Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have never laid eyes on a Wham-Shell. It's my unicorn.

Has anyone who 'won' the Frito Lay promotion Stump Smash received theirs yet? The phone system I think said five to seven weeks, and I can see by when I posted previously I'm still within that window. But I'm impatient to a fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Haven't gotten mine yet either.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I have my stump smash, it's pretty cool. Also, the iOS game is good, but kind of simple. All your doing is swiping to take out trolls, there's no real difference what skylander you use except for a coin bonus for using the element of the day.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

5er posted:

I have never laid eyes on a Wham-Shell. It's my unicorn.

On holiday in Belgium a toy shop I visited had loads of him... and just about everyone else. We ended up getting a three-pack for my kid (Ignitor, Camo and Warnado) though.

For those with Skylander crazy kids Amazon.com and .co.uk now have a load of Skylanders books available for pre-order to be released in August/September. I'm suprised there hasn't been more merchandise available yet (my kid would kill for a Skylanders TV show).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Given all the praise this game is getting, when I went to Wal-Mart last night I noticed the huge over-abundance of Skylanders toys. It always seems like they're collecting dust. Maybe it's just the town I'm in.

The bigger town next over has limit signs over the toys. Like 3 per customer or something.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gravy Jones posted:

On holiday in Belgium a toy shop I visited had loads of him... and just about everyone else. We ended up getting a three-pack for my kid (Ignitor, Camo and Warnado) though.

For those with Skylander crazy kids Amazon.com and .co.uk now have a load of Skylanders books available for pre-order to be released in August/September. I'm suprised there hasn't been more merchandise available yet (my kid would kill for a Skylanders TV show).

So that's where they all are. gently caress.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

This was unwittingly purchased by nameless family members for my 8 year-old nephew and now we have to collect them all.

God help us.

Terrafin owns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So apparently I won this stupid Flocked Stump Smash on some Frito Lay contest I entered online. The package for it came today and out of curiosity, I looked on ebay how much this thing is worth.

:stare: It goes for 90 dollars. What the gently caress people seriously pay this much for these figurines?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Kirios posted:

So apparently I won this stupid Flocked Stump Smash on some Frito Lay contest I entered online. The package for it came today and out of curiosity, I looked on ebay how much this thing is worth.

:stare: It goes for 90 dollars. What the gently caress people seriously pay this much for these figurines?

You should have seen what Sunburn and Camo were going for before they hit the greater market.

Like anything remotely collectable and semi-rare, people will try selling them for insane markups. (And someone, somewhere, will probably pay for it.)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Hahaha, mine just came in to. I completely forgot that I won it, and had no idea where it came from.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Kirios posted:

Mine came Friday too. My 7 year old and I particularly agreed to not open the box because of its crazy eBay / Amazon performance.

Pity that the 'flocking' isn't also reflected in a spiffy in-game skin for Stump Smash. Both of us were a little excited to see what he'd look like, considering that the 'legendaries' have their own skins. Alas, it's just generic Stump Smash.

What really forgives however is that Stump Smash is a murderer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
... I have spent way too much money on this stuff over the past three days. This is why I told myself back when this came out that I wasn't going to get into this.

... well, at least I lasted this long before I finally caved in. :negative:

Though that said, the games are pretty fun. :unsmith:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Just wait till Giants comes out in september, and adds another 40+ figures, but at least all the first set figures are usable in it as well (whole new adventure)

My kids (ages 4 and 6) and wife are nuts for this game, its pretty fun though I admit.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
When using the first set of figures in giants, apparantly the can't level up any more, which isn't a big deal as level doesn't do much beyond a small health increase. What I'm concerned about is whether or not they can get any new powers. Getting new powers is pretty much all my kid cares about and there's no way I'm buying the figures again.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wise fwom your gwave...

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/05/skylanders-giants-series-2-figures-stats-ability-upgrades/

Wired article posted:

Anticipating a flood of Skylanders Giants news at E3 I was pleased to get a little head-start when I was invited onto the Media Pulp podcast with John Davison (Gamespot), Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb), Alex Ness from developer Toys For Bob and Mike Stout from Activision. It turned into a candid discussion of all things Skylanders where I gleaned not a few new things about the new game.

Firstly it was interesting to hear both Alex and Mike talking about Series 2 Skylanders to describe the new, reposed, light-up and giant characters coming in Giants. It’s no mean feat to talk about these different groupings in a coherent way and fascinating to see this language develop as we get closer to these figures hitting shops.

Most pressing in this regard is to present a clear and coherent story over which figures are new, which are re-released and which are enhanced. If you’ve not tracked with all the Skylanders Giants news the new game will provide new figures, re-posed figures, light up figures and of course the Giants.

As our conversation turned to the new game I was intrigued to hear how Activision and Toys For Bob had made decisions about incentives to buy the reposed Skylanders figures in particular — these will be re-released versions of the original Series 1 figures from the first game.

Alex Ness confirmed that “Series 2 [Skylanders] will have some different abilities and stats and some uber upgrades that the other [Series 1] ones don’t get.”

This is a double-edged sword, it provides a reason to buy the new figures, but also potentially down-grades the importance of the Series 1 figures from the original game. Mike Stout underlined the fact that they understood how important this balancing act was to get right. “There’s a trust with the consumer and if we violate that they won’t want it anymore.” When the consumers are children (and their parents) this balance of trust and profits is all the more precarious.
Skylanders Giants TreerexSkylanders Giants Treerex

Skylanders Giants Treerex

I asked Mike and Alex whether these limits to the Series 1 figures from the first game (not getting the different abilities and super upgrades) were because of technical limitations. Mike responded, “we want to make you feel good about buying a character who is reposed. We put the idea in front of a lot of parents and children and what they would always say is ‘OK it’s a toy, it’s reposed, but what does it do in the game?’ We wanted to make sure there was a compelling case for why is this guy cool. It was more a design and customer satisfaction thing than it was a technical thing.”

This all sounded pretty reasonable, and I was glad that they didn’t just dodge the bullet with an argument around technical limitations. However I still had the nagging feeling that when I told my kids about this they would ask “Why can’t Stump Smash get the new upgrades dad, is he broken?” So this was my next question. Was there was a point where Activision and Toys For Bob had thought about giving the Series 1 figures all these new abilities and decided against it?

Alex responded this time. “No, because when we were first talking about the Series 2 it was clear they needed to look a little bit different. Besides just the repose they’ve got some different qualities to them that I think you’ll see in the E3 release and some extra powers. We never really thought about doing that. We certainly want people to bring their Series 1 Skylanders into Giants and we support that completely.”

It’s this decision, that prioritizes making Series 2 figures exciting over ensuring Series 1 figures aren’t devalued, that is the biggest risk of Skylanders Giants for me. That’s not to say it’s insurmountable, but like in the first game they will be leaning heavily on the creative skills of the videogame and character designers to offer enough good stuff to off-set this cost — both financial and emotional (in the case of my kids) — to players.
Skylanders Giants TreerexSkylanders Giants Treerex

Skylanders Giants Treerex

My kids have gone on a magical journey with their Series 1 figures, which is a big reason I’m so enthusiastic about the whole Skylanders proposition. The toys mean something more than other toys or video-games do in our family. The figures have been marked by my kids (quite literally) and become family members to some extent. I’m not sure how we transition them to the Series 2 versions. Maybe we’ll just decide to live without the new abilities and super powers and just focus on the Giants but that seems like a shame.

There is a silver lining though, as Mike highlighted, there is still additional value in Skylanders Giants for the Series 1 figures. “You can level your old Skylanders up to level 15. Kids have a relationship with the old Skylanders and we want them to still be able to use them and have fun with them in the new game and have things to do. You have new hero challenges in the new game from having those old toys.”

By the end of the conversation I was still trying to get my head round all the implications. It was good to hear with clarity how Series 1 and Series 2 figures will be different in the new game. Although I have some reservations this is quite similar to my initial reaction to the first game before I played it and held my first toy figure. There are some pressing questions that I know won’t sit well with my kids in all this, but I’m happy to reserve judgement until I play the game proper and see everything Skylanders Giants has to offer.

Here are the (unofficial) details I’ve compiled from the pre-E3 information available to date along with Amazon searches to keep track of availability. I’ll be updating it as more details emerge from the show in June.

code:
Figure Type / Base Colour / How Many / Use in Spyro’s Adventure? / Higher level
cap in Giants? /  Extra Upgrades in Giants?
Series 2 Giant Skylanders 	Orange 	8 	No 	Yes 	Yes
Series 2 Light-Core Skylanders 	Orange 	4 	No 	Yes 	Yes
Series 2 New Skylanders 	Orange 	8 	No 	Yes 	Yes
Series 2 Reposed Skylanders 	Orange 	32 	Yes 	Yes 	Yes
Series 2 Light-Core Skylanders 	Orange 	4 	Yes 	Yes 	Yes
Series 1 Skylanders 	        Green 	32 	Yes 	Yes 	No
Series 1 Legendary Skylanders 	Green 	4 	Yes 	Yes 	No
Series 1 Silver Skylanders 	Green 	3 	Yes 	Yes 	No
Series 1 Gold Skylanders 	Green 	3 	Yes 	Yes 	No
Adventure Pack Characters 	Green 	4 	Yes 	Yes 	No
I *just* loving finished completing my son's Skylander collection a month ago, and it's looking like I'll be doing it AGAIN next year... god I'm such an idiot with money when it comes to toys and my children.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I have been checking out stuff on Skylanders recently because it encourages me to buy and collect stupid crap, which I love to do. How are the prices now for the toys? Can I get a lot without spending $100 or so?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

I have been checking out stuff on Skylanders recently because it encourages me to buy and collect stupid crap, which I love to do. How are the prices now for the toys? Can I get a lot without spending $100 or so?

The internet says yes, but depending on bidding. Here's an ebay I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-Set-Lot-of-49-Skylanders-Characters-Used-/221141393576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d0de0a8

In store they're still about 8 dollars each.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I did a little investigating too and saw that GameStop sells used toys. I can't find prices, so does anyone know the average price?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Liar Lyre posted:

I did a little investigating too and saw that GameStop sells used toys. I can't find prices, so does anyone know the average price?

Rather nominal. It's often just a dollar off, but sometimes that can vary depending on the store you're at.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*
So all 32 series 1 skylanders are supposed to have a series 2 re-posed version? I noticed on the Giants box art that 1 skylander per element seems to be missing...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

5er posted:

Rather nominal. It's often just a dollar off, but sometimes that can vary depending on the store you're at.

If I start fresh and buy 20 figs, that's $20 off. I got some gift cards so i might splurge a bit.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Seeing how tomorrow is Giants day (Should we make a separate thread for that, or should this be a general thread for all Skylanders stuff?), I thought it might help people if I posted this list an Activision employee made listing both all the figures that will be out on launch day as well as each retailer exclusive. Gamestop looks to have the best one, with a three-pack of Series 2 Chop Chop, a cannon powerup, and Shroomboom. This will be the only way to get both characters on launch day.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Anyone else have Giants yet? I'm really impressed with the improved sense of polish and personality it has. There are a lot of little graphical touches that makes everything feel less "basic" if that makes any sense, and the Skylanders each have a lot more dialogue. The framerate's better as well. Gameplay-wise, it's nearly identical except for the different dynamics the Giants add, but I'm not complaining.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
I'll admit to have trying the game when the first one game out for my PS3. I thought it was kinda neat the way the toys integrated with the game but it's such a massive marketing technique, which has clearly loving worked. I can't browse a game store or Target game section (etc) without seeing some kid or kids running in to see what Skylanders toys the store has.

I ended up selling my game and figures on eBay not too long after getting it. The thing is, the gameplay is extremely repetitive and simple ( hell, the ORIGINAL Spyro game for the PS1 was more involved than Skylanders) and the graphics were nothing impressive.

I mean I can see the appeal of it for some people, but I can clearly tell the developers of the game were more concerned with putting effort into designing character after character to be made into toys, instead of making enjoyable, varied gameplay

Cryptobotanist fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 22, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think it has to do with designing for a younger audience. Gameplay is repetitive, but it slowly ramps up in difficulty and adds a few new features. The LEGO series is a good example. Each game is basically the same with lots of repetition in each game, but it remains a favorite if mine for being well made and fun.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
gently caress, I'm gonna get dragged into this again aren't I. Spent too much last year.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm way too addicted to the new iOS game (Lost Islands). Is basically a Farmville type thing, but you can add characters using their codes. I only installed it for my kid, but I keep trying to get the iPad off him to play it myself.

Like all the Skylander stuff it's not anything new or orignal, but it's polished and fun. The third iOS game, which isn't out yet, looks pretty good as well.

Also Cloud Patrol got a big update and it's way harder now.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I did a little bit of research, and it turns out this game was developed by Toys For Bob. The same guys who made Star Control II and The Horde starring Kirk Cameron.

So that's why its, you know, good.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
If your kid wants Eye Brawl, good luck. I just saw it on Amazon for $79.99, allow 3-5 weeks for delivery. Santa's gonna have a hard time finding these. That's one of the figures my nephew wants.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/837...k-lightning-rod

Not sure how many of these are left, but a few skylanders (1) figures are $2.99 at amazon. My son is getting Giants for xmas, and as I understand, you can take the old characters into the new game. I got 6 of these that he didn't have for just under $20.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Pikced Giants up last week for my 6 year old son and hes totally obsessed now. I have to say Im impressed about the whole deal- the figures are really nice and the game, while simple, is fun as hell. Its perfectly pitched at a kids ability. Its marketing genius too, these things are like crack to him and his friends.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

rockinricky posted:

If your kid wants Eye Brawl, good luck. I just saw it on Amazon for $79.99, allow 3-5 weeks for delivery. Santa's gonna have a hard time finding these. That's one of the figures my nephew wants.

I've been vigilant since Giants dropped, hoovering up the new guys, Lightcore dudes, and a couple re-poses that are cool- and hiding them away from my son, who is getting them for Christmas, and who has been forbidden from discussing the toys as we pretend that we're too poverty stricken to consider picking the game up now, or for Christmas. It hasn't been easy, but I expect Christmas morning he's going to shoot through the roof.

Of the giants, Eye Brawl (ud), Ninjini (magic) and Thumpback (water) don't appear to be out in normal circulation. There are a handful of lightcore / regular version 2 reposes that also don't appear to be out, nor that little fire dog, 'Hot Dog'. I've used the search feature at Gamestop, Amazon and Toys R Us' respective sites, and most of these things don't even have out-of-stock placeholders yet.
Whether it is an intentional shortage to generate attention, or just lousy logistical planning on Activision's part, they're jerks (first world problems).

The Hot Head (fire) giant is out, but I've noticed in a trickle. He's the one that anyone stands a reasonable chance of walking into any given store and getting. I'm pretty sure the bee, robot and golem giants, everyone's just tired of seeing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife wants the girl with the two swords (a genie or something?) and I've looked EVERYWHERE for it and all the stores all have the same 4 giants.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

LorneReams posted:

My wife wants the girl with the two swords (a genie or something?) and I've looked EVERYWHERE for it and all the stores all have the same 4 giants.

I think ninjini is wave 2 which isn't fully out yet. I want Thumpback which is hard to find apparently since it is also wave 2.
I got the triple lightcore pack from target which is pretty cool.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well I just got hosed. My wife picked this game up yesterday, and she's a completionist. Is the cheapest way to get the figurines to get them off ebay/amazon?

Does it have any effect if these are used by someone else? I'm assuming it's just some simple data in the figurine.

Also, can the Portal of Power be used in Giants, so I don't have to rebuy all that poo poo?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well I just got hosed. My wife picked this game up yesterday, and she's a completionist. Is the cheapest way to get the figurines to get them off ebay/amazon?

Does it have any effect if these are used by someone else? I'm assuming it's just some simple data in the figurine.

Also, can the Portal of Power be used in Giants, so I don't have to rebuy all that poo poo?

The figures can be reset in game if they have data from a previous user, so that isn't an issue. The portal should carry over between games so long as you're on the same platform. There's a version of Giants that just comes with the game and a new Giant figure.

As for getting the figures cheap, I'm not really sure. I haven't checked in a while. Ebay is good for finding batches of figures, but the "rare" ones are going to be price gouged.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do the heroic challenges work. I see I get a new one every time I add a guy to my game. Can you do them on multiple characters to get the bonuses on each character, or are the bonuses on your save as a whole?

Is there a max you can have on each guy or is the sky the limit? Does every figurine give one (including the old ones from the first game?) Are they active in battle mode?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
i haven't seen any Giants threads popping up so i figure this is the catchall thread, but all this talk of figures made me feel like posting this

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Skylanders-Giants-Exclusive-Employee-Edition-Prism-Break-is-Silver-and-Gold/11836

i have two. Now I am awesome on the internet?

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

treeboy posted:

i have two. Now I am awesome on the internet?

Maybe? I think it makes him look like a piece of popcorn. Angry, gem-sprouting popcorn. I'm mildly disappointed that non-legendary variants don't seem to reflect their weird coloration. They still count as distinct figures (labelled 'Special' or something) but no in-game popcorn golems.

'Ownership' means pretty much anything and can be swapped willy-nilly without consequence and any character collection data and heroic challenge unlocks stay unlocked. It's nice in the case of Spyro versus Giants as the games do not share ownership data, i.e. a guy first used in Giants will fail to pop collection data and heroic challenges in Spyro's Adventure. Changing ownership will wipe a figure's custom name but that's the extent of it. Resetting a figure is another story altogether.

As far as collecting figures goes, provided you're not particular heroic challenges any Giants character that appeared in Spyro will work in Spyro. There's little compelling reason to hunt down, say, the $40 series 1 Zap since a series 2 Zap will be available early next year in a $25 combo package with an arena level and Hot Dog. Despite being labelled as incompatible on the package the new light core versions of characters will work in the original game, albeit as standard figures. Series 2 light core Drobot works just fine in Spyro's Adventure, he just doesn't pop the light core distinction.

The cheapest way to get the current line of tiny bastards is to buy them on sale. Toys r Us has been having buy one get one 40% off online or 50% in store on and off. They're also not a bad source for series 1 guys in some stores. I wish I'd known they were flush with Warnado/ Camo/ Ignitor three-packs semi-locally before I'd gotten singles for Warnado and Camo. Target used to have sales when the original game was released but I don't know about currently. I have enough of the bastards and a few TRU Legendaries :3: Legendary Bouncer looks cool as gently caress, the blue and gold makes him look like a Flash Gordon reject.

Robolizard! posted:

How do the heroic challenges work. I see I get a new one every time I add a guy to my game. Can you do them on multiple characters to get the bonuses on each character, or are the bonuses on your save as a whole?

Each figure registered as 'owned' to a game pops a challenge. Giants differentiates between series 1 and series 2 figures of the same character and will pop a challenge for each. All characters can any challenge to receive a stat boost. I think there's a cap for each stat but it's pretty damned high.

What I don't know is if the series 2 extended level cap carries over into Spyro's Adventure. Series 1 used to max at level 10 but the series 2 are supposed to go to 15.

Kind of an excessive amount of babble but meh. There ain't nothing wrong with a game allowing a bouncy pillbug in a graduation mortar. Or a crab in a top hat.

Edit: gently caress, I was wrong about hats. Apparently the espionage helmet exists in both games but Giants-specific ones like the mortar and Santa hat won't appear. Wreckingball needs his graduation mortar, dammit :mad:!

SassyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gave Giants and a pile of hoarded series 2 figures to my son for Christmas, and we finally had a chance to sit down and play together earlier this week. We used his series 1 figures to fill in the gaps of the series 2 reposes we didn't have yet, and I noticed that when you do that, you do get credit towards the elemental power boost & exp bonus accolade... but you don't unlock their heroic challenges. Only series 2 guys will unlock their respective heroic challenges.

More on that, I've noticed that if you pick up a Lightcore guy, I don't think there's any point in getting that character's 'normal' version. I got a Lightcore Jet-Vac, and a legendary one from the Toys R Us exclusive 3-pack. Only one heroic challenge is available for him, and why are you going to bother using the normal guy when the Lightcore dude has a significant stat boost?

Also, legendary Bouncer looks spiffy as hell. Like a ricer-painted Iron Giant.

• Locked thread