Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selane
May 19, 2006

doomisland posted:

There was some english news in korea doing a segment on Crayon Pop. The reported was there when they woke up/waked them up and their managed had them go to a convenience store to buy food. So they get convenience store food and then come back and the manager goes through and takes out all the "bad" food. My thought on that is if you care about what they're eating either teach them to cook or have that poo poo stocked in their apartment. It all fits into them being thought of as only products I guess. Also its pretty easy to play "spot the idol close to passing out" on any of the shows.

The saddest part was when he asked them what they would do if they had a day off. Before even hearing the response, I easily(and correctly) predicted that the only answers given would be 'eat until I'm not hungry' and 'sleep until I'm not tired'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I will miss you http://www.allkpop.com/2012/12/mbc-will-not-be-extending-i-miss-you

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

gently caress me.

"Girls' Generation" was a fine name back when the girls were, you know, girls. But maybe they should change their name to "Bomb-rear end Ladies' Generation" or something now.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah the SNSD teasers for the comeback are all pretty much all outlandish, with the exception of Jessica and Seohyun. Jessica has always been pretty drat hot, but I would have never used those words to describe Seohyun. I had no idea she had it in her. That is probably the most revealing we've ever seen of her. God drat. :stare:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So the first image from everyone else's teaser is out for anyone who didn't see it. Honestly I think the started the show with a show stopper, but that doesn't preclude me going daaaaaaaamn at everyone else. Except poor Taeyeon, that hilarious Sunny wig returns.

Soshified has Higher Quality pics that haven't been weirdly cropped. http://soshified.com/2012/12/girls-generation-reveals-new-teaser-images-for-i-got-a-boy

Cassa fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 22, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good lord, who in the company saw the Taeyeon pic and said to themselves, "Yes, that's perfect!"

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
The Sunny one is pretty awful too.

But the rest are amazing good lord.
This is genuinely the first time i have seen a picture of HyoYeon and actually though "drat shes fine".

Rinseh fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 22, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well at least Yoona makes up for any missteps by her two silly Unnies. :P

I will never again laugh when I see her listed as SNSD's Visual.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 22, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh hey, they released more stuff and look here's Jessica's other teas-:stare:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Oh dear lord :staredog:
I think I love this album

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rinseh posted:

The Sunny one is pretty awful too.

If I didn't already know it was Sunny in that picture, I would never have guessed.

She looks nothing like herself - if you know what I mean.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You can tell it's Sunny because her hat tells you. That's the only way I was able to figure it out when I first saw it.

I can't wait for them to comeback with a concept like GWAR or something, where you just can't recognize any of them under giant monster costumes and need to rely on nametags to tell you who's who.

GWAR's Generation

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Guys, I'm extending the fig leaf. Download kakaotalk if you have any android or I phone and send me your name and come chill with the Korea goons.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

They're looking like 2ne1, and that's totally fine with me. Seohyun is mind blowing.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

nullscan posted:

Guys, I'm extending the fig leaf. Download kakaotalk if you have any android or I phone and send me your name and come chill with the Korea goons.

I'd be down, my name is ZaphTron on there.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

I can feel myself being culture technology-ed.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I can't say I like the concept so much, but the girls themselves...:drat:

doomisland posted:

There was some english news in korea doing a segment on Crayon Pop. The reported was there when they woke up/waked them up and their managed had them go to a convenience store to buy food. So they get convenience store food and then come back and the manager goes through and takes out all the "bad" food. My thought on that is if you care about what they're eating either teach them to cook or have that poo poo stocked in their apartment. It all fits into them being thought of as only products I guess. Also its pretty easy to play "spot the idol close to passing out" on any of the shows.

Just on this, are unions a thing in Korea? You always hear of poor working conditions for idols like this, so I'm curious to know if there's been any movements towards unionism for entertainers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're legal but heavily discouraged. I think. There are occasional strikes but I'm not sure if they're union things, I've heard conflicting information about whether they're legal or quasi-legal or illegal but nobody stops them or what. Anyway if kpop girls tried to do it they'd just get shitcanned and replaced, there are plenty of other girls who want free plastic surgery.

The new thing I saw recently is the three paper cup diet, where kpop girls are allowed three paper cups of food a day. Dixie cups, we're talking about here.

It's not just in that industry, Korean flight attendants have their food controlled too since they're all women hired on looks. I know they're not allowed to eat rice but not sure what else.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I really don't get this whole idea of starving the people doing intensive physical activity for eighteen hours a day. Especially when their ability to sustain that level of activity is your bread and butter.

It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. Combined with South Korea's incredibly low obesity rates, it should be a non-issue.

Also, given that all the idols seem to live in company housing, why don't the companies simply buy a highrise, fill it with all their talent and put in a gymnasium, pool, spa and a cafeteria with menus designed by skilled dieticians. Hell, if you want to go the whole hog, put in a few plastic surgeons, too?

In one move you ensure that your talent are eating correctly and living healthy.

Of course, it might end up like the Olympic villages where the athletes stay. Everyone gets one room, one set of bedding, one set of towels, one set of cutlery. And about twenty condoms.

South Korean might not be ready for that quite yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The perception of what fat is is also totally hosed here. I've heard many, many times that if a girl is over 50 kg, she's automatically morbidly obese. Doesn't matter how tall she is or her body type, if you're over 50 kg you're a whale. And guys will just straight up tell girls they're too fat. I have one friend who is absolutely beautiful and not in any way fat by anyone's standards, but her body type is a little larger than what's considered normal Korean--she has breasts and a butt. So she starves herself and takes amphetamines and her friends tell her she's not just fat but an emergency and no man will ever love her. And there's no talking her out of it. It's really sad and a serious problem. Body image issues are bad enough in the west but here they're taken to the extreme. Girls don't exercise so they can avoid having muscles, there's plastic surgery to remove muscles in your legs to make them skinnier (I really hope the remove there is a mistranslation but I've been told about it by multiple people). I don't get it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Once again, I'll point to YG Entertainment as an example of who I feel does a good job of doing things the right way. They have their own in-house gym, along with personal trainer/dietician. The focus is more on eating right and exercise and education, rather than starving yourself.

Of course, this could all be an elaborate ploy to look good in front of the cameras. Behind closed doors YG could go "Alright, now that nobody's looking, let's stop pretending to do this carefully thought-out thing that makes perfect sense and actually works, and go back to forcing all our talent to binge and purge." while wringing his hands. But let us also remember that YG Entertainment is home to this talent:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Grand Fromage posted:

the three paper cup diet,

( ) something a company with income based on the health of their talent would think is a good idea
(x) something a teenage girl with self esteem and body issues would think of to explain why she's not like the girls she sees on tv

That of course doesn't mean there aren't terrible and exploitative businesses out there but even people with business senses as terrible as Kim Kwangsoo must realize that intense physical activity requires food. Things like the three cup diet and the 'some rice, two cherry tomatoes and five slices of cucumber per meal' thing just reek of something thought up by someone whose knowledge of diets doesn't go beyond "less food = better than" and so are most likely bullshit.

edit: it also doesn't mean idols aren't on strict diets, but the diets they're actually on probably make a good deal more sense than something that looks like it's constructed merely to shock internet people with.

reflir fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 23, 2012

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah I watched some documentary or news pieces focused on Korean idols and they have a heavy protein diet.

I lurk this thread often, I try to collect Korean shows for my family to watch:

I was wondering if anyone knew a good resource to directly download Star King episodes? My mom was a big fan of Strong Heart, and I think Star King is sort of in the same vein ("I am a good mother" episode was extremely touching).

I also wondering what ya'll's opinions on 1N2D and Kang Hodong is? I really enjoyed both.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
It's hard to ignore situations like this. Makes that early scene where she desperately tries to keep her fruit painful.

Rather than Star King I would watch Hello Councilor ,WinWin or Happy Together if you liked Strong Heart. Knee drop Guru is often mentioned as a superior choice to SH and it stars Kang Hodong.

I generally prefer Hodong's MCing and shows in comparison to YJS. He goes over the top a bit too often but he is able to transition to help his guests with ease.

I find Running Man hard to watch as the scripting and the competition aspects of the show really clash. 1N2D I can appreciate as standard variety.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Female idols being in a constant state of malnutrition and sleep deprivation is the industry standard. People don't routinely faint from exhaustion and require IVs without it. Fans should probably be sending their idols papers on modern dietary information rather than razorblades or whatever the kids do these days.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Thankfully (?) those strict diet regimens are only when they are performing/promoting. IE, the girls will starve meals before a performance, then pig out on fried chicken and dukbokgi and all that afterwards. The SNSD girls admitted that they're not always on their crazy lean diets.

Selane
May 19, 2006

TEHJOE posted:

It's hard to ignore situations like this. Makes that early scene where she desperately tries to keep her fruit painful.

Yeah Hyomin, lose some weight you loving fatty!

:rolleyes:

Archer2338 posted:

Thankfully (?) those strict diet regimens are only when they are performing/promoting. IE, the girls will starve meals before a performance, then pig out on fried chicken and dukbokgi and all that afterwards. The SNSD girls admitted that they're not always on their crazy lean diets.

That's still completely unhealthy.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
^^ Huh. Is that some concert performance? Or are the music programs letting them show some midriff nowadays?

Also, have any of you seen the "Like a First Time" soju ads? They were rated 19+ and yet the Korean government still asked to take the ads down because of concerns with selling sex+alcohol+idols.

I checked them out to see what the big deal was.
Round 1: what was the big deal?
Round 2/3: :staredog: (for Korea)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
And Hyorin had finally gotten enough views to get her 2nd video out too before they all got taken down.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Also, have any of you seen the "Like a First Time" soju ads? They were rated 19+ and yet the Korean government still asked to take the ads down because of concerns with selling sex+alcohol+idols.

I checked them out to see what the big deal was.
Round 1: what was the big deal?
Round 2/3: :staredog: (for Korea)

I still think it's funny that they picked Goo Hara for that. I mean, Hyuna and Hyorin I understand, I guess. But as much as I like Gooey I wouldn't exactly call her sexy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wait, Hyorin's the one who gargles glass isn't she?

I've only ever heard her talk on Running Man but she honestly sounds like she's been screaming at the top of her lungs and has worn it out.

I just went looking for the ads, the only places I found that weren't shady as gently caress had them hosted on youtube and they were all gone.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, Hyorin's the one who gargles glass isn't she?

I've only ever heard her talk on Running Man but she honestly sounds like she's been screaming at the top of her lungs and has worn it out.

I just went looking for the ads, the only places I found that weren't shady as gently caress had them hosted on youtube and they were all gone.

Huh. I could find them fine in Korean, so try that?
On my phone so I can't post links easily, but try searching 처음처럼 (the soju name) and then the idol. IE: 처음처럼 하라 round 2 or something.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've only ever heard her talk on Running Man

Apparently. I don't even like Sistar but IMO she's like the second best female idol vocalist.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, you would never think her old man voice would translate so well to a fantastic singing voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsFmDJQq-Js

So she kinda is screaming at the top of her lungs all the time!

Corn Thongs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 24, 2012

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
There is a massive douche on The Romantic & Idol but it turns out it isn't Mir at all... :iiam:

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

T. Mascis posted:

There is a massive douche on The Romantic & Idol but it turns out it isn't Mir at all... :iiam:

Poor Seung Ah. :( I wish she had the chance to date more guys.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've started watching Infinity Challenge two weeks ago and goddamn am I unable to stop. This is like my first few weeks following Running Man but I don't get exhausted by around my 30th episode. Maybe it's because I jump around in terms of episodes, but unlike RM, there doesn't seem to be a formula. Not saying RM is bad for having a formula or anything, that show is still pretty good.

I have a few questions that should be easy to answer if I watch more episodes, but since I watch IC non-chronologically I'm not sure if I'll ever get the answer myself: How did Yoo Jae-suk get the nickname 'Nal Yoo' (which means 'pimp Yoo'?), Noh Hong-chul 'Dol+i' and Jung Jun-ha 'Jjuly Jjang'? I roughly understand what most of them mean, like Dol+i is for the crazy act NHC does and Jjuly Jjang for being the best among the 'minors', basically those with less screen time (I have no idea what Nal Yoo is), but how did they get them?

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!
Here's a batch of Infinity Challenge raws with softsubs included to make it easier for people to get started with the show.

Download torrent81 (156 files; 60.57 GB)
View torrent stats

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You are a god among men. Thanks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Bradster posted:

Here's a batch of Infinity Challenge raws with softsubs included to make it easier for people to get started with the show.

Download torrent81 (156 files; 60.57 GB)
View torrent stats

Thank you so much for this. I'm hoping Hong cheol will become less annoying after repeated viewings. I couldn't stand him on Heroes.

• Locked thread