Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't believe it works properly with Jelly Bean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I guess that would make all the sense. drat it.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
My mom wants to merge her plan, which has my sister's line on it, with mine. Is this possible without paying an ETF?

We're all still under contract.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

supersteve posted:

My mom wants to merge her plan, which has my sister's line on it, with mine. Is this possible without paying an ETF?

We're all still under contract.
Yes as long as all the lines remain active and move to a non-prepaid Verizon Wireless account. This is called an Assumption of Liability or AOL. Call customer service or visit a store to get this done.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Awesome, thanks. Do you know if our individual line upgrade dates remain the same?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

supersteve posted:

Awesome, thanks. Do you know if our individual line upgrade dates remain the same?
Yes they do.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a GNex that just poo poo itself, so I need a replacement. My upgrade isn't until November. Any suggestions on how to spend the least amount of money up front and end up with a RAZR Maxx or something? Add it as a new line and downgrade my GNex line to a dumbphone? I can't swing $650 on an off-contract phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

traveling midget posted:

I have a GNex that just poo poo itself, so I need a replacement. My upgrade isn't until November. Any suggestions on how to spend the least amount of money up front and end up with a RAZR Maxx or something? Add it as a new line and downgrade my GNex line to a dumbphone? I can't swing $650 on an off-contract phone.

You can snag a Gnex for less than $200 used which will be around the same price as the Maxx HD depending on where you get it, obviously going this route saves you $10/month over 2 years but you are taking a gamble with a used phone.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So, I am a proud owner of an unlimited data account. My parents have generously offered to upgrade my phone (an HTC Thunderbolt) to "the newest model" but I feel that the $629.99 for an off-contract Galaxy S3 is quite a bit more money than I would be comfortable with them spending (even as a combined Christmas/Birthday gift). I was considering splitting it ($300 from me, $300 from them) and giving my father the Thunderbolt for him to try out to see if he likes a smartphone or not.

Seem fair? I can just pick up the S3 off Amazon and activate it on my Verizon account for a (relatively) piddling activation fee and keep my unlimited data, correct?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

So, I am a proud owner of an unlimited data account. My parents have generously offered to upgrade my phone (an HTC Thunderbolt) to "the newest model" but I feel that the $629.99 for an off-contract Galaxy S3 is quite a bit more money than I would be comfortable with them spending (even as a combined Christmas/Birthday gift). I was considering splitting it ($300 from me, $300 from them) and giving my father the Thunderbolt for him to try out to see if he likes a smartphone or not.

Seem fair? I can just pick up the S3 off Amazon and activate it on my Verizon account for a (relatively) piddling activation fee and keep my unlimited data, correct?

Correct. I bought a RAZR Maxx HD last Sunday at retail price and and abra kadabrad it onto my line with no hick ups.

I will say this, just make sure you hold the reps hand as the purchase/activation is being doled out. When I was getting mine done, he kept saying that the computer was wanting to put me on a 2gb plan. I had a rage flash to strangle him had that actually happened.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 24, 2012

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

cuedotcom posted:

Correct. I bought a RAZR Maxx HD last Sunday at retail price and and abra kadabrad it onto my line with no hick ups. Even got the activation fee waved cause of my fancy Darden corporate account.

I will say this, just make sure you hold the reps hand as the purchase/activation is being doled out. When I was getting mine done, he kept saying that the computer was wanting to put me on a 2gb plan. I had a rage flash to strangle him had that actually happened.

I'm pretty sure as soon as they remove it for any reason, even by "accident" they can't put it back on in any way. In other words, this is good advice.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
I havent read most of this 200+ page thread, but has an actual verizon employee posted here yet? I'm sort of surprised that hasnt been brought up because a topic like this could use the tips, tricks, advice and work secrets or whatever.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm not going to give them the chance. I'll be purchasing the phone via amazon and calling via home phone for the activation while recording the call to prevent any silliness (which has saved me in the past with cable companies "having no record of that offer"). I don't think I will have much trouble because I've had extremely good luck with calling the official Verizon line vs getting anything done with a franchise which tend to be set up with the sole intention of putting you in a new contract.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Because you're purchasing a device for an unsubsidized price and off-contract, you shouldn't have to pay an activation fee in the first place. That's only for upgrades. Activating a new phone like that is no different than activating one you buy used, it's just a matter of having the rep switch ESN and SIM card numbers and they shouldn't even be prompted to change the data plan unless you're moving from a basic phone to a smartphone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shifty Pony posted:

"Certified preowned" SGS3s are 419 bucks FROM verizon outright. Thats my backup route if I cant find a note2 or sgs3 on the cheap here soon.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think I will have much trouble because I've had extremely good luck with calling the official Verizon line vs getting anything done with a franchise which tend to be set up with the sole intention of putting you in a new contract.

This is exactly why going to a corporate store is a fantastic idea.

Because you're purchasing a device for an unsubsidized price and off-contract, you shouldn't have to pay an activation fee in the first place. That's only for upgrades. Activating a new phone like that is no different than activating one you buy used, it's just a matter of having the rep switch ESN and SIM card numbers and they shouldn't even be prompted to change the data plan unless you're moving from a basic phone to a smartphone.

__

@Lblitzer You're right. This is my 4th phone this year, I suppose I'm getting dizzy keeping up with what fees are for which. >_<

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 24, 2012

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

cuedotcom posted:

Correct. I bought a RAZR Maxx HD last Sunday at retail price and and abra kadabrad it onto my line with no hick ups.

Conversely, I just activated my ebay purchased iPhone 5 over the phone and the guy didn't even ask me about changing data plans. He just acknowledged I was on unlimited and said "I'm assuming you wanted to keep that."

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a weird one. In my immediate area, Verizon cell service is pretty much non-existent. And when I mean immediate area, I mean immediate. I live in a pretty well populated area, too; this is not rural Arkansas. Anyway, here's the two oddities:

1) Blazing 4g service at 4 bars literally 1 block away from my house. I mean literally a 2 minute walk in any direction. As soon as you pull up to my home, your Verizon service goes from 4 bars of 4g to zero bars of 0g. Making a phone call is possible but barely. Forget about data and holy hell forget about an MMS.

2) at around 8-9PM almost every single night...BAM! 4 bars of 4g in my home. :wtf: I called Verizon about this 3 years ago and they've still yet to do anything. I don't blame them because it only affects like 20 homes in a neighborhood with 40k people but still. It's the weirdest thing.

We bought a Samsung network extender 3 years ago and while it works pretty good, it does not have 3g or 4g so sending an MMS is impossible. Also, for some reason my phone only works with it when I am right near it (my wife's iPhone 4 works fine anywhere in the house, though).

Would I be better off buying one of those wacky things that hangs on the roof or side of my house? I think it will "grab" the cell signal and strengthen it into my home if I am not mistaken. I would buy the newest Samsung network extender but I'm a bit annoyed they still haven't made a 4g one; and I'm also a bit annoyed that a device connected to my internet router would still be eating my "data usage" even though it's going through a friggin' router.

Anyone ever hear of this and can give a recommendation on the better route to go here?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think I will have much trouble because I've had extremely good luck with calling the official Verizon line vs getting anything done with a franchise which tend to be set up with the sole intention of putting you in a new contract.

Honestly, the store makes anywhere from $10 to $40 selling a phone that cost them around 500-600 to have in inventory, they would rather you did as well. :)

Hell, a customer can walk into an apple store and outright purchase a 4S for $10 less than they sell them to us.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Mighty Horse posted:

Honestly, the store makes anywhere from $10 to $40 selling a phone that cost them around 500-600 to have in inventory, they would rather you did as well. :)

Hell, a customer can walk into an apple store and outright purchase a 4S for $10 less than they sell them to us.

Quoted for truth. Apple is a bastard when it comes to selling to resellers with all of their products, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Macs, etc.

The razor thin margins are part of the reason VZW had to abandon New Every Two, and has implemented $30 upgrade fees. When I used to manage a RadioShack, of one of my employees sold an iPod without any accessories, it was essentially a negative profit sale for my store once you accounted for wages, lease/insurance costs, distribution costs, and all the other overhead crap.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't Apple play favorites too, by giving volume rebates to preferred retailers?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Verizon just dropped the OTA JB update for Razr/Razr Maxx and immediately pulled it. I'm about to side load it and report if it makes my phone blow up.

Really a pleasant surprise, I was expecting the update to come out in the Spring.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got a iPhone 5 for Xmas, totally taken by surprise!

The thing though is that I was planning to go buy the VZW equivalent of the Nexus 4 (some LG thing isn't it?). This phone was custom ordered so it's unactivated and in the shrink wrap. Will a Verizon store trade it?

E: Ah thanks, a friend told me the Optimus G = nexus 4 but I hadn't done my research yet. The galaxy note might be a little big for me and I'll have to do some more research on the DNA. Can't activate it until tomorrow anyway (need to jump through some hoops to keep my unlimited data)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 25, 2012

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

ACID POLICE posted:

I got a iPhone 5 for Xmas, totally taken by surprise!

The thing though is that I was planning to go buy the VZW equivalent of the Nexus 4 (some LG thing isn't it?). This phone was custom ordered so it's unactivated and in the shrink wrap. Will a Verizon store trade it?

The LG Spectrum 2 is not the equivalent to the Nexus4, letalone the Optimus G. Spec2 has a wonderful screen but I dont think you really wanted a rebadged Optimus LTE 2. I might be one of the few people who like the Spectrum 2, well besides the comical power button.

Quad cores on VZW are the Droid DNA and Galaxy Note 2.

Oh, and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to you all.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Been using a Nokia 822 as a 2nd phone over the past week.

...It's not terrible. App store is really really lacking, and the quality of some of the apps that are in there are quite awful.

But for a (now) Free phone it does blow any of the freebee Android models Stellar, Lucid, Etc out of the water.

LaptopGun posted:

I might be one of the few people who like the Spectrum 2, well besides the comical power button.

I like it too, this time around they kept the software fuckery that ruined the (otherwise good) Spectrum 1 to a minimum, the hardware is good, built well, has a look to it that actually is different but still looks nice.

Nobody will give it a fair shake though because its an LG.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 26, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

Consumer perception is everything.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Oh, I forgot to ask, and hopefully a Verizon employee can answer - I currently have unlimited data on my iPhone 4. I'm on a family plan and apparently I can activate my new phone on another line on my plan that doesn't have, let it activate and be attached to that line for 24 hours (is this really necessary at all or can I just switch it right after activating it on that line?), then move it to my line and keep my unlimited data.

This is what I heard from my dad who was trying to figure out how to let me and my mom keep our unlimited data plans. If there's a simpler solution or one that doesn't require kicking another phone off the plan for a whole day, that would be awesome.

(Also does the person with the other line need to be present with me when I do this, or can I do it all by myself at a Verizon location?)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ACID POLICE posted:

Oh, I forgot to ask, and hopefully a Verizon employee can answer - I currently have unlimited data on my iPhone 4. I'm on a family plan and apparently I can activate my new phone on another line on my plan that doesn't have, let it activate and be attached to that line for 24 hours (is this really necessary at all or can I just switch it right after activating it on that line?), then move it to my line and keep my unlimited data.

This is what I heard from my dad who was trying to figure out how to let me and my mom keep our unlimited data plans. If there's a simpler solution or one that doesn't require kicking another phone off the plan for a whole day, that would be awesome.

(Also does the person with the other line need to be present with me when I do this, or can I do it all by myself at a Verizon location?)

A corp rep can do it in store, right then and there. The line signing the contract loses unlimited, Not the line getting the phone.

Make sense?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The leaked/accidental JB update has given my Razr that "new phone" feel and I'm not seeing any major issues with it. I wonder when the official OTA was supposed to come out.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I can activate it on a line and then immediately transfer the phone to a different line, and walk out of the place with both our phones working properly?

Really what I'm asking is if the 24 hour period where he'd not be able to use his phone is bullshit.

e: rad, thanks for the help everyone!

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 28, 2012

modig
Aug 20, 2002

ACID POLICE posted:

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I can activate it on a line and then immediately transfer the phone to a different line, and walk out of the place with both our phones working properly?

Really what I'm asking is if the 24 hour period where he'd not be able to use his phone is bullshit.

I got the 24 hour line when I tried to keep my unlimited plan. I gave in since I'd never come close to 2gb.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ACID POLICE posted:

The sim card takes 24 hours to deactivate, You can get a new sim and activate it immediately on the other line.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

The sim card takes 24 hours to deactivate, You can get a new sim and activate it immediately on the other line.
The SIM should come out of aging status and be usable again by 7:00 AM EST the next day so it might not be a whole 24 hours.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Mighty Horse posted:

Been using a Nokia 822 as a 2nd phone over the past week.

...It's not terrible. App store is really really lacking, and the quality of some of the apps that are in there are quite awful.

But for a (now) Free phone it does blow any of the freebee Android models Stellar, Lucid, Etc out of the water.

I like it too, this time around they kept the software fuckery that ruined the (otherwise good) Spectrum 1 to a minimum, the hardware is good, built well, has a look to it that actually is different but still looks nice.

cuedotcom posted:

Consumer perception is everything.

The Nokia is now free on contract from corporate stores. It's one Hell of a "value pick" if you have to have a free smartphone.

LG's perception with buyers kills LG. They ought to be a viable alternative to the Samsungs of the world, but at least when it comes to American market they really did burn through a lot of goodwill with problems.

The Spectrum 1's battery life was comically short even by first or 1.5 generation LTE phone standards. When you can only beat the Thunderbolt and Breakout (maybe the Revolution), I'd call that a bit of a problem. No amount of software un-fuckery was ever going to fix that.

I really do like the Spectrum 2. That screen remains dropdead gorgeous and now LG's "don't call me Optimus because this is Verizon" UI has some cool tweaks. The hardware feels classy in your hand. Only problem I see with it is I bought my S3 all of 4 months before I could have purchased it. Oh, and it's an LG. There we go again. If and when Verizon offers a version of the Optimus G, maybe LG could dig itself out of that hole of bad perception.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

LaptopGun posted:

I really do like the Spectrum 2. That screen remains dropdead gorgeous and now LG's "don't call me Optimus because this is Verizon" UI has some cool tweaks. The hardware feels classy in your hand. Only problem I see with it is I bought my S3 all of 4 months before I could have purchased it. Oh, and it's an LG. There we go again. If and when Verizon offers a version of the Optimus G, maybe LG could dig itself out of that hole of bad perception.

I swapped over from Verizon to AT&T for the Optimus G, because it basically seems like the perfect device. I went through a total of four before saying gently caress you forever to LG.

First device developed 20+ dead pixels in less than two days of using it, second device had the worst backlight bleeding I've ever seen on anything in my whole life, third device had 5 dead pixels from the get go and the forth kept hard-locking and refused to acknowledge it had a GPS receiver in it.

I hate LG so much.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

\

The Spectrum 1's battery life was comically short even by first or 1.5 generation LTE phone standards. When you can only beat the Thunderbolt and Breakout (maybe the Revolution), I'd call that a bit of a problem. No amount of software un-fuckery was ever going to fix that.

It was way better after you rooted and killed all the bloat. Not great, but comparable to the other phones around at the time.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

The SIM should come out of aging status and be usable again by 7:00 AM EST the next day so it might not be a whole 24 hours.

Does it really even take that long? In a lot of instances where I've heard this "it may be up to 24 hours", I find it takes about 15 minutes.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Fallom posted:

The leaked/accidental JB update has given my Razr that "new phone" feel and I'm not seeing any major issues with it. I wonder when the official OTA was supposed to come out.

Just installed it on my Razr Maxx, and so far everything is working great (even managed to keep root). Phone feels faster and not as laggy as before.

Only thing I had to do was find a new weather widget since they removed the stock one, but that is a minor inconvenience.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
So this morning I woke up to my father telling me "Oh hey, the Verizon rep called, I'm saving us :tenbux: a month by switching us too a 2g cap per month!"
So the verizon rep told my dad that we were using ~1g/m, neglecting to say that that included the 7 years of not having smartphones. We had a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and for the past few months I've been hitting 6-8g through tethering, netflix, and the like.

Am I forced to say goodbye to the unlimited plan forever, or do I have a grace period to revert his gently caress up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Munnin The Crab posted:

So this morning I woke up to my father telling me "Oh hey, the Verizon rep called, I'm saving us :tenbux: a month by switching us too a 2g cap per month!"
So the verizon rep told my dad that we were using ~1g/m, neglecting to say that that included the 7 years of not having smartphones. We had a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and for the past few months I've been hitting 6-8g through tethering, netflix, and the like.

Am I forced to say goodbye to the unlimited plan forever, or do I have a grace period to revert his gently caress up?

Call and tell them they were lied to or something. Then cross your fingers.

• Locked thread