Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but is Amazon going to beat the current Steam price for Chivalry any time soon? ($38/4)

e: plz say no because I bought it already

I didn't spot an answer to this but also curious about it. Currently $12.49 for 1 or $37.49 for the 4 pack (~$9.37 per) on the Steam Daily Deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Tony is there going to be a really good deal on Dishonored? I want to get it but I'm poor and Gaben only lowered it to $30.

Gimbal_Machine
May 11, 2005
Bite me euler angles.
I like how as a parent doing gifts from santa, I have my only little Christmas Santa in Tony ;)

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Hey Tony, is there any chance that King's Bounty: Warriors of the North might get a sale? Amazon still has it at full price. On Steam it's $20 right now, but I'm expecting it to drop to $15 at some point given that it's been that low on Steam before.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

BIFF! posted:

It took me like 12 times reading this to figure out what you meant. Do you mean put a timer on each game's page to show when its sale will end?

I can confirm this is what I meant.

Or simple just a written date, not necessarily a timer.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Question about how the deals work: What time do deals roll-over? For example; Dark Souls says it's on sale 12/23-12/25. Does that mean it'll be on sale all day on the 25th, or that it changes over on that day? And what time do deals change over?

I'm pretty much set on getting Dark Souls, but since I've had it on my wishlist for months I want to be sure I won't already be receiving it for X-mas. Any information is appreciated, and let me also echo the praise for Tony and these insane deals!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, I want to know that too. Been vaguely interested in Dark Souls, but I definitely don't think i'll get a chance to buy it tomorrow.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I echo the preceding two posts.

Could it be it'll be even cheaper on Christmas day during your super sale day? ;)

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Sales run all day on the end date until like 12AM PST (it might be 1AM PST, not 100% sure but I know it is definitely late at night). Either way it means Dark Souls will be on sale all day on 12/25 too.

edit: Also they do not typically beat their own price in the same sale, to avoid all the "but I just bought this yesterday for $15.00 and now it is 14.50!!!"
Amazon has pretty damned good support though so if that happens you can contact them and chances are they would credit you the difference.

Their January Editor's Choice sale will be considered completely different though, and Dark Souls actually is an Editor's choice game that will be eligible for the $5 coupon. Who knows if it would end up less than $15 though, $15 is already a really amazing price for Dark Souls considering it rarely goes on sale for PC.

I'd say buy it now, then if you get it for Xmas, send that key/copy to a friend instead to spread the joy* of Dark Souls

*painful frustation

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 24, 2012

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

sector_corrector posted:

Any word about a Borderlands 2 deal? I think my price point would probably be 20 dollars.

If it goes on sale again for 50% off on Steam, a US 4 pack is $22.50 per person, a UK 4 pack is $18.30 per person.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Kharmakazy posted:

Now someone tell me what a backfill is...

Wondering the same thing. It sounds like something I should sign up for in order to beat some sort of rush.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hey Tony.

When you guys restock your Anno 1404 Gold keys, you should pester Ubisoft about getting some Steam key versions. I doubt they'll do it, but hell it's free for them to get you Steam keys, and you've managed it in the past. You'd be the only way to get Anno 1404 on Steam, and I imagine you'd get a few sales off that.

Also you guys really need to redo your UI for the games section. I get that you have to compete with not only the other Amazon guys, but also the other consoles, but as is, to even try to figure out whats on sale, I have to go to games > sales > ignore console games, then go over a few pages. And if something is a daily deal, well I'm hosed and won't know about it. Compared to Steam which is just "Open Tab - These are the important things" "Open Wishlist - These are what I want to watch out for." it could use a bit of help. When most of my information is coming from you posting here/people posting in the Steam thread to go check out Amazon, something is wrong.

Also out of personal curiosity, do you work at one of the Lake Union locations here in Seattle? You Amazon guys never look both ways when crossing the streets during lunch breaks. This should be added to the list of "Amazon War Crimes"! :argh:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rookersh posted:

Hey Tony.

When you guys restock your Anno 1404 Gold keys, you should pester Ubisoft about getting some Steam key versions. I doubt they'll do it, but hell it's free for them to get you Steam keys, and you've managed it in the past. You'd be the only way to get Anno 1404 on Steam, and I imagine you'd get a few sales off that.

Also you guys really need to redo your UI for the games section. I get that you have to compete with not only the other Amazon guys, but also the other consoles, but as is, to even try to figure out whats on sale, I have to go to games > sales > ignore console games, then go over a few pages. And if something is a daily deal, well I'm hosed and won't know about it. Compared to Steam which is just "Open Tab - These are the important things" "Open Wishlist - These are what I want to watch out for." it could use a bit of help. When most of my information is coming from you posting here/people posting in the Steam thread to go check out Amazon, something is wrong.

I would also buy 1404 for Steam.

I'm not sure how you get to the games but you don't see this if you go to Shop by Department > Digital Games and Software? The big image changes for each weekly sale and takes you to it. The Game Downloads (For PC and MAC)link takes you to the main page for Digital Downloads.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A backfill is exactly what it sounds like. In this case it means that he's basically replenishing particular items that have been sold.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
When do sales rollover? I'm itching to get Scribblenauts.

VireDesi
Feb 1, 2007

Resdfru posted:

This, just wanted to contribute that there's people out there who would jump on that.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

Repelex posted:

When do sales rollover? I'm itching to get Scribblenauts.
Pretty sure it's midnight PST (GMT -8).

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Oh, PST... damned. Well, I'll probably still be awake anyway. If I'm not, it should still be available tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the big deals besides Scribblenauts. :unsmith:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Welp guess I'll just BE AWAKE for another two hours for Scribblenauts and Lego LOTR. :smith:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Oh man, I got that on Steam like 2ish? years ago, back whenever it was still available. Last sale that it was actually in before it disappeared forever. I've felt so incredibly lucky since then that I actually managed to grab it. Unfortunately now it always sits in the back of my mind when I see a game on sale and think 'I can get it next time... or can I?'

But yeah, if Tony could manage to find Steam keys for that, and also get an discount on Steam Amalur keys he would have to be upgraded from Santa to a minor deity.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The best Christmas present would be the return of Neverwinter Nights 2 to digital distribution. :negative:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im pretty sure Anno 1404 got pulled by Valve because the steam version was broken for some reason and Ubi didnt fix it.

Phizzle
Aug 12, 2004
heh heh BONERS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The best Christmas present would be the return of Neverwinter Nights 2 to digital distribution. :negative:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DDNWNC/dungeons-and-dragons-neverwinter-nights-complete

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

!!! WILL NOT WORK ON 64-BIT OS !!!

What?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

They want me to rebuy the first game?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

KoB posted:

Im pretty sure Anno 1404 got pulled by Valve because the steam version was broken for some reason and Ubi didnt fix it.

It's not entirely broken. It's completely playable, for many hours. The version Ubi gave steam had a bug in it where it could corrupt your save at random. Like, say, after putting 50 or 60 hours into it. :shepicide: But there is a patch for it, and it is possible to get it working with the Steam version, it just takes some fiddling to get it to apply. Nothing that any normal PC gamer isn't used to dealing with. For whatever idiotic reason, Ubi never wanted to give that patch to Steam, so the game remains unable to be purchased on Steam after all this time. Why couldn't they be the publisher going bankrupt instead of THQ?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there something time sensitive about whatever this new deal is that would encourage staying up to find out what it is? What is it, 30 mins? Hour and a half? I don't know how to time.

Phizzle
Aug 12, 2004
heh heh BONERS

DannyTanner posted:

!!! WILL NOT WORK ON 64-BIT OS !!!

What?

The one I installed from discs works fine :shrug:

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there something time sensitive about whatever this new deal is that would encourage staying up to find out what it is? What is it, 30 mins? Hour and a half? I don't know how to time.

12am PST is 3am EST. It goes Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern. At least for the continental US. And there's really no need to get it as soon as it goes on sale except for the fact that Scribblenauts is awesome.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fidel Castronaut posted:

12am PST is 3am EST. It goes Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern. At least for the continental US. And there's really no need to get it as soon as it goes on sale except for the fact that Scribblenauts is awesome.

Wait, I thought we still didn't know what the deal was. It's scribblenauts that tony says is going to be a big deal today?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kharmakazy posted:

Wait, I thought we still didn't know what the deal was. It's scribblenauts that tony says is going to be a big deal today?

They're separate things, both happening at midnight.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

...! posted:

A backfill is exactly what it sounds like. In this case it means that he's basically replenishing particular items that have been sold.

Thanks for the attempt to explain here, you're off in this case though. Not your fault, that's what I get for defaulting to internal Amazon speak by accident.

In this case a backfill means that, on 12/24, we will be giving customers who purchased specific things in 2012 something cool, backfill means that I'm going to tell our systems to give the things to people who purchased before 12/24.

Here's the flow:

1. You buy a game from X publisher on 12/24 (I'll tell you which publishers X represents shortly).
2. Customer gets an email letting them know that, because they purchased something from X publisher IN 2012 they get $Y off any game from X publisher, on 12/25 only (or in one publisher's case 12/26-12/31).

What the backfill means is that I have to tell our systems to give the credit to and email everyone who purchased from X publisher between 1/1/2012 and 12/23/2012.

I'm slammed getting this thing set up right now guys (it was kind of last minute thing I've been kicking around in my head for a while) but I'll give you full details once I've kicked the tires at midnight and can confirm everything is working. In the meantime, if you see someone post "ZOMG THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER" and you realize you fall into the category of people who should have gotten an email, don't freak out. I'm working on it.

PunkAssBookJockey
Mar 25, 2007

Will there be an opportunity to buy Civ V and Gods and Kings on the cheap without all that other stuff?

Edit:
I found this but the price is all weird. It's listed at 25 and 15 separately, but like 80 dollars together.

http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-GOTY-Gods-Kings-Download/dp/B00A9XQ886/ref=pd_sim_vg_29

PunkAssBookJockey fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 24, 2012

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Any chances that NBA2K13 has a sale? I can never find it under 30 bucks.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

50% 12/25.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/15c0qj/steam_holiday_sale_day_4/c7l7bor

EDIT: ^^^^^^ drat youre fast

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 24, 2012

DoctorJon
Sep 16, 2009
I'd love to see the Divinity Anthology for better than 33% off, I'd buy that in a heartbeat because apparently I missed the steam flash sale for it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are any Shogun 2 DLC going to be 75% off?

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

AmazonTony posted:

50% 12/25.

Thanks! Totally gonna shoot some e-hoops on x-mas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
drat, I'm going to have to force myself to bed since I work tomorrow. I hope that the deals last the whole day, because I'm really excited to see what they are. :ohdear:

• Locked thread