Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's a roundup on the forthcoming Star Trek: Enterprise Blu-rays. Before anyone asks, this series is coming before DS9 or Voyager since it was shot in 1080p HD and won't need a heavy-duty remastering (i.e., it's cheaper to do).

I'm told by those in the know that the Berman and Braga conversation feature is really something remarkable, and that it will "change how everyone looks at them".

Say what you will about the series itself, it seems like they're treating this release with as much care as the TNG sets.

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/12182012_s1bonustease.html

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

kuddles posted:

In terms of judging actual Blu-ray quality they are pretty great, including ignoring videophile complaints about bad video quality when the film is supposed to look that way.

But yeah, I always imagine the section where they rate the actual film does not exist.

I actually had no idea they reviewed the actual movies until someone mentioned it here.

SneakySneaks posted:

Every comedian hates himself/herself.

I suppose you're right, but I find the that using the word "comedian" to describe Jeff Dunham is insulting to the term and to the many talented performers it applies to.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I suppose you're right, but I find the that using the word "comedian" to describe Jeff Dunham is insulting to the term and to the many talented performers it applies to.

I KILL YOU! for saying that, man! I KILL YOU! Haha! HahahaHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I KILL YOU! for saying that, man! I KILL YOU! Haha! HahahaHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ha ha ha, isn't racism and homophobia so much fun?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Detail on Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYNqYC_jNAg

quote:

The live-action/animation classic sports a new digital restoration and lands on Blu-ray on March 12, 2013.

Digitally Restored Roger Rabbit Shorts: Tummy Trouble, Roller-Coaster Rabbit and Trail Mix-Up
Feature Audio Commentary
Behind the Ears: The True Story
Who Made Roger Rabbit?
On Set! Benny the Cab
Before & After Split-Screen
Toon Stand-Ins
Deleted Scene: Pig's Head
Toontown Confidential Feature Trivia Track
The Valiant Files: Interactive Set-Top Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

----------

CPL593H posted:

Ha ha ha, isn't racism and homophobia so much fun?

Calm down. It's just jokes.

Now let me tell you how the Koran commands all the sand-nigg...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

edit: Dumb and can't read.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Calm down. It's just jokes.

Now let me tell you how the Koran commands all the sand-nigg...

Jeff Dunham posted:

Jingle bombs, jingle bombs,
Mine blew up, you see.
Where are all the virgins
That Bin Laden promised me? Oh!
Jingle bombs, jingle bombs,
U.S. soldiers shot me dead.
The only thing that I have left
Is this towel upon my head.

Because they are Towelheads, you see.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Because they are Towelheads, you see.

He also has one that's an unironic version of Franklin from Arrested Development.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

He also has one that's an unironic version of Franklin from Arrested Development.

That's mind-boggling.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's mind-boggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VShb9jw38

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Holy poo poo.

" Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Daddy D! Ha-HAAAAAAAAAAA!"

And he's a pimp.

That's... I'm kind of speechless.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo poo.

" Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Daddy D! Ha-HAAAAAAAAAAA!"

And he's a pimp.

That's... I'm kind of speechless.

What's worse is that he's been doing the same lovely act for 20 odd years.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
He can do his lovely act for all eternity, for all I care.

My problem is the obscene amount of money this racist poo poo is getting him.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Guys, it's no offensive because he makes fun of everyone! You see, that makes it okay! Because everyone is included, and as we all know, the rule of racism is as long as you make fun of everyone, it is not racist.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Partially because I like her and partially because I like ventriloquy I feel compelled to at least link to Nina Conti and Granny in retaliation, because jesus kangaroo christ is Jeff Dunham a black hole of talent and taste.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Hitchcock Box set is down to $119 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=5550343011

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, the Hitchcock box set is $99 in Australia, and that's not on special.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Only bad thing about the Aussie one is having to buy North by Northwest separately since its not included.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So it works out to about $120 then. I didn't know it wasn't included, that's pretty lame.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Scrooged - $9.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMHOZU...PCWDCHQPDAWNEXW
Juno/Whip It - $13.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MU8ZLQ...182N6VNWYV9X3CQ

$4.99 movies

Where The Wild Things Are http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HN699K...M10R2JNA4FD8XYN
Risky Business http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00168OIP8...YNADRDZ62TPSXCW
Solider http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UFEJW6...ZN3WKEW9QK5T3PH
Red Planet http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UFEJT4...C0D36H8A9B1C1YW

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Amazon is having some pretty nice deals right now. Just picked up the Attenborough Planet Earth for 19.99$

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does Amazon's price filter never work for anyone else?

(and yeah, I clicked go multiple times but it still shows results that are way outside the price range)

edit: Oh, it's probably the stupid used copies that make it show up. Any way to filter those out?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I bought the UK version of the Hitchcock Collection back during that ridiculous discount a while ago, which was a better deal since as a Canadian I pay duty fees for US stuff and already owned NBNW.

Speaking of which, I got around to watching North By Northwest last week. Christ Almighty, do I love it when studios really put money and effort behind their catalog restorations. I can't believe I was one of those jackasses who insisted the difference between Bluray and DVD was minimal back in '07.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

Does Amazon's price filter never work for anyone else?

(and yeah, I clicked go multiple times but it still shows results that are way outside the price range)

edit: Oh, it's probably the stupid used copies that make it show up. Any way to filter those out?

Not really. You can mark "New" and "Amazon.com" as the seller but it still doesn't work that well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'd started my Twilight Zone collection a few months ago with the season 1 box set on Blu-Ray. I've not had a chance to watch it yet because haven't had access to my blu-ray player for while.

My girlfriend kindly got me the second season for Christmas but she picked up the DVD set. Does anyone here know if there's a noticeable difference in quality between the two?

I already feel like a dick for feeling disappointed that it's not the blu-ray version so I'm really reluctant to suggest swapping it if there's no real difference at all.

I also checked the website of the store she bought it from and it's listing the DVD version as more expensive than the blu-ray version too :cry:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kin posted:

I'd started my Twilight Zone collection a few months ago with the season 1 box set on Blu-Ray. I've not had a chance to watch it yet because haven't had access to my blu-ray player for while.

My girlfriend kindly got me the second season for Christmas but she picked up the DVD set. Does anyone here know if there's a noticeable difference in quality between the two?

I already feel like a dick for feeling disappointed that it's not the blu-ray version so I'm really reluctant to suggest swapping it if there's no real difference at all.

I also checked the website of the store she bought it from and it's listing the DVD version as more expensive than the blu-ray version too :cry:

Yes, they did a good job restoring the quality. You should just come clean and tell her that you're just swapping it for a better version of the same item. The thought is still very much appreciated.

(and if you return it for credit, you could come out ahead and get another movie! Let her pick that one out)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
More $4.99 movies

Mean Streets - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NQSQT6...T46RSQH5NYBK8YW
The Wild Bunch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q6GX90...T52FDC4VQ1FZ760
Battle Of The Bulge http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OCZD5Q...Q9250K3BY58EBQF
Cobra http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XQO8JG...ZYFG1XS0ATNC0EM

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 24, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kin posted:

Black and white blurays are God's gift to Earth, and Twilight Zone has a stellar, stellar transfer. They look absolutely gorgeous. Swap it ASAP.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I am on the market for a blu-ray player, and am looking for some advice regarding this.

First of all, what is the main purpose of a blu-ray player? Isnt it just as easy or even better to just connect a htpc to the tv, as then you have 1 device that can play all your bds, dvds, music, show your pictures, and play other movie files?

Is it a price question? I see the cheapest bd players here cost around 500 NOK, but a htpc will run me about 4k

I have not had a disk player before, and have been using my TV's USB-in to play movies, which i find super convenient most of the time. However, occationally it refuses to play certain files, or the sound is horribly out of synch (despite not being that when played on my pc) or the subtitle is out of synch (again not on pc). If i get a Blu-ray player that has USB-in, will it necessarily be better at playing off movie files? How can i know in advance which files it can play? And why can it play some .mp4 files just fine with subtitle and all, but other files wont work or just break off halfway through the file or other problems?
When looking at the specifications of a certain blu-ray player it has the following formats supported: JPEG, GIF, PNG, Xvid, WMV9, AVCHD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP3, ACC, LPCM
So some of those are recogniseable, like mpeg-4 is .mp4 (i assume), but can this player play .mkv files for example? Or .avi? None of the players i have looked at lists those 2 file types.

Seeing as even the cheapest blu-ray player can play blu-rays, what is the point in buying a $500 one when i can get a $60 one? Do the more expensive ones simply tack on more features such as wi-fi, netflix streaming etc?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I had a PC setup for playing blu rays (and HD DVDs) and it was terrible. The playback software is pretty bad, both in the UI and reliability. Your friends and family will hate the setup, especially when it crashes, doesn't play audio, drops frames, etc. when they just want to watch a movie. Definitely get a real player IMHO. I have a a Panasonic that does Netflix and other streaming--it was about $100 and worth it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
If anything having built-in wifi is good for firmware update for your bluray player, as the studios keep changing encoding schemes to fight piracy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

I had a PC setup for playing blu rays (and HD DVDs) and it was terrible. The playback software is pretty bad, both in the UI and reliability. Your friends and family will hate the setup, especially when it crashes, doesn't play audio, drops frames, etc. when they just want to watch a movie. Definitely get a real player IMHO. I have a a Panasonic that does Netflix and other streaming--it was about $100 and worth it.

Yeah, Blu-Ray on PC loving stinks. You need to purchase $300+ of software on top of the cost of the drive to get the best setup. If you don't have AnyDVDHD, new discs come out and they don't work right away either from new DRM or the software needing an update. Dickbag software makers have their products on crazy update schedules so you'll soon find yourself a version or two behind which no longer gets support (spend $50+ on an upgrade!)

Even a $40 offbrand Best Buy Blu-Ray player from 2010 is a better experience.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone know a good website that catalogs comparison screenshots between Blu-Ray's and DVD's?

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone know a good website that catalogs comparison screenshots between Blu-Ray's and DVD's?

Here are some sites I visit:

DVD and Blu-ray database/screenshots: http://www.dvdbeaver.com & https://dvdcompare.net
Blu-ray database/screenshots: https://cinemasquid.com

:tipshat:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aatrek posted:

If anything having built-in wifi is good for firmware update for your bluray player, as the studios keep changing encoding schemes to fight piracy.

Urgh, I hope nothing major has changed... my standalone Panasonic player has an update available, but I use a 3rd party version for extra features and DVD/BD region unlock. I think the team have released a new version of the extended firmware, but I'm reluctant to do an upgrade until I get discs that stop working.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sporadic posted:

Yeah, Blu-Ray on PC loving stinks. You need to purchase $300+ of software on top of the cost of the drive to get the best setup. If you don't have AnyDVDHD, new discs come out and they don't work right away either from new DRM or the software needing an update. Dickbag software makers have their products on crazy update schedules so you'll soon find yourself a version or two behind which no longer gets support (spend $50+ on an upgrade!)

Even a $40 offbrand Best Buy Blu-Ray player from 2010 is a better experience.

This is very true. PowerDVD is one that stops updating old versions which is very frustrating. The first drive I bought ended up useless after two years and the price had come down so much that I bought another whole drive with a new version of PDVD instead of buying licensed software. 2 years later it now tells me to update every single time I load a blu ray because the version is out of date but when I get to the site there's no patch for it anymore. It still works if I just ignore the messages but some discs don't play on it at all, or start up but are unplayable with hitching or sound glitches. I'd be pissed if I were trying to do an HTPC setup. My 4 year old Samsung just chugs along, I've only updated its firmware once, when Avatar wouldn't play.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 26, 2012

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anybody else preorder that new Zodiac blu release from a few weeks ago? Amazon has removed their listing for it but hasn't cancelled my order. It has a release date of January 4 and I'm kind of curious to know what's going on with it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Gladney posted:

Did anybody else preorder that new Zodiac blu release from a few weeks ago? Amazon has removed their listing for it but hasn't cancelled my order. It has a release date of January 4 and I'm kind of curious to know what's going on with it.

It's still up on Warner's site.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/zodiac%20bd%20bd%201000370222.do?sortby=ourPicks;&AID=10501819&PID=3594900&ref=CJP

Maybe the release date was wrong or got pushed back?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks for the input!

Bought myself a Panasonic DMP-BDT220EG, very satisfied.

Starts fast, responsive, easy to play videos or pictures on, starts a bd in mere seconds, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I desperately need more westerns in my collection. What are the best westerns/highest quality discs out there? I've got The Wild Bunch (not a great disc, I don't think, but a great movie) and that's about it.

• Locked thread