Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Ha, there's a new Brutal Doom build in the works, and it's adding one of those 'straight out of my 12-year-old mind' features.

As opposed to all of the others? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

As opposed to all of the others? :v:

Well, some are just cool 'why does nobody else think of that?' features, like enemies getting knocked down by non-lethal explosions, or plasma weapons actually behaving like explosions of superheated gas.

This is totally a 12-year-old feature, and I completely approve. Kicking demons in the balls then flipping them off is inherently awesome.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

btw, re: software lightning method or whatever...

Setting sector lighting to software just seemed to make the level I was on ridiculously dark, and some other levels it just made a few areas lighter.

Is there a guide to GZDoom settings in general? There are like 23589025790257235230795253 options, and I really have no loving idea what I should be tinkering with for maximum awesome.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

victrix posted:

Is there a guide to GZDoom settings in general? There are like 23589025790257235230795253 options, and I really have no loving idea what I should be tinkering with for maximum awesome.

The ZDoom wiki should cover all options if you look through the "console" and "menus" articles.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Well, some are just cool 'why does nobody else think of that?' features, like enemies getting knocked down by non-lethal explosions, or plasma weapons actually behaving like explosions of superheated gas.

This is totally a 12-year-old feature, and I completely approve. Kicking demons in the balls then flipping them off is inherently awesome.

In Double Dragon (SNES version) if you grabbed and throw an enemy (only the lowest type), they get pissed and start attacking faster too. I like that kind of stuff for Doom. Also Imps becoming Skaarjs? Oh my, this is going to be scary :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Since its not being talked about anywhere else, have a new trailer for ROTT 2013!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2qFN_0PzI

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

Since its not being talked about anywhere else, have a new trailer for ROTT 2013!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2qFN_0PzI

Jesus Christ. I really didn't understand how much of a nostalgia hard-on I had for ROTT until now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So cchest4 fell apart for me part way through, any other suggestions for Brutal Doom friendly wadpacks?

I really really like dtwid, but I find I an missing the double barrel and the extra enemies from D2 when I'm playing dtwid LE at the moment

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dominic White posted:

Ha, there's a new Brutal Doom build in the works, and it's adding one of those 'straight out of my 12-year-old mind' features. You can kick humanoid enemies in the crotch to stun them for a few seconds, but if you don't kill them in that time, then they get pissed off and fire more rapidly.

Brutal Doom Best Doom.

In other news, holy poo poo the end of Installation Decrepit in cc4 is insane. I can't imagine going for 100% UV kills in Brutal Doom.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I'm actually more excited for this new ROTT game than I am for Doom 4.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I think I'm actually more excited for this new ROTT game than I am for Doom 4.

Probably because ROTT is actively trying to capture the spirit of the original, whereas Doom is trying to become something it never was.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
That does remind me, I wish Wolfenstein (the remake everyone forgot about/is trying to forget) was a bit better polished. The powers were fun and the enemies were pretty cool, for the most part, and the weapons and upgrades were great. It just lacked... oomph.

Rise of the Triad still makes me moist.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The main problem I had with Refueling Base is that The Pit is such a huge ammo dump, and entering that level with five shells, 40 bullets, and two rockets is such a pain in the rear end.

Hi there, apologies in advance for being objectively unreasonable but you are playing the game wrong.

The best way to play doom, by far, is to reset to only having a pistol upon death. It really makes you appreciate the item placement. Every level in the game is, in my opinion, designed around this, and it enhances the flow immeasurably.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JackMackerel posted:

That does remind me, I wish Wolfenstein (the remake everyone forgot about/is trying to forget) was a bit better polished. The powers were fun and the enemies were pretty cool, for the most part, and the weapons and upgrades were great. It just lacked... oomph.

I've loved every Wolfenstein game, does Return to Castle Wolfestein count as an early FPS, or just a bit too late?

I am also super excited for the new RotT. Especially since the only "modern old-school FPS" I've played was Dark Salvation and it was utter, utter poo poo.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Speaking of the ROTT remake, another remixed track showed up on Soundcloud, a metal version of Smoke and Mirrors:

https://soundcloud.com/rott-music

Also holy crap the video of the new "smarter" Imps in Brutal Doom just cracks me up with all the hopping they do while trying to dodge rockets; I imagine some of the more heavily-populated custom maps will end up having entire mobs of them bunnyhopping in complete synch like some kind of demonic line dance.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Just wanted to tell a nice story about Christmas and early FPS gaming. I played a little bit of Brutal Doom at a family gathering tonight, and a younger kid (not young enough that I'd feel bad exposing him to that kind of gore) was watching and talking to me about the games I like and stuff. As he and his family were getting ready to leave, I heard him ask his dad to dig out some his older games because they looked like a lot of fun. :3:

EDIT: Holy dog balls, that ROTT trailer. Never has a video game had me this excited before. NEVER.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 25, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

At some point Brutal Doom is practically going to become its own game.

I'd really like to see him try his hand at making a high resolution sprite set since he has a good track record for making his additions look completely natural.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Every level in the game is, in my opinion, designed around this
They had to be - there was no autosave in the original DOS versions of the game, so if you died the level restarted with a pistol start.

catlord posted:

I've loved every Wolfenstein game, does Return to Castle Wolfestein count as an early FPS, or just a bit too late?
I sort of figured Quake 3 as being the furthest this thread should go, but I don't think anyone would be bothered by discussing Q3-engine games like RTCW. Unless they're Black Ops 2 or something. Jesus, that engine has some goddamn life in it.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 25, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Kins posted:

They had to be - there was no autosave in the original DOS versions of the game, so if you died the level restarted with a pistol start.

For the past 20 years I've just reloaded if I died, assuming I had a save anywhere nearby.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

For the past 20 years I've just reloaded if I died, assuming I had a save anywhere nearby.

Give it a try without doing this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

victrix posted:

So cchest4 fell apart for me part way through, any other suggestions for Brutal Doom friendly wadpacks?

Just randomly trawl through idgames\levels\doom2\Ports\megawads and idgames\levels\doom2\megawads

You'll probably find stuff that works very well in there

The Kins posted:

I sort of figured Quake 3 as being the furthest this thread should go, but I don't think anyone would be bothered by discussing Q3-engine games like RTCW. Unless they're Black Ops 2 or something. Jesus, that engine has some goddamn life in it.

:v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Speaking of hires sprites... was there never a project to redo all the doom monsters/weapons in hires? It seems comparatively trivial next to all the other random poo poo the fanbase has done, but the last time I looked I only remember finding some really terrible 3d models that looked totally out of place in the game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

victrix posted:

It seems comparatively trivial next to all the other random poo poo the fanbase has done, but the last time I looked I only remember finding some really terrible 3d models that looked totally out of place in the game.

Basically because every time it's attempted there will be a group of people leveling that complaint. Redoing all the sprites is a huge project so people get discouraged and quit when they're told what they've done so far is terrible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think a big problem is that low-resolution graphics leave a lot of details to the imagination of the viewer, simply by nature. So when you have an artist come in with much better technology to come and fill in those details, they don't always match up with the expectations people have.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They need to rephotograph the old physical models for some of the characters at least at high res and all so we can get better res sprites for them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

They need to rephotograph the old physical models for some of the characters at least at high res and all so we can get better res sprites for them.
Some of the models (The Doomguy and Baron) were unpainted clay models that have long since hardened over to the point that they'd just crumble if anyone moved them. The others are in Id's office but they're kind of fragile - the Spider Demon was missing most of its legs for a while.

The Cacowards are up! Sort of. They're on temporary hosting while Doomworld is broken. There's a lot of really good choices here (and also Reelism), so you can't really go wrong with it.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Install Gentoo posted:

Just randomly trawl through idgames\levels\doom2\Ports\megawads and idgames\levels\doom2\megawads

You'll probably find stuff that works very well in there

:v:

The Quake Engines are a work of genius, and you can find bits and pieces of them in everything that isn't derived from Unreal/Cry/Lithtech. It never ceases to amuse me that there are still pieces of Quake in Black Ops 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

It really does, I think that's part of the reason I like the engine so much.

Well, are there any good RtCW mods or map packs? Single-player is what I'm looking for.

Edit: Also, is it possible to run Wolf3D mods with ECWolf yet? And if so, how?

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 25, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

Edit: Also, is it possible to run Wolf3D mods with ECWolf yet? And if so, how?

There's two kinds of Wolf mods: those that merely replace stuff (new maps, new VSWAP, whatever) with no changes to the underlying engine; and those that come with a custom exe.

The first type is already playable with ECWolf; the other will probably never be without some additional work to make them run.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Some of the models (The Doomguy and Baron) were unpainted clay models that have long since hardened over to the point that they'd just crumble if anyone moved them. The others are in Id's office but they're kind of fragile - the Spider Demon was missing most of its legs for a while.

Oh yeah for sure. But they're still the best way to base new sprites or even new 3d models off of. These days they can even be 3D scanned cheaply enough and articulated/repainted digitally instead of having to move the unpainted clay models.

Similarly with new weapon sprites.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The thing is that the sprites don't even look like the models, since they've been tweaked so much afterwards.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

At some point Brutal Doom is practically going to become its own game.

I'd really like to see him try his hand at making a high resolution sprite set since he has a good track record for making his additions look completely natural.

Sarge is definitely good in the visual effects department but the dude does not really have artistic chops. This just seems like a bad idea.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I've been playing hell revealed 2 on brutal doom and I've come to the conclusion that this is an unbeatable game.

oh sure, let's put you in a room with 4 cyberdemons and 2 spider masterminds peppered with innumerable small enemies followed by a closed off hallway with 40 chain gunners waiting for you. and that's just one small part of the map!

gently caress, did they actually expect people to actually beat this?!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been playing hell revealed 2 on brutal doom and I've come to the conclusion that this is an unbeatable game.

Hell Revealed 2 is one of those level sets that's designed to be a top-level challenge, pushing basic Doom gameplay balance to its absolute limit.

Stuff like that doesn't play nicely with Brutal Doom, which increases the difficulty across the board. Maybe on the lower difficulty settings you could do it, but not on UV.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

The thing is that the sprites don't even look like the models, since they've been tweaked so much afterwards.

Right but re-tweaking based off of the original models should work out better than, well, literally all the other attempts to make DOOM high res sprites and 3D model replacements.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LvK posted:

Sarge is definitely good in the visual effects department but the dude does not really have artistic chops. This just seems like a bad idea.

You're right, a lot of the better looking art assets didn't actually come from Sarge, but from another guy named Mike12. Ideally, he'd be helping with this.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only game in this thread that matters is Unreal Tournament.

Never mind the genius of the engine itself, and how it revolutionized gaming, but it had, arguably, the best competitive community of any game to date (besides Counter-Strike).

Some of my fondest memories of this era (or game, whatever) are LAN parties, tournaments and ladders.

None of this steam bullshit, catch me in IRC to set up a scrim. :smug:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Abandon All Hope posted:

The only game in this thread that matters is Unreal Tournament.

Never mind the genius of the engine itself

With a dx10/11 rendering DLL and an updated launcher to allow for modern resolutions, UT99 could pass as a budget game made this year.

That engine is also a work of genius.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 25, 2012

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

oh sure, let's put you in a room with 4 cyberdemons and 2 spider masterminds peppered with innumerable small enemies followed by a closed off hallway with 40 chain gunners waiting for you. and that's just one small part of the map!

gently caress, did they actually expect people to actually beat this?!
Please trying playing hell revealed 2 without brutal doom. You'll come to appreciate it more, honest! This can also be said of almost any classic megawad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SGtMarkIV just released an alpha of BrutalStrife :stare:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6whcasdk79l602v