Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

http://i.imgur.com/Mbiu2.jpg

Here's almost an exact transcription of the supposed e-mail that the myth originated from. If you can read this and don't understand why it's racist it's probably the pointy white hood obscuring your vision.

Oh dear.
Yes, that is rather horrible.

However, without having seen that, all I got from this thread was that there was a myth about the name 'Adasha' spelled with a hyphen, and that somehow this was inherently racist, which didn't seem like a logical step to me.

So thanks for providing the background, but less thanks for making snide remarks about the KKK just because I hadn't seen that e-mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

Show her the movie and thank your lucky stars she isn't one of the many, many kids born over the past few years named after a Twilight character.

There is a kid in my stepdaughter's Girl Scout troop actually named "Twilight". No loving idea what the unlucky runt's middle name is, probably something like "kardashian".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's probably Sparkle. :suicide:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Has Twilight been around long enough for kids named after it to be in schools and scout troops?

That also made me wonder why there wasn't a run of kids named Harry and Hermione over the past fifteen years.

Scam Newton
Oct 3, 2012

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
I used to work for a chicken store in Alabama. One of my favorite customers is Kennef. Yes with an F, it's on his debit card.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jojoinnit posted:

That also made me wonder why there wasn't a run of kids named Harry and Hermione over the past fifteen years.
Classy people, upon growing up, name their kids after their favorite authors or storytellers otherwise. Not-quite-so-classy people, upon growing up, name their kids after their favorite media.

And then nutjobs name their kids something because "god told them to." Like my folks :smith:

I wouldn't be surprised to see an influx of Joannes. Maybe Terrys, too, but that might be too much of a boy-named-Sue sort of name at the moment.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Dec 25, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see an influx of Joannes. Maybe Terrys, too, but that might be too much of a boy-named-Sue sort of name at the moment.
In the UK at least, Terry is still a regular boys/mans name. Whats Joanne referring to?

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
I spent a summer teaching in various places in China and had students old and young named some interesting stuff:

Oven
Heavy
Orange
Water
Queenie
Feather
Pony

(Feather and Pony were best friends :3:)

These kids got to pick their own English names when they enter school. I say more power to them, I hate my first name (which is innocuous enough, save for the fact that my parents allowed my older sisters to choose a name from the TV show "Full House").

As for people laden with unnecessarily unfortunate names by their parents, my eldest sister attended school with a girl named Peaches Moonchild, and another girl named Kristafyr Ariel Storm Brown. You can come up with your own Bastardized Boy's Name-Disney Character-Natural Phenomenon-Color name and pretty much strike gold.

my dog boyfriend!! has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Dec 25, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Someone with the name Heavy and a Chinese surname would sound like a character from a John Woo movie. For that, I could never disrespect him.

Scam Newton
Oct 3, 2012

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

VogeGandire posted:

Someone with the name Heavy and a Chinese surname would sound like a character from a John Woo movie. For that, I could never disrespect him.

Heavy Wang
Heavy Nakamoto
Heavy Chin
Heavy Wang

It's all comedic gold

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Scam Newton posted:

Heavy Wang
Heavy Nakamoto
Heavy Chin
Heavy Wang

It's all comedic gold

Dude I know it's christmas but slow your 'nog

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jojoinnit posted:

In the UK at least, Terry is still a regular boys/mans name. Whats Joanne referring to?

The J in J.K. Rowling :eng101:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Cantwell F Muckinfutch III.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
This might be the wrong thread because this is the best name ever, but: Merlin Pickle.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Scam Newton posted:

Heavy Wang
Heavy Nakamoto
Heavy Chin
Heavy Wang

It's all comedic gold

Nakamoto isn't exactly Chinese.

I agree, though, that "Heavy Wang" is a great name.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
A rather successful and diversified kid showing multiple exhibits at the local fair: Rambob Ramos.

I'll never be as cool as that guy.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Parents, why?

crashnburn254
Jul 14, 2009

:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:
I met a man who changed his name to "Mr. Oo-la-la". :psyduck:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A friend of mine works for an import/export company (he says it's a remailing and receiving service for international shipments, I still think it's a drug cartel) and posted on Facebook around a year ago "My ebony brothers and sister, we have to talk. It's about what we're naming our kids. I was going through job applications and I have a resume from someone named 'Bumquisha.' What the gently caress were her parents thinking?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

A friend of mine works for an import/export company (he says it's a remailing and receiving service for international shipments, I still think it's a drug cartel) and posted on Facebook around a year ago "My ebony brothers and sister, we have to talk. It's about what we're naming our kids. I was going through job applications and I have a resume from someone named 'Bumquisha.' What the gently caress were her parents thinking?"

Is your friend's name Art Vandelay by any chance?

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Boyfriend once encountered at a callcenter job one "Velvet Teat".

Yikes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Mushmouth posted:

Boyfriend once encountered at a callcenter job one "Velvet Teat".

Yikes.

Well, I certainly hope he made it up to you. :rimshot:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son went to school with a HerMajesty. I met the girl and her younger brother, HisMajesty, at open house. I also gathered from conversation that they also had another brother named YourMajesty. At first I thought the girl was playing around, because she was running around in a princess costume. But nope, HerMajesty all over the classroom stuff.

And when I was working as a cashier at a grocery store, I came across WIC checks for a Khrystyan pretty often. I though it was Krystin/Krysten at first, until the mom said it out loud as "Christian".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What I'd like to know is why mangled to gently caress and back spellings have suddenly become so popular. Like, some of them you can't even tell what they are until somebody says them out loud, but god drat do people get angry if you say it wrong.

I once encountered a Cara. And was informed it was pronounced like "Sarah," quite angrily, after I said "Kera."

I mean, are they trying to be creative? By giving their child a common name but spelled different? That's not really "creative" at all. And what's wrong with common names, anyway? I'm one of very many Davids and, well, I kind of like the name David.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Dec 29, 2012

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

And when I was working as a cashier at a grocery store, I came across WIC checks for a Khrystyan pretty often. I though it was Krystin/Krysten at first, until the mom said it out loud as "Christian".

Khrystyan sounds like a Star Wars character.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My name is [snip]

It's a respectable goddamn name. Sure, it's common, but why does everyone have to be a special loving snowflake?

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Dec 9, 2023

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Because Alexander doesn't look near as cool on a Facebook announcement as Ahlekzyndyr.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I used to work at an apartment community in a less affluent part of town and gave a tour to a woman by the name of "Laphilshaderrickicia." This is how it was spelled on her license.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I'd like to know is why mangled to gently caress and back spellings have suddenly become so popular. Like, some of them you can't even tell what they are until somebody says them out loud, but god drat do people get angry if you say it wrong.

My pregnant coworker is considering naming her unborn son "Brycen" because "we're just going to call him Bryce anyway, so that will keep the spelling consistent." She is also considering naming him Clayton, so I put my vote towards that.

I also know a baby named Brysen Tyger. His parents are both huge Mizzou (University of Missouri) sports fans, despite never having attended the school or had any loved ones who played for them or anything. They all have all sorts of Mizzou merchandise all over the place. His mom's engagement ring was even black and yellow diamonds.

Unique spellings!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

jojoinnit posted:

Has Twilight been around long enough for kids named after it to be in schools and scout troops?

Wiki tells me it was published in 2005, so there could be kids up to age 7 or so named after it.

This thread makes me so glad that my friends and family have been pretty sensible with their naming, at least of the ones I've seen on facebook.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

I used to work at an apartment community in a less affluent part of town and gave a tour to a woman by the name of "Laphilshaderrickicia." This is how it was spelled on her license.

That sounds less like a deliberately mangled spelling to be "unique" and more like a traditional African name, which is less awful and more cool. If memory serves, certain African naming traditions are way different than western ones. Instead of the parents giving a new baby a name, friends and family all visit the new baby and everybody tacks something else onto the name. It gives very, very unique names. I think that specific pieces and phrases have specific meanings but I don't know enough about African naming traditions to tell you. Either way, it's a pretty cool cultural thing.

Sometimes African names can get complex and unpronounceable to westerners. This comes to mind in a guy that goes to my school from Cameroon. The majority of his name looks and sounds like gibberish to people that aren't from Africa. However, one part of his name was perfectly pronounceable, as it resembled an English word so that's what everybody called him. I forget if it was analogous to a last name or a middle name, but everybody called him Divine. Which, actually, is a pretty cool thing to be called. Though it was kind of funny to hear him talking to professors on the first day. They'd get a syllable out and he'd just say "Don't worry, you cannot pronounce it. Just call me Divine."

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I once met two brothers named Hawk and Wolf.

A really old guy I once had for a teacher had Pink as his middle name.

I knew a girl whose name was A Christmas Shadow On The Snow, but she went by Shadow. None of that's her middle or last name, by the way.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I have met some families with daughters named Princess, and they all act like that for some goddamn reason. I guess the mothers really wanted to be a princess as a kid? :smith:

Princess is also apparently a mildly popular name for girls in the Philippines. I worked with a Princess for a few years (who was my elder), and she was pretty chill about it.

I work with various Indian guys, and they have a tendency to pick their own "English" name (a fairly common phenomenon, as I understand it), if they want it. So I work with a Lucky and a Pinky.

Oh, and someone whose last name is Pimple.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The other day I had to go back and correct a work email to a Megan when I noticed she spelled it Mehgann.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Dec 30, 2012

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Sheila Dikshit

Yeah yeah, I'm so culturally insensitive... but she's sort of lived up to her name.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I had a grad school classmate who emigrated from Easter Island and originally only had one name. When he entered the US apparently they simply doubled his name, making him Aslan Aslan.

I also knew a Truestar Urian and Swampna Ready in high school.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Mizz'Unique. To this day it's like the only name I remember from high school.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!
Not sure if cool or stupid, but I have encountered the following:

Dawn Sentence - Council employee, mostly an amusing coincidence I imagine.
Mr Dragonlord - Utilities customer, blatantly changed by Deed Poll and thinks he's in a Fantasy novel.
Mr Psycho Clown - Utilities customer, again changed by Deed Poll but this gentleman's voice was loving terrifying and so I can only assume the name is to ensure no one goes near him. Ever. Especially not children.

I've encountered hundreds of daft names in the course of my 5 years working for a power company, those are some of the more memorable.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jojoinnit posted:

The other day I had to go back and correct a work email to a Megan when I noticed she spelled it Mehgann.
H before G? "Meh-gann"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes African names can get complex and unpronounceable to westerners. This comes to mind in a guy that goes to my school from Cameroon. The majority of his name looks and sounds like gibberish to people that aren't from Africa. However, one part of his name was perfectly pronounceable, as it resembled an English word so that's what everybody called him. I forget if it was analogous to a last name or a middle name, but everybody called him Divine. Which, actually, is a pretty cool thing to be called. Though it was kind of funny to hear him talking to professors on the first day. They'd get a syllable out and he'd just say "Don't worry, you cannot pronounce it. Just call me Divine."

Sometimes it's the accent, too. Between the original accent and the colonization poo poo, you have people with silent g's ,k's, and w's, r's pronounced as w's, and so on. African names can be a bitch and a half to spell/pronounce sometimes.