Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

We've already got it, you know. Both through CM10 and officially. I've been using CM10 for a bit now, so I can't speak to the quality of the stock ROM.

E: I really like my Evo LTE, but the S3 is certainly more popular/well supported.

My wife got the update for the Evo. Performance seems better, but now there are other little glitches. Her big beef is they made it impossible to turn the camera sound off, which for whatever reason is a ridiculously big deal.

Either way, yeah S3 or iPhone 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

My wife got the update for the Evo. Performance seems better, but now there are other little glitches. Her big beef is they made it impossible to turn the camera sound off, which for whatever reason is a ridiculously big deal.

Either way, yeah S3 or iPhone 5.

You can't turn off the shutter sound on Samsung either

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Isn't that a legal thing? I remember reading that a while back that the camera had to have a sound so people couldn't be creepers.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It's only a legal thing if you live in a nation of perverts like Japan.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Giblet posted:

You can't turn off the shutter sound on Samsung either

Most androids you can disable it by removing the sound file but you need root.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

Not as much as they hate Omaha.

No, in this case they just hate you

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah the forced shutter sound is a Sprint CSC thing they've enforced on the SGS3, guess it finally made it over to the Evo LTE too.

Although likely unrelated, the only reason I can come up or it is that Sprint's now run by Japanese management.

It's the most annoying thing ever for sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah the forced shutter sound is a Sprint CSC thing they've enforced on the SGS3, guess it finally made it over to the Evo LTE too.

Although likely unrelated, the only reason I can come up or it is that Sprint's now run by Japanese management.

It's the most annoying thing ever for sure.

They've done it for a while, the Evo 3D update forced the shutter sound too (a big reason why my wife wanted the drat Evo LTE).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pervs on the subway are universal

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think the Nexus S 4G and Galaxy Nexus are the only two phones left that Sprint has that mute the camera shutter sound.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
If you turn on your iPhone mute switch it mutes the shutter sound as well. Which is a nice touch since I always have my phone on silent.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think the Nexus S 4G and Galaxy Nexus are the only two phones left that Sprint has that mute the camera shutter sound.

The iPhone camera respects the mute switch/ringer volume, too.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Helter Skelter posted:

We've already got it, you know. Both through CM10 and officially. I've been using CM10 for a bit now, so I can't speak to the quality of the stock ROM.

E: I really like my Evo LTE, but the S3 is certainly more popular/well supported.
Oh wow, whaddya know? Thanks! I hadn't checked in about a month... I guess Sprint hasn't decided yet that my phone should be notified about an update. Time to deal with XDA cesspool and grab me some stock rooted goodness.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Oh wow, whaddya know? Thanks! I hadn't checked in about a month... I guess Sprint hasn't decided yet that my phone should be notified about an update. Time to deal with XDA cesspool and grab me some stock rooted goodness.
I think it just released a week or two ago, and it's still in the "It'll show up if you check manually, but we won't push it" stage. It probably would have told you in a few days.

And as far as the camera shutter sound, it looks like there's a bill floating around, but never even voted on, much less made a law. They could be trying to get a jump on it should it ever pass.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

averox posted:

If you turn on your iPhone mute switch it mutes the shutter sound as well. Which is a nice touch since I always have my phone on silent.

Space Gopher posted:

The iPhone camera respects the mute switch/ringer volume, too.

Whoops! Didn't know about the iPhone.

Looks like, once the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S 4G are completely gone (well, the NS4G isn't being sold but yeah), the iPhones will be the only ones then.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So the OP talks about a 3G Microcell that I can get if I call the number in the OP. Do I need to mention it or just complain that I'm not getting reception in my house?

It's been like that since I first moved here but until now I never realized there was a potential remedy to having poor signal in my home.

Also what does it mean an 'available line'?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Revitalized posted:

So the OP talks about a 3G Microcell that I can get if I call the number in the OP. Do I need to mention it or just complain that I'm not getting reception in my house?

It's been like that since I first moved here but until now I never realized there was a potential remedy to having poor signal in my home.

The microcell device gets assigned a phone number and takes up a slot on your account, so if you're approved for 10 lines you can only have 9 phones. If approved for 5, you can only have 4. You can't dial the thing (though it supports it and even has a phone jack so in theory it's a workable VoIP device, but Sprint has never enabled that to my knowledge).

I'm curious when the LTE microcells will show up; LTE was designed with the whole micro/femto/etc cell thing in mind so it should interact better with handoff and devices in general.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Stick100 posted:

Most androids you can disable it by removing the sound file but you need root.

It was easy enough to do this on the S3 (after rooting), but the sound was baked into the camera app on the Evo 3D, making it a huge pain in the rear end even with root.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ender.uNF posted:

No, in this case they just hate you

Well poo poo I'd better give them a reason to hate.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Solid LTE signal at Dulles Airport (VA, outside of DC). 1200 kbs down, 300 up. Can't wait for it to spread further around Northern VA.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Revitalized posted:

My conversation was "hi, I got a new phone hoping that my reception would improve in my apartment. Unfortunately it didn't so I'm still dropping calls left and right and was told to give you a call for an Air Rave. What do I do next?"

Then she checked my account, verified my eligibility (address and that I had an available line on my account) and then placed the order.

Now I have one and can use my phone like a normal person! It's amazing not having to walk outside to make a phonecall.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm looking to tether my MacBook over USB to my S3 when I'm working late, because I don't want to connect it to the corporate wifi (full of content filters) and they don't want me to use the wifi hotspot feature because it screws with their wifi sniffers or whatever. So USB it is.

What I had read suggested that all I needed to do was install a driver on my Mac and just select the USB Tethering option on my phone after plugging it in. I tried that, and my Mac got an IP address and I could tell that DNS was working, but I couldn't load anything. It looks like nothing was making it past the phone.

Is this due to Sprint blocking the connections somehow, or is there something else I should do? Should I be looking at a completely different process? I also saw some mention of Clockwork Tether, but it looks like Sprint is blocking that app, so I'd have to sideload it. I'll do that if it's what I need to make things work, but if there's another way (short of installing a custom ROM), I'd like to know.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

I'm looking to tether my MacBook over USB to my S3

PDANet should work as well, though you have to sideload that too. I've had good success with both Mac and PC using PDANet.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Do most of you guys disable your LTE radio? I'm in the Twin Cities, where LTE towers are slowly popping up. I'd like to use LTE if I come across an area, but if looking for an LTE signal that isn't there is raping the battery then I dunno...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

UnbornApple posted:

Do most of you guys disable your LTE radio? I'm in the Twin Cities, where LTE towers are slowly popping up. I'd like to use LTE if I come across an area, but if looking for an LTE signal that isn't there is raping the battery then I dunno...

I don't think it makes anywhere near as big of a difference as, say, WiMax did if you left it on. I've never gone out of my way to disable it, and I haven't noticed a difference in battery life coming from no LTE to having a signal most of the time.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same chip doing 2G /3G as well as LTE, unlike WiMax which was a separate radio that had to be turned on.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 23, 2012

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

I don't think it makes anywhere near as big of a difference as, say, WiMax did if you left it on. I've never gone out of my way to disable it, and I haven't noticed a difference in battery life coming from no LTE to having a signal most of the time.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same chip doing 2G /3G as well as LTE, unlike WiMax which was a separate radio that had to be turned on.

I think it's because the LTE radio is the same frequency as the EVDO radio, where WiMax is something else entirely. But I'm not an electrical engineer, so I could be way off base there.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Well, I went ahead and decided I'd try out the Optimus G. I've got 14 days to decide whether I like it or not, and the only real competitor for me was the EVO LTE. So far, it's been great, but I guess I've gotta figure out whether or not I can root it and use the WiFi Hotspot feature like I could with my old, launch-day Evo.

Honestly, most of my wariness comes from having an LG handset. I dont much care for Samsung phones, so if it's not this guy it'll have to be the Evo again.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

UnbornApple posted:

As near as I can tell, the only thing that disabling LTE will do in a non-LTE area is prevent you from taking advantage of eHRPD (which you can read about here). In my fiddling with it on my Evo LTE, I've never noticed a difference in battery life.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Yeah sorry, totally forgot about my info being here for EPRP. I got a job making the same pay at Gamestop, which lets me wear jeans and a polo and talk about video games all day, which is probably the only thing I like more than cell phones.

I will try to get another eprp email address for you guys.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

We've always got Russ McGuire's info from his site.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Well, today is the day. Just as long as the US Cellular store is open today I'll be switching from Sprint to them. Evo 3D reception being an issue, as well as chrome. I have had an upgrade since August but couldn't bring myself to execute it because of data speeds. I will say that at 630am central time I got 1752 down and 541 up. But at 630pm last night I got 46 down and 320 up.

I am deciding to give my money to the "little guy" US cellular because they have great LTE in Tulsa. I feel semi bad though, Sprint was my first cell phone company and has been my only one since 7 January 2004. Also I have a SERO plan from 2007, to bad I wasn't somewhere I could use the data.

High note: before the towers became bogged down I was able to push 7.5 gb in a month, good old days.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

atomicvocabulary posted:

Well, today is the day. Just as long as the US Cellular store is open today I'll be switching from Sprint to them. Evo 3D reception being an issue, as well as chrome. I have had an upgrade since August but couldn't bring myself to execute it because of data speeds. I will say that at 630am central time I got 1752 down and 541 up. But at 630pm last night I got 46 down and 320 up.

I am deciding to give my money to the "little guy" US cellular because they have great LTE in Tulsa. I feel semi bad though, Sprint was my first cell phone company and has been my only one since 7 January 2004. Also I have a SERO plan from 2007, to bad I wasn't somewhere I could use the data.

High note: before the towers became bogged down I was able to push 7.5 gb in a month, good old days.

I had an EVO 3D I just got rid of for an S3. Data was practically unusable on the 3D and it's actually nice on the S3 in my area(Metro Detroit) I actually want to use my phone again, not throw it at a wall.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

TheBlackMallard posted:

I had an EVO 3D I just got rid of for an S3. Data was practically unusable on the 3D and it's actually nice on the S3 in my area(Metro Detroit) I actually want to use my phone again, not throw it at a wall.

I did throw my 3D against a wall (because I am terrible), and got a Nexus S 4G, and wowwwwww, are the radios on this thing weak. And I miss dual-core. Everything else is pretty aces, though.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
I went from terrible reception in my room with the 3D dropped calls, texts not going through after multiple tries. To actually being able to talk and text on the S3.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I was just a little bit out of Ocean Pines, MD and caught LTE. Decided to do a test and it popped up with 21.81mbit down and 8.25mbit up. Jesus Christ please roll out faster 4G. I don't care if it gets bogged down by a ton of people being on it but its gotta be better than the sub 1mbit downstream tests I've been getting at home in Delaware. There was even a point in the summer where I was lucky if the Speedtest results were better than 0.20mbit down.

Things were a little bit better in Ocean City, MD but I mean, not amazing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheBlackMallard posted:

I went from terrible reception in my room with the 3D dropped calls, texts not going through after multiple tries. To actually being able to talk and text on the S3.

You are me, but in a different city. I love my S3. I'm even okay with TouchWiz, but that's largely laziness on my part.

I had to boot up my 3D the other day to get something off of it, and everything about it reminded me of why I replaced it. Even the screen, which I never had a problem with, looks hideous to me now.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The 4G coverage in Atlanta is crazy. It reaches all the way out to my parents' house in Ellenwood.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

theguy2687 posted:

The 4G coverage in Atlanta is crazy. It reaches all the way out to my parents' house in Ellenwood.
Pretty much this. Although LTE stops just before my neighborhood in Woodstock, but everywhere else I go has it so I'm not really complaining.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This morning I did a speed test in a parking lot in Lincoln Square (Chicago) and got 39Mb down. Beats my previous record of 37, but it's a whole other story indoors. Can't wait until it's using the Nextel spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sprint roams on Verizon's network, but does it only do it on the 1900 MHz band? This is something I've been wondering lately. This would probably explain why even when I'm roaming in a department store, the phone can barely hold a signal.