Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

diehlr posted:

It's amazing that in such a short period of time, the Crucial M4 went from the bandwagon go-to value / reliability darling to an apparently bug-ridden mess.
Crucial had a similar spate of firmware issues with the previous C300 that were resolved, but yeah it's bizarre that the M4 had a long run of working relatively well, then they completely hosed up every firmware update since 000F...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hey, I didn't see this mentioned in the OP. I'm installing my new 240 gig SSD, and I'm seeing conflicting opinions on whether to clone my old hard-drive to it or to do a full reinstall of Windows 7. Some people say that Windows will automatically optimize itself to the SSD when you clone it, and others are saying you need a clean install to take advantage of all the benefits. I've transferred most of my extra data to a 3rd hard drive already, so there shouldn't be any space issues to prevent me from doing a straight clone, but I want to make sure I don't lose any of the perks to having a SSD. Any experience/advice on this?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Cloning and then running the Windows Experience Index benchmark thing should be all you need.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Clone, run Windows Experience Index, voila. All the tweaks that Windows would make on a fresh install are made.

e:f;b

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Awesome, thanks!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

diehlr posted:

It's amazing that in such a short period of time, the Crucial M4 went from the bandwagon go-to value / reliability darling to an apparently bug-ridden mess.

I don't know, 040H resolved the only issue I had with one drive and I have 3 in other machines going just fine, 2 of which are over the 5000 hour thing. No hung boots or etc.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
What it the best mSATA drive around 64gb in size out there?

I'm looking for one to go in a Intel NUC computer.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

stevewm posted:

What it the best mSATA drive around 64gb in size out there?

I'm looking for one to go in a Intel NUC computer.
If you're not using the Thunderbolt model, the Mushkin Atlas (or Atlas Deluxe) like it says in the OP. The 120GB Atlas is probably a better option as it's a much better value. The Thunderbolt model is defective and can only be used with an SSD if the fan is set to 100%, which is crappy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Alereon posted:

If you're not using the Thunderbolt model, the Mushkin Atlas (or Atlas Deluxe) like it says in the OP. The 120GB Atlas is probably a better option as it's a much better value. The Thunderbolt model is defective and can only be used with an SSD if the fan is set to 100%, which is crappy.

Awesome, thanks... Had read through a OP a few times, didn't see the mSATA section, did this time!

Will be using the cheaper USB/NIC model. Looking at using them at work for POS PCs and other light duty workstations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Discospawn posted:

Hey, I didn't see this mentioned in the OP. I'm installing my new 240 gig SSD, and I'm seeing conflicting opinions on whether to clone my old hard-drive to it or to do a full reinstall of Windows 7. Some people say that Windows will automatically optimize itself to the SSD when you clone it, and others are saying you need a clean install to take advantage of all the benefits. I've transferred most of my extra data to a 3rd hard drive already, so there shouldn't be any space issues to prevent me from doing a straight clone, but I want to make sure I don't lose any of the perks to having a SSD. Any experience/advice on this?

As long as the clone aligns the partition.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Haven't seen many reviews on the Sandisk drives, are they any good? Thinking about getting one for boxing day.

Sandisk Extreme

Trax416
Dec 1, 2006

Oh My Science posted:

Haven't seen many reviews on the Sandisk drives, are they any good? Thinking about getting one for boxing day.

Sandisk Extreme

apparently it has some firmware issues last I heard. People on their forums seem pretty pissed.

Honestly, it seems like there are way more SSD's to avoid then buy at this point.

I was looking at that same drive before I decided not to buy. Really nice, quick drive, but the firmware threw me off. Will be good if/when it's fixed though.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Trax416 posted:

apparently it has some firmware issues last I heard. People on their forums seem pretty pissed.

Honestly, it seems like there are way more SSD's to avoid then buy at this point.

I was looking at that same drive before I decided not to buy. Really nice, quick drive, but the firmware threw me off. Will be good if/when it's fixed though.

I do believe the firmware issues were resolved with the latest R211 release, but they were really slow about releasing firmware that fixed an issue with TRIM not working properly, probably the slowest of the Sandforce using SSD companies. I own one myself and I can't say I've had any issues with it.

One supposed advantage for Sandisk is that since they are a NAND manufacturer themselves, they tend to put their most choice memory in their SSD's.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Boxing Day came early on NCIX so I grabbed a 520 series 120 GB for $99 for my new build. Excited, this is my first SSD system drive.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've been searching through my BIOS to try and find a toggle for AHCI mode and can't find anything specific, is this related or am I out of luck:

Assuming my bios doesn't support AHCI, is there anything to be aware of other than TRIM not being enabled, and how much of a performance hit should I expect from not having TRIM?

For reference, I'm looking at picking up a Samsung 830 128gb.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
What motherboard is it? Wild guess: Is it an old nForce 680i? If it doesn't it's really not that big a deal. If it isn't under the selection you have highlighted there you probably won't have it at all. When I had my Corsair X32 and nForce 680i with no AHCI what I'd do is image the drive in Acronis to one of my mechanical drives, use a PartedMagic boot disc to Secure Erase the drive (this restores performance to factory) and then use the Acronis boot disc to restore it. It would take me about 10-15 minutes total to do this from start to finish, I'd do it every 6 months or so.

Here is the guide I used when I was first figuring out how to do it: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344

You can use any free backup program instead, like Paragon's one or Macrium Reflect.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's a Gigabyte GA-G31MF-S2 circa 2007-8, but yeah there's nothing under the highlighted section.

That guide you posted is fantastic, thanks :)

e; It looks like Samsung's Drive Magician lets you run a manual TRIM/Garbage Collection anyway, so it should be all good.

blunt fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 25, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Received a samsung 840 for christmas. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts before it poops.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Broke down and paid extra for a 520 intel rather than getting the sandisk, not worth the risk.

vv Thanks for the reply but I have had no issues with my 120gb Intel 520 ssd in my macbook pro, and it was only 30 dollars more.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 26, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

Sandisk Extreme
A little late but these have been extensively discussed, they are fine drives, I own one personally. The "firmware issues" mentioned were the Sandforce TRIM changes. How TRIM performs was improved over a few firmware revisions recently, there were not any reliability-impacting issues.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Oh My Science posted:

Sandisk Extreme

I have the 240 GB one. Really nice. I posted some links to reviews when I got it (a few pages back). It was reviewed quite positively. Quick Toggle NAND, like the Mushkin Chronos Enhanced drives.

The latest firmware for it came out in October. Before that there were no major issues - just some minor TRIM performance issues.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Peven Stan posted:

Received a samsung 840 for christmas. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts before it poops.

I was given one as a present too. 250gb Samsung 840.

I've read all of the commentary about them in this thread over the last month or so, and in the OP, so I'm aware of the negatives on these drives. Question is, is it bad enough to warrant the hassle of returning it and using the credit towards a different drive, or just roll with it for now and not keep anything vital that isn't backed up on it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If you already have a 250GB Samsung 840 I wouldn't worry about it, just keep good backups and report back.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

If you already have a 250GB Samsung 840 I wouldn't worry about it, just keep good backups and report back.

Always willing to be a guinea pig for SHSC :patriot:

It's going into either my cheapo gaming rig or my old as balls santa rosa whitebook. Either one is not mission critical and I have backup drives if necessary.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
A friend of mine, who is also a goon, just bought two OCZ Vortex 3 120gb. I am trying to tell him to return them before its too late but he's pretty adamant about keeping them. He showed me his parts list before he ordered the stuff and he had two 830s on there, but I guess they sold out so he went with OCZ.

This thread gives me the feeling that they are going to jump out of his pc and murder him while he's sleeping but I can't find too many bad reviews of them to convince him to return them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Better a Vertex than an Agility

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just found out I had my bios set to IDE mode for my Sandisk drive. I wonder if that was causing any problems?

I just managed to change it to AHCI successfully using:
http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/

I had to use the key iaStorV rather than storahci as they suggested though.

edit: The change made my windows experience index for drive speed go from 7.1 to 7.9. wee :)

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 26, 2012

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Bob Morales posted:

Better a Vertex than an Agility

My bad, they are Agilitys.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
He can go ahead and use them if he really wants, but there's what, a 5-8% chance per drive that the drive will fail?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Ninja Rope posted:

He can go ahead and use them if he really wants, but there's what, a 5-8% chance per drive that the drive will fail?

plus, 2 drives, and most likely in raid 0, so basically a 100% chance of failure

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Newegg has the SanDisk Extreme 240 GB on sale for $159.99, for 48 hours. Think I might pull the trigger for this as it's high time to put an SSD in one of my older Mac Pros.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Newegg has the SanDisk Extreme 240 GB on sale for $159.99, for 48 hours. Think I might pull the trigger for this as it's high time to put an SSD in one of my older Mac Pros.
This is a great option, I bought one during the Black Friday sale. Just make sure you update the firmware to the latest before you use it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I saw on HardOCP some guy put together a gaming rig with 6x512MB OCZ Vertex 4's in RAID-0. This makes me laugh pretty hard because I wonder how fast that array will destroy itself.. a week?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

redeyes posted:

I saw on HardOCP some guy put together a gaming rig with 6x512MB OCZ Vertex 4's in RAID-0. This makes me laugh pretty hard because I wonder how fast that array will destroy itself.. a week?
I love how the number of drives in a RAID0 array is inversely proportional to the chance that the RAID controller has an interface as fast as the array. 6-drive RAID0 over PCI-E x4? Don't mind if I do!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm considering a purchas eof this Intel 520 Series 240GB 2.5in SSD SATA3 SSD. However, I'm not sure if it will work on my current laptop (Speccy indicates that my current HDD is SATA 2).

Will a SATA 3 SSD work on my laptop that's currently using a SATA 2 HDD?

\/ Thanks! :hfive:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 26, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

I'm considering a purchas eof this Intel 520 Series 240GB 2.5in SSD SATA3 SSD. However, I'm not sure if it will work on my current laptop (Speccy indicates that my current HDD is SATA 2).

Will a SATA 3 SSD work on my laptop that's currently using a SATA 2 HDD?

Yeah it's all backwards compatible, but you won't get that delicious 6 Gb/s speed.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm beginning to think the 840 Pro isn't going to see awesome sales for awhile (256GB capacity). Maybe I'll just get a 520 or something.

My 120GB Vertex 3 MI has 4GB free :negative:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmmm, NCIX has the Intel 330 series SSD 240 GB drive for the same price as NewEgg's SanDisk Extreme, $159.99 with free shipping.

Looks like the difference would be that 1) the NCIX Intel price is good until 1/2/13 and 2) it's Intel's manufacturing but still SandForce based, does getting the Intel buy me anything other than a better return system?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 26, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Hmmm, NCIX has the Intel 330 series SSD 240 GB drive for the same price as NewEgg's SanDisk Extreme, $159.99 with free shipping.

Looks like the difference would be that 1) the NCIX Intel price is good until 1/2/13 and 2) it's Intel's manufacturing but still SandForce based, does getting the Intel buy me anything other than a better return system?
The SSD 330 uses faster but lower-endurance flash memory. The endurance isn't an issue for desktop workloads, so at the same price I'd probably go with the Intel drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Fallows posted:

A friend of mine, who is also a goon, just bought two OCZ Vortex 3 120gb. I am trying to tell him to return them before its too late but he's pretty adamant about keeping them. He showed me his parts list before he ordered the stuff and he had two 830s on there, but I guess they sold out so he went with OCZ.

This thread gives me the feeling that they are going to jump out of his pc and murder him while he's sleeping but I can't find too many bad reviews of them to convince him to return them.

I know you changed and said they're Agility but for what it's worth I've had a 120gb Vertex 3 as my boot drive for a year and a half I think? Maybe a tad less. Never had a problem so far (knock on wood)

In keeping with my tradition of buying exactly what this thread doesn't recommend, I just ordered a 256gb Crucial m4 for my new laptop. It won't really be put under much stress but it's not really stress that kills these things right? Just sort of random defects?

Edit: one thing I forgot to even look into were hybrid drives, which probably would have been just as good for the things I'll use it for.

• Locked thread