Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Awesome, thanks guys :)

The kids have been going nuts with the elephant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Sometimes you score big.

About 2/3rds of this is Lego. Highlights include about 1/2 of the Batwing set with a Joker minifig (no Batman, only his hood). A ton of Clone Wars figs, both main characters and troopers. 4 classic Stormtroopers and what looks like a complete Ewok Attack set with all the figs and speeder. Rebel Snow Troopers and pilots.

On top of all the licensed stuff is a bunch of space, some sort of under water theme and a bunch of random stuff. At least $200 worth. Possibly double.

And all of this cost me $40, $39.90 if you deduct the dime I found in one of the buckets.

The rest of it is Mega Bloks, Best Lock and Kreo. Enough that I think I can get 40 bucks for it :v:

I'm keeping the mini Star Scream though.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Nice little piece on the UK's certified Lego professional:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20798476

I think he's got us all beat with his storage system.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:psyduck: Oh god he's gluing the pieces together!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

:psyduck: Oh god he's gluing the pieces together!

Pretty much any professionally-built model on long-term public display like that will be glued. Everything at the Legoland parks is glued and coated with some sort of protective overcoat.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
I have managed to get my hand on all the new Superheroes sets, bar Arkham. Thoughts so far are:

The Bat vs. Bane - Tumbler Chase is pretty meh; I give it a 5/10. The build itself is underwhelming, both vehicles being poorly thought out. The saving grace is the Bane and Cmsr. Gordon figures. The set feels too ambitious for such a low price-point. Too boring and no play features for kids, with no interesting build for the AFOLs.

Batman vs. Mr Freeze - Aquaman on Ice is very good and I give it an 8/10. The build is fun and there is genuinely playability in the set. My daughter absolutely loved it and spent ages with the ice block freezing Batman and Aquaman. From a collector's perspective, it is excellent as you get three unique minis (One of which goes with Arkham!)

Spider-Man - Daily Bugle Showdown is my favourite so far and gets 9/10. The build is a fairly standard 'building' build, with lots of repetition. However, Lego have treated us with a great array of play features and my daughter and nephew played with it non-stop and they loved the minifigures. If you can only get one set, get this one!

Spider-Man - Spider-Cycle Chase is another good set, getting 8/10. The build reminded me of a cross between the Cosmic Cube Escape and the Toy Story Army Men vehicle. You get a very solid car and a fairly naff bike (Albeit far better than the Cpt America / Wolverine preformed ones). The major excitement came from the Venom minifig. I don't know why, but there were genuinely arguments as to who would play with Venom between my daughter and nephew.

Asides from the let-down of the DKR set, this is an excellent wave and I cannot wait until January's payday to buy Arkham :)

LordEvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 23, 2012

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I NEED a J Jonah Jameson minifig. I need it more than oxygen.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I need Doctor Doom, bad. Shame he's in the massive Spider-Man set based on the awful cartoon.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I've gotta say, the 2011 Star Wars Advent Calendar is much better than this years.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
So, fiancee's mom gave this to me for christmas:

I can't get over how cool they are, didn't even know they made toy story alarm clocks on the lego line.,

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Rawrbomb posted:

So, fiancee's mom gave this to me for christmas:

I can't get over how cool they are, didn't even know they made toy story alarm clocks on the lego line.,

Have they ever done this as just the classic blue pants/red shirt minifig? I'd love one that isn't from a license, but the only one I've seen is a City cop.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I've only seen the flashlight guy who looks like that. Not a clock.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So I"ve decided to do at least one MOC a week in LDD so that my skills in it don't deteriorate again. Since i haven't made a racecar in a while i decided to make a microscale futuristic racecar.

Futura Racecar by AzMiLion, on Flickr

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

AzMiLion posted:

So I"ve decided to do at least one MOC a week in LDD so that my skills in it don't deteriorate again. Since i haven't made a racecar in a while i decided to make a microscale futuristic racecar.

Futura Racecar by AzMiLion, on Flickr

This is awesome and something I should emulate. (The MOC thing, not specifically the car. Which is also awesome.)

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

rickiep00h posted:

This is awesome and something I should emulate. (The MOC thing, not specifically the car. Which is also awesome.)

If there's enough interest from goons in this we could do a weekly MOC build-off with a new theme each week? I could set up a flickr group so that the thread doesn't get absolutely clogged with MOCs(even though i think that is a good thing)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AzMiLion posted:

If there's enough interest from goons in this we could do a weekly MOC build-off with a new theme each week?

I'm down, it will force me to learn software. I would lean more towards bi-weekly though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Thanks to the season I have over 5400 pieces of lego to assemble, the torture of decadence.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

djfooboo posted:

I'm down, it will force me to learn software. I would lean more towards bi-weekly though.

I'd be down with biweekly as well. School's gonna gently caress me hard for time commitments.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

If there's enough interest from goons in this we could do a weekly MOC build-off with a new theme each week? I could set up a flickr group so that the thread doesn't get absolutely clogged with MOCs(even though i think that is a good thing)

This is an awesome idea, count me in!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I'll just leave this here then, I'll be doing two themes per period so you can either do one of them over two weeks or work on both.

:siren:LEGOONS bi-Weekly Build-off!:siren:
The bi-weekly LEGOONS Build-off is a way to keep developing your skill with LEGO in whatever form you work with it, whether it’s real bricks, LDD, MLDCAD or some other way. Every two weeks there will be a theme posted in which you can participate and build a MOC fitting to that theme.

Feel free to do more than 1 MOC per period.

How do I participate?
Simple, state in a post that you are participating in one of the themes and post progress shots or a finished MOC once you are done.

Theme voting
At the start of each build-off I’ll be posting the current theme(s) and a list of options for the next themes, if you prefer a theme you can cast a vote for the next theme!

Is it a :toxx:
No, toxxes are unfun.

Themes for these two weeks!
-Racing Vehicles in any scale!(Race cars, race planes, race boats, space racers. Go nuts!)
-Tis the seasons to be jolly!, Christmas, New years eve or other celebrations!

:siren:Deadline:siren:
The deadline for this build-off is January 13th!
The deadline for voting is January 12th (i need to prepare a new list of themes and do a vote count and stuff)

Next period theme possibilities

-Wild Wild West
-Steampunk
-Mecha
-Space
-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable!

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 24, 2012

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Do I get a bonus for two themes in one build? I'm in at any rate.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Luminaflare posted:

Do I get a bonus for two themes in one build? I'm in at any rate.

I will be keeping track of whos built what and if they completed builds or not. there's no consequences though other than me throwing embarrassing statistics in the thread.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'll try to get in on this round, but I'll be absent for at least the next two rounds.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I got an awesome Lego shelf and the VW Van for Christmas! :dance:

Has anyone seen a shelf like this before? My parents apparently found it in an antique store.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

As someone who's never used LDD, I wouldn't mind seeing at least the most popular entries in tis thread (or all entries in a separate thread). It's really neat to see advanced techniques in action and the (usually) small part counts involved with the MOCs posted in this thread make it easier to see what's going on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frozen-Solid posted:

I got an awesome Lego shelf and the VW Van for Christmas! :dance:

Has anyone seen a shelf like this before? My parents apparently found it in an antique store.

That's an old school retail display shelf. My cousin has some of them, he got them from a Montgomery Wards back in the 80's.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AzMiLion posted:

I haven't been building as much as I'd like, so I need an excuse. In like Flynn.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

AzMiLion posted:

The bi-weekly LEGOONS Build-off is a way to keep developing your skill with LEGO in whatever form you work with it, whether it’s real bricks, LDD, MLDCAD or some other way. Every two weeks there will be a theme posted in which you can participate and build a MOC fitting to that theme.
Themes for these two weeks!
-Racing Vehicles in any scale!(Race cars, race planes, race boats, space racers. Go nuts!)
-Tis the seasons to be jolly!, Christmas, New years eve or other celebrations!

Well, I was immediately inspired and whipped this up today. I've never built anything this large purely in LDD (I've built similar-sized things when I was copying a physical MOC).
I'm guessing some of the pieces don't exist in these colors, and I'm pretty sure it's fragile as hell, but I like it. It's pretty SNOT-heavy, but no particularly interesting techniques were used. LDD got in the way a few times when I was trying to greeble it a bit, not letting me add some details I'm sure I could in real life. Before I decided to place all those RCS thrusters, I was going to try and have flex tubes circling the fuel tanks, but I couldn't get LDD to cooperate with that.

imgur's being stupid and I don't feel like setting up a minus account, so I'll post from flickr. Click for more shots.

Racing Pinnace

All fuel and engine; without gravity and air to worry about, space racers can be pretty bare-bones!
Our intrepid pilot is laying down on top of the stack of fuel and engine so she doesn't black out. In the Unlimited Class, you can do whatever you want with your ship, balancing between mass, acceleration, and endurance.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

A pretty nice haul (or start of one, who knows what comes tomorrow!)

I have no idea how they got the girl in the boxes though. :iiam:

Pyroclastic posted:

Well, I was immediately inspired and whipped this up today. I've never built anything this large purely in LDD (I've built similar-sized things when I was copying a physical MOC).
I'm guessing some of the pieces don't exist in these colors, and I'm pretty sure it's fragile as hell, but I like it. It's pretty SNOT-heavy, but no particularly interesting techniques were used. LDD got in the way a few times when I was trying to greeble it a bit, not letting me add some details I'm sure I could in real life. Before I decided to place all those RCS thrusters, I was going to try and have flex tubes circling the fuel tanks, but I couldn't get LDD to cooperate with that.

imgur's being stupid and I don't feel like setting up a minus account, so I'll post from flickr. Click for more shots.

Racing Pinnace

All fuel and engine; without gravity and air to worry about, space racers can be pretty bare-bones!
Our intrepid pilot is laying down on top of the stack of fuel and engine so she doesn't black out. In the Unlimited Class, you can do whatever you want with your ship, balancing between mass, acceleration, and endurance.

This looks like the most godawful unsafe racing vehicle ever created.

It's awesome :hfive:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 25, 2012

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Merry Christmas Lego thread!

Good news, LEGO shop@home after Christmas sale is live! Bad news: everything on sale is sold out and has been sold out for weeks. If you missed out on the 7877 Naboo starfighter from Target clearance you can get it now for 20% off, otherwise that is about all that's left.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Torael_7 posted:

This looks like the most godawful unsafe racing vehicle ever created.

It's awesome :hfive:

If your Unlimited Class racing vehicle doesn't look like a deathtrap, you're not going to win.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Frozen-Solid posted:

That shelf is amazing, congrats

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Pyroclastic posted:

Racing Pinnace

THat need a red paint job and an ork pilot, looks cool as hell though!, it's not a requirment to build in LDD for the build-off, use whatever medium you want.
And yeah, the flex-tool can be a bit janky at times sadly.

Using flickr might be a good idea since we can easily make a gallery per period and stick all the created things in there.

FadingChord posted:

As someone who's never used LDD, I wouldn't mind seeing at least the most popular entries in tis thread (or all entries in a separate thread). It's really neat to see advanced techniques in action and the (usually) small part counts involved with the MOCs posted in this thread make it easier to see what's going on.

I'll be dumping LXF files for LDD in the thread, it's not a required thing since you don't have to work in LDD, you can just build a brick model.

Futura 2 & 3 by AzMiLion, on Flickr

So for my build thing i'm going to do a racing grid with the surrounding area, the cars are going to be a bit hot-wheels in styling. Currently working on getting about 6 cars done, these are the 2nd and 3rd car that are done for now. working on the scene itself today and probably most of tommorow.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 25, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This Christmas I got:

Not bad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

el burbo posted:

This Christmas I got:

Not bad.

Every Creator house is awesome. Congrats, man.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
So I told my mom I'd love to have the haunted house set for Christmas and she ended up grabbing the vampire castle by mistake. Are there any actual stores that carry the haunted house I could go exchange it at? I've only ever seen it online. I'm guessing if I made the hour drive to the closest Lego store they won't do anything without a receipt which I don't have. I didn't have the heart to tell my mom, she already accidentally did this one with a Lego race track set when I was a kid.

Also, love moms who still buy their adult sons Lego. :)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's a Lego exclusive, which means only online or at Lego stores. Sometimes exclusives show up at TRU but I've never seen the haunted house in a store.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I'm now the proud owner of a Lego Millennium Falcon 7965, it's the biggest set I've owned since I was a kid! :D

Tyger41
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks to my children's grandparents (AKA Santa) I have alot of work to do.

My daughters haul.

My sons haul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tyger41 posted:

Thanks to my children's grandparents (AKA Santa) I have alot of work to do.

My daughters haul.

My sons haul

Wow, no wonder Walmart was cleaned out when I went to snag a last minute Lego gift :)

But I don't think you have any work to do, those kids better do it.