Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
It's a good thing that Buddy Bell is a mediocre bench bat, otherwise I'd be concerned. Still, DL Buddy Bell and promote Max Carey. Also, send Garak and Major Kira to negotiate with Gul Dukat to prevent any more such injuries. Hijinks will surely ensue.

Oh, and get some drat gyros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm torn. Gyros are the best option, but so is cute monster raising.
I'll flip a coin.
B

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
C!

This needs to be done, post-haste!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
B.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
What's a gyros? Donner meat? Put that poo poo in a calzone and make it a multicultural tastebud orgy! What I'm saying is C.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ForeverBWFC posted:

What's a gyros? Donner meat? Put that poo poo in a calzone and make it a multicultural tastebud orgy! What I'm saying is C.

It's a doner kebab yeah.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My vaguely greek heritage demands that I vote for C!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
I vote for plan B.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I'm stuck phoneposting in a Las Vegas airport hotel, so it's a Christmas miracle for you Smasher: no lineup changes!

However, I beg your indulgence of going to my spreadsheet and putting all the slider settings I have noted as for home games into effect.

Finally, I say Mark trains them to make gyros ! :aaa:

Happy holidays, everyone.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Gyros sound delicious. C.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

I'm stuck phoneposting in a Las Vegas airport hotel, so it's a Christmas miracle for you Smasher: no lineup changes!

However, I beg your indulgence of going to my spreadsheet and putting all the slider settings I have noted as for home games into effect.

Finally, I say Mark trains them to make gyros ! :aaa:

Happy holidays, everyone.

You get one set of sliders, because otherwise I'd have to manually edit them multiple times a week, and I just can't do that. Sorry.

Super-Draft News

Assuming no one has a problem with it, we'll do the live draft again and, for that to work, I'll set the draft order earlier than usual, let's say, at the end of Week 7.

More information on that to come.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Gotta go for the gyros. C

Also, to deal with the Rickey Henderson injury, send him down, recall Happy Felsch. New lineup for now:

code:
1. LF - Lankford
2. 3B - Molitor
3. RF - Berkman
4. 1B - Gonzalez
5. DH - Youkilis
6. C  - Lombardi (Berra catches for Oswalt)
7. CF - Biggio
8. 2B - Pedroia
9. SS - Rollins

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

You get one set of sliders, because otherwise I'd have to manually edit them multiple times a week, and I just can't do that. Sorry.

No, that's cool. I just have those as notes to myself, but since I can't edit my spreadsheet easily on my phone and I play this whole week at home, I'm asking you to use those numbers for this whole week.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A man can't go on a pointless sidequest in any jRPG without some food so C it is.

Chick Haley is coming off DL in a day, so we'll drop him in 1B. Niekro is a disaster but so is everyone else, so Tiant goes to DL while Reuschel is rescued from AA and put into LR again. I guess I'll ride it out for a bit longer before panicking.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Frankly, who cares about gyros? There's grinding to be done down in the sewers.

Option A!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 5 Injury Report

Burma Imperialists
David Wells (SP) (End of Empire) - 9 days

Cancun Tornados
Roy Campanella (C) (Hurt Hand Punching...) - 7 days
Jeff Montgomery (RP) (...Montgomery in the jaw) - 29 days

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Adjusted lineup in anticipation of Torre's return!

code:
#1 - Michael Jordan RF
#2 - Wade Boggs 3B
#3 - Rogers Hornsby 2B
#4 - Stan Musial LF
#5 - Hank Aaron 1B
#6 - Joe Torre C
#7 - Julio Franco SS
#8 - Brett Butler CF
Pitcher

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 4: The Graham Harrell Experience

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

SMOKERS SMOKE AIR RAIDS 4-0

Havana- Thanks to Robin Roberts, the Smokers can finally breathe easy. For today, at least.

Roberts threw a three-hitter, completely hand-cuffing the Air Raids as the Smokers were able to score a rare victory.

After the game, an addled ManifunkDestiny gave some of the most unusual post-game comments in Super-League history, "This was a great game, a great win, and I feel truly blessed to have a team this good. I mean, I was worried going into this game that we might not be able to pull this off, but our pitching was great, our hitting was timely, and everything just worked out. I'd like to thank Robin Roberts especially, because he made all of this possible, and without him, I really think we would have lost this game. As I've said before, this was a great win for not only myself, but for all of Cuba."

At this point, the reporters in the room realized what was happening, and tried to explain to ManifunkDestiny that he actually owned the Air Raids, and not the Smokers. This confused ManifunkDestiny, "Really? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, I've been to Spokane, and there's no way in hell that I would ever put a team there. No one would. It's a miserable city in the middle of nowhere. Why would I put my team there? No, that's impossible...stop looking at me like that, I'm not crazy! NOT CRAZY! YOU'RE THE CRAZY ONES! CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The marginally saner owner of the Smokers, Shadow gamer, praised his team's ability to thrive even if the face of, "The illegal American embargo which, for decades now, has tried and fail to smother to death our glorious revolution. But, with men like Robin Roberts on our side, I have no doubt that we shall finally bring the Super-League Championship back to the revolutionary republic of Cuba. There are many out there who will say that our record is so bad that such an outcome is impossible, but those are just the lies of the counter-revolutionaries who distort facts and truths in our to discredit our way of life. Soy Cuba!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

BIOSPARKS DROP ANOTHER, GRACE PLEADS FOR EUTHANASIA

Seattle- The Bobbleheads were champions. The Biosparks are not.

The Biosparks took perhaps their most devastating loss in a season full of them today, as Kenny Rogers, the ancient and not particularly good left-hander was able to stymie the Biosparks' offense, and the Suicides took an easy 10-2 win.

Mark Grace, Captain-Eternal of the now-disbanded Bobbleheads, was sharp in the criticism of the team that replaced the Bobbles, "Holy loving poo poo, these guys are bad. Grade-D Coyotecoon bad. They've got a deadballed in a corner outfield position, which is stupid no matter how you cut it. They've got three guys who simply can't hit up the middle, with Bancroft, Fox and Ferrell, and then they're hoping that Doby is going to bail them out despite the fact that he's been a disaster for every other team that's tried to make him an everyday player. That's too many holes, just too many."

That drew a sharp response from the owner of the Biosparks, blakelmenakle, "It isn't easy to build a new team, and we've got plenty of time to figure this out. But if Mark Grace were really so concerned about my welfare, maybe he should have hit a bit better in Game 9 against the Macho Men last year. We win that game, I don't have to build the Biosparks on the fly. But no, Grace hosed it all up, and this is where we are now."

The Suicides, who are winners despite the glaring holes on their roster, continue to outperform Pungry's other teams, which did not seem to surprise Pungry too much, "This team reflects my inner angst," explained the Suicides' owner, "The world is such a dark place, just like my soul. No one understand my torment, the pain of seeing my last two teams get torn apart before my eyes. That turned my soul black with sadness, but no one gets me. Pssh. None of you understand either, your just more conformos out there to make sure that any who acts or dresses differently gets put down. That's so lame. I wrote a poem about it, actually." Pungry then pulled out a wrinkled sheet of paper from his pocket as every reporter in the room tried to flee at once, caused a bottleneck at the exits. Dozens were injured in the ensuing stampede, a scene of carnage that Pungry has vowed to incorporate in his poetry from this point on.

Box Score

It's Time! It's Time! It's TV Title Time!

: And we're back for more Television Title Defenses!
: Does anyone actually read these?
: I don't think that anyone reads anything in these updates.
: Oh.
: Yeah. Anyway, the Arguments, having won the TV Title last week, are about to be in for the fight of their lives, as the Whalers are back and they want to reclaim the TV Title they lost last week...and the Arguments will take the first game, thanks to four home runs from their sluggers.
: The Whalers' Carlton aren't the most consistent pitchers, and sometimes, especially against a lineup with a lot of power hitters, things can fall apart for him.

: Whalers tie up the series, and this will go to Game 3.
: The Whalers have two great contact hitters in Boggs and Collins up top to start off their lineup, and that's a good thing to have in front of your power hitters. That wasn't the decisive factor here, but it certainly didn't hurt.

: And the Whalers become two-time Television Champions with an 8-6 win.
: Not the prettiest of games, but the Whalers' offense really has the chance to be something special with all of those sluggers. I'm still not sold on the bottom third of their lineup, but it hasn't held them back so far.

: The Whalers won't get a lot of time to celebrate, though, as they now have a 4-game set with the Gumshoes.
: Gumshoes one of the most heroic teams in Super-League history, having banished the Wausau Woodchucks to the land of eternal twilight from whence no man can e'er return!
: And we're all grateful. And the Gumshoes will power their way to a Game 1 win.
: It's an uphill battle, though, because they'll have to win three out of four games to win the TV Title.

: And here comes the Big Oh! He'll hit two home runs, and that will give the Gumshoes another game, meaning they only need to win one of the next two games to become the new Television Champions!
: The Gumshoes' great run continues, although you have to wonder if their rotation is ever going to be consistent enough to make them true contenders.

: The Gumshoes offense continues to impress, and they have won the Television Championship, meaning that they are now double-champions!
: That's right, but since the Larkin-Downing Award can change hands on any sufficiently impressive enough comeback, the Whalers can still come out of this series with something.

: It's not going to happen today, though, the Gumshoes complete a four-game sweep, and the Whalers are reeling.
: The Whalers gave up over six runs a game this series, I would say most of the fault has to go to their pitching, which was just awful this series.

: And that's that. The Gumshoes will carry the TV Title into next week where they'll face the failures. Pending the outcome, we'll see either the Gumshoes-Arguments, with the Arguments trying to recapture the TV Title, or Failures-Barons. It probably won't kill you to read it!

Team Statistics

Analysis

I'd suggest platooning Yaz and Evans, but I think Yaz is a bit old for that.

Analysis

According to DICE, Strasburg is one of the best pitchers in the league. Sure doesn't make that 9.62 ERA look any more sightly, though, does it?

Analysis

I claim victory in the great Del Ennis debate. Now put Drew in there already!

Analysis

It may be time to make peace with the fact that Marauder is clearly some sort of evil wizard.

Analysis

Poor Whalers, that TV Title was the only thing that made Hartford worthwhile as a city.

Analysis

In two weeks, if they retain both titles, there will be a chance for a triple-unification match against the Landers.

Analysis

So, uh, can you return Tejada now? He's not doing so good.

Analysis

The core of your lineup is strong, it's just that everything else is kind of a disaster.

Analysis

The Big Unit is gaining strength! Who can stop the Mashers now? Well, besides the two teams ahead of them in the standings...

Analysis

MATH HAS FAILED US!

Analysis

I think it's too early to give up on McCovey.

Also, you might as well try Roberts somewhere.

Analysis

The Phoenixes: Still in your head.

Analysis

Well, at least you've bottomed out. I mean, it can't get much worse.

Analysis

Sweeney is sucking...but you don't have any spare 1Bs, so, you're stuck with him for now.

Analysis

: Come on, BWFC, put me into Tesreau's spot in the rotation! Do it! DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT! Do it! You know you want to! Why fight it! I'd totally be the awesomest starting pitcher ever! Please?

Analysis

That pitching is going to be the death of your team.

Standings and Leaders

A. Fight through the sewers to reach the airport! - 2 votes

B. Embark on the Coyotecoon-raising sidequest! - 6 votes

C. Get a gyros! - 10 votes

Clearly, it is time for Mark Grace to get a gyros. I mean, coyotecoons are great and all, but they taste terrible.

Mark Grace got back in his Mazda 626 and starting heading up McCormick. It being Chicagoland, there were many places nearby that he could get a gyros from, but, in his heart, he knew that he had to go to Hub's.

Now, at this juncture, it is worth discussing just what a gyros is, as there has been some confusion on this point. The meat in a gyros is, in fact, essentially the same thing as a doner kebab. A doner kebab, in case you don't know, is a preparation of meat where a large stack of meat is placed on a vertical spit, and then roasted slowly. Strips of meat are then cut from the stacks, and served, usually in a pita.

In the United States, the meat used is typically a combination of beef and lamb. It is served, at least in the Chicago area, with a yogurt-cucumber sauce and sliced onions and tomatoes.

Parking at the restaurant, Mark made his way to the counter, and looked over the menu. On the television in the corner of the dining room, various political commentators debated whether or not the world would be better off if Berlusconi awakened Yaltabothener, with one pundit noting that, "Should a majority of the developed world be destroyed as Yaltabothener devours the souls of millions, the price of oil will probably fall, and that might be just what the economy needs to get back on track."

The cashier asked Mark what he wanted, and he ordered a gyros sandwich, as distinct from the larger gyros plate, which, Grace figured, he really didn't have time to deal with. The cashier told him it would be $7.67.

DECISION TIME!

What will Mark Grace do next?

A. Pay with a credit card!

B. Pay with cash!

C. Raise a Coyotecoon skilled enough to win you $7.67 in the Coyotecoon arena!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I want nothing more than to own a Coyotecoon.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I have an uncle in NY who pays for everything in cash and doesn't own a debit card or credit card because he believes that credit is the scourge of the economy and the reason why the United States is crumbling under our feet.

I don't like my uncle. A.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
A winning week and a Seahawks win! Today has been great :neckbeard:

B.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gyros LEAD TO Coyotecoon raising? SIGN ME UP!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Annoying, the leftie starting pitching I'm carrying to beat the phoenixes only played 1 game against the phoenixes, which FRank Tanana won it looks like, and then the other two lefties played the mashers lineup of righties and got loving hammered. I've got to be more careful with this.

Edit: Related note, do I need to do something about Larry Walker, or is he just unlucky. It looks like his clone Walker is hitting, so is it just bad luck? He's got a caddy for right handers and everything. His career away slash line is BA .278 OBP .370 SLG .495

I'm considering moving Ott to RF and calling up Musial he is annoying me so much. I know how old mel ott is

Edit 2: Also, is Yount the Younger just not showing any defensive stats because he's not playing CF, or is it something more concerning?

I'm pretty sure we don't have any Earth-2 cash or credit, so let's go with C

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 24, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Credit Card, I am sure Mark Grace has amazing credit. A

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Annoying, the leftie starting pitching I'm carrying to beat the phoenixes only played 1 game against the phoenixes, which FRank Tanana won it looks like, and then the other two lefties played the mashers lineup of righties and got loving hammered. I've got to be more careful with this.

In fact, the Big Train won the game against me, and Tanana didn't win this week, but I hate to discourage your paranoia.

Send down Bill Dickey, call up and start Schnozz Lombardi.

Mark Grace should acquire his gyros sandwich in exchange for

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

Well, at least I've started hitting a little. At this point I'll take anything that says my team still has some talent, not just a horribly constructed mess doomed to fail its first Gauntlet. Clemente and Stargell are just that sort of glimmer of hope. Along with Gio Gonzalez, who appears to be some sort of luck-vampire who has stolen every bit of good fortune due more talented pitchers.

I'm starting to suspect some sort of jinx on Maddux that will make me want Tejada back even if he doesn't play badly enough to trigger the Landers' insurance.

Everyone wants a Coyotecoon.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Willie Horton to the minors, Manny Ramirez back from the DL.

Lineup:

LF Raines
2B Collins
CF DiMaggio
C Gibson (Bailey for Richard)
DH Ramirez
RF Aaron
3B Brett
1B Nomar
SS Tejada

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I'm starting to suspect some sort of jinx on Maddux that will make me want Tejada back even if he doesn't play badly enough to trigger the Landers' insurance.

I've seen enough of Tejada to know I don't particularly want him anymore. Any time you're ready to take him back, I'll happily activate the insurance clause early.

Tejada back for the draft pick? That gives you a chance to see if Maddux turns it around, and a better defensive option at short than Mora.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Well, at least I've started hitting a little. At this point I'll take anything that says my team still has some talent, not just a horribly constructed mess doomed to fail its first Gauntlet. Clemente and Stargell are just that sort of glimmer of hope. Along with Gio Gonzalez, who appears to be some sort of luck-vampire who has stolen every bit of good fortune due more talented pitchers.

Everyone wants a Coyotecoon.

What do you want for Maddux? I can accept a similar insurance clause if you have to unwind the trade. I've got both pitching and hitting that is better than yours, as well as three hall of fame shortstops so I can probably part with one.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 24, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Man, by the end of this season, this thread is going to have 20 views a day, and half of them will be mine.

Smasher League Week 5 Injury Report

Cuba Smokers
Keith Hernandez (1B) (Realized most enduring memory of himself was his guest appearance on Seinfeld, got depressed) - 62 days

New England Arguments
Bret Saberhagen (SP) (It's Bret Saberhagen, an injury was inevitable) - 27 days

Oxbridge Mathematicians
Johnny Damon (OF) (Long lines at the NHS) - 7 days

Philadelphia Failures
Roy Oswalt (SP) (Visited by three spirits...who beat the poo poo out of Oswalt for a lack of Christmas Spirit) - 8 days

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Voting B for the obit story.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up, I was mostly being facetious about how bad most of my pitching has been lately - I'm still new enough to SL (and hadn't done Mogul in a long while before that) that I'm at a loss for how guys with great overall ratings can flop so terribly in results. (Other than small sample size, which is what I have to cling to here.)

mrnoun posted:

I've seen enough of Tejada to know I don't particularly want him anymore. Any time you're ready to take him back, I'll happily activate the insurance clause early.

Tejada back for the draft pick? That gives you a chance to see if Maddux turns it around, and a better defensive option at short than Mora.

Let's see how things play out till the draft, because I'm honestly shocked he hasn't shown any power. If his on-base/defense get bad enough to trigger insurance, I'd like to see where my team stands in a month to better judge if my survival will be better aided by Maddux or the pick.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What do you want for Maddux? I can accept a similar insurance clause if you have to unwind the trade. I've got both pitching and hitting that is better than yours, as well as three hall of fame shortstops so I can probably part with one.

I'll take a look at your roster when I don't have holiday-related activities squeezing my free time (let alone Baseball Ref-ing, number-crunching, spreadsheeting time) - as happy as I am to see Mora giving offensive value, my underperforming pitching says I might really benefit from a shortstop who can field as well as give some offense, and I'm not sure Yount qualifies enough to outright downgrade the rotation. But again, I won't rule anything out, just have to take a harder look at your roster later in the week.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Man, by the end of this season, this thread is going to have 20 views a day, and half of them will be mine.

Smasher League Week 5 Injury Report

New England Arguments
Bret Saberhagen (SP) (It's Bret Saberhagen, an injury was inevitable) - 27 days

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Fine, whatever. Clemens should be fit again soon, so slot him into Saberhagen's spot in the rotation. That should make the rotation:

1. Wakefield
2. Halladay
3. Clemens
4. Stottlemeyer
5. Some eejit I picked up in the draft

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Don't worry Smasher the other 10 views will be mine although I hardly have anything interesting to say and thus don't post alot. Anyhow Merry Christmas to you all.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Since all jRPG sidequests take no narrative time, let's go raise some Coyotecoons.

Merry Christmas to all in Earth-2, if the holiday still exists!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

For when third-best is good enough!

Owner: mooseontheloose
Home Grounds: TFK Memorial Stadium

Teams Used
1917 Cleveland Indians
1946 Washington Senators
1948 Boston Braves
1993 Texas Rangers

Past Records
Expansion Cup VI
77-85, 3rd Place, Johnny Hopp Division
Super-League VII
79-83, 2nd Place, Skyhawks Memorial Division
Gauntlet VI
Round 8: 8-32, 4th Place, Relegated

: Well, guys, it's almost Christmas, and what better way to celebrate than with the Adam Dunn Christmas Special! Now, I wasn't able to finish it in time, so I'll have to fill in the gaps a bit...

INT. OVAL OFFICE - DAY

Adam Dunn enters the room escorted by Secret Services agents. President Obama, sitting behind his behind his desk, stands up to greet him.

PRESIDENT OBAMA
(gesturing to the Secret Service Agents)
Okay, I can take it from here.

SECRET SERVICE AGENT #1
Very good, Mr. President.

The agents leave the room, leaving Adam Dunn and President Obama alone.

PRESIDENT OBAMA
(gesturing to a couch in the middle of the room)
Please, take a seat, Mr. Dunn.

ADAM DUNN
(sitting in the couch)
Mr. President, I'd like to know what's going on here.

PRESIDENT OBAMA
(sitting in a couch opposite Adam Dunn)
Well, Mr. Dunn, it turns out that we've got a bit of problem. And we could use your help.

ADAM DUNN
A problem? On Christmas Eve?

PRESIDENT OBAMA
And that's the thing of it, Mr. Dunn, if we don't solve this crisis, there's not going to be any Christmas to have an eve of!

ADAM DUNN
(skeptical)
A world without Christmas, that's impossible!

PRESIDENT OBAMA
Well, actually, the vast majority of human existence took place before the invention of Christmas, so it would technically be possible, and, in fact, the majority of people on this world don't celebrate Christmas, so-

ADAM DUNN
(irritated)
But I think we can both agree that a world without Christmas is not worth living in, right?

PRESIDENT OBAMA
Again, that would be tantamount to saying that the vast majority of the human race do not have lives worth living.

ADAM DUNN
(even more frustrated)
But it must be pretty dire, otherwise you wouldn't have called me.

PRESIDENT OBAMA
Yes, well, I certainly don't want to be known as the president who lost Christmas, I get enough of that from Fox News already.

ADAM DUNN
So, what do you mean Christmas is in trouble?

PRESIDENT OBAMA
Three days ago, Santa Claus and his operation on the North Pole were seized by unknown agents.

ADAM DUNN
My god.

PRESIDENT OBAMA
That's right, and we're pretty sure that the ringleader of these terrorists is Steve Bartman!

ADAM DUNN
Bartman? But why? Has he issued any ransom demands?

PRESIDENT OBAMA
Now, Mr. Dunn, that is simply not Bartman's M.O. Bartman is not a man who cares for material possessions or anything else, he simply wants to make others suffer.

ADAM DUNN
So, you want me to head up to the North Pole in order to stop him?

PRESIDENT OBAMA
That's right, Mr. Dunn, only your extreme sabermetric skills can possibly save Christmas now.

ADAM DUNN
(determined)
Then it looks like it's time...to take...and rake!

: Right. So, at this point, I'm forced to start my journey to the North Pole, including a motorcycle chase scene through Cincinnati that ends with the entire city being destroyed by a tinsel bomb. Eventually, though, I'm able to find my way to the Canadian border, but that's where my troubles just get started...

INT. CUSTOMS OFFICE - NIGHT

Adam Dunn is brought into the office, where CANADIAN OFFICIAL is waiting for him, sitting in a chair at a table.

OFFICIAL
(officious)
Sit down, Mr. Dunn.

Adam Dunn sits down

OFFICIAL
We know why you're here, and we're not happy about it. You should now that the route your going on passes through Canadian soil, and we're not in the habit of allowing foreign countries to engage in paramilitary operations without our consent.

ADAM DUNN
(angrY)
drat it, don't any of you understand what's going on here? The fate of Christmas is at stake!

OFFICIAL
(diffident)
Be that as it may, we're not preparing to sacrifice out sovereignty, not even for Christmas.

ADAM DUNN
And that's why Steve Bartman is going to win again.

OFFICIAL
Yes, well that's not-

A knocking is heard at the door. Official gets up and answers it, and another official whispers something in his ear. He leaves the room while Adam Dunn waits nervously. After about ten seconds, MATT STAIRS enters the room.

ADAM DUNN
(annoyed)
Ugh. What do you want? What are you even doing here? Did some team trade you to the Canadian government or something?

MATT STAIRS
(cocky)
You know the difference between me and you, Adam? We both suck at making contact, neither of us can field-

ADAM DUNN
(even more annoyed)
Is it that I'm about a foot taller than you? Or that I'm actually a legitimate Major League Player? Or that a team would actually sign me for a contract longer than one year?

MATT STAIRS
(smiling)
No, Adam, it's that people actually like me.

ADAM DUNN
Who likes you?

MATT STAIRS
(defensive)
A lot of people. Phillies fans. Moneyball fans. Some people in Montreal, probably...

ADAM DUNN
Winners all!

MATT STAIRS
Listen, I'm trying to help you out. I can get you free passage to the North Pole, but I've got to come with you.

ADAM DUNN
I don't know, I work better alone.

MATT STAIRS
(frustrated)
And that's why the fans don't like you! You need to learn to work as a team. Believe me, Adam, the day is going to come when you realize that you can't do everything alone.

ADAM DUNN
(resigned)
I guess I don't have much choice, do I?

: Me and Matt Stairs then continue our overland journey, and he keeps trying to sell me on the importance of teamwork, but I'm too stubborn to listen. Eventually, we get ambushed by ninjas sent by Bartman, and Stairs sacrifices his life to save me from a bullet...or a sword...I don't know, hadn't written that part yet. Anyway, he does eventually make it to the North Pole...

NORTH POLE - INT

Adam Dunn bursts into the room to see Steve Bartman and LEON TROTSKY pointing their guns at SANTA CLAUS.

STEVE
(nervous)
Stop right there, Adam Dunn! One more step and St. Nick gets it right in the neck! Isn't that right, Leon Trotsky?

LEON
(confident)
That's correct, my American friend. Finally, I will be able to deal a blow to the greatest two poisons that are killing the workers of America: Materialism and the corrupted religion that condones such excesses. Once we have freed the workers, they will rise up in revolt against their plutocratic masters and form a workers' state!

ADAM DUNN
(confused, under his breath)
Leon Trotsky?
(swaggering)
Yeah, last time you tried that, it didn't work out to well for you or Russia!

LEON
Indeed, but that was our own fault. Marx had written that a true Communist revolution would take place in an industrialized nation but we Bolsheviks, ignoring the Menshevik plea for patience, instigated our rebellion in a land that was still largely pastoral. And so we reaped our own whirlwind, as it were.

ADAM DUNN
(defiant)
Yeah, well, there may be two of you but-

MATT STAIRS (V.O.)
(ghostly)
The day is going to come when you realize that you can't do everything alone...

ADAM DUNN
(wistfully)
Stairs...
(forcefully)
You know Steve, it occurs to me that 2-on-1 isn't the best way to settle things.

STEVE
Agreed. There's only one fair way to settle this...

ADAM DUNN
That's right, a tag-team wrestling match to determine whether Christmas lives or dies!

STEVE
Exactly! Now, Trotsky is my tag partner, but Mr. Stairs is dead, so I don't know who you can get on this short notice...

ADAM DUNN
(smirking)
Oh, you let me handle that. Ladies and gentleman, introducing my tag partner, from Chicago, Illinois and weighing in at 215 pounds, the Straight-Edge Messiah, CM Punk!

"Cult of Personality" starts playing as CM PUNK enters the North Pole Fortress. Both Bartman and Trotsky are shocked at this turn of events.

STEVE
(terrfied)
CM Punk?! But you don't even like Christmas...or anything else that's fun!

CM PUNK
That's right, I don't, and there's nothing less fun in the world than being a Cubs fan, Bartman!

: And then, I don't know, I guess Adam Dunn wins...or something. Holy gently caress, it's Christmas! What do you all want from me?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
B - Always pay with cash!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I'll take a look at your roster when I don't have holiday-related activities squeezing my free time (let alone Baseball Ref-ing, number-crunching, spreadsheeting time) - as happy as I am to see Mora giving offensive value, my underperforming pitching says I might really benefit from a shortstop who can field as well as give some offense, and I'm not sure Yount qualifies enough to outright downgrade the rotation. But again, I won't rule anything out, just have to take a harder look at your roster later in the week.

All good - trade opportunities are rare so I figured I'd get my oar in. I'm happy to move multiple pieces as well.

Merry Christmas as well Commissioner and owners!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
That obit rules. Merry Christmas, y'all.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Dynamo League Week 5: Not a Christmas Miracle at all!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

BLOGGERS COME BACK TWICE, BEAT LOSERS 10-9

The Basement- The Bloggers, much like some sort of horrible plague, have continued to infect the Super-League with their deadly, deadly poison.

This game went to extra innings where, two times, the Losers managed to get themselves a lead of two runs. But, both times, the Bloggers were able to come back and tie the game and, the second time, where able to do the Losers one better, scoring a third run in the bottom of the twelfth to ensure his teams victory.

Lord Mayor Humungus, ruled of the Rockford Losers and Despoiler of Lake County, blamed his team's loss on the injury to John Smoltz that prevented his team from using their best reliever in this game, "Smoltz's weak elbow has betrayed not only me, but all of the Losers! I would punish him directly, but he is still of use to my team, and so harming him would just bring further hardship to Rockford. But I am a resourceful man, Smoltz, so do not think that your betrayal will go unrewarded. I have heard that you are quite the Christian, Smoltz, that you are "born again". It is fitting, Smoltz, that in retribution for your failure, that I am cancelling Christmas throughout the Rockford area. Clearly, that is the only way you will learn. Have a Un-Merry Not-Christmas, John Smoltz, and do not fail me again!"

The Bloggers responded to requests for an interview with a series modifications to their team:

"-1 Cutoff Throws
+2 Pinch Runners

Move in Left Field Power Alley 7 feet

Replace Lenny Dykstra with Andruw Jones

Make Bill Freehan personal catcher of Milt Pappas

Tell owners that Norm Cash is still on the trading block."

From these comments, a rough translation of the intended remarks of Mornacale has been made: "All is well. Our plans continue apace. There is no joy to baseball other than spreadsheets and constant tedious adjustments to the team. That others find other sources of joy in the Super-League cannot be allowed to continue. We will drive joy and fun entirely out of this Super-League! So say the Bloggers!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

BULLDOGS BEAT COBURNS 5-4, TKBOMBER: "I AM IMMORTAL!"

Fort Sumner- The Bulldogs may never die.

With a win today, the Bulldogs have dug themselves out of an early-season hole, and while the remain six games back of the division, the Bulldogs now have momentum on their side.

"I am the most immortal man who has ever lived...but not died, because I'm immortal!" proclaimed Bulldogs' owner TKBomber, who has survived for over seven straight seasons in the Super-League, and still holds the ownership record for most Super-League titles, for his three championships with the Skyhawks. "I know that a lot of people were gunning for me. People like that loser Senerio bitched about how I cheated or whatever, but they're all gone, and I'm still here. And, when I'm done with this season, andm y team survives, that means that another one of your crappy teams is going to bite the dust, and there's nothing you can do to stop me, isn't that right, Pete?"

Pete Alexander, who has effectively become TKBomber's consligiere as well as his rotation ace, agreed, "That's right, TKBomber, I won my fifth game today, in only the fifth week of the season. Just like always. As long as TKBomber is in the league, it's my duty to help his team survive, and I'm the greatest Pete Alexander to ever play in the Super-League. None of you have any hope of beating us."

James Coburn, who speaks for the Coburns, had a very brief comment, given that it was Christmas Eve and all, "Christmas Whiskey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He was very, very, very drunk.

Game Notes
The game was briefly delayed in the fifth inning when Ted Williams charged into the stands and started attacking fans. It was not clear exactly what had set the left fielder off, and after the game he refused to comment on the situation, except to say that, "Nobody calls me a loving Mason and gets away with. Nobody."

Box Score

Always Hardcore!

: Hardcore defenses! Go now! Start!
: Uh, okay, first up, Dervishes are the reigning champs and they'll take on the Imperialists!
: Imperialists lose!
: They do lose game 1, that's for sure. And it still seems crazy that Viscount Slim can't find a better shortstop than Renteria.

: Dervishes win Game 2 and retain!
: Um...is there a reason that you're talking like that?
: I've grown weary of...well, everything. Let's just move this along.

: Imperialists take the final game of the series, so at least they are complete failures...just mostly failures.
: Their hitters just haven't been doing well at all this season. They could turn it around, though. The Memento Mori is stronger than last year, though...

: Okay, let's hurry this along. Next up, the Unspecifieds will try to add to their Intercontinental Championship by winning the Hardcore title.
: Two teams built on finesse. Not a lot of power bats or arms, but defense and control pitching mainly.
: Dervishes win Game 1, and they need to win just one of the next three games in order to retain the Hardcore Title.

: Unspecifieds win, so they still have a chance to win the Hardcore Title.
: Any time that Doug Fister can throw a complete game in the Super-League, you know that you aren't exactly facing a dominating offense, although, I think that even Beet would admit that the Dervishes aren't centered around power hitting.

: Unspecifieds win again, and so it will go to Game 4 to determine who will hold the Hardcore championship. And, having been shut out by Jim Perry, you've got to wonder if the Dervishes have enough of an offense to win a Super-League Championship.
: It's definitely a question worth asking at this point. A good team will find a way to score more than two runs in eighteen innings against Doug Fister and Jim Perry.

: And the Unspecifieds will take the series with a third straight win!
: Another complete game by an Unspecifieds' pitcher, and there has to be some conversation about the Dervishes' offense now, because this was just a miserable performance from them. Beet doesn't necessarily have to do anything, but he certainly has to think about what went wrong here.

: And the Unspecifieds' win sets up a title defense against the Bloggers next week, and if the Bloggers win, I riot. Pending that result, we'll see either Unspecs-Pessimists or Bloggers-Oranges.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Jason Kendall, team-killer!

Analysis

Having one's team led by no-power, all-contact hitters isn't exactly how you'd draw it up on a spreadsheet, but it is working.

Analysis

Why can't the Imperialists hit?

Analysis

Time to Nuke 'em with Newcombe!

Analysis

Still having their best season in a while, even if Griffey is starting off very slowly.

Analysis

Maybe you're just cursed, Warm Sarsaparilla, I mean, your teams always underperform their Pythagorean records.

Analysis

Also underperforming, mainly because your new acquisitions are mired in extended slumps. You probably just have to grin and bear it, I'm afraid.

Analysis

Your hitters are unanimous in their message to you, oldskoll: "gently caress off and die!" They can be mean.

Analysis

'Twas the night before Christmas, and your team still sucked...

Analysis

Bangers continue to smash puny competition.

Analysis

I guess CthulhuDreams was leery of Frank Smith for good reason.

Analysis

IMMORTALITY! Even if Jack Morris appears to hate you.

Analysis

Wow, your hitting has really bottomed out. I think Gwynn might completely collapse before the end of the season at this rate.

Analysis

Pete Rose can play third. Just saying.

Analysis

THREE WEEKS OF SPACE JAM POWER REMAINING!

Analysis

So? Another ten million lineup changes this, right?

Standings and Leaders

A. Pay with a credit card! - 2 votes

B. Pay with cash! - 3 votes

C. Raise a Coyotecoon skilled enough to win you $7.67 in the Coyotecoon arena! - 5 votes

: Wait! That's uh...kind of close! I demand a recount!

Credit
UZWorm
MooseontheLoose

Cash
Pungry
Marauder
ToiletofSadness

Coyotecoon
Monicro
Senerio
CthulhuDreams
FaustoanBargain
kw0134

: Man, gently caress all of you.

Mark Grace wanted that gyros, but cruel fate had destroyed those dreams, at least for the moment. Instead, he would have to train a coyotecoon in order to make enough money to afford a gyros.

Stopping by the local forest preserve, where the coyotecoons roamed free. He would need to find a suitable critter to train into the greatest coyotecoon warrior of all-time. But, since they were all essentially the same in the wild, any of them would do.

Getting his capture sack, Mark shoved one of the animals inside and then drew back the string, sealing it inside. He didn't have time for any of this bullshit, he needed a loving gyros!

Driving back to his house on Earth-1, Mark opened up the sack in his basement which, presciently, he had already converted into a gym, perfect for the training of his new coyotecoon.

But training the animal to fight wasn't the important part. No, the big money wouldn't come from technical skill, but from the potency of the gimmick. See, the masses found it difficult to distinguish between coyotecoons, and so, the only way to really make these fights 'pop' for them was to create distinctive mannerisms and personalities that would allow people to latch onto particular coyotecoons as their favorites.

Fortunately, Mark Grace had the perfect idea. Henceforth, his coyotecoon would be known as "The Loose Coonen, li'l Brian Pillman!" You'll need to get him a little leather vest to make the look complete, though. Also, teach him how to bug out his eyes on cue. It's not going to be easy, but nothing worth doing ever is!

DECISION TIME!

Will Mark Grace...

A. Realize that raising animals to fight each other for his own material gain is wrong and head to an Ashram in order to find some sort of spiritual redemption?

B. Enter li'l Brian Pillman in the Rank D Coyotecon Tournament!

C. Wait, if we're back on Earth-1, then we have money, and so can just get that gyros!

VOTE...please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Alright gently caress two-thirds of that experiment

1. Joe Jackson RF