a couple people have said they are looking to start in the last page or so; you should be able to get 20% off list price from almost any online retailer or non-GW FLGS.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you play with Forgeworld Eldar got quite a boost. Warp Hunters, Wraithseers, and Hornets (all located in Apoc 2nd edition) are quite good. It doesn't help the troops much, although a unit of troop wraithguard backed up by fortune, the 5+ cover save, and a wraithseer casting feel-no-pain is about the toughest objective sitter you can get.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I wasn't expecting to win very often anyway, but oh well, at least I'll have fun! :dance:

The guy who put together the 'My First Warhammer Army' for me also said, as optional extras if I was feeling spendy, add another battleforce, Howling Banshees and Rangers.

Living in Aus makes acquiring affordable minis difficult, even online, but I have a few leads.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Are those chimeras heavy bolter turrets or are the multi-lasers pointed directly at the camera?

Multi lasers. S6 is way better then AP4.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NTRabbit posted:

The guy who put together the 'My First Warhammer Army' for me also said, as optional extras if I was feeling spendy, add another battleforce, Howling Banshees and Rangers.

Not sure about Banshees, they used to be for raping Terminators, but now they can't even do that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

NTRabbit posted:

I wasn't expecting to win very often anyway, but oh well, at least I'll have fun! :dance:

Living in Aus makes acquiring affordable minis difficult, even online, but I have a few leads.

This is the most insanely priced store I know of when you buy in bulk and don't mind waiting two-three weeks for it to arrive.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Discount-Warhammer-Fantasy-and-40K/Discount-Eldar-/_i.html?_fsub=2807887016&_sid=104011766&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Honourable mentions go to http://www.thecombatcompany.com/ and https://www.warpuppy.com.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah Combat Company are where I'll probably end up. Thanks for the ebay link, another store someone found for me was this - http://www.geekgames.co/index.asp - anyone heard of them before?

Eldar seem to be unpopular and frequently out of stock... I guess I've found out why. Planning to make it an Yme-Loc army, but instead of the normal orange-red with gray, I'm going to make them the most eye searing shade of safety orange known to man with a blue-grey or charcoal.

I wasn't planning on getting the Banshees just yet. Reading this thread it sounded like close combat is out in 6th Ed. and I should concentrate on shooty things?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

NTRabbit posted:

Dark Angels are getting updated in January and after that I think people have said Chaos Daemons, but after that it's either going to be Tau or Eldar. They've also hinted at speeding up their release schedule (though that may just mean we're going to get more expansions between armies) so with any luck you'll have a nice new codex to fix the army's problems within a year.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Eldar seem to be unpopular and frequently out of stock... I guess I've found out why. Planning to make it an Yme-Loc army, but instead of the normal orange-red with gray, I'm going to make them the most eye searing shade of safety orange known to man with a blue-grey or charcoal.

I wasn't planning on getting the Banshees just yet. Reading this thread it sounded like close combat is out in 6th Ed. and I should concentrate on shooty things?

Eldar are definitely better off with shooting. I like shining spears because of their speed and hit-and-run, but they are a bit points heavy. Perfect place to keep an autarch though!

Other than that, striking scorpions edge out banshees in my opinion. They took a hit since you cannot assault when infiltrating, but they have a ton of S4 attacks. Banshees edge them out against Sv3 units, but not by much.
Plus Karandras is a bad-rear end, even though all the phoenix lords are expensive.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
IIRC the current rumors point to Dark Angels in January (pretty obvious now), Tau in the summer, with Eldar coming in November.

Anything more than two-three months out is a bit of a crapshoot, though. A new Eldar book is about the only thing that could save me from starting a Heresy-era list. :gbsmith:

VVV Yeah, probably in-between Dark Angels and Tau.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 22, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Daemons are in there somewhere, probably before Tau.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Daemons are February if the rumours are right.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I've been having a really tough time playing Eldar recently. Other codices are just better.

It becomes really apparent when you play an army like Necrons. They have so many solid choices and a load of neat special rules.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Regarding Eldar, my favorite lamentable aspect warriors, the swooping hawks, got a decent boost with the changes to grenades. Now a squad of them makes a pretty decent tank hunting unit with all those haywire grenades they can throw. They've been an effective substitute for the second fire dragon squad I would usually bring owing to their better mobility, and they're not such a one trick pony thanks to their decent volume of anti infantry fire. I still wouldn't call them good, but they're no longer totally useless.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Can't you only throw 1 grenade per unit though? I thought that was a rule in the main book?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

PeterWeller posted:

Regarding Eldar, my favorite lamentable aspect warriors, the swooping hawks, got a decent boost with the changes to grenades. Now a squad of them makes a pretty decent tank hunting unit with all those haywire grenades they can throw. They've been an effective substitute for the second fire dragon squad I would usually bring owing to their better mobility, and they're not such a one trick pony thanks to their decent volume of anti infantry fire. I still wouldn't call them good, but they're no longer totally useless.

gently caress their models though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Gate posted:

Can't you only throw 1 grenade per unit though? I thought that was a rule in the main book?

You can only throw one grenade as a shooting attack, but everyone can throw grenades in CC.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

gently caress their models though.

They're still pretty nice; it's just that the scourge models are so, so, so much nicer.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PeterWeller posted:

You can only throw one grenade as a shooting attack, but everyone can throw grenades in CC.

Ah yeah, that's what I thought you were talking about.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Gate posted:

Ah yeah, that's what I thought you were talking about.

Yeah, sorry. I know 'throw' is kinda vague, but 'attach' or 'place' don't seem appropriate.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Tommofork posted:

This is the most insanely priced store I know of when you buy in bulk and don't mind waiting two-three weeks for it to arrive.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Discount-Warhammer-Fantasy-and-40K/Discount-Eldar-/_i.html?_fsub=2807887016&_sid=104011766&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Honourable mentions go to http://www.thecombatcompany.com/ and https://www.warpuppy.com.

I find that this place has comparable prices but cheaper shipping than that. You basically buy "bitz" that is an entire sprue. I'm not sure what the angle is, but you end up with all the sprues and instructions but without the cardboard box, for the cheapest price I know of.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

40k is basically in stasis for me until Eldar get updated. All my stuff is really old (like 2nd edition old) and its now to the point where not only is my force hilariously bad, it's not even fun to play casually. Rather than trying to eke out a manageable list and spend the money needed to do that, I'm just waiting for their eventual update and the slew of amazing new models that will hopefully come with it.

Seeing all that gorgeous stuff the Dark Eldar got, I really hope we get half as nice a release.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ashcans posted:

40k is basically in stasis for me until Eldar get updated. All my stuff is really old (like 2nd edition old) and its now to the point where not only is my force hilariously bad, it's not even fun to play casually. Rather than trying to eke out a manageable list and spend the money needed to do that, I'm just waiting for their eventual update and the slew of amazing new models that will hopefully come with it.

Seeing all that gorgeous stuff the Dark Eldar got, I really hope we get half as nice a release.

A friend from my club is in exactly the same situation. Tons of stuff, very little choice in how to field anything that can stand up to flyers, mech cheap infantry, Long Fang Spam and IG steel wave.

Though it may soothe you to know that while Dark eldar got many and gorgeous models, we also got kicked in the teeth rather hard by 6th edition. Assuming you want to play something other than Blasterborn Venomspam backed by Ravagers/Razorwings.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

LordAba posted:

If you play with Forgeworld Eldar got quite a boost. Warp Hunters, Wraithseers, and Hornets (all located in Apoc 2nd edition) are quite good. It doesn't help the troops much, although a unit of troop wraithguard backed up by fortune, the 5+ cover save, and a wraithseer casting feel-no-pain is about the toughest objective sitter you can get.

The Doom of Mynmara list from Forge World is actually really strong and fun- it's got good troops, lots of options in almost every slot and every role and access to "basic" Eldar units in limited quantities, in case you wanna run some Aspect Warriors or whatever. Its only real problem is that its HQs are a bit underwhelming, but aside from that it's good stuff in pretty much every slot.

Well, there's also the whole "spending a billion dollars on FW or converting up a small horde of dudes" issue, but...

Sour Blossom posted:

I thought it was really weird they discontinued that immediately too. I mean, it's like a perfect example of how to do a combo-pack successfully- two things that are pretty much always used together and it saves them on packaging/shipping costs while saving the consumer some dollars in return. But I guess it was a one-time-only thing for some reason.

quote:

A friend and I played some of the Dark Vengeance intro missions last night and he fell in love with the game and wants to play Chaos Space Marines. What would be the best way to build up an army using the units that came with DV? Should he just go for the Battleforce or just buy a tank and a couple of more troops for a few 500-750 point games?
The CSM Battleforce is a pretty alright deal (since you can build regular Marines out of the Possessed and Bikes are quite excellent now), but if he's looking to edge his way into the game some Chaos Space Marines are really what he wants to be looking to getting next. It's mostly a matter of the money he's looking to spend, really; the Battleforce is all things he'll be able to use, but it's a pretty hefty investment as a followup to DV and it's not really required buying or anything.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Blackcultist.com.au is reasonable for gw stuff in aus.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Just an FYI. We are starting a new Hobby Progress Challenge for 2013.

If this is your type of thing, we are going to have prizes at the end of the year. Last years prizes were a couple of really nice KR cases and foam.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=2378

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

AbusePuppy posted:

The CSM Battleforce is a pretty alright deal (since you can build regular Marines out of the Possessed and Bikes are quite excellent now), but if he's looking to edge his way into the game some Chaos Space Marines are really what he wants to be looking to getting next. It's mostly a matter of the money he's looking to spend, really; the Battleforce is all things he'll be able to use, but it's a pretty hefty investment as a followup to DV and it's not really required buying or anything.

Thanks for the input, we ended up going to the FLGS and he got a deal on the Battleforce and the new codex. Only cost him $125.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 23, 2012

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

AgentF posted:

I find that this place has comparable prices but cheaper shipping than that. You basically buy "bitz" that is an entire sprue. I'm not sure what the angle is, but you end up with all the sprues and instructions but without the cardboard box, for the cheapest price I know of.

Cataphract posted:

Blackcultist.com.au is reasonable for gw stuff in aus.

Thanks fellas.

Today I learned that the cloak of the Honoured Imperium statue is literally a scaled up cloak from the Chaos Warrios fantasy sprue. A couple of cracks and voila!

It made me realise that I would buy the poo poo out of choice peices scaled up to Inquisitor size for display pieces. A 54mm Ork Warboss... :allears:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sephyr posted:

A friend from my club is in exactly the same situation. Tons of stuff, very little choice in how to field anything that can stand up to flyers, mech cheap infantry, Long Fang Spam and IG steel wave.

Though it may soothe you to know that while Dark eldar got many and gorgeous models, we also got kicked in the teeth rather hard by 6th edition. Assuming you want to play something other than Blasterborn Venomspam backed by Ravagers/Razorwings.

Not really :( While I am stupid jealous of Dark Eldar's new models, they had to wait like a decade for them with only those terrible starter-box sculpts to work with. They totally deserved a period of both amazing looks and killer gameplay.

ForeverFlashlight
Jun 15, 2005
Keeps going and going...
Just learned that vehicles (without any special rules to the contrary) can never deny objectives - so no more late game Tank Shock, no more early game Drop Pod denial, and that Dreadnaught (Hellbrute?) better finish off that squad before that game ends of they'll hold the objective anyway...

6th edition is still finding new ways to make me hate it!

Bonus Anecdote: Got my Thousand Sons charged by a CSM unit, his champion had to challenge with his Power Axe, my sorcerer had to accept with his Force Sword - killed the champ before he got to swing, Dark Apotheosis'd into a Demon Prince (lowering his invuln save and losing his spell) leaving the Thousand Sons to lose their combat and running over to get impaled on the Force Sword of an enemy Sorcerer - eternal warrior no longer, thanks for playing!

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

ForeverFlashlight posted:

Just learned that vehicles (without any special rules to the contrary) can never deny objectives - so no more late game Tank Shock, no more early game Drop Pod denial, and that Dreadnaught (Hellbrute?) better finish off that squad before that game ends of they'll hold the objective anyway...

Bonus Anecdote

Tank shocks can still work and drop pods are very nice movement blockers since he has to stay 1" away from the hull.

That new boon table is silly fluffwise and a PITA gamewise.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

ForeverFlashlight posted:

6th edition is still finding new ways to make me hate it!

Bonus Anecdote: Got my Thousand Sons charged by a CSM unit, his champion had to challenge with his Power Axe, my sorcerer had to accept with his Force Sword - killed the champ before he got to swing, Dark Apotheosis'd into a Demon Prince (lowering his invuln save and losing his spell) leaving the Thousand Sons to lose their combat and running over to get impaled on the Force Sword of an enemy Sorcerer - eternal warrior no longer, thanks for playing!

I'm sorry man but bitter people will always be bitter.

Most people like it that vehicles can't score/deny and I'm not sure why you would abandon the 1k son unit if you think he was needed, and then move him towards a force weapon...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Well, he had to abandon the Thousand Sons because he became a MC.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

If this is your type of thing, we are going to have prizes at the end of the year. Last years prizes were a couple of really nice KR cases and foam.

Well, guess I gotta do something with my two DV boxes worth of Dark Angels!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I heard that Eldar were due for an update, and that new models in boxes were already sitting in warehouses, and was going to wait for that... but was advised that "update coming soon" could mean anything from 2 months to 2 years, based on GW history, so get something fun, using mostly generic troops that aren't likely to change models much, and I won't have wasted any money if the update does come quickly.

If anyone has any other suggestions for Babby's first army though, I'm all ears.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

NTRabbit posted:

I heard that Eldar were due for an update, and that new models in boxes were already sitting in warehouses, and was going to wait for that... but was advised that "update coming soon" could mean anything from 2 months to 2 years, based on GW history, so get something fun, using mostly generic troops that aren't likely to change models much, and I won't have wasted any money if the update does come quickly.

If anyone has any other suggestions for Babby's first army though, I'm all ears.

Play what you like, Baby's first army though would be anything in Power Armor. The good toughness, armor, and leadership make them a great place to start. Mobility and some of the more subtle tricks make them not boring as you get better at the game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

AbusePuppy posted:

I thought it was really weird they discontinued that immediately too. I mean, it's like a perfect example of how to do a combo-pack successfully- two things that are pretty much always used together and it saves them on packaging/shipping costs while saving the consumer some dollars in return. But I guess it was a one-time-only thing for some reason.

GW are allergic to the idea of anything other than buying a single box at a time for full retail price. The battleforces only exist because they need to have SOMETHING to offer mum when she asks what would be a good Christmas or birthday present.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

Well I have just paint stripped and resprayed a lot of Necrons...

Hopefully this one will go better than my Dark Eldar attempt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

Well, guess I gotta do something with my two DV boxes worth of Dark Angels!

Plus you can "double dip" with the Oath Thread here. I know I plan to.

• Locked thread