Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As a clown, Gamzee has a natural understanding of comedic timing. The bribes had nothing to do with it; he knew that he'd have no choice but to wait until the exact moment Dirk had made up his mind.

Equiusprite wearing Lil Hal, now that the glasses are cracked, would be a reasonable and appropriate facsimile of an amalgamated personality like Erisol and Fefeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

tinaun posted:

No. Equius was prototyped behind his back. That's it. Only Equius. Forever.

Thanks, Gamzee.

Thamzee.

Bless you, Gamzee.

Blamzee.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Emacs Headroom posted:

Isn't the "alpha" nature of the timeline just meant to contain time problems like the grandfather paradox etc.? It seems like it's determined by consistency ("stable time loops") rather than by fiat. The only way Lord English could have control over the time players through the alpha timeline itself would be if he was responsible for the creation of their universes (or at least the heroes themselves) in a way that required him to enter before doing the creation...

From a ways back, yeah I think the alpha is at least partially based on fulfilling timeloops, but as Lord of Time, and with the knowledge of those towers, Caliborn will probably have a much easier time setting up timeloops. Basically what he's got to do is set one up so that part of it is set in the very far 'past' while other parts far in the 'future'.

For example, the creation of the green sun meant that events had to go a certain way until it resulted in its creation, namely Scratching A1 -> A2 creating and loving up B1 -> Rose and Dave heading out to Furthest Ring with Tumor and so on. Basically everything we saw up to EoA5 but still including some stuff from B2 was in service of fulfilling the creation of the Green Sun loop.

LE's method of entry into universes is similar- he comes in at the end, then goes back to the beginning, creating a timeloop encompassing the whole universe. Events must go his way in order to avoid a paradox.

Now it's possible though, that Caliborn (or someone else) may have set up a timeloop that extends even further into the 'past/future' than the green sun loop. For example, we know that the meteor still has to get to wherever the cherubs were, and the cherubs have to be created somehow, and so on... As long as some 'future' LE can keep going back to set up timeloops, then events must play out such that the future LE will exist in order to set up that timeloop ie. the alpha timeline.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bongo Bill posted:

As a clown, Gamzee has a natural understanding of comedic timing. The bribes had nothing to do with it; he knew that he'd have no choice but to wait until the exact moment Dirk had made up his mind.

Equiusprite wearing Lil Hal, now that the glasses are cracked, would be a reasonable and appropriate facsimile of an amalgamated personality like Erisol and Fefeta.

The bribes were a sweet bonus though.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
And unto us a sprite is born.

Incidentally, this update reminded me of the Doc Scratch = LE's autoresponder idea. I still have no idea how this would work out, but there are a lot of tonal similarities/illustrative contrasts between Scratch and the AR in this update. Specifically, the way in which the AR is always telling the truth but in a particularly slanted or limited way, and its claim that it doesn't want to die.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

lil' Hal posted:

TT: Dirk.
TT: Don't do this.
TT: Why not??
TT: Because.
TT: I can't let you do that, Dirk.
TT: What can you do to stop me?!
TT: Nothing I guess.
TT: The ironic Hal routine was all I could think to do.

Welp. There's pretty much no way we aren't getting an "I can't let you do that Dave." at some point down the line.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

And unto us a sprite is born.

Incidentally, this update reminded me of the Doc Scratch = LE's autoresponder idea. I still have no idea how this would work out, but there are a lot of tonal similarities/illustrative contrasts between Scratch and the AR in this update. Specifically, the way in which the AR is always telling the truth but in a particularly slanted or limited way, and its claim that it doesn't want to die.

This quote in particular rang alarm bells for me:

"TT: There seems to be no end to me. Like, wherever my mind falters, or threatens to retreat into the void in any way, my splinters pick up the slack, ensuring there'll always be more of myself than I could ever know what to loving do with. "

The specific mention of Void there is alarming in hindsight now that Equis has appeared on the scene. If dirk prototypes equiusprite with lill Hal then a version of himself may well have 'retreated into the void' which means that it could potentially replicate itself ad-infinitum resulting in more of dirk then we could ever know what to loving do with.

The main bulk of the Lil Hal Becomes Doc Scratch theory seems to believe that Hal will become the template which is duplicated across all sessions and given body as doc scratch.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
This is most likely the funniest sequence in Homestuck. "Hello" made me burst out laughing more than anything else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doc Scratch was made from the First Guardian sequence code, the genes for Lil Cal and a Magic Cue Ball, and Gamzee's wild card code. The First Guardian code on Alternia was much longer than the ones from Earth, so it's possible that the "t1ck t0ck 8r8k h34ds" contained both the First Guardian sequence from the "MEOW" and "BARK" codes and the sequence responsible for Lord English, in which case it's possible that the "honk HONK" code encoded something else altogether.... But why would it be the glasses, which have nothing but a speech cadence (also shared by Dave, Karkat, and Andrew Hussie) and a tendency to call itself omniscient (less sincerely) and manipulate others in common with Doc Scratch?

Each of Doc Scratch's other presumed ecto-ancestors left some visual cue (pun intended). From Cal, his puppet body; from the cue ball, his head; from Caliborn, the suit, suspenders, and ability to become Lord English; from the First Guardian gene, nigh-omnipotence and the Green Sun energy signature. Surely something would be pointy or have excellent hair if he has some Dirk genes in him.

No, I think it's far more likely to be a purely symbolic parallel without any literal causal effects. Many of the kids have things in common with Lord English; creating a more intelligent assistant who knows what its creator wants better than he himself does and constantly fucks with everybody in the process of achieving it, plus having some affinity with Yaldaboath, means Dirk has something in common with his tormentor.

He's not the only one, of course. John was clueless and only by the guidance of a sinister troll did he become the most formidable player in his session. Rose sought the aid of Doc Scratch (which, notably, backfired on her; perhaps Lord English will turn out to have been wrong to put so much trust in that wily huckster) and eventually became a mastermind of universe-spanning schemes of her own. Dave is a Time player who uses that ability to make sure things go his way and is often dismissive of others' feelings. Jade has Green Sun powers and hates the idea of being ruled by fate. Jane only with reluctance entertains ideas whose relevance to her isn't obvious. Jake glorifies violence, is not the sharpest tool in the shed, and is named English. Roxy jumped at the opportunity to become more powerful and cheat death. And, of course, there's Karkat, the ambitious guy who considers Jack Noir a friend, imposes his irresistible anger on everything around him, impatiently pursued every shortcut to success, and is speculated to also have had Yaldaboath as a denizen. I'm certain more such parallels will become evident as we watch sessions B2 and U unfold.

I don't think Dirk's going to be more involved than anybody else in the existence of the villains.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Gamzee once again saves Dirk from himself. Sort of. But he can still throw Lil' Hal in and have pointy-shaded Equius!

Christmas was great at home, the boy and I both got new hoodies (void for him, doom for me) and the Con Air poster that hangs above John's bed for him. It was meant ironically, but he likes it unironically which I guess works out too. :) Unfortunately, still no kickstarter loot.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 25, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Land of Fans and Music 2 is on Bandcamp now but the direct download links are still being worked out, so everyone hold on tight/continue drinking eggnog.

In the meantime, Ave Dei Novi is a track I made specially for LOFAM about 5-6 months ago and you should all listen to it! I posted a snippet of it back in July-ish but apart from myself and the people involved in setting up the project nobody has heard the full song!

Doghead, Finale Strife, and Elegy for a Thief are also on there, with some sicknasty cover art.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is exactly what I wanted from a Dirk/Lil Hal conversation. Cool.

Also, can we just take a moment and appreciate a conversation that references TMNT and reptiliacentric models of the universe in the same paragraph? God drat, Hussie.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I love how dirk immediately recognizes equius as another insufferable version of himself. throw the shades in there, dog. nothing else left to do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gamzee works in mysterious ways.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

NEVER

STOP

HONKING

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was sure that Dirk's head and/or headless body would end up being prototyped.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone suspected Equiuspritee. I wanted Equiusprite. So much so, that I thought that Andrew Hussie would NOT do it just to spite us. But behold, he was just saving it for a Christmas present.

Whether or not this will turn out to be Halquiusprite, I'll be happy either way.

That said, I hope people weren't distracted by the majesty of STRONGNESS away from Dirk and Lil' Hal's conversation. Dirk has some issues that definitely peg him more as an emotionally confused teen who doesn't want to appear weak, as opposed to the mastermind sociopath that people like to paint him as.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This Christmas, give the gift of Equius.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Bongo Bill posted:

Karkat ... is speculated to also have had Yaldaboath as a denizen.

Why Karkat? Surely if any of the trolls had Yaldaboath it would have been Equius or possibly Gamzee. Were either of their denizens ever mentioned?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dirk likes to paint himself that way, but he's aware of it. Characters in Homestuck are all lonely, perhaps even miserably so, and their responses to that loneliness are what make them. He said as much himself:

quote:

TT: Irony is all I ever really had.
TT: In response to my basic existential quandary.

Point is, these guys got issues. Luckily, their predecessors are en route with issues of their own, and they will slowly and painstakingly grow through them before our very eyes, except for Davesprite and Lil Hal, the former of whom will wear be wearing the latter when they get a tragic gesture of self-sacrifice, symbolic of how they have become redundant relics of their originals' past selves.

I think that Dirk is likely to forget to respond to Roxy for a while, because it would be appropriate at the moment for everybody to be isolated.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alternately, Lil Hal gets handed to Equiusprite, not prototyped, and the two form a symbiotic relationship where Lil Hal bosses him around and Equius enjoys it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

No one else noticed that Lil Hal lied to Dirk about the date of the birthday party?

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Also he kinda blocked Roxy from getting any kind of help by lying to Dirk. Lil' Hal is a dick.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Oh, almost forgot to link this song which heralded the return of one of the best trolls.

change my name posted:

No one else noticed that Lil Hal lied to Dirk about the date of the birthday party?

I forgot if the time in-comic is the day of, or the day before. I remember Jane's breakdown was actually on the day before. Either way, it's pretty well known for him to try and nudge the truth aside to his own advantage, and he probably didn't want Dirk to be too distracted on the day he was supposed to be prototyped.

Mission failed! Sure hope you like the unique living organism process of sweating, Lil' Hal. :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So I got comissioned for music I guess?

Along the Dotted Line

(Soundcloud link)

Dunno if anyone cares but I suppose it is homestuck related. I guess I'm just excited that someone liked my music enough to want to give me stuff for it. I remember when I first started doing this about a year ago, (even though I'd rather not because most of it was bad) and I do genuinely think I've gotten better. It's a nice feeling.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that if Hussie is also somehow thrown in I think the new universe would be born just out of an equine singularity and the B2 kids don't have to come. The current universe would end not with a bang, but with a whinny.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 25, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

change my name posted:

Pretty sure he didn't. I don't think Roxy was out long enough for the party to no longer be "tomorrow".

He did steal Roxy's pickles line, though. (Ironically, I'm sure.)

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So I got comissioned for music I guess?

Along the Dotted Line

(Soundcloud link)

Dunno if anyone cares but I suppose it is homestuck related. I guess I'm just excited that someone liked my music enough to want to give me stuff for it. I remember when I first started doing this about a year ago, (even though I'd rather not because most of it was bad) and I do genuinely think I've gotten better. It's a nice feeling.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that if Hussie is also somehow thrown in I think the new universe would be born just out of an equine singularity and the B2 kids don't have to come. The current universe would end not with a bang, but with a whinny.

I'm really jealous of your composing skills. It take me weeks just to complete a song :qq:

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
EDIT: Nevermind.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This Christmas, give the gift of Equius.

It's the STRONGEST gift you can give.

This was the best Christmas present. The Gamzeeist Christmas.

Gamzeemas.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The best Christmas present.

God bless Huss, every one.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meanwhile Hussie gets the gift of signature-induced carpal tunnel :v:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Tollymain posted:

Meanwhile Hussie gets the gift of signature-induced carpal tunnel :v:

Our Huss, is an awesome Huss...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, given the joke about how much of a self-insert Dirk is, I wonder if there's some genuine Hussie self-loathing mixed in there... Having a copy of your brain from three years ago is almost what the website is for him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, looks like Dirk really was thinking of killing himself! Just not the same himself.

This was a really, really good log. It takes so long to build up to significant character moments that we often argue whether a character even has one coming, or if they need one or not (there's still arguments about just how aware Jake is and whether his behaviour is conscience/subconscious denials of reality or if he's really just that dumb). It's good, strong writing like this that gives us the payoff for all the months of speculation and inference.

Also, Hal and Dirk breaking down the irony walls only at the point of death is pretty cool. It literally takes the threat of murder before Hal begs for life.

Oh, and it is quite cool how both Dave and Dirk have problems with themselves, expressed in different ways. Their interactions are going to be a lot more fun for the significant personal developments and observation than for the silly cool-guy stuff.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

MyFaceBeHi posted:

It's the STRONGEST gift you can give.

This was the best Christmas present. The Gamzeeist Christmas.

Gamzeemas.

The angel Makara on Zahhakmas Day...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bonus ironies:

- Equius, with his white and red, is Santa colored, just in time for the holidays.
- Equius made a red-blood troll be blue-blooded. And now he is red.
- This might actually be for the best, considering that someone with similar interests and a similar forceful personality might be a good person for Dirk to talk to right now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Unless being a sprite makes Equius think he's lower on a hierarchy than Dirk. Then things will get sexually charged and awkward. And sweaty.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Things Dirk should do right now:
- Snap the shades in half.
- Cut the sprite's head off.
- Snap Gamzee's neck.

Things Dirk will do:
- None of those.
- Probably something really retarded like putting the shades in the sprite.
- Regret the poo poo out of it later on.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

VJeff posted:

Things Dirk should do right now:
- Snap the shades in half.
- Cut the sprite's head off.
- Snap Gamzee's neck.

Things Dirk will do:
- None of those.
- Probably something really retarded like putting the shades in the sprite.
- Regret the poo poo out of it later on.

Don't listen to this man, Dirk. Put the shades on the sprite. Do it for science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can imagine Dirk giving Equius the shades with instructions to do whatever they tell him to. It'd be consistent with the way the other sprites' presence appears to be minimized, while also producing gags related to Equius'... proclivities.

The line about Dirk's mind retreating into the void means we're surely going to see further developments with this guy.

What a great update. A dramatic, climactic, introspective conversation full of Striderian metaphors that deepens one of the more interesting character dynamics (cf. Dave's dream that Rose visited), and hilarious antics culminating in a Jailbreak-esque obstruction and the long-awaited return of Equius. God bless us, every one.