Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ATCATT. All the cheer all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVKVaCDf3yQ

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like the packing tape on the mirrors, presumably to make them look like reindeer horns.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I heard you guys like welds! So I got more pics of welds!

Welding welding welding welding :supaburn:

Welding welding welding :supaburn:

Welded :tinfoil:

Welded :tinfoil:

Welds :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Welding welding welding welding :supaburn:

What the

ZOOM

ENHANCE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Welds :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Lol cmon son, quit trollin. I dont believe that one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nah, they're fine welds.

For a clown to make.

In the circus.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The contrast in workmanship of the pipe bending and welding is huge. Maybe they are strong, I'm not an expert, but I'd want to test his work before riding that thing.

The "Is-It-poo poo" test, for example. Butt weld two straight sections of pipe. Mount and bend until yield. If it's poo poo, you'll know.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
I know nothing about sidecar racing but wouldn't you want the angle between the sidecar and bike to be adjustable for different setups/tracks? Or does it not work like that?

I do dig the home-brew leading link front suspension tho.

edit: is the motor removable without some frame cutting?

obso fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 24, 2012

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At least they somewhat fixed that gooseneck. And I can't talk too much poo poo on those welds, as mine are just as bad.

Mine aren't helping stop a 400 lb. bike, though, they're holding a 15 lb. camera setup.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
400? They'll be near 1000 with bike and pilots I bet. Maybe 9.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The dynamic load is gonna be huge. F=MA and all that.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Few pics from the last few days.

Parked at Wivenhoe Dam, QLD, Australia.

ZZR is mine, Trumpy is a British guys that lives in Brisbane.

Very nice bike, it's a Street Triple R if anyone was unsure. Very tiny, and apparently comfortable for a pillion. (His GF was with him).

I've posted a picture or two of the next bike previously - but they were crappy cellphone pics and the bike wasn't done then.

1972 (I think, from memory) Triumph Thunderbird - rebuilt from the ground up.

Bonus pic of another local I see around a fair bit that I finally got a chance to chat today cruising off on his Bonneville with his partner on the back. Yes, they're crutches tucked into the back - he shattered his leg in an accident a year or two ago and still needs them for walking (although he doesn't need them too much). He was still riding when his leg was in one of those metal braces that have rods poking into your leg from every direction. Had to get a step-through scooter for that time period though as he couldn't lift his leg/change gears.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

obso posted:

I know nothing about sidecar racing but wouldn't you want the angle between the sidecar and bike to be adjustable for different setups/tracks? Or does it not work like that?

I do dig the home-brew leading link front suspension tho.

edit: is the motor removable without some frame cutting?
Word on the street is you want the entire frame rigidly welded. You don't want any movement in the frame. We only run on one track anyway, so that's not an issue. The backbone of the frame is bolted on and removable so the engine will lift straight out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEK9wAJFOXg

Amazing to see that Russian bikers even bother given the stuff I've seen in dashcam vids but apparently their defence mechanism is to pay even less attention and go even more inappropriately fast than their four-wheeled compatriots.

Also loads of layer dans and even a couple of "front brake = death" in this lot.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
as great as a bridge to Russia would be for road trip potential, the worst part of the trip would be having to drive through Russia. 'Tundra tundra nothing nothing nothing nothing cities OH gently caress EVERYONE HERE IS CRAZY oh finally west Europe' is what I imagine.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I just envision Russia as a wasteland of twisted metal, the only sound in the frozen air the screech of brakes

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I wish I had seen this picture a year and a half ago. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to strap crutches onto my bike.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That Russia vid. :eek: Seriously who would want to ride a motorcycle in traffic over there. drat.

Content: What Rev's side car is gonna end up looking like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Theres been lots of flooding in the UK, lots of travel disruption as well - its all over the news here. Just came across this on the BBC news website:

Rehosted on imgur

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That ought to be a KTM ad!

I recently bought a camera flash, it's fun freezing dirtbike moments

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Silver posted:

What Rev's side car is gonna end up looking like.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thank you Jim, just, so much, for bringing this into my life.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

http://www.thevelvetstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=vs02&Category_Code=02

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Thanks Jim for reminding me about old Easy Rider art

possibly NWS http://i.imgur.com/qMEpj.jpg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Thank you Jim, just, so much, for bringing this into my life.

:staredog: That is amazing!! Is that a print out or did you actually have the velvet paint dude do it?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just realized he's doing a wheelie on the moon with the moon in the background.

More Dave Mann

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEK9wAJFOXg

Amazing to see that Russian bikers even bother given the stuff I've seen in dashcam vids but apparently their defence mechanism is to pay even less attention and go even more inappropriately fast than their four-wheeled compatriots.

Also loads of layer dans and even a couple of "front brake = death" in this lot.

Although I am not Russian nor in Russia, I feel concerned riding a motorcycle after watching this. Also it might snow tomorrow, so that also makes me not wanna ride around for now. Seriously, this video gives me chills.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha this is totally freedum.bmp

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Socratse posted:

Although I am not Russian nor in Russia, I feel concerned riding a motorcycle after watching this. Also it might snow tomorrow, so that also makes me not wanna ride around for now. Seriously, this video gives me chills.

Most of the crashes in this video are riders riding like dongs -- going too fast, passing (what would be in the States) illegally, and just not being careful. Most of the crashes could have been avoided by slowing down and maintaining awareness.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Safety Dance posted:

Most of the crashes in this video are riders riding like dongs -- going too fast, passing (what would be in the States) illegally, and just not being careful. Most of the crashes could have been avoided by slowing down and maintaining awareness.

Or not making GBS threads your pants and grabbing the brakes as hard as you can, which a lot of them seem to do.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Yeah, there were a ton of front wheel lock ups caused by over enthusiastic breaking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A number of them aren't in russia at all :colbert:

Makes me reconsider ever visiting my birthland. Also, the guy with the electric laydown bicycle thing :wtc:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Spotted near the airport:

From reddit

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Holy poo poo wouldn't those wheels melt in less than a mile?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That is such a brilliant idea, even if you have to change those wheels for some tiny rubber ones, or rig up some wheels and axle like on a trolley.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Hell, make it a permanent attachment as a wheelie bar!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

a good suitcase will have ball bearings and inline skate wheels.
It still won't have suspension though, so that road better be loving smooth.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:mario:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I remember hearing about this ages ago, and then I forgot all about it until it came up in my RSS feeds today.

The Musket 998 v-twin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Y2BuZ9TBc
A new v-twin crank case designed for Royal Enfield 500cc heads with the greatest Enfield parts compatibility possible. Yes he's going to be selling them...

More at the kneeslider...
Official Blog

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 28, 2012