Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I have this

It's not home-made but not too expensive. You could probably rig something up like this with a trip to the hardware store.

I usually use it with just one arm for the flash. I've done a little bit of playing with clipping a sheet of white paper to the second arm like a little reflector, but haven't spent the time to make this worthwhile yet.

edit- yeah- that cord is what I mean.

Ok, cool, I'll just print the photo of that rig and take it to my dad, will keep him busy for a few days. He loves that kind of poo poo.

Thanks much for all the info, I appreciate it. I'll post a photo here after I get it all worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I got some extension tubes in today, and I realized that I could get ok macro shots from ~4 feet away now with this setup

My fish are less than amused about this (not pictured: the flash that sits on top of everything).

DSC_0091.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0092.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0093.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Same thing with a p67 lens on the end instead and I can get some greater than 1:! magnification

Magically Delicious by MrDespair, on Flickr

English Muffin by MrDespair, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Found in my apartment.

Critters at home 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Critters at home 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Critters at home 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Then you need to leave your apartment.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Or clean. With a hammer.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You guys have issues, spiders rule.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That is what basically every place in Australia looks like, FYI.

It is literally impossible to get rid of all the critters that find their way into your house. Sometimes they're lizards!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Lizards would be awesome! But this is Tassie, which is kind of like Australia for beginners. Only three species of snakes (don't worry, all are venomous), and only two species of spiders that have ever killed anyone (redbacks and some straight-out-of-your-nightmares large funnel web spider). I think the top one I posted with the orange legs is some kind of jumping spider, it moved in that special way they have. The other spider didn't move at all, even with me blasting it with guide-number 53 flashes from 6 inches away.

Also, I'd like to remind you this is the macro thread - objects pictured are smaller than they appear.

Eeek posted:

Then you need to leave your apartment.
Good news! I'm off tomorrow for 5 nights of camping in the murderific Tasmanian wilderness!

Edit: the fighting ants I posted last page are either Jack Jumpers (Myrmecia pilosula) or a close relative in the same genus; Jack Jumpers kill more people in Tassie than spiders, snakes, sharks, and wasps combined, if you believe the Wikipedia article. What's not to love?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 24, 2012

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I do need to add that I am completely kidding. I can pretty much assure you I'd be on my belly most of the time taking pictures of all the awesome things crawling around over there.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Merry Christmas!

Who wants some turkey chilli?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Is it from like three years ago and you just found it at the back of the fridge?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

InternetJunky posted:

Merry Christmas!

Who wants some turkey chilli?

Whoa o_o How zoomed in is this?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

somnambulist posted:

It's just really, really, really large mold.

:catstare:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
At first glance I was wondering if I was looking at coral or something. Then I read the description. Haha, that's awesome and disturbing at the same time.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is it from like three years ago and you just found it at the back of the fridge?
Two years old, maximum.

somnambulist posted:

Each picture is perhaps 1/2 cm x 1/2 cm. It's tough to say because some were taken with a crop body and others with full frame, all at different distances.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Haha, that's awesome and disturbing at the same time.
It's probably disturbing how many mould pictures I have now.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This was taken with the kit zoom, so not really macro. But I don't know where else in the Dorkroom to put my bug shots.

Tuesday Drive to Freycinet 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

And a visitor to the entrace area of my tent on Christmas day.

Tuesday Evening at Freycinet 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The critterquest thread in gbs is a good place for all critter shots.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: Wrong thread; disregard.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Are there any old 90-105 macros that didn't skyrocket in price the past few years?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Depends what you mean by "skyrocket". I have a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro that is my favourite lens that cost me $400 about a year ago. The Viv S1 90mm, which does 1:2 instead of 1:1 like the 105, seems to go for about $150-200. Both of these are manual-focus lenses from the mid-1980s, if your camera can't support a lens mount from that era then the above information is irrelevant.

It seems like almost every lens Vivitar slapped "Series 1" on back in the day had some sort of advertised macro capability; the ever-popular 70-210 zooms can do about 1:2.5, and I have a 28-105 f/2.8 that goes to 1:2 (and is absolutely delightful, and was cheapcheapcheap - $40, right here on the forums - thanks again, Nannypea!).

What system are you shooting? Pentax (or, apparently, Canon EF-S via adaptor) can use old K-mount manual focus stuff, going back to the mid-1970s. Macro lenses have always been popular, and it seems like the 90 or 105mm designs were figured out a while ago, I've seen 3rd-party lenses for sale from the late 1970's, though I have no idea about quality.

Also: 105mm macro + wireless flash + half a bottle of wine and a beach at sunset = FUN
Lightroom is digesting the photos right now. Bugs move too fast for me when I've been into the Pinot Noir, but the flowers are sexy.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I got a nex 5n so I can adapt almost anything. Currently I have a sears 55mm macro that only goes to 1:2. Its surprisingly unsharp and too short anyway for my liking.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Minolta MD mount (also known as MC or SR mount, there are differences in how these behave on the later manual-focus Minolta bodies, but they're minor) has stayed pretty cheap. They made a few 100mm macro lenses over the manual-focus years, this site provides a head-to-head review of two of them:
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/100mm%20macro.htm

though it's not clear that the lenses are able to achieve 1:1 without extension tubes. A quick look at ebay suggests $200 as the upper end for Minolta manual-focus 100mm macro (watch out for the AF version, more expensive, and usuable sans adaptor on modern Sony DSLRs).

EDIT: poking around sites dedicated to now-defunct lens mounts (Konica AR, Yashica) it seems the usual approach to 1:1 macro circa 1985 was a lens capable of 1:2 coupled to an extension tube or bellows. This goes some way to explaining the way my Vivitar held its value over 25 years. This site suggests the Canon 200mm macro had no need of such contrivances to achieve 1:1, with the added bonus of a huge working distance suitable for the more paranoid little critters.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 14, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I bought my 75mm p67 lens for about $110, reverse mounted it'll do around 1:1.

So what I'm saying is that it's a great excuse to buy a pentax 67.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You may remember this lovely lady. She made a kill tonight!

She Made a Kill 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

That's what an abdomen full of beetlejuice looks like.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Finally found one. Hooray!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Does anyone have any hands on with the Sigma F2.8-4.5 17-70mm DC Macro lens? I am thinking of picking up a used one for my D5100. I am getting tired of my DCR-250 and want something new. Mostly going to be used to document plants and their parts.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just snagged a good deal on an older Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8 AF lens. Can't wait to play with a proper macro lens, and not have to gently caress around with reversing rings and extension tubes.

edit: drat, that was some fast shipping. Good job USPS! Played around a bit on my lunch break, and I can already tell I'm going to love this lens. Still don't really know what I'm doing, but here's a few quick shots.

DSC_2792.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_2805.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_2826.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_2817.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_2794.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 26, 2013

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I found a sick bee. Not sure what was up with him. So I built a tiny studio for him, got some pictures and stuck him on a branch.

edit: swapped picture.

Eeek fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 27, 2013

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I set up a 10 gallon photo tank today, and got a handful of shots I'm pretty happy with.

Maybelline by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_3088.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 28, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The second one looks great but it could use a little work in post.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm still pretty much a complete novice with Lightroom, so that's definitely something else I need to work on.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why does only one of your fish have a name? :(

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

HookShot posted:

Why does only one of your fish have a name? :(

Maybe she was born with it..

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The second one is Big Jilm, but Flickr didn't update the name in the link. :(

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
One of these things is not like the others.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 29, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

There's still time (just!) to enter the Dorkroom photo contest!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526403

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

There's still time (just!) to enter the Dorkroom photo contest!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526403

Thanks, I'll do that!