Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

By default, you have access to the battle music chiptunes (or at least the regular battle ones, I forget if boss music is included).

Huh. Maybe it asks for payment later, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
First track of Lightning Returns released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjfFIEKFFc

Hamauzu can do no wrong. Such a brilliant composer.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It feels like FF is now half-assing it's own serial gimmick: Rather than a totally new world and heroes each game, all we get is the new world. Same hero.

Imagine if Tidus high-fived his dad, then suddenly was a scrappy street urchin in the slums of Rabanastre.

Then pretend that might not actually be an improvement.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Mazed posted:

Then pretend that might not actually be an improvement.

Vaan was more irrelevant, than he was annoying, though. He was only really involved for a few hours of a hundred hour story before the focus shifted onto Balthier, Ashe and Basch. I don't get the hate for Vaan because he is such a footnote in the story after Bhujerba; whereas Tidus is plot relevant for the whole story, so if you don't like his brand of teenage anime hero characterization, then you're stuck for the whole game.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

The problem is he's there to pander. But yeah, as far as his actual role and characterization in the game he's pretty non offensive. It's really only his design that grates. :shrug: Such is Square.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I actually like Vaan as a character. Like he's generic scrappy dude number 4, but at least he shows some emotional depth and maturity in places.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Vaan the only reason we didn't just start the game as Balthier or a hobo Basche wandering the streets of Rabenastre?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

My point was that it's a bit silly to have the same main character in a totally different story.

But yeah, Vaan would honestly have been fine if they'd just written him into the ongoing plot better. Honestly, both he and Penelo could have been great if they'd explored their growth as both members of a resistance movement and good friends with second-to-the-throne of the empire they're resisting.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mazed posted:

But yeah, Vaan would honestly have been fine if they'd just written him into the ongoing plot better. Honestly, both he and Penelo could have been great if they'd explored their growth as both members of a resistance movement and good friends with second-to-the-throne of the empire they're resisting.

Revenant Wings kind of explored those things and they were kinda boring in the end.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Vaan and Penelo should've been one character called Penelo (a GIRL who wants to be a sky pirate?!) and the sixth character should've been a male demihuman with some personality to give us an additional look at the races of Ivalice (Ba'gamnan or Montblanc would've worked for this)

VVVVV: I disagree with this because no other character before or since could be adequately described as a cross between Chewbacca and Bjork

Baku fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 23, 2012

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Pretty sure Fran is the worst character. lovely stats too.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Fran's role was pretty much the one "mystical" person, who sort of brings an explanation for all the magical crap going on. Though really, that only seemed to kick in when it was convenient.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Vaan and Penelo should've been one character called Penelo (a GIRL who wants to be a sky pirate?!) and the sixth character should've been a male demihuman with some personality to give us an additional look at the races of Ivalice (Ba'gamnan or Montblanc would've worked for this)

You know, I really like that idea. Penelo as "lead" works (no one had a problem with a lady being the story's early driving force in VI), but in particular, it really bugged me that they created all those demihuman races but had only one in the party (and the most 'human' one, at that).

Both your suggestions would've had great chemistry with the rest of them, too. Montblanc as kind of the older wise dude (advise the princess, be bros with the soldier, bring the cocky pirate down a notch every so often), and Ba'gamnan as the scruffy, id-driven rear end in a top hat as a foil for all of them.

Though honestly, I'dve also settled for Gilgamesh as a hidden recruitable.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Vaan and Penelo should've been one character called Penelo (a GIRL who wants to be a sky pirate?!)

Obviously, Mint from Threads of Fate should've taken the lead in XII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was pretty annoyed that FFXII had a cast of entirely humans (Well human and one bunny-girl who may as well have been a cosplaying human.) One of the neat things about having a game full of diverse races is that it changes your party members too!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

That loving Sned posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX (PS3)

Really? That's what they're going to call it? That's how the title on the box will read?

Oh, boy.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I... I don't... Nier's story wasn't very good?

I merely meant that the stuff in 700af and the ending reminded me of Nier :v:. The story wasn't as good as Nier's was though, which was my point. There's a much clearer Nier influence in the music though.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Mazed posted:

Though honestly, I'dve also settled for Gilgamesh as a hidden recruitable.

Gilgamesh would have been great as a Guest for the endgame. He's someone you should never directly control but his only Gambit would be "Do Awesome Stuff" so it really wouldn't matter.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cityinthesea posted:

I merely meant that the stuff in 700af and the ending reminded me of Nier :v:. The story wasn't as good as Nier's was though, which was my point. There's a much clearer Nier influence in the music though.

I can agree with you there, which is why I thought XIII-2's soundtrack was brilliant. The NIER influence definitely helped.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cardboard Fox posted:

Really? That's what they're going to call it? That's how the title on the box will read?

Oh, boy.

Hey this is the same Franchise as 358/2 Days and RE:Chain of Memories (Which has a Rebirth Reverse story mode in it). Dumb names are the norm for KH.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've gotten the urge to play through FF6 again, but to use the most overpowered team possible. Is there a guide somewhere to breaking the game with optimal stat progression?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I've gotten the urge to play through FF6 again, but to use the most overpowered team possible. Is there a guide somewhere to breaking the game with optimal stat progression?

The most overpowered team possible is basically just just going to involve "use Gau and Gogo."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'd say more Gau and Mog since Gogo's core stats are pretty crappy and you can never increase them through Espers. They're the only two who can use the Snow Muffler, anyone else is just icing. I guess Locke since he's the only one who can use both the Atma Weapon and the Valiant Knife, both of which ignore the -25% damage penalty from the Offering (and the Genji Glove if you're using the GBA cart).

As far as optimal stat progression goes, basically anything that isn't Speed or Stamina. Speed is somewhat useless unless you get it into the 100s (at which point you've missed out on maxing your Vigor or Magic) simply because of how the ATB works. I guess technically if you LLG it until the World of Ruin, you'll have just barely enough free levels to get Locke's Vigor to 128 and his Speed to ~100 if you completely ignore Magic while still maxing his HP and MP.

On the other hand, if you're playing the GBA version? You lose your levels but keep your Esper stat boosts when you die, so any LLG shenanigans are rendered moot.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I'd say more Gau and Mog since Gogo's core stats are pretty crappy and you can never increase them through Espers. They're the only two who can use the Snow Muffler, anyone else is just icing.

Gogo's stats suck but he can still use Rages which makes him almost as fundamentally broken as Gau just by his very nature. Mimic is also pretty nice but not in the same area. The other choices would be Mog (depending on version, although he's pretty good in everything thanks to Snow Muffler/Snow Scarf) and Locke, thanks to his list of equippable weapons.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

On the other hand, if you're playing the GBA version? You lose your levels but keep your Esper stat boosts when you die, so any LLG shenanigans are rendered moot.

I think you got that backwards. When you die, you keep your experience - and thus your levels - but lose everything else - items, gold, and Esper stat boosts.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, in the SNES version, but they changed that poo poo in the GBA.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

Outside of Gau (who owns) and Umaro (who's pretty bad), I'd have a hard time describing the most broken team because almost every character in that game is awesome somehow/with the proper stats raised and so much of your characters' power is tied up in equipment and relics anyway. Here's some other characters people haven't discussed.

Terra: Good equipment list including Atma Weapon, Morph used sparingly will last for a whole boss battle and provide a ridiculous further boost, learns some useful spells on her own.

Setzer: Has a bunch of weird useful special weapons (instant KO stuff and the Fixed Dice which are the easiest way to hit the damage cap with low stats), Fixed Dice aren't connected to stats and Slots are based on Magic so if you pump his Magic he'll still have killer attack damage at the end and also have a useful albeit semi-random ability and powerful spells.

Shadow: Weapon selection isn't great but until the end when only multi-hit attacks really matter Throw is super powerful and cheap to fund and Interceptor will randomly oneshot monsters.

Edgar: Good equipment list including Atma Weapon, Tools is the best special ability for the first two-thirds of the game before multi-hit attacks are what you want giving a ton of AE or single-target damage with no cost whatsoever.

Honestly even if you're trying to break FF6 the best advice is just to use whichever guys you like and focus on their Strength/Vigor and Magic stats, depending on the character and how you use them. It's not a very difficult game to begin with, and the Magic command is incredibly powerful (doubly so since the Magic stat also modifies a number of character abilities like Slot and several of Sabin's Blitzes). Even Cyan, who people like to rag on, has Dispatch (which is great in the first half of the game) and is the only character who can do a Genji/Offering setup with his Tempest katanas, which randomly and frequently proc a hit-all wind attack.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 24, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not to mention the GBA's glitch that lets you reset a character to the level they joined at through some save/quicksave/newgame/recruit-said-character/get-game-over shenanigans. Fastest with Terra for obvious reasons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
On a sidenote when/if an FF6 remake in the vein of FF4DS (I know they like said they were making this but they also said they were making VS13) is done, I've always thought it'd be pretty easy to fix Cyan's Swordtechs by just making it so you pick them from a menu and then the ones from like 4+ have increasing charge timers before execution. For a lot of the game the big problem with him isn't even that the abilities themselves are bad, it's that they keep anyone else with a full ATB bar from acting too!

I still think he gets too much flak, though. Dispatch is pretty much the same thing as picking Fight except it does more damage and ignores defense; it doesn't benefit from the Genji Glove or Offering but it does benefit from the Gauntlet and you only have one Offering anyway. I feel like a lot of people just poo poo on Sabin/Cyan because of how new players think they're awesome or whatever, when in actuality they are perfectly good for 75% of the game if you know what you're doing (100% if you have other people in your party taking up your Gem Box and Offering anyway).

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 24, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

sector_corrector posted:

I've really only played the SNES version, but I like to use Locke, Celes, Sabin, and Gogo/Mog. Locke uses Genji Glove/Offering to do tons of damage with Atma Weapon/Illumina. Give Celes all the magic + the Paladin Shield + as much magic evasion as possible so she's basically untouchable. Sabin gets time with Espers that boost magic power so Bum Rush does tons of damage + another Genji Glove for kicks. Gogo mimics Sabin's blitzes and Celes's magic or Mog just gets big stats and good gear for when he's not Dancing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyan's problem isn't just his swordtech. His equipment is also pretty medicore, his basic stats are pretty eh, and he's in general just not very good. His Swordtech really just needs a different basic mechanic. There are a lot of ways they could handle it which are more engaging and less... uh, crap.

Sabin isn't *fantastic* but he's a well Cyan as long as you build him properly. He's got access to some nice abilities even if he isn't going to be absolutely top tier. He's got a good place in 3-team areas compared to Cyan who you're better off leaving at home for basically anyone else.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Cyan's problem isn't just his swordtech. His equipment is also pretty medicore, his basic stats are pretty eh, and he's in general just not very good. His Swordtech really just needs a different basic mechanic. There are a lot of ways they could handle it which are more engaging and less... uh, crap.

Sabin isn't *fantastic* but he's a well Cyan as long as you build him properly. He's got access to some nice abilities even if he isn't going to be absolutely top tier. He's got a good place in 3-team areas compared to Cyan who you're better off leaving at home for basically anyone else.

Yeah, I would always use Cyan in Mog's party so I could just avoid battles entirely.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
It's something always that's annoyed me with JRPG discussion, especially in the 16-bit era - focusing on end game balance when a lot of the time, the hardest parts of the game are earlier on before you have your obscenely broken stuff.

Cyan is pretty much the icon of this. From a pure-optimization standpoint, he's terrible outside Quick+Quadra Slice. Most of the game, just spamming Dispatch is solid DPS, free and instant, and is a pillar of the Edgar/Sabin/Cyan trio of 'gently caress Resource Management', stomping holes through the world of balance as a Perpetual rear end Kicking Machine.

Likewise: The Monk in FF5. Endgame, it's useless, but most of the game, slapping barehand on a mage lets them conserve MP pretty well without leeching up all the good weapons. Tellah gets poo poo on for being permanently at 90 MP, but -aga spells at that point in the game crap all over things and trivialize some boss fights.

On the other side of the coin, I remember fierce teenage arguments that you should use a Thief in FF1, because a Ninja is so awesome guys, he can FAST himself. Nevermind a Red Wizard can do this too without being a horrendous burden on the team until class change.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At endgame, I like to make Cyan an Imp with Dragoon Boots and all the Imp-specific equipment.

If you want to optimize a team for FF6, remember that Sabin wants magic, not strength, because all his better blitzes are magic-based.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You don't really need a guide to break the game. The minute that Vanish/Doom becomes a thing you can easily cheese the majority of battles (pretty much as soon as you get the airship). And then once you get the Economizers the game becomes trivial (though this does require a bit of grinding).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

1st AD posted:

You don't really need a guide to break the game. The minute that Vanish/Doom becomes a thing you can easily cheese the majority of battles (pretty much as soon as you get the airship).

Note that this bug was fixed in the GBA version, where invisibility still makes magic perfectly accurate but no longer overrides status immunity. Not like you needed it to make the game easy anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You could probably solo FF6 with any character, even without Espers/Magic, besides Umaro maybe. Once you know the tricks to the game, it's probably the easiest FF in the main series, besides maybe FF8 which is hilariously broken in its own way.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any mods that switch up character abilities / difficulties?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't forget that you can throw an Echo Screen to rig (un-rig?) the RNG, and then drop Setzer's Joker Doom on nearly every opponent in the game, including Kefka. There's also Gau's Nightshade Rage, which works on everything. Everything.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

Are there any mods that switch up character abilities / difficulties?

Why yes as a matter of fact!

(I'm actually being kinda serious, Awful Fantasy is broken as gently caress but it's pretty amusing if you've already played FF6 before; characters with custom ability sets and weird bugs some of which are intentional and some not abound)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess the Street Fighter/Auron Simon dealie was already filled by Sabin. They should've just, as someone else said, made it a choose-your-tech dealie where it charges a hidden ATB based on his Speed. It'd at least make speeds <100 worth half a drat on Cyan.

YggiDee posted:

Don't forget that you can throw an Echo Screen to rig (un-rig?) the RNG, and then drop Setzer's Joker Doom on nearly every opponent in the game, including Kefka. There's also Gau's Nightshade Rage, which works on everything. Everything.
Oh but isn't that cheating? The best Rage is Intangir where Gau just instantly drops a Pep Up and dies.