Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I wasn't big on My Education's previous albums. By no means bad, but wasn't something I listened to very much. Their latest, A Drink For All My Friends, is quite a bit better. I just picked it up and have been really enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV7pzIPSXis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I made a discovery today. I don't know if I've mentioned the post-rock facebook page, but it's very good and you should all subscribe. Additionally, here's a website I hadn't heard of AND two polls you should do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I made a discovery today. I don't know if I've mentioned the post-rock facebook page, but it's very good and you should all subscribe. Additionally, here's a website I hadn't heard of AND two polls you should do.

I don't think I've heard of any of those new artists and I've only heard like 10 of those albums. Am I terrible post-rock fan? :ohdear:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I had the exact same reaction. This is by far the best list of anything I've ever seen. Time to go through it one band at a time. :haw:

Update: I'll have to slow this project down because my wallet can only buy so many albums.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 7, 2012

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
99% of post-rock is boring/poo poo/both, let's not kid ourselves.

e: speaking of which i saw mono tonight and was totally underwhelmed, who wants to hang out

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 9, 2012

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Who the gently caress names their postrock band Autism?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

Who the gently caress names their postrock band Autism?

Instead of the forgettable album title they chose, Falling Motion, they should have gone with something more creative like Withyouathome's Our Lives Are All Very Forgettable Events In The Universe. That would have been a great album artist / album title combo :v:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Oh hell no I am not getting sucked in today guys, I have poo poo to do.

I did listen to the new Gifts from Enola album and wow they went downhill really fast.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chunkles posted:

I did listen to the new Gifts from Enola album and wow they went downhill really fast.

Not that they had far to fall. They had a couple alright tracks but it's some of the least nuanced post-rock I've ever heard, and completely fails at building a soundscape or a good texture. I didn't pick up the latest, but what would you say went wrong with it?

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 11, 2012

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Not that they had far to fall. They had a couple alright tracks but it's some of the least nuanced post-rock I've ever heard, and completely fails at building a soundscape or a good texture. I didn't pick up the latest, but what would you say went wrong with it?

Oh man I am the wrong guy to articulate things about music. I just really hate it along with their last album. No interesting instrumentation, lots of screaming/whispered lyrics that don't really add anything. You can stream it for free on their website (it's on the bottom) Gifts from Enola

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Here's a new album coming out in a few days: MEAN - Knowing. It's by the guitarist from Jakob and the drummer from Kerretta. Really digging the sample tracks.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

chunkles posted:

Here's a new album coming out in a few days: MEAN - Knowing. It's by the guitarist from Jakob and the drummer from Kerretta. Really digging the sample tracks.

I'm really concerned that they kept extending the cut-off date for the vinyl and now the page says nothing about it. Hopefully it all went well, I really want it :saddowns:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Anyone know of any good post rock related DVDs? Full live shows, things like that.

I gave my dad Sigur Ros's Heima for christmas last year and I think he really liked it and I want to follow that up this year - something else along those lines would be really cool, maybe of a lesser known band?

thanks yall

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

slardel posted:

Anyone know of any good post rock related DVDs? Full live shows, things like that.

I gave my dad Sigur Ros's Heima for christmas last year and I think he really liked it and I want to follow that up this year - something else along those lines would be really cool, maybe of a lesser known band?

thanks yall

Mono's Holy Ground is beautiful. Not visually like Heima, but the sounds are. It's their 10th anniversary show in NYC where they had a full orchestra accompany them. It really lends to their sound and makes the whole thing sound really grandiose and cinematic. Plus they play several of their best songs in it.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

^^ that looks perfect, thanks!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I took my dad to a Mono show and he still regards it as one of the best things he's ever seen. The DVD isn't the best quality but it definitely showcases them at their peak.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S0h83rTOuA0

Not mine, but I really dig it. Skip the first 30 seconds. 2:30 and 6:40 are excellent.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Mean got its full release today, and it is brilliant. A bit heavier than most post rock but god drat this will more than do me until the next Jakob album comes out.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Emma Ruth Rundle (Red Sparowes) is selling some guitars!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I got really confused reading the last.fm page about MEAN. They met with Lily Allen and opened for Freezepop? Uh, okay... Oh, that's a different band.

david puddy posted:

Mean got its full release today, and it is brilliant. A bit heavier than most post rock but god drat this will more than do me until the next Jakob album comes out.

Heavier? Like volume heavier? Because I didn't really get that from the album.

Loved it though, everybody go check it out.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

chunkles posted:

Heavier? Like volume heavier? Because I didn't really get that from the album.

Loved it though, everybody go check it out.
It is definitely louder than a lot of post rock. I also got an email from Midium Records saying the LP will ship this week :woop:

e: This Will Destroy You just announced an Australian tour :allears:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 18, 2012

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://themylenesheath.bandcamp.com/album/winter-2013-label-sampler

Sampler from the Mylene Sheath

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New ASIWYFA song. Don't like it as much as their last album on first listen, although it sounds like it should be fun live, which is what those guys are all about.

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/asiwyfa-like-a-mouse

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
https://www.facebook.com/codesintheclouds

Codes in the Clouds are giving away some tunes tonight for Christmas

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any good end-of-year lists now that Silent Ballet is no more?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

The facebook page is going to put out a couple lists.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

if Waking Season isn't the top then I'm going to be so mad. even more so if Red Forest comes above it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cool to see Dumbsaint on there, they're a local band for me. Also Fade by Cloudkicker is a pretty good album, I ordered it just for the artwork really but the music surprised me:

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Junkenstein posted:

New ASIWYFA song. Don't like it as much as their last album on first listen, although it sounds like it should be fun live, which is what those guys are all about.

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/asiwyfa-like-a-mouse
There's a 45sound recording of one of the other tracks from their new album on up youtube. It's called Ambulance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnxkj-KZI4

Sounds like they are going in Adebisi Shank/Battles/Fang Island kinda way which isn't a bad thing I don't think.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

david puddy posted:

Cool to see Dumbsaint on there, they're a local band for me. Also Fade by Cloudkicker is a pretty good album, I ordered it just for the artwork really but the music surprised me:

I couldn't get into this album at all, which is a shame, because I really liked Let Yourself Be Huge.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

david puddy posted:

Beacons is a great album by Cloudkicker

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Woah, that Cloudkicker is pretty awesome. Seems that's just one guy doing it by himself, which is pretty drat impressive.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Someone wrote the drums for him on Fade. You can hear the difference if you're used to his style from the previous albums. A few of the more off-kilter beats stick out as being very "him" though, so maybe he just had some help writing the more normal parts.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Thank you for linking this. There's no way I'm ever going to go through those lists systematically (I didn't recognise a single name from the new artists one), but if it weren't for this I would have never known that O released a new album.

http://alertaantifascistarecords.bandcamp.com/album/aa79-o-black-sea-of-trees-2

No yeah, that's fine guys, as though naming your band a single loving letter didn't make it hard enough to keep track of you, you didn't even update your blog which I made a point of following after your amazing demo, and then you went and posted your new album on your label's bandcamp page instead of your own, which jesus christ does anyone else hate when artists do that? You can't even look at that particular artist's discography that way, and the artist link just goes to the label's crappy website half the time, or in this case doomrock.com which may not even be a label as they just kind of sell any old poo poo as far as I can tell. God. Rant over.

Edit: Okay, I'm pretty confident that's the first time I've ever heard a post-rock album transition into black metal... and they made it work somehow. I guess just skip the last track if you're not into that, but wow, this is already a really good album and I just finished my first listen. Granted about half of it is just re-recorded tracks from their demo, but they finessed them so well that they almost sound entirely fresh in parts. It shifts from uplifting and serene to desolate and despairing and nails both, then caps the whole thing off with a crushing metal epilogue. Yeah, I'm going to be listening to this a whole lot.

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 26, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ohms, if you're still reading this thread, just wanted to tell you your CD never fails to impress. I had my iPod on shuffle during lunch and Singularity came on. I didn't know what it was at first but all I could think was "holy poo poo, this owns! what is this?", and sure enough, it was Spaces! That's not the first time that's happened either, but with different songs.

So keep up the good work, dude :D

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://www.facebook.com/notes/post-rock/post-rock-listeners-choice-2012-best-releases-of-the-year-and-best-new-artist-fi/10151166929881086

Post-Rock FB page posted their end of year stuff. Sigur Ros/GYBE were always gonna come top so I'm glad Caspian came 3rd. Still don't think Red Forest or For My Parents were that good though.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Good poo poo. Glad to see Leech and pg.lost up there. Also near the bottom are 417.3 who I don't really care for but I remember because they have pretty short song titles. Here is the track listing from the #43 album on that list, "2"

quote:

1. >
2. 516
3. 16
4. //
5. 700
Listening to that album it's actually better than what I heard from their first album, but good luck googling any of that.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chunkles posted:

Good poo poo. Glad to see Leech and pg.lost up there. Also near the bottom are 417.3 who I don't really care for but I remember because they have pretty short song titles. Here is the track listing from the #43 album on that list, "2"

Listening to that album it's actually better than what I heard from their first album, but good luck googling any of that.

They don't really "do" letters. That said, I quite like them, but I wish they'd rock out a little more.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/post-rock/post-rock-listeners-choice-2012-best-releases-of-the-year-and-best-new-artist-fi/10151166929881086

Post-Rock FB page posted their end of year stuff. Sigur Ros/GYBE were always gonna come top so I'm glad Caspian came 3rd. Still don't think Red Forest or For My Parents were that good though.

Agreed about For my Parents. Legend I think, is the first Mono track that I actively dislike.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm really sad to see Marriages's Kitsune not on the list. I'd argue that they're kind of fringe post-rock, in that they're only really lumped in there because there's nowhere else to put them and they're a Red Sparowes offshoot, but I think Kitsune was the best album of 2012.

The whole thing be here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLHhAVYuF4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I somehow missed the fact that Do Make Say Think did an album in '09; it's four songs of ~10 minutes each ("Do", "Make", "Say", and "Think" :effort: ) and is fantastic, possibly even better than Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead which used to be my favorite thing of theirs.

It's very weird to have been out of the habit of checking up on post-rock bands for so long and being at a point where none of my friends listen to it at all. I didn't hear about the new GY!BE album until a month after it released, whereas in the early 00's that kind of thing would have resulted in everyone I know calling me. But it leads to pleasant surprises like that. :)