Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Okay that was definitely the best place that conversation could have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
The autoresponder pile doesn't stop from getting taller.

And neither does the list of people hating on the autoresponder pile.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So that part of the ring does work for humans. Interesting.

I bet for Christmas we're going to see Dirk beating the poo poo out of something using a fancy santa.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

So that part of the ring does work for humans. Interesting.

As much as the timetables worked, or the needles. It's a placebo. Roxy likes long-winded wizard fic so there's pretty much no way she never read Lord of the Rings, she knows what weird magic rings do when you put them on, and it's helped by the fact that it's the intended purpose of the ring anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Freudian posted:

As much as the timetables worked, or the needles. It's a placebo. Roxy likes long-winded wizard fic so there's pretty much no way she never read Lord of the Rings, she knows what weird magic rings do when you put them on, and it's helped by the fact that it's the intended purpose of the ring anyway.

I like this idea better.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Torokasi posted:

And neither does the list of people hating on the autoresponder pile.

Aw, we hate the autoresponder? :( Since when?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Plom Bar posted:

Aw, we hate the autoresponder? :( Since when?

I think he was referring to the characters. Everybody has pretty much given Lil' Hal sass at this point.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Freudian posted:

I think the timetables actually worked, because Gamzee was able to use Aradia's. All of the magic paraphernalia we've seen so far-- Rose's various needles and Eridan's wand-- were placebos, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ring falls into that category for Roxy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cabbit posted:

I think the timetables actually worked, because Gamzee was able to use Aradia's.

When did this happen? During one of the flash games? I was rereading all of it earlier and I didn't see it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RBA Starblade posted:

When did this happen? During one of the flash games? I was rereading all of it earlier and I didn't see it.

When he first showed up in Jane's land, I believe, he was flanked by Aradia's timetables.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cabbit posted:

I think the timetables actually worked, because Gamzee was able to use Aradia's. All of the magic paraphernalia we've seen so far-- Rose's various needles and Eridan's wand-- were placebos, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ring falls into that category for Roxy.

Well that just speaks even more to my theory - Aradia's music boxes and the Ring of Void both appear to be an odd sort of placebo that actually has functionality. Sort of like a blinker stone in Gunnerkrigg Court, actually - a cross between a focus and training wheels for the powers within.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Now I'm pretty sure he's keeping the name Lil' Hal after all, which is nice, as Auto-Responder just creates confusion when abbreviated.

Freudian posted:

Well that just speaks even more to my theory - Aradia's music boxes and the Ring of Void both appear to be an odd sort of placebo that actually has functionality. Sort of like a blinker stone in Gunnerkrigg Court, actually - a cross between a focus and training wheels for the powers within.

This is my thought as well, although I'd probably lump the wands in with them too.

Which reminds me, I still really want to know if Rose is ever going to use a wand again, if she literally has zero use for them now, or if she doesn't even have access or want of that magic any more. What would she do in a strife?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Midnight Raider posted:

Now I'm pretty sure he's keeping the name Lil' Hal after all, which is nice, as Auto-Responder just creates confusion when abbreviated.

This is my thought as well, although I'd probably lump the wands in with them too.

Which reminds me, I still really want to know if Rose is ever going to use a wand again, if she literally has zero use for them now, or if she doesn't even have access or want of that magic any more. What would she do in a strife?

John currently has the Needlekind specibus, for what it's worth.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Perhaps John will return Rose her Strife Specibus when they meet. Terezi might not have hit God Tier, but even with a likely reduced role in combat while conducting the battle with the Black King she likely still had her weapon and could use it if pressed.

Rose will probably have the Quills of Echidna at her disposal if she wanted them. And some yarn.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Somehow something as mundane as returning a strife specibus seems beneath the plot by this point, like if Rose wants to use some needles in a fight to cast some majyyyks who is a specibus to tell her she can't? On the other hand adherence to this sort of arbitrary plot shenanigans is a hallmark of Homestuck at times, so who knows.

Anyway! Let's get back to poo poo that people care about, and that is the update! My guess here is Roxy's about to buzz all her friends and get similar "I'm busy sulking and don't have time for your very important information!" responses. Either that or this is the point where the Auto Responder goes from amusing Dirk-related entity to increasingly troubling Dirk-related problem.

What I'm really curious about is whether the Condesce ordered the Droll to deliver that ring because she intended Roxy to escape so that she can incidentally/accidentally carry out the mission the Condesce gave her, or whether the Dignitary gave the order because he wants to prevent the Condesce from getting Roxy to fulfill that mission.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Freudian posted:

I'm pretty sure the time tables and etc. did actually work. It seems like conscious, directed control of one's aspect as a non-God Tier player requires some sort of focus for you to do it with (Rose scrying with a crystal ball, Dave and Aradia's time travel devices, even Eridan's science stick enabling him to become the Destroyer of Hope), and one of the big perks of God Tier is full mastery over your aspect. I suspect rather than it being a Michael Jordan's Magic Water thing, the ring is just allowing Roxy to tap her Void powers by virtue of its being a powerful Void-related artifact.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
For a brief, glorious second there I saw Lil Hal's red text at the end and thought it was Dave hanging out with Dirk :smith:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I'm pretty sure the time tables and etc. did actually work. It seems like conscious, directed control of one's aspect as a non-God Tier player requires some sort of focus for you to do it with (Rose scrying with a crystal ball, Dave and Aradia's time travel devices, even Eridan's science stick enabling him to become the Destroyer of Hope), and one of the big perks of God Tier is full mastery over your aspect. I suspect rather than it being a Michael Jordan's Magic Water thing, the ring is just allowing Roxy to tap her Void powers by virtue of its being a powerful Void-related artifact.

Except for when John did the Windy Thing. I guess you could argue he wasn't directing it because he didn't really know what he was doing but he was trying to do it at the time.

Edit: Ah, but Terezi didn't need anything to look into her Minds Eye and shes definately no God Tier.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Except for when John did the Windy Thing. I guess you could argue he wasn't directing it because he didn't really know what he was doing but he was trying to do it at the time.

Edit: Ah, but Terezi didn't need anything to look into her Minds Eye and shes definately no God Tier.

Well, I dunno, it's not rock solid but I feel like you can probably make a partial exception for the Heir, whose whole deal as a class seems to be falling unawares into their power (Equius' unwitting zone of Void is similar), and even then when John does it it's under great duress and at a huge moment of climax etc etc. Once he hits God Tier, he can just blow things around with wind no trouble, pick up a car or bore through the planet. The actual scale of what he does with The Breeze in all three cases is pretty similar, but his ease of access to it and level of control is much greater once he's God Tier.

Terezi is a strange case because we don't have a God Tier Seer of Mind to compare to, but you could probably argue that her focus is her coin - or maybe intuiting behavioral futures is just a baseline Seer of Mind power similar to Dave's mental knack for time, and the fully realised Seer of Mind does something way crazier.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Android Blues posted:

Well, I dunno, it's not rock solid but I feel like you can probably make a partial exception for the Heir, whose whole deal as a class seems to be falling unawares into their power (Equius' unwitting zone of Void is similar), and even then when John does it it's under great duress and at a huge moment of climax etc etc. Once he hits God Tier, he can just blow things around with wind no trouble, pick up a car or bore through the planet. The actual scale of what he does with The Breeze in all three cases is pretty similar, but his ease of access to it and level of control is much greater once he's God Tier.

Terezi is a strange case because we don't have a God Tier Seer of Mind to compare to, but you could probably argue that her focus is her coin - or maybe intuiting behavioral futures is just a baseline Seer of Mind power similar to Dave's mental knack for time, and the fully realised Seer of Mind does something way crazier.

I think all the Class/Aspect combos are capable of subconsciously tapping into their powers pre-God Tier under the right circumstances. John did a Windy thing twice (once to put out the burning Salamander village, and then to put out the entire planet), Jane did a Lifey thing to resurrect her dreamself, Roxy has a permanent Void bubble following her...I can't think of any other circumstances offhand, but I'm pretty sure all the players can do it, rather than a particular class.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I the only one who isn't really looking forward to more Dirk? I know he's one of the new main characters and all, but I really, really don't want to see more of him, or any of his clones and whatnot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I think all the Class/Aspect combos are capable of subconsciously tapping into their powers pre-God Tier under the right circumstances. John did a Windy thing twice (once to put out the burning Salamander village, and then to put out the entire planet), Jane did a Lifey thing to resurrect her dreamself, Roxy has a permanent Void bubble following her...I can't think of any other circumstances offhand, but I'm pretty sure all the players can do it, rather than a particular class.

Yeah, that sounds right. I guess I just mean that all the aspect-themed power enablers we've seen serve a purpose and aren't just Miracle Water. Access to aspect powers actually seems really pretty limited pre-God Tier, with characters generally only using them with a focus, in times of great duress, or unwittingly, sometimes a combination of the latter two. I think Terezi is the only exception to those.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Am I the only one who isn't really looking forward to more Dirk? I know he's one of the new main characters and all, but I really, really don't want to see more of him, or any of his clones and whatnot.

You're nuts, Dirk owns.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Roland Jones posted:

I am looking forward to more Dirk, not so much more "Autoresponder answers every chat instead of Dirk".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The way we're zooming into LOTAK suggests we're about to catch a glimpse of Equirk. Or whoever Dirk's sprite is. Oh, and Dirk too, whom we haven't seen yet this act. My fond hope is that for Christmas we'll get to see him showing why fncysntakind is the deadliest kind of all.

Dolash posted:

What I'm really curious about is whether the Condesce ordered the Droll to deliver that ring because she intended Roxy to escape so that she can incidentally/accidentally carry out the mission the Condesce gave her, or whether the Dignitary gave the order because he wants to prevent the Condesce from getting Roxy to fulfill that mission.

If it'd been the Condesce, the stuff would've been waiting there for her with or in the folder, and she wouldn't have delivered it specifically by means of the Courtyard Droll. For her, any old Dersite guard would do the trick, since she knows Roxy couldn't see them and wouldn't know any of them from Adam if she could. Only DD seems to realize that of all the erstwhile Midnight Crew members, CD is the only one who always, always completes his mission (though often his superiors come to wish he hadn't).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Android Blues posted:

Terezi's focus is acting out lovely courtroom dramas where she is the hero.

Bongo Bill posted:

The way we're zooming into LOTAK suggests we're about to catch a glimpse of Equirk. Or whoever Dirk's sprite is. Oh, and Dirk too, whom we haven't seen yet this act. My fond hope is that for Christmas we'll get to see him showing why fncysntakind is the deadliest kind of all.

Personally I was hoping we might get something resembling Gristmas, at least by 13-1-5, what with all the sweet weaponised loot our nobles have been ordered to create.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 23, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And now, your regular tumblr-is-stupid reminder:

Tumblr is convinced Dirk is depressed about the breakup with Jake, is standing on the edge of his roof, and is about to jump.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bobulus posted:

Tumblr is convinced Dirk is depressed about the breakup with Jake, is standing on the edge of his roof, and is about to jump.

To be fair we're still missing the "Hey, forum, I'm going to kill myself! Talk me out of it" type internet people.

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.

Popo posted:

To be fair we're still missing the "Hey, forum, I'm going to kill myself! Talk me out of it" type internet people.

quote:

CRONUS: vwelp.
CRONUS: i hosed up vwith her, probably beyond repair this time.
MITUNA: 4H4H4H4HH44H4H [#L4UUGUH #L4GUHG #LUCH4HGH #4LU4GH #LU4HGGUH4]
CRONUS: guess ill attempt ghost suicide YET AGAIN.
CRONUS: of course by vwhich i mean, tell people i did, to vwin sympathy points.
MITUNA: D0357H H47 W0RK
CRONUS: not really.
MITUNA: WHY D0NK Y0U 7RY 17
CRONUS: vwhat... vwith you?
MITUNA: Y37H
CRONUS: vwell, this is clearly absurd, but nyeh, vwhat the heck.
CRONUS: mituna, i just cant take it anymore. i think my ghost is going to kill itself.
MITUNA: WH0W4H L375 gently caress!!!!!
CRONUS: vwait...
CRONUS: really?
MITUNA: N0 0Y0 P135H3 0FF 1ND107 FUGG1NG G4R84G3 [#FUCKY0UFUCKY0UFUCKY0UFUCKY0UFUCKY0U]
CRONUS: oh.
Cronus is there for all your terrible internet people needs!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bobulus posted:

Tumblr is convinced Dirk is [...] about to jump.

Hmm. "Clarence" has eight letters and starts with a C... another Cherub incoming???

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Oh damnit. I don't even use Tumblr and thought the same thing. Mostly because I think you can see him on the right most corner of the panel. That and he seems extremely clingy. But also he has jumped off a building before and lived (as seen in a flash).

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

IUG posted:

Oh damnit. I don't even use Tumblr and thought the same thing. Mostly because I think you can see him on the right most corner of the panel. That and he seems extremely clingy. But also he has jumped off a building before and lived (as seen in a flash).

It's sort of a Strider tradition to use the roof as a meditation zone/arena. Maybe he is just thinking over his recent actions? Maybe waiting for a suitable sparring partner?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Didn't they also think that Jane was committing suicide when she SADJUMPed to her house?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Considering he's lived all his life relatively alone in the middle of the ocean in a world run by Fish Hitler, I think if Dirk was the kind of person to commit suicide, he would have done it already.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't think he'd be committing suicide. Just that he'd jump off the building, since that seems to be a Thing He Does, thanks to that one act flash.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If past actions are any precedent, Dirk standing on the edge of the room means he's sleeping. Probably getting all sorts of intel that he won't bother to share with anyone else, because he's kind of a control freak.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

If past actions are any precedent, Dirk standing on the edge of the room means he's sleeping.
For a second I couldn't jive this with your second sentence and wondered if there was some exposition about ironic rapping roof ninjas I missed that established they can only sleep perched on great heights like dorky pigeons or something.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Bobulus posted:

If past actions are any precedent, Dirk standing on the edge of the room means he's sleeping. Probably getting all sorts of intel that he won't bother to share with anyone else, because he's kind of a control freak.

Except he's down to one life now. Technically he already committed suicide. :v:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I thought you needed to have your dream self intact to go God Tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mystic Mongol posted:

I thought you needed to have your dream self intact to go God Tier.

Not for the quest slabs in the center of prospit and derse. That's how Dave and Rose went god tier, though the required parameters were never clear until now.