Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Hey guys, I just went through the Tomb of the Giants blind.

And by "blind" I mean both that it was the first time I've ever done it and that I didn't realize the skull lantern is a light source.

:suicide:

I did beat Jerklord Nito on my second attempt though. I just got right in his face and wailed on him two handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Newbie question here: I'm picking this up from Amazon today and naturally I'm grabbing the DSfix mod. I've also heard about a mod that forces the game into running at 60 fps, but heard conflicting reports if it will get you banned from the game servers or not. What's the goon experience/recommendation here? Also, any other cosmetic mods people would suggest beyond what's in the OP?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Soul level 1 runs aren't really all that hard with the exception of the Four Kings and Manus. At least, not until you get into NG+, where most things start one-shotting you and the Capra Demon becomes unblockable without Iron Flesh.

The biggest problem with the Four Kings is just straight up damage output. One-on-one, they're pretty easy to deal with, but if you fail to kill them before a new one spawns you're pretty much hosed. I'd generally recommend something like Great Combustion and Fire Whip or just Combustion for the fight.

For Manus you're best off just cheesing him unless you have a very high tolerance to frustration, since learning his tells and consistently dodging all his attacks is a very tedious, time consuming process.

How exactly does one cheese him? I've been trying and failing to beat him on my sl1 for a while now. Part of the problem is that my damage output is not nearly as good as it is for other bosses, due to his high HP.

Hellburger99 posted:

Newbie question here: I'm picking this up from Amazon today and naturally I'm grabbing the DSfix mod. I've also heard about a mod that forces the game into running at 60 fps, but heard conflicting reports if it will get you banned from the game servers or not. What's the goon experience/recommendation here? Also, any other cosmetic mods people would suggest beyond what's in the OP?

The FPS Unlocker is an option in dsfix. It won't get you banned; GFWL doesn't ban anyone ever, hence the fairly rampant hacking. I'd suggest using it, but not going above 30; enabling it prevents weird 15 FPS locks in some places, and going above 30 speeds up the game and causes other glitches, since the game was made to run at 30 FPS.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 25, 2012

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
So I've just killed Pinwheel in new game+, and I didn't get any mask. Do you get it right after it goes down or is it something you are supposed to loot from the ground? I can't quite remember how it went first time around. I've used homeward bone right after killing him and when I got back to his room later there was nothing on the ground either. Did I screw up or is it some glitch?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Hey guys, I just went through the Tomb of the Giants blind.

And by "blind" I mean both that it was the first time I've ever done it and that I didn't realize the skull lantern is a light source.

:suicide:

I did beat Jerklord Nito on my second attempt though. I just got right in his face and wailed on him two handed.

On the other hand imagine how good it'll feel when you rock your way through it at SL23 or so cause you wanna be able to buy that awesome cleric set from Patches ASAP. :coal:

Patches doesn't leave till you fight Nito and the run was for naught as far as I can tell, but it felt really awesome all the same having the Large Divine Ember before I even had the Large Ember. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Forgall posted:

So I've just killed Pinwheel in new game+, and I didn't get any mask. Do you get it right after it goes down or is it something you are supposed to loot from the ground? I can't quite remember how it went first time around. I've used homeward bone right after killing him and when I got back to his room later there was nothing on the ground either. Did I screw up or is it some glitch?

It's a drop, you screwed up.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

muike posted:

It's a drop, you screwed up.

:darksouls:

Oh well, it's not too important for this character.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Forgall posted:

:darksouls:

Oh well, it's not too important for this character.

You can buy all of the masks off of Patches after Tomb of the Giants.

After the latest patch, the Child mask is the only one still worth using. The buffs from the Father and Mother mask aren't nearly as useful anymore.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

jonjonaug posted:

You can buy all of the masks off of Patches after Tomb of the Giants.

After the latest patch, the Child mask is the only one still worth using. The buffs from the Father and Mother mask aren't nearly as useful anymore.

Oh sweet, I didn't know that you can buy them. It will be a while though, I just started ng+ and beelined for Pinwheel for the Rite of Kindling. Which is why I was so quick to homeward out, haha.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

For real though fighting ghosts at level 1 is loving nightmarish.

Two hand your poo poo. Or use those fireballs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Of course I grind for ages trying to get a large club and don't get one, then on the first screaming ghost i kill I get a straight ghostblade, something I have never seen before. I wasn't even wearing the serpent ring at the time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm considering going down to the flooded area with the ghosts. How long do Transient Curses last?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

sector_corrector posted:

I'm considering going down to the flooded area with the ghosts. How long do Transient Curses last?

Long enough that you sorta lose track just as they run out. 90 seconds, two minutes?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

sector_corrector posted:

Long enough, provided you don't dawdle

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'd guess about two minutes too. Use the tip someone told me: keep the transient curse in your item slot, when it runs out the icon will turn from greyed out to normal so you're more likely to notice it.

Nothing like charging into a cluster of 4 ghosts expecting to one shot them all with a single mighty blow only for them to butcher you instantly!

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Keep them in your action slot with only one other thing, your Estus. Switch to Estus when needed, but keep them in the active slot. You'll know when it runs out because it won't be greeted out anymore.

Mr. P
May 22, 2001

Genocyber posted:

The FPS Unlocker is an option in dsfix. It won't get you banned; GFWL doesn't ban anyone ever, hence the fairly rampant hacking. I'd suggest using it, but not going above 30; enabling it prevents weird 15 FPS locks in some places, and going above 30 speeds up the game and causes other glitches, since the game was made to run at 30 FPS.
I haven't noticed any 60 FPS bugs yet, and it feels a lot smoother! But I've only started using it recently.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Stuck on the GFWL key input. I've read about a few fixes, from uninstalling and reinstalling to installing MS Flight which apparently has the most up to date client and should work. Thats almost done downloading now but in the mean time the other fixes have not worked for me. The ones I've read have specifically mentioned Windows 8 so I thought I'd be in the clear, but no.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

scamtank posted:

Long enough that you sorta lose track just as they run out. 90 seconds, two minutes?
It's actually 5 minutes.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

codo27 posted:

Stuck on the GFWL key input. I've read about a few fixes, from uninstalling and reinstalling to installing MS Flight which apparently has the most up to date client and should work. Thats almost done downloading now but in the mean time the other fixes have not worked for me. The ones I've read have specifically mentioned Windows 8 so I thought I'd be in the clear, but no.
You can just download the GFWL client seperately

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've tried that, tried installing a couple of different ones I've downloaded, but it still keeps freezing. The thing that really bothers me is I can see it all load up to that point, and the cursor blinks for me to type in the key, but as soon as I click anything it freezes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

If you're wearing the gold serpent ring and/or have a decent amount of liquid humanity, long enough to get another one or two as drops.

Also, if you have a weapon which can kill them in one hit, long enough to kill all the ghosts in the area on one or two if you know where you're going and don't get lost.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

It's actually 5 minutes.

Just confirming this - I've timed it when watching streams before

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Did GFWL or Dark Souls update recently? When I try to boot it up I get a box telling me that Gibbed's intro skip can't tell what game version I have.

EDIT: Yeah, there's a new Gibbed intro skipper out that works fine. :downs:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 25, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Has anyone run into this before? My screen looks like this:

edit: went away when I removed DSfix. But god this game is ugly.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 25, 2012

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Has anyone run into this before? My screen looks like this:

oh for the love of god no you are the first

Turn off the in-game Anti-Aliasing and read the Read Me with DSFix.

Soothing Vapors posted:

edit: went away when I removed DSfix. But god this game is ugly.
:laugh:

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

doctor 7 posted:

oh for the love of god no you are the first

Turn off the in-game Anti-Aliasing and read the Read Me with DSFix.

That's what I get for skimming. :saddowns: Thanks!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls (PC Thread) Begone, in-game Anti-Aliasing, my resolution is mine and I am alive!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Genocyber posted:

How exactly does one cheese him? I've been trying and failing to beat him on my sl1 for a while now. Part of the problem is that my damage output is not nearly as good as it is for other bosses, due to his high HP.
You can shoot him in the face from outside the boss gate.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I fought a giant armored boar last night...

I had to stab it in the rear end to kill it properly. I got a helm for killing it.

\/\/ drat 'R' and 'T' being so close to each other.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 25, 2012

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SlayVus posted:

I fought a giant armored boat last night...

I had to stab it in the rear end to kill it properly. I got a helm for killing it.

Have to admit, having to kill a giant armored boat would be pretty cool.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

SlayVus posted:

"Just killed my first boar!"

*has maxed out vitality*

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

SlayVus posted:

Why do you have so much health and stamina?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Update that could be of use to someone else, as per the steam support page, I ran the directx and gfwl redists from the games folder (steam/steamapps/common/dark souls/redist) and now its working.

edit: like a fool of course I spoke too soon. its now crashing after the opening video.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 25, 2012

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls (PC Thread) Begone, in-game Anti-Aliasing, my resolution is mine and I am alive!

Can this please be the new thread title?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tractor fanatic posted:

Why do you have so much health and stamina?

Dark Souls is hard... DON'T JUDGE ME

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less
Why learn the game when you can just hack it; it's 2012 people!

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Ok so I just bought it for based gaben winter palooza 2012, and I'm trying to use the controller emulator with my PS3 controller (connected via usb cable) and it's not recognising. Little help?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

SlayVus posted:

Oh but we will.

Besides, no amount of vitality and stamina is going to save you later on if you don't learn at least the basics, and that's what the Burg and Parish are for. Every enemy you have to fight is stupid, slow as poo poo and falls to basic block and counter, now go man up and have fun being scared for your life, or take things up a notch and end up having to turn on an invincibility cheat I guess, that's fun.

Also yeah, the antialiasing situation is out of control. I don't know about a title change, but this should be at the very top of the OP.

quote:

:siren: IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE DSFIX TURN OFF INGAME ANTIALIASING :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SlayVus posted:

Y'know for all the poo poo people give it, Dark Souls really is not as hard as it's made out to be. Sure, it's a tough game, but it isn't "throw your controller at the wall OH MY GOD I CANT TAKE THIS" hard. Once you learn how to actually fight things it's sort of on the easy side until it tries to shoehorn in platforming or gives you an enemy that's too big to block.

Also, what's this 'man mode' thing people are talking about of late? Is it, like, a specific character setup or something?

• Locked thread