Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I actually bought the wheels from a guy that was selling 'cause they didn't fit his e39 525i wagon. Had no clue the M5's center bore was "correct". Should make selling those things easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I just picked it up from the body shop. The skirts and lip came out great and you can't tell at all that the passenger fender was damaged. I'm very happy with how it came out!

I'm going to take some better shots when it's not sundown.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That lip and those skirts look amazing.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hell yeah black and red interior buddy! :hfive:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I decided to go out into the blizzard last night. I have no idea why people drive around on all season tires during winter.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

G-Mach posted:

I decided to go out into the blizzard last night. I have no idea why people drive around on all season tires during winter.

This was me in my Golf R in the parking lot during lunch break. My first non-FWD car, and my first time on Winter rubber in the snow - I'm both overjoyed to be able to rotate with throttle and stunned by how much grip I'm getting. Snow tires are literally magic.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

siliciferous posted:

This was me in my Golf R in the parking lot during lunch break. My first non-FWD car, and my first time on Winter rubber in the snow - I'm both overjoyed to be able to rotate with throttle and stunned by how much grip I'm getting. Snow tires are literally magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyteepltP4
A small bit of weight in the back goes a long way, too.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

G-Mach posted:

Not everyone can afford two sets of tires, or have a place to store a spare set, or live in places where it's worthwhile to even bother or....

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

G-Mach posted:

Depends. If you live in a climate that provides never ending freeze-thaw cycles during winter, good all-weathers are by far the safest tires unless you want to change wheels every other day. Many really good winter tires terribly sucks on wet or dry roads.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s were pretty good on the dry winter days.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sockington posted:

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s were pretty good on the dry winter days.

In test they're pretty catastrophic on wet roads though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sir Cornelius posted:

Many really good winter tires terribly sucks on wet or dry roads.

That's why when you drive with Winter tires on, you constantly keep that in mind. That way, you're prepared for bad weather and just have to keep your driving sane. Much better to have the capability when the roads turn bad than to get stuck (perhaps literally) when the snow comes down hard.

People bitch about the cost of Winter tires / storage / etc., but if you live in an area that gets legitimate snow, they are cheap insurance. $500 every 3-4 years breaks down to what... $125/year? Find me ANY accident that costs less.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sir Cornelius posted:

In test they're pretty catastrophic on wet roads though.

Hahaha, more true than you know! :eng99:

Almost forgot they were on there for this mess. :3:

Tread pattern shot...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

meatpimp posted:

People bitch about the cost of Winter tires / storage / etc., but if you live in an area that gets legitimate snow, they are cheap insurance. $500 every 3-4 years breaks down to what... $125/year? Find me ANY accident that costs less.

Also you save wear on your summers, which in turn will last much longer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

opengl128 posted:

Also you save wear on your summers, which in turn will last much longer.

And you save your pretty alloy wheels from curb rash.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If winter is a thing where you drive, then you need winter tires. The way the terminology lines up like that makes it easy to remember.

I found this out the hard way.

Wipeout 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

If you're not in a place where winter is, then you don't need winter tires. Again, simple.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Simple physics to winter driving:

1. accelerate, decelerate, or steer...pick one at a time.
2. only about a hand width of your tire is ever touching the ground.
3. friction is a harsh mistress so drive at appropriate speeds for the weather conditions you are facing.
4. awd/4wd will only help you accelerate, it doesn't help with stopping or steering (mostly) so keep that in mind...it doesn't make you superman.
5. the best driving is anticipating conditions ahead of time and not freaking out on the road.

Never had winter tires and have driven rear wheel, front wheel, and all wheel cars in northern michigan, wisconsin, and minnesota with no problems what so ever. Tires are not the end-all-be-all of winter driving.

Right now I'm riding on a set of bridgestone potenza pole position high performance all-seasons and they work just fine. Snow is easy to drive on, to be honest I'm more worried about rain/ice than anything else. In northern michigan there comes a point where they stop plowing and just throw sand on top. So after a few years you get pretty good a driving on snow.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

There are also places and situations with snow where winter tires are not appropriate. I grew up in central NY driving in the snow, but now live in the SF Bay Area and make frequent trips to the mountains in the winter. Considering that its a 200 mile drive to truckee, and over 100 miles of that is typically snow free and over 50 degrees, all seasons are really the best most people can do. Also clearly a large part of the reason for chain control here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's when having an AWD car is nice so you don't have to chain up.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Quick posts of my old cars:

2004 G35 and my old 72 Chevy pickup

My baby (2006 WRX) at Pyramid Lake Nevada in the first pic, and Black Rock Desert (where they hold burning man) in the second.

Had a Chevy Cruz Eco after that, put that as a down payment to my current 2004 Ford F-150

F-150 and the Subaru have definitely been my favorites. The 72 pickup was waaaay too much maintenance and like $30.00 a day just to get to work, and the Infiniti was a lemon with some electrical problem that kept shorting out driver's side window motors.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

When I first saw this picture I was going to ask what it was like driving a rock, then I looked again and noticed the scale of the photo. Nice picture.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

When I first saw this picture I was going to ask what it was like driving a rock, then I looked again and noticed the scale of the photo. Nice picture.

Thanks that was my favorite of the pictures I took.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

meatpimp posted:

That's why when you drive with Winter tires on, you constantly keep that in mind. That way, you're prepared for bad weather and just have to keep your driving sane. Much better to have the capability when the roads turn bad than to get stuck (perhaps literally) when the snow comes down hard.

It's like the same mentality about those that complain about having to put in premium gas in their car. If you can't afford to put the right gas into your car you have some financial problems that you should fix. I understand people that don't live in areas with large snowfall totals not having winter tires and just using all seasons.

I took my STi with all season tires and drove it around when it was snowing and then immediately swapped on winter tires. It was a night and day difference in acceleration, braking, and turning. In reality I'm not worried about my driving I'm worried about those around me not being able to handle the conditions.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CharlesM posted:

That's when having an AWD car is nice so you don't have to chain up.
Or live in some frozen wasteland where you need a different set for tyres for each season.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oh, AI what have I done? :ohdear:

'92 Cadillac Allante'
1 prior owner, 50000 miles

Easily a 7.5/10, full maintenance history and documentation, service manual. Mechanically in perfect condition, minor odds and ends that need addressing like replacing one of the Bose speaker amps (again), sticky glovebox door, driver's doorlock doesn't disarm the alarm, one of the top latch motors needs adjusting, minor paint chips in the lower front bumper, minor swirls in the clearcoat, missing 'Cadillac' script on left rear taillight, etc.

I've always wanted one, and the price/condition ratio was too good to pass up. Appraised at $15000, I paid less than 2/3 of that. Most of the things that need addressing I should be able to fix or live with. My plans are to store it after Christmas until the Spring, then drive it/tinker with it on the weekends.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 24, 2012

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Oxphocker posted:

Simple physics to winter driving:

1. accelerate, decelerate, or steer...pick one at a time.
2. only about a hand width of your tire is ever touching the ground.
3. friction is a harsh mistress so drive at appropriate speeds for the weather conditions you are facing.
4. awd/4wd will only help you accelerate, it doesn't help with stopping or steering (mostly) so keep that in mind...it doesn't make you superman.
5. the best driving is anticipating conditions ahead of time and not freaking out on the road.

Never had winter tires and have driven rear wheel, front wheel, and all wheel cars in northern michigan, wisconsin, and minnesota with no problems what so ever. Tires are not the end-all-be-all of winter driving.

Right now I'm riding on a set of bridgestone potenza pole position high performance all-seasons and they work just fine. Snow is easy to drive on, to be honest I'm more worried about rain/ice than anything else. In northern michigan there comes a point where they stop plowing and just throw sand on top. So after a few years you get pretty good a driving on snow.

If you have never had winter tires what qualifies you to speak intelligently on the subject? Seriously though you should buy a set. Winter tires are a godsend. You can dodge and stop way better than anything on the road with them. That is why I can drive my v8 RWD car all year long. Proper summer and winter tires.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Paul Boz_ posted:

I just picked it up from the body shop. The skirts and lip came out great and you can't tell at all that the passenger fender was damaged. I'm very happy with how it came out!

I'm going to take some better shots when it's not sundown.

I liked your car before the plastics. 'Looked' lighter and nimbler then.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Paul Boz_ posted:

I just picked it up from the body shop.

More power to ya but I've never understood why anyone puts anything aftermarket on the S2000 in terms of bodywork. They look so good stock that I just feel it's wasteful to ruin the factory lines which to me are so lithe and sharp.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Just got a new car on Friday. It's a Kia Rio S, brand new from the dealership thanks to a novated leasing arrangement my work has.

It's the first car I've owned that isn't older than me and, so far, it's been fantastic to drive.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I liked your car before the plastics. 'Looked' lighter and nimbler then.

I agree with this. But if you like it, then that's the point!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

More power to ya but I've never understood why anyone puts anything aftermarket on the S2000 in terms of bodywork. They look so good stock that I just feel it's wasteful to ruin the factory lines which to me are so lithe and sharp.

I was just bored with it to be honest. Same thing with my 300zx TT.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

I was just bored with it to be honest. Same thing with my 300zx TT.

Your ZX was a seam filled Bondo queen at the start screaming, "someone filled me improperly, care to fix?" :3:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got sent over here from the "post what you just bought thread."

Here's my brand new 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye edition, turbo, 6 speed:

So far I love the thing. Doesn't drink much gas, the turbo gives it enough up-and-go to make it fun, and the interior is so stinking nice when comparing the price. I can post more pictures and talk about it more if anyone wants.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Rolo posted:

I can post more pictures and talk about it more if anyone wants.
Mark me down as a 'wants.' I've been thinking of saving up to put a down payment on one. I wasn't a big fan when I saw Dodge's previews, but after seeing one in person it's changing my mind. I drive a 2006 Jetta TDI for reference.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Rolo posted:

Got sent over here from the "post what you just bought thread."

Here's my brand new 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye edition, turbo, 6 speed:

So far I love the thing. Doesn't drink much gas, the turbo gives it enough up-and-go to make it fun, and the interior is so stinking nice when comparing the price. I can post more pictures and talk about it more if anyone wants.

Yeah let's get some interior shots and at least one of the side profile and back

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Which engine/trans configurations did you test out? How different were they?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cool deal, it just started getting dark and rainy here but I'll get some pics and a better review up soon.

kimbo305 posted:

Which engine/trans configurations did you test out? How different were they?

I knew I wanted the 1.4 Turbo so I only tested that in the manual 6 and the automatic with sport shift. The automatic really disappointed me. I don't know how to describe it, it was just too... tame. The manual really felt more responsive and fun to drive so I went with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome! Thanks for coming to AI!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

My Jeep!

Photo taken trying to get the hell out of Silent Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

_firehawk posted:

If you have never had winter tires what qualifies you to speak intelligently on the subject? Seriously though you should buy a set. Winter tires are a godsend. You can dodge and stop way better than anything on the road with them. That is why I can drive my v8 RWD car all year long. Proper summer and winter tires.

I drove to the upper tip of upper peninsula michigan, in the middle of a blizzard, passing in the unplowed lane constantly, on all seasons last winter. I'm sure winter tires are great but if you're a competent driver they are not a requirement.