Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

E: I posted in the ID thread too but I got my WiiU setup, you can add Louisgod to your list.

Will you ban me on the forums if I sent you a penis on the WiiU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

horriblePencilist posted:

I just saw the Wii file transfer animation, and it's the best thing. <3 u Nintendo.

This is a quote from a month back, and I only bring it up now to say, "drat, that's good!" I sat there for 11 minutes, transfixed, watching SOMEONE ELSE'S files transfer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

Will you ban me on the forums if I sent you a penis on the WiiU?

I sent goatse to people on my 3DS so have at it!

Also duuuuurh I meant to write EXTERNAL HDD, can't install on an external, right?

Apollo Bob
Feb 3, 2006

I heard the grafix was crazy.

Louisgod posted:

I sent goatse to people on my 3DS so have at it!

Also duuuuurh I meant to write EXTERNAL HDD, can't install on an external, right?

From the Mighty Mouth of Mario's Minders:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_external_storage.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage

External USB connected hard drives support Wii U software (the device will be formatted for the WiiU and will not work with anything else unless reformatted).

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Why would you even attach an external hard drive, if not for games?

Edit: oh unless you mean installing games from disc, then no, you can't do that to internal or external.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 24, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have all of my downloaded games installed on external hard drive. New Super Mario Bros. U, Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo, Little Inferno, and the one where you switch blocks.

You can't install disc games, hopefully they add this feature in the future.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

I have all of my downloaded games installed on external hard drive. New Super Mario Bros. U, Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo, Little Inferno, and the one where you switch blocks.

You can't install disc games, hopefully they add this feature in the future.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks. It obviously makes sense that you can't install from disc. As for it formatting the external drive, will it allow you to format a specific partition? I don't need to dedicate all 500 GB to the WiiU.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Digital Jesus posted:

Why would you even attach an external hard drive, if not for games?

This isn't a knock against Louisgod, but it was "common knowledge" before the Wii U was released that you were going to have to do some backwards rear end transferring between an external and wii u internal hard drive space to play downloaded games.

It never made sense and I don't know who started the rumor or why it was accepted, but a lot of people still think it's a thing.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 24, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For like 2 years we've known irrefutably from Nintendo's own web page that you'd be able to download games and run them from basically any USB 2.0 storage device (and that the Wii U had four ports to choose from), but it didn't stop people from constantly saying otherwise about every fact. I mean I know Nintendo's bad at these things but they've been saying it since forever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

That's what I wanted to know, thanks. It obviously makes sense that you can't install from disc. As for it formatting the external drive, will it allow you to format a specific partition? I don't need to dedicate all 500 GB to the WiiU.

Well PS3 and 360 can both install discs to the drive. It still requires the disc to play, but saves using the disc drive to load, so it runs more quietly and extends the life of the drive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo add this functionality at some point.

By the way, games download and install to the drive by default; I'm not sure if you can change that. As for partitioning, the WiiU doesn't give any options for it but I think you can partition it on your pc before you install it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Chronojam posted:

For like 2 years we've known irrefutably from Nintendo's own web page that you'd be able to download games and run them from basically any USB 2.0 storage device (and that the Wii U had four ports to choose from), but it didn't stop people from constantly saying otherwise about every fact. I mean I know Nintendo's bad at these things but they've been saying it since forever.

Yes but remember, Nintendo. You assume the worst and go from there. Again, I knew the answer but wanted a final confirmation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

greatn posted:

but I think you can partition it on your pc before you install it.

Yeah, it'll probably just look at the first one like the Wii (homebrew) did. You can rearrange them if needed in Windows by hitting Computer Management > Disk Management and reshuffling drive letters.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

Well PS3 and 360 can both install discs to the drive. It still requires the disc to play, but saves using the disc drive to load, so it runs more quietly and extends the life of the drive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo add this functionality at some point.

By the way, games download and install to the drive by default; I'm not sure if you can change that. As for partitioning, the WiiU doesn't give any options for it but I think you can partition it on your pc before you install it.

I mostly meant it makes sense that you can't install games and then get rid of the disc; adding the functionality later to install to a hard drive to reduce load times would be nice.

As for the partition, I was mostly curious if it would ask which one you'd like to format as opposed to the whole drive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

greatn posted:

PS3 can't, actually. It's the same deal as Wii U where you can download full games and run them off the harddrive, but you can't install the full game. The install the PS3 does is usually to cut load times since it uses a 2x Blu Ray drive, and it's mandatory for quite a few games.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Just want everyone to know that Little Inferno is amazing. Not that I would know because the second my wife saw me playing she hijacked the game and has been playing non-stop trying to get all the combos. She hates video games and is usually really terrible anyway but this is the right kind of poo poo.

It helps that it was free. Maybe I'll get to play it someday.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How do you calibrate the analog STICKS on the Classic Controller Pro?
If someone was holding a direction when the game starts, the center is off. We have to close the game completely and re-start it. I've had this happen way too much.

I tried holding ABYX+LR, or ABYX+start/select. Nothing re-centered the sticks. Is it even possible?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just un- and replug it from the Wiimote.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

xwonderboyx posted:

Just want everyone to know that Little Inferno is amazing. Not that I would know because the second my wife saw me playing she hijacked the game and has been playing non-stop trying to get all the combos. She hates video games and is usually really terrible anyway but this is the right kind of poo poo.

It helps that it was free. Maybe I'll get to play it someday.

Yeah, I finally got around to starting (and finishing) it yesterday. Very interesting experience and a fair bit more fun than one might expect based on the premise.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of, would you also get $1.50 back for the purchase of Trine 2 too?

Before you can use the credit you earn, you have to accumulate $5 worth.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Before you can use the credit you earn, you have to accumulate $5 worth.

Sure, but I meant wouldn't he accumulate an extra $1.50 from that purchase too along with using the $5 credit toward it?

Also, does the Gamepad have issues with range when walls separate it? I move into my kitchen with the pad and it loses connection. Normal? Interference by something other than the wall maybe?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Louisgod posted:

Sure, but I meant wouldn't he accumulate an extra $1.50 from that purchase too along with using the $5 credit toward it?

Yeah, he just won't be able to spent it until he's spent more on the eShop.

Louisgod posted:

Also, does the Gamepad have issues with range when walls separate it? I move into my kitchen with the pad and it loses connection. Normal? Interference by something other than the wall maybe?

Yes, it's meant to be played in the same room but depending on what the walls are made of it might extend further. With zero barriers or interference it can go up to eight metres.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Louisgod posted:

That's pretty normal, the range isn't great to begin with, and walls/other obstacles make it worse.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Cool, thanks for the answers. I've read of people playing while making GBS threads and figured it had decent range. GUESS NOT.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I hope I get lucky with that, because of room layouts the toilet's just a wall away from the TV.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Louisgod posted:

Cool, thanks for the answers. I've read of people playing while making GBS threads and figured it had decent range. GUESS NOT.

I'm pretty sure it actually does. I mean I can go all over my basement with it. Of course, that's one big room. I can't take it upstairs.

If you live in someplace like California where the houses are made of chicken wire and hope, or Japan where everything inside is paper if movies are right, the range is likely to be good.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Chronojam posted:

I hope I get lucky with that, because of room layouts the toilet's just a wall away from the TV.

Works well enough for me and my TV is on the opposite wall, maybe 20-ish feet away?

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
I have reclined in bed playing NSMBU and doodling messages after clearing levels, so it really depends on your living space. My Wii U is on the opposite side of the wall, in my living room.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Louisgod posted:

It really is based on whats between you and the system. I can sit on the shitter and play with plenty of walls between us and it works fine but I move one room over to the master bedroom with only one extra wall and maybe 8ish feet and it doesn't work anymore.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

It really is based on whats between you and the system. I can sit on the shitter and play with plenty of walls between us and it works fine but I move one room over to the master bedroom with only one extra wall and maybe 8ish feet and it doesn't work anymore.

Yep, it's all in the walls. My walls have some kind of magic anti-technology signal, it'll work in my bathroom because it's only a few feet away but the second I step out of my room it dies.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Installing the update now, should only take an hour more. Really excited to play some Nintendoland, judging by everything you guys have said.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yep, it's all in the walls. My walls have some kind of magic anti-technology signal, it'll work in my bathroom because it's only a few feet away but the second I step out of my room it dies.

I set it up in my basement because that's the best place for it (our den sucks) and I have long known the basement sucks all technology out of the air. I can't even answer my cell phone down there.

If I had friends over EVER AT ALL the basement is the place, though, with its enormous couch and all the consoles.

You win some, you lose some.

My house was built in 1971/72 for reference.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
My NNID is Hughesta. I only have Nintendoland right now, but you can add me if you'd like!

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011
Oh my god Little Inferno.

Got it yesterday, just to check if i can use my Israeli credit card with the european E-shop (yes, i can). started playing it earlier, saying to myself, "well, I'll play 20 minutes to see what's the buzz all about". And here i am, two hours and dozens of burned toys later, wondering how it gotten so late.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The past week I've been running into an issue with my Wii U I can't quite figure out. About a week ago, I bought a LAN adapter and plugged it in, then tried turning my console on only to find the red power light blinking. After unplugging the console for a few minutes and unplugging the LAN adapter, it eventually turned on. I plugged in the adapter while the console was running and had no issue. Cut to today, when I tried turning it on again, with the should-be-now-functioning adapter plugged in, and I got the same blinking red light. Repeating the same process of unplugging and removing the adapter fixed it. So, a few questions. Has this happened to anyone else? What might be causing this? Should I alert nintendo and send my console in?

Edit: I should mention that the LAN adapter is the official Nintendo one.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Thought I could beat the rush, so opened our Wii U early. I was wrong, it's been an hour and the update is not even 50% downloaded yet. :negative:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I just played the Rayman Legends Demo... by myself.

I can understand why people will cry on Murphy in Single Player, but I haven't had a problem with using him so far. The AI on the non-Murphy guy is also quite good: It won't do many mistakes, so if the AI-controlled character dies, it's likely your fault. It did annoy me a couple of times, but I got most of the Teensies anyways so I figure I'll get the hang of it after some practice.

The rhythm level (Castle Rock) is what sold me on the game however. It took a couple of tries, but now I can get most of the lums in Solo Play. It was really exciting just throwing reason out of the window and just run like mad! I really want to try it with a friend now (with Murphy) and see how it goes.

If you're on the fence about Rayman Legends, get the demo. A couple of plays should let you know if the game is something for you.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

bradzilla posted:

Thought I could beat the rush, so opened our Wii U early. I was wrong, it's been an hour and the update is not even 50% downloaded yet. :negative:

Yeah takes about 2 hours.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

bradzilla posted:

I got through that by playing Nintendoland and Mario in the meantime. It will DL in the background. Did take 2-3 hours though

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
ZombiU is just breaking me down mentally. The noises my current survivor makes when it's too quiet...ugh.

I have never been so happy to see a save spot as I was upon finding the bed outside the palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

TheQat posted:

I got through that by playing Nintendoland and Mario in the meantime. It will DL in the background. Did take 2-3 hours though

My birthday coincided with the PAL release date and also my internet sucked (it sucks no more). As a result... four and a half loving hours. Later I saw some guy all, "Yeah I got it downloaded in forty minutes" and my reaction was :commissar:. Guy was lucky we don't have the technology to bitch slap through a computer screen yet.

At any rate, good luck! We both chose lovely dates to try to set up.

• Locked thread