Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So I hosed up my vzw s3. I was running a CM nightly from mid-november and it was okay but I figured I'd upgrade to the latest. And of course I must have picked a bad one because I was getting all sorts of weird screen flickering and missing calendars and such. So, against better judgement I just roll back to my known good rom via CM Update and then it's stuck in at the swirly screen. Boot back into CWM and try just wiping cache so I don't have to go through the rigamarole of a full reset. Nope, still stuck at the swirly screen and now I can't seem to get back into CWM, it just boot loops back to the Samsung Galaxy SIII screen. Booting normally gets me stuck at the swirls.

What exactly do I need to clear this up? I'm guessing I'll have to flash it from my PC or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Milkman posted:

So I hosed up my vzw s3. I was running a CM nightly from mid-november and it was okay but I figured I'd upgrade to the latest. And of course I must have picked a bad one because I was getting all sorts of weird screen flickering and missing calendars and such. So, against better judgement I just roll back to my known good rom via CM Update and then it's stuck in at the swirly screen. Boot back into CWM and try just wiping cache so I don't have to go through the rigamarole of a full reset. Nope, still stuck at the swirly screen and now I can't seem to get back into CWM, it just boot loops back to the Samsung Galaxy SIII screen. Booting normally gets me stuck at the swirls.

What exactly do I need to clear this up? I'm guessing I'll have to flash it from my PC or something.
So you didn't make a backup before updating from a month-old nightly? I'd guess just boot to recovery and wipe everything and flash the nightly you want.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

synthoric posted:

What's the skinny on rooting the SGS3? Just that the OP links to this site - http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s-with-a-single-click-mac/

and that article is over 2 years old. Frankly I also have no idea what I'm doing. I used to have an iPod touch 2nd generation or something and I remember jailbreaking that, but I'm rather lost here and updated advice would be really helpful.

Use this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1726088

It sounds like you're new to Android so maybe think about whether you need root before doing it. Rooting the S3 is nice just for disabling junk apps with Titanium Backup.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How are the latest 10.1 nightlies for the d2att anyways? I'm still on 10.0 since I am waiting for the new version to be pretty stable and noticed like hundreds of changes in the past few nightly notes.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

LastInLine posted:

So you didn't make a backup before updating from a month-old nightly? I'd guess just boot to recovery and wipe everything and flash the nightly you want.

Backups are for pussies. And yeah that's what I was trying to do. It did finally let me back into CWM but after flashing back to a working system I had no data connection and it was stuck 'roaming.' The IMEI wasn't corrupted or anything so I eventually just gave up and ODIN'ed a pre-rooted stock JB.

Good god I forgot how awful TouchWiz is. Gonna try and bear it until the next CM milestone. M2 is missing dock audio and the recent set of nightlies all seemed glitchy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Rooted Android Thread: Make backups before flashing or quit bitching.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there a reason Play Music is broken* on CM? Anything I can do to fix it while retaining Play Music's cloud functionality?

*If you ever leave the app and come back the now playing screen is just blank. You have to hit skip to see anything useful.

What version of CM and what phone? Play Music is working fine for me on CM10 on an S3.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

The Milkman posted:

Backups are for pussies. And yeah that's what I was trying to do. It did finally let me back into CWM but after flashing back to a working system I had no data connection and it was stuck 'roaming.' The IMEI wasn't corrupted or anything so I eventually just gave up and ODIN'ed a pre-rooted stock JB.

Were you trying to update to a 10.1 nightly? It currently has issues auto-detecting network modes, you have to set it yourself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to put Cyanogen 10.1 on a Nexus 4. I want to wipe the data partition so it's a totally clean install, but TWRP says that formatting data "wipes all internal storage including backups". I have the ROM on the root of the internal storage. Will it get wiped if I wipe data? That seems odd, if true I guess it's due to MTP partitioning? The problem is that I can't just put the ROM back onto the storage if my system is wiped, because the TWRP can't mount internal storage to the PC (due to no USB OTG).

Edit: Figured it out, apparently "Factory Reset" is the new "Wipe Data" in TWRP, because when you do it, the console says "Wiping data without wiping data/media" or something to that extent. In any event it wipes your apps but leaves the internal storage alone.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 23, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I just got an HTC One VX and it's great, but I'd like to get rid of Sense UI and use Sixaxis. All the links for the root tool seem down though. This isn't my first Android, I could root it without the one click method, but it's a pretty new phone and I'm having trouble finding anything else. Any tips?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I updated my Galaxy Nexus from CM10 to 10.1. I wiped the phone and now I'm trying to restore from a backup with CWM and I'm having trouble. When I select Backup and Restore and tap Restore, it says,

"Couldn't open directory.
No files found."

When I go to install a .zip so I can see the directory structure, I find three folders in the root:
0/
legacy/
obb/

If I go into 0/ I see what should be the root of the storage. Also, if I connect to a computer it shows the root as I would expect, without those three.

The only cause I can think of would be StickMount, which lets you mount a USB flash drive. However it wasn't installed. I installed and uninstalled it, and it didn't help. I also reflashed CWM and it didn't help.

I really want to be able to restore and even if I can't and have to start over, I want to get the directory fixed so I won't have a problem restoring in the future. Any ideas?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Konjuro posted:

Were you trying to update to a 10.1 nightly? It currently has issues auto-detecting network modes, you have to set it yourself.

That might have been it but I did try messing with that setting manually. Oh well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

When I go to install a .zip so I can see the directory structure, I find three folders in the root:
0/
legacy/
obb/

If I go into 0/ I see what should be the root of the storage. Also, if I connect to a computer it shows the root as I would expect, without those three.
This is how storage works now, to allow for multiuser support. First user is /0, next is /1, etc. Not sure how to fix your problem, you may need to update to a newer recovery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

This is how storage works now, to allow for multiuser support. First user is /0, next is /1, etc. Not sure how to fix your problem, you may need to update to a newer recovery.
Older backups are in a different location than the recovery expects but I've never seen it clearly indicated where it is that they should go now.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
Aaargh. I got cyanogenmod 10 installed on my phone along with google apps but when i turn the phone on, it gets to the cyanogen mod loading graphic then i get the dialogue "Unfortunately the setup wizard has stopped." and i can't do anything but keep pressing "OK".

I also get the error "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"

I'm pretty sure i installed the correct poo poo for my phone (SGH I747M, my provider is Rogers and the general concensus is that i should be using the d2att versions of cm)...

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

http://get.cm/?device=d2att

Did i install the incorrect version of Cyanogenmod?

twoski fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 24, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Did you wipe before flashing?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

That's the correct branch of CM for your phone, but it sounds like you're using the wrong gapps version. Are you using a 10.1 nightly? If so you need the 4.2.1 gapps (20121212) instead.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011

Konjuro posted:

That's the correct branch of CM for your phone, but it sounds like you're using the wrong gapps version. Are you using a 10.1 nightly? If so you need the 4.2.1 gapps (20121212) instead.

Ah, poo poo. I assumed that version wouldn't work since my phone was using android 4.1 (and i thought that i installed cyanogenmod which was also 4.1) and it says in the readme that it only works with 4.2 and up.

Can i just install that zip from my sdcard without doing anything else, or do i need to wipe everything and start over?

twoski fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 24, 2012

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

CyanogenMod 10.1 is 4.2.1, CM10 is 4.1. You should be able to just re-flash CM then flash the new gapps. If you get "Unfortunately Clock has stopped." after just go to Apps in Settings and clear data for the Clock app.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tunga posted:

LastInLine posted:

Older backups are in a different location than the recovery expects but I've never seen it clearly indicated where it is that they should go now.

That makes sense. I updated to the latest version of CWM but I still get the error. I can't find anywhere to specify where to look for the backup. I guess I can try taking another backup to see if it works from this point on. If so, just move on.

Edit: I found info here, I'll try to fix it tonight.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1991657

Edit again: ROM Manager was updated and now it sees my 4.1 and 4.2 backups. Too bad I got the update after I spent the time setting my phone back up. Oh well.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 24, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there any way to get the swipe-able keyboard from 4.2 in 4.1?

There don't seem to be very many stable 4.2 ROMs for the HTC One X.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

fuf posted:

Is there any way to get the swipe-able keyboard from 4.2 in 4.1?

There don't seem to be very many stable 4.2 ROMs for the HTC One X.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1964663

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Awesome thanks.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Woke up with morning with no IMEI/ERI and no data on my GSIII. Unfortunate to say the least.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What happened? Is your SIM card having an issue, did you forget to pay your account, did you buy a phone that was reported stolen, or did you somehow root your way into a network ban with some kind of ESN shenanigans?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

What happened? Is your SIM card having an issue, did you forget to pay your account, did you buy a phone that was reported stolen, or did you somehow root your way into a network ban with some kind of ESN shenanigans?

Edit: Nevermind, misread original question.

Anyway, I would suggest popping your SIM card out, pop it back in, and restart the phone

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 24, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The last two or three days I've been having something called StartingAlertService that is generating quite a bit of wakelock activity. I tried googling it, but most of the hits were about the TouchWiz calendar. It does say Calendar under the service name, but I'm running CM10 on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can stop it? I'm getting even worse battery life than normal on this thing!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Have CM10.0 nightly updates just completely stopped (at least for the d2spr)? I can't even find the very last one so I can update to it. I have the 12/16 version so I'm probably not missing out on anything, but I didn't even realize that they were stopping work once they started with CM10.1.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have CM10.0 nightly updates just completely stopped (at least for the d2spr)? I can't even find the very last one so I can update to it. I have the 12/16 version so I'm probably not missing out on anything, but I didn't even realize that they were stopping work once they started with CM10.1.

The first d2spr nightly for CM 10.1 was on the 17th I think, so you might have the last one for CM 10 (or the second to last).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm looking to backup something from an app, unfortunately the app saves its data in /data/data so I'll need root. Is there a way to obtain root without wiping my phone? Or a trick to just snatch the data I need? I'm running an Atrix 2 with the newest OTA.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Only unlocking should require a wipe.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

No. Flashing CM10/CM10.1 on the galaxy S3 can lead to losing IMEI/ERI information and basically dropping your phone from the network. Something about dummy information being loaded during boot up of the phone. It can thankfully be fixed but it's a long process.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mughe posted:

No. Flashing CM10/CM10.1 on the galaxy S3 can lead to losing IMEI/ERI information and basically dropping your phone from the network. Something about dummy information being loaded during boot up of the phone. It can thankfully be fixed but it's a long process.

I think this happened to me. I was on CM10 and updated to the latest nightly (thinking, of course, without any warning, that it would be like any other nightly) and suddenly I'm stuck at "Waiting for network..." during first boot. So do I Odin back to stock, re-root, re-unlock bootloader, install CM10.1 nightly 122412(awesome how there isn't even a different link, so how the gently caress would you know it was a newer Android version unless your homepage was XDA devs?), then install 121212 gapps?

Next phone is going to be an iPhone. gently caress this poo poo.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Try dialing *#*#4636#*#* and when the testing menu pops up choose Phone Information, your IMEI will be right at the top.

If your IMEI is intact I would check to see if the problem is 10.1 auto configuring to the wrong network mode and/or APN (which it is currently prone to do). If so there is no need to jump though all those hoops, just boot into recovery and flash the new gapps.

If you do need to re-flash going back to stock probably isn't going to do much for you, just go to the latest stable release or the last nightly which didn't have issues for you.

If your IMEI is gone I would recommend flashing to the latest stable build or stock (but you will have to re-root), then follow the instructions in this thread. I've never had to do an IMEI restore\injection so I don't know if there's a better method than that.

Edit: I'm assuming you have a S3, the above link wont help you at all otherwise.

I think the problem is that we've been spoiled by how stable the CM10 nighties had become and a lot of people were blindsided by issues you'd expect from an early nightly. Letting users update to 10.1 with the build-in updater without some sort of extra prompt certainly doesn't help matters.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 25, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nostrum posted:

...how the gently caress would you know it was a newer Android version unless your homepage was XDA devs?)...

Next phone is going to be an iPhone. gently caress this poo poo.
It continues to amaze me that people buy phones knowing they are going to modify them yet purchase devices controlled by carriers who are actively attempting to prevent you from doing so. Then when something goes wrong it's somehow the fault of the OEM/developers that it did so.

I get that the dev scene is full of half-truths and sparse information but really isn't the burden on the user to understand what they're doing prior to attempting to do it? It's not like there's a dearth of information to indicate that Androids with few exceptions are prone to slow updates and various fuckery both from the OEM and carriers and that if you want to attempt to circumvent the traditional model for software improvements there will be a learning curve on the user's part.

Isn't that exactly what Mr. Jobs meant when he said it's either a walled garden or an open sewer? If you piddle around in the sewer you're going to have to get dirty and it's definitely going to stink. Who doesn't see this going in?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

LastInLine posted:

It continues to amaze me that people buy phones knowing they are going to modify them yet purchase devices controlled by carriers who are actively attempting to prevent you from doing so. Then when something goes wrong it's somehow the fault of the OEM/developers that it did so.

I get that the dev scene is full of half-truths and sparse information but really isn't the burden on the user to understand what they're doing prior to attempting to do it? It's not like there's a dearth of information to indicate that Androids with few exceptions are prone to slow updates and various fuckery both from the OEM and carriers and that if you want to attempt to circumvent the traditional model for software improvements there will be a learning curve on the user's part.

Isn't that exactly what Mr. Jobs meant when he said it's either a walled garden or an open sewer? If you piddle around in the sewer you're going to have to get dirty and it's definitely going to stink. Who doesn't see this going in?

Well you're right, thanks for rubbing it in! Where do I turn in my bitter, encrusted, Stallman-beard?

EDIT: So, I reflashed gapps, same problem. My IMEI matches what's beneath my battery, but my phone number is wrong. Even on the latest stable ROM, with latest stable gapps. Welp.

VVVV - Except 3G was completely hosed in every single nightly because there wasn't a RIL for Jellybean.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 25, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Nostrum posted:

Well you're right, thanks for rubbing it in! Where do I turn in my bitter, encrusted, Stallman-beard?

This is why I liked the M releases, having something that's recent but you can trust to be 99%+ stable.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I hosed up flashing CyanogenMod on a phone that already has Jelly Bean and lots of carrier restrictions, this sucks I'm getting an iPhone. (said no one ever until today)

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

Nostrum posted:

EDIT: So, I reflashed gapps, same problem. My IMEI matches what's beneath my battery, but my phone number is wrong. Even on the latest stable ROM, with latest stable gapps. Welp.

VVVV - Except 3G was completely hosed in every single nightly because there wasn't a RIL for Jellybean.

Make sure your mobile network settings are correct. System select should be set to automtaic and CDMA subscription should be set to RUIM/SIM (I'm assuming verizon).

I don't think it's possible to break it completely anymore if you take the necessary precautions/do the research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a Captivate Glide running the leaked ICS and I want to upgrade to the official release. The phone is running Odin and when I hold volUp on boot it says ODIN3 Download Mode (Protocol v2.1). I know I need the Windows Odin software, but which version, and how do I go about installing a rom? It's been a while and I forgot how to do it.