Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm pretty tired of Venom being all gigantic with slavering jaws and poo poo. I miss the original Venom from ASM #300 (yes, I know this is Ultimate Venom, but still) who was just a guy who worked out a lot wearing Peter's old suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm pretty tired of Venom being all gigantic with slavering jaws and poo poo. I miss the original Venom from ASM #300 (yes, I know this is Ultimate Venom, but still) who was just a guy who worked out a lot wearing Peter's old suit.

I kind of agree, I always liked the idea that the appearance is more dependant on the host. Peter had the most control over it so he was largely able to keep the symbiote in check and looked pretty normal. Gargan was full on monster mode pretty much all the time because the symbiote was shown to have greater control over him than Peter or Brock, and Eddie was somewhere in between. I also think I'm the only person who thought the Angelo Fortunato Venom was pretty cool looking.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 25, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So did Peter died right there as his entire chest has been punched out?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nope turned out he had spider-elasticity.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It was some other dude in the costume if I recall correctly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So U. Spidey continues to own but can someone give me a quick background on Venom? I remember reading that in the ultimate universe the symbiote was a project or something (to cure cancer?) and Eddie was a friend of Peter? Is Eddie dead? Is this the same symbiote by itself aka was the any loose strings from the last time venom showed up to tie to this?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So U. Spidey continues to own but can someone give me a quick background on Venom? I remember reading that in the ultimate universe the symbiote was a project or something (to cure cancer?) and Eddie was a friend of Peter? Is Eddie dead? Is this the same symbiote by itself aka was the any loose strings from the last time venom showed up to tie to this?

Eddie was last seen absorbing the Carnage symbiote off of the Gwen Stacy clone and becoming some sort of huge red-eyed goopy Megavenom.

He then gets captured by Ultimate Beetle with a Ghostbusters wrist device and taken to Latveria to be delivered to his employer, Doctor Doom, and then Ultimates 3 happened. Post-Ultimatum, where Ben Grimm crushes Doom's head for some reason, that plotline was sort of just left dangling and Eddie Brock doesn't seem to be relevant anymore. This isn't the same Venom, apparently.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Eddie was last seen absorbing the Carnage symbiote off of the Gwen Stacy clone and becoming some sort of huge red-eyed goopy Megavenom.

He then gets captured by Ultimate Beetle with a Ghostbusters wrist device and taken to Latveria to be delivered to his employer, Doctor Doom, and then Ultimates 3 happened. Post-Ultimatum, where Ben Grimm crushes Doom's head for some reason, that plotline was sort of just left dangling and Eddie Brock doesn't seem to be relevant anymore. This isn't the same Venom, apparently.

I haven't read it but someone mentioned there was a story after Ultimates 3 explaining why Venom looked like 616 one too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Venom in Ultimates 3 wasn't even Venom. He was just something Doom/Quicksilver/whoever cooked up.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Venom in Ultimates 3 wasn't even Venom. He was just something Doom/Quicksilver/whoever cooked up.

That's... something, I guess.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mister Chompers posted:

That's... something, I guess.

Loeb.

Look, can we never mention Ultimates 3 again? We've all agreed that it was a massive pile of shite.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Sion posted:

Loeb.

Look, can we never mention Ultimates 3 again? We've all agreed that it was a massive pile of shite.

Wait Loeb wrote the story explaining it away too?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Mister Chompers posted:

Wait Loeb wrote the story explaining it away too?

Christ no. You expect Loeb to ever have to mop up his own poo poo?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sion posted:

Christ no. You expect Loeb to ever have to mop up his own poo poo?

That lately has been Parker's job, also Bendis trying to make sense of it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Gonna step up to the plate and say that the last two issues of Ultimate X-men have been pretty loving rad. Wood is finally no longer beholden to some of the most toxic poo poo in Marvel comics at the moment and is free to mostly do his own thing and it's pretty great.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Wasn't the USM video game in continuity? I think Brock escaped the Beetle in that one and gained control over the suit. Or was the story retold in the above panel?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rugbert posted:

Wasn't the USM video game in continuity? I think Brock escaped the Beetle in that one and gained control over the suit. Or was the story retold in the above panel?

The game was retold in War of the Symbiotes. The one in which Eddie was Forest Gump.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

He was last seen killing Betty Brant after she "discovered" who new spiderman is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

He was last seen killing Betty Brant after she "discovered" who new spiderman is.

We do not know if that is Eddie. It would make sense for the new Venom to have a connection with the Miles

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The solicitations say the new Venom is connected to his father in some way.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

We do not know if that is Eddie. It would make sense for the new Venom to have a connection with Miles

What if it's Ganke? :ohdear:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Genetic Toaster posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

I really, really hope they don't go that way ever with Ganke. He's the best. Don't destroy him :ohdear:

Project2501
Dec 29, 2012

Contains no milk

Dacap posted:

The solicitations say the new Venom is connected to his father in some way.

It's a zombie version of his uncle. Would make sense that he would have had the symbiote had he gotten it in one of his raids of villain tech.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Project2501 posted:

It's a zombie version of his uncle. Would make sense that he would have had the symbiote had he gotten it in one of his raids of villain tech.

That doesn't make sense with what he told Betty, though, which really sounded more like an Eddie thing to say but could be a red herring.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sion posted:

Gonna step up to the plate and say that the last two issues of Ultimate X-men have been pretty loving rad. Wood is finally no longer beholden to some of the most toxic poo poo in Marvel comics at the moment and is free to mostly do his own thing and it's pretty great.

Yeah, Ultimate X-men is finally getting its balance again. A bunch of kids fighting and disagreeing arbitrarily is believable.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ultimate Venom is a bit of a mess of late thanks to Loeb, but this is the general timeline:

Eddie and Peter's parents invent the suit to cure cancer. Instead it just multiplies the Symbiote in the blood and turns people into monsters. Eddie steals this, becomes Venom, and runs off when hit by electricity (the suit's weakness in this continuity, soundwaves don't appear to affect it).

Venom and Eddie reappear, but now the symbiote leaves Eddie and bonds with Spiderman again, which in turn is separated from Spidey by SHIELD. This plot point seems to have been forgotten, but it's not hard to assume the captured symbiote was destroyed during one of the many recent attacks.

Ultimate Gwen-Carnage appears, this triggers a resurgence of Venom in Eddie's blood. Eddie-Venom then absorbs Carnage and leaves.

Eddie becomes a homeless cannibal telling people the video game story like the aforementioned Forrest Gump. Ultimate Beetle, who works for Doom, captures him.

A "Venom" appears in Ultimates 3 and then promptly melts away. Since it was a Loeb plothole, most fans just handwave it was a sort of robot that Ultron cooked up. This sort of fits Venom's capture by Doom since he was the real mastermind behind Ultron's attack. Speaking of which, I am 100% certain that Doom will reappear eventually and the Doom killed by Grimm was a Doombot.

Venom reappears in 16.1 when he kills Betty Brant for doing a little too much investigating into Miles and Spiderman and was going to sell the info.

That's the last appearance so far. Since Doom is apparently dead, it's not hard to assume Eddie could have escaped.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 5, 2013

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

A "Venom" appears in Ultimates 3 and then promptly melts away. Since it was a Loeb plothole, most fans just handwave it was a sort of robot that Ultron cooked up. This sort of fits Venom's capture by Doom since he was the real mastermind behind Ultron's attack. Speaking of which, I am 100% certain that Doom will reappear eventually and the Doom killed by Grimm was a Doombot.

The Ultimates 3 Venom was confirmed to be a robot. It's not just a hand-wave.

Does anyone of pictures of Mad's original Ultimates 3 pencils, wherein he drew Cap with head-wings?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

drat straight. Nothing better happen to him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

thet0wer posted:

The Ultimates 3 Venom was confirmed to be a robot. It's not just a hand-wave.

Where was it specifically said that Venom was an Ulton bot? I mean, we the readers know it was, but I'm just wondering where the confirmation in-universe was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Where was it specifically said that Venom was an Ulton bot? I mean, we the readers know it was, but I'm just wondering where the confirmation in-universe was.

They weren't Ultrons, they were some kind of clone thing made by Doom, and it was mentioned in a single line of dialogue somewhere in the book.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
All this Loeb talk reminds me... what was the end game of that whole "Oh Black Panther was just Cap in a suit... oh wait now he's a real guy and he has wolverine claw nubs on his knuckles... I'm so confused right now" thing? Was Cap just dressing up as Panther for shits and giggles or what?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LightsGameraAction posted:

All this Loeb talk reminds me... what was the end game of that whole "Oh Black Panther was just Cap in a suit... oh wait now he's a real guy and he has wolverine claw nubs on his knuckles... I'm so confused right now" thing? Was Cap just dressing up as Panther for shits and giggles or what?

The plot that makes the most sense is that Black Panther was dressing up as Steve Rogers. It was Halloween.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

LightsGameraAction posted:

He was a Wakandan mutant experimented on by Weapon X that SHIELD conscripted, Cap pretended to be him so Panther could escape back to Wakanda.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The West Coast Ultimates are gonna be introduced in an upcoming arc, here's what they'll look like. I'm assuming that Vision and Black Knight will be ignoring the previous iterations of the characters that they did already.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 20, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No Ultimate Squirrel Girl?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Gorilla Salad posted:

No Ultimate Squirrel Girl?

Saving her for Great Lakes Ultimates.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dacap posted:

The West Coast Ultimates are gonna be introduced in an upcoming arc, here's what they'll look like. I'm assuming that Vision and Black Knight will be ignoring the previous iterations of the characters that they did already.

The West Coast Black Knight, because gently caress what've we got to lose at this point.

He is almost certainly going to be an actual black guy isn't he?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Nilbop posted:

The West Coast Black Knight, because gently caress what've we got to lose at this point.

I'll be disappointed if he isn't drawn to look like Martin Lawrence.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Nilbop posted:

I'm more amused by the fact that he looks almost exactly the same as the Batman/Iron Man analogue Tek-Knight from The Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're probably all going to die/never ever get mentioned again after two issues anyways.

• Locked thread