Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Caitlin posted:

I am in love with your Arino Snake Man, zari-gani. Overly in love.

Then again, I'm the only idiot I know of with a Snake Man tattoo. :v:

No way, that's awesome. Snake Man is arguably the best Robot Master.

In case you're interested in what kind of books the staff were selling, here's what I could pick out from the photos...

Kan's books:
"Traveling China": a travel guide to China focusing on people and locations featured in TV dramas and movies.
"The Law of Luck and Fortune Nobody Told Me": basically talking about how luck is not something you wait for, but make for yourself.
"Excel! The Art of Work": how to be more productive in every day life.

Inoue's books:
"Forgotten Snow": A love story between a couple brought together by a homeless puppy in the snow.
"The Other Side of Midnight": by American writer Sidney Sheldon. "A woman caught in a web of four lives intertwined by passion as her handsome husband pursues an incredibly beautiful film star."
"Lights Off Television vol 5": A collection of columns about the TV industry by a famous essayist.

Kibe's books:
"Hitoshi Matsumoto's Rage: Red Edition": An essay by famous comedian Matsumoto of Downtown about when and why to be angry.
"Hate it or Love it": Another essay by Matsumoto about things he likes and things he hates -- everything from rotating sushi bars to plasma TV to chinese dresses.
"A Stranger in the Mirror:" by American writer Sidney Sheldon. "The novel tells the life story of two fictitious Hollywood celebrities and portrays the emotional extremes of success and failure and how people inevitably become victims of time."
"The President's Caliber": what it takes to be a good company president.
"Shinigami-kun": An old manga from the early 80's about a kid reaper.

Arino and Tanii's books:
A whole ton of manga.

DiscoJ posted:

A bunch of photos

What good timing! Thanks for the nice shot of my poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Caitlin posted:

Then again, I'm the only idiot I know of with a Snake Man tattoo. :v:

You used the wrong emotion there. I think you meant :shobon: since that's pretty dang cool. I don't think I could pull that off.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why are they having a garage sale at a fan event?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Charity Bazaar

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, Survive Style 5+ is a rad movie.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Kibe's books:

I think I love Kibe even more. He seems like such a cool guy. Plus, he writes the absolute best lines for Kan.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Finally caught up with the thread again! I got behind on the show around the end of the last thread when I was without an internet connection for a few months, and didn't start catching up until a few months ago.

I have a question about the Ninja Gaiden II episode on the DVD. Just after 1:03:35 when one of the staff members tells Arino he only has two health points left in the area with a bunch of fireballs, the video and audio glitch out for a second or two. I still had the SA Team version of the episode so I checked the same spot, and it doesn't happen in the fansub and thus isn't a problem with the source footage. Is this a problem with all copies of the DVD, or just an error with my specific copy? If it's just my copy I'll try to get in contact with Discotek to get a replacement because I'm anal about these kinds of things.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Wow, not one but two staff writers reading Sidney Sheldon. I'm oddly impressed.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Is this a problem with all copies of the DVD
Most likely yes. It happens on my copy.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Someone wrote this in their Twitter (translated from Japanese):

"Now that it's over, I have a confession. A little past 1PM, I went to the main event to get my stamp paper. I hadn't finished collecting all the stamps, but I happened to overhear a staff member saying 'It's Demodori! Demodori!' to a foreigner who couldn't solve it, and completely spoiled it for me. <3"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

drat lazy immigrants taking our jobs and limited edition holiday cards.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Haha, that was too early to be us but the same could've happened when we did go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DiscoJ posted:

Haha, that was too early to be us but the same could've happened when we did go.

I like that there's enough western fans of GCCX going to these events now that there's two groups of people that this happened to. :)

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

To be fair when I was lining up to get my stamp sheet the Japanese dude in front of me couldn't figure it out and the staff member was pointing at Tojima in a non-unsubtle way to try to get the guesser to notice. Spoilers all around!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Judging from some of the tweets, it seems like a lot of Japanese fans couldn't figure out the culprit. Even after knowing it was "Demodori."

Random Stranger posted:

I like that there's enough western fans of GCCX going to these events now that there's two groups of people that this happened to. :)

Some guy fessed up to being the foreigner mentioned in that tweet. Turns out the guy is online friends with one of my friends who recently moved to Tokyo. Who ended up going to the event (she's never watched GCCX; she just knows about it through me). Who ended up giving my business card and mascot badge to one of the staff members. Apparently they gave her things to pass along to me? :stare: Probably a holiday card. It's a small world...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

GCCXX is probably one of the few Japanese shows you can watch and get some enjoyment out of without knowing any Japanese.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

In the third post of the thread, there's mention of a special episode where Arino takes on the first GCCX DS game. I know it was said that it probably wouldn't be translated, but I think I might want to watch it regardless. However, that post only has a dead multiupload link, and the episode does not appear to be listed in the master list (unless I can't read, which is certainly possible). Are you guys planning on putting that episode in a torrent, or should I take a look for it myself?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

In the third post of the thread, there's mention of a special episode where Arino takes on the first GCCX DS game. I know it was said that it probably wouldn't be translated, but I think I might want to watch it regardless. However, that post only has a dead multiupload link, and the episode does not appear to be listed in the master list (unless I can't read, which is certainly possible). Are you guys planning on putting that episode in a torrent, or should I take a look for it myself?

I'm not going to reupload it for the moment. The next time you see it from us (and that may be some time, if ever) it'll have been translated.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not going to reupload it for the moment. The next time you see it from us (and that may be some time, if ever) it'll have been translated.

Alright, thanks for the response. I've only been watching for about a month, so I have a good backlog of other episodes to work through. I also just ordered the DS game for myself, so it'd probably be good to play it before watching that one anyway.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

zari-gani posted:

Some guy fessed up to being the foreigner mentioned in that tweet. Turns out the guy is online friends with one of my friends who recently moved to Tokyo. Who ended up going to the event (she's never watched GCCX; she just knows about it through me). Who ended up giving my business card and mascot badge to one of the staff members. Apparently they gave her things to pass along to me? :stare: Probably a holiday card. It's a small world...
That was me, but I retracted it later since, like DiscoJ said, it couldn't have been our group. But yes, I do know your friend, and I wish I had known she was going to be there since I wanted to say hi.

But it was pretty cool to see some of the other staff members feel legitimately pleased to learn of so many foreigners watching the show. One of them even wanted to take a picture of our group but he thought it might have been dangerous or an invasion of privacy or something.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

xamphear posted:

Most likely yes. It happens on my copy.

Thanks for the response, glad I don't have to worry about it then.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I knew sometime ago that the link to that GCCX episode was dead. I have posted a link to that video a few times in the thread already. Here is a link to the raw video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQCHrM5gl0E

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

leather fedora posted:

That was me, but I retracted it later since, like DiscoJ said, it couldn't have been our group. But yes, I do know your friend, and I wish I had known she was going to be there since I wanted to say hi.

I didn't even know she was going. I mentioned the event to her but she didn't tell me she was going to go, and the next day she went "hey I gave them some stuff and they gave me some stuff for you." The female staff member she spoke to got a picture taken with her and is going to send it to me apparently (the staff).

leather fedora posted:

But it was pretty cool to see some of the other staff members feel legitimately pleased to learn of so many foreigners watching the show. One of them even wanted to take a picture of our group but he thought it might have been dangerous or an invasion of privacy or something.

Oh Japan. I do love their respect for privacy, but sometimes I feel they take it too far... But I'm also happy to know the staff is feeling the international love.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 23, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Merry Christmas fans of Japanese mechanical arcade games. Enjoy the classic Mountain Climbing Game as seen in several episodes of Game Center CX.

Yes, that is actually its title. I couldn't believe it either.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

Merry Christmas fans of Japanese mechanical arcade games. Enjoy the classic Mountain Climbing Game as seen in several episodes of Game Center CX.

gently caress that stupid cobra.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The kid in the Takeshi's Castle episode could do it in under 13 seconds but I think he could hit that button sixteen times a second.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

gently caress the random falling rocks after that stupid cobra.
Fixed that for ya. ;)

Which episode was this featured on? I kinda remember seeing it, but not really... It is a pretty fun game, though, and I do wish I had more time to play it, but I gotta get to bed early tonight with it being Christmas Eve and all.

VVV It was Takeshi's Castle. Thanks! :) Also, that kid who did it probably cheated. :saddowns:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 24, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Obeast posted:

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Which episode was this featured on?

I saw it just the other day while rewatching some old episodes so it was either in Paris-Dakar or Takeshi's Castle. Pretty sure it was the former.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Random Stranger posted:

The kid in the Takeshi's Castle episode could do it in under 13 seconds but I think he could hit that button sixteen times a second.

He must have gotten button mashing tips from Master Takahashi. That's a pretty professional maneuver for a kid.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I hate those bees. The only time I got past them I was struck by lightning.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
In case anyone else is going 'wait, how do you play this?': after you click 'insert coin', use left arrow to advance and right arrow to retreat.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Random Stranger posted:

gently caress the goddamn lightning.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FredMSloniker posted:

In case anyone else is going 'wait, how do you play this?': after you click 'insert coin', use left arrow to advance and right arrow to retreat.

Protip: Dont insert your coin until the bridge is broken, then you can run straight across it without waiting and usually get past the bees too!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Quick shot of the goodies in the new DVD Box 9:

L-R: business card as usual; thick sticker with anniversary logo; paper desk calendar that counts down to GCCX's tenth anniversary and has other notable dates (staff birthdays and special trips)

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
I received the gift of the Retro Game Master DVD set today for Xmas.

It's a Christmas miracle!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Famibomb posted:

I received the gift of the Retro Game Master DVD set today for Xmas.

It's a Christmas miracle!

I did too, can't wait to watch it!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I need to ask for it as a gift. What was that one website that had it for $30?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Last night I had a dream that you guys released an episode today and I was downloading it. Of all the things in the world I could dream about on Christmas my brain chose GCCX.

Now I want to see Arino wear a Santa suit and say "Santa ON!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Vlaphor posted:

I need to ask for it as a gift. What was that one website that had it for $30?

That was probably Deepdiscount, but it's not currently that low.