Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The second gen Speed3 and the ST both are a bit too try-hard and boy racer for me. I liked the understated insanity of the first gen Speed3. The hood scoop and awful interior in the second gen is enough for me to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

The second gen Speed3 and the ST both are a bit too try-hard and boy racer for me. I liked the understated insanity of the first gen Speed3. The hood scoop and awful interior in the second gen is enough for me to avoid it.

The overall look of MS3 is why I went for the 6. Its just so much more grown up and mature in comparison. I don't know what it is about the ST the I like so much.
Maybe that rumored Fusion ST will actually happen and be on par with the MS6.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apparently Costco doesn't carry battery size 26R :( . Anybody have any recommendations where I should get one? O'Reilly's was really expensive last time and it only lasted a year and a half.
edit:
These valves are supposed to have caps on them, right?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

CharlesM posted:

Apparently Costco doesn't carry battery size 26R :( . Anybody have any recommendations where I should get one? O'Reilly's was really expensive last time and it only lasted a year and a half.

They can look you up by your phone number. If your battery is nuked, you should get a replacement for free.

Also, that looks like the low pressure AC side. Don't worry about a missing cap unless it really, really, really bothers you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you have an Interstate Batteries nearby they have great prices, better than the parts chains.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The missing cap only bugs me because both are missing and I know they were there before I had the dealer look at my A/C system.
I'm thinking the problem might actually not be the battery but the problem I had before with the EVAP system. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was just the battery. I was so tired last night I couldn't really think straight.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It's all good. Sometimes I get "tired" halfway through the day on a weekend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So since I'm probably going to buy the Corksport exhaust with some car sale funds I was curious if there's a do it yourself undercoating that's of decent quality. Since we're gonna have the car up in the air for a while I figured I'd do some under body protection.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I like my Skyactiv Mazda3 but I swear to god my 18 year old Accord never rattled half as much as this thing does after 1 year. Is the dealership going to roll their eyes at me if I bring it up? Do they even have any effective anti-rattle solutions? I can't point them to any particular place because the location of the noise changes from day to day.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
My 2010 MS3 lease is quickly coming to a close.

Took a look at a 2013 yesterday. Major interior upgrade with that nav screen, Pandora integration, etc. Love it.

Has the fancy headlights. Different projectors and they turn. The 2010 low beams suck worse than the stock lights on my 30 year old Alfa.

Other changes include less red on the dash, new gauge colors, black shifter (as opposed to chrome) and black accents around it (as opposed to the fake chrome).

On the outside, not sure the black wheels are doing it - I know they did it to probably cover up the fuckload of brake dust this car makes, but it looks a little Fast and Furious, as do the LED clear taillights.

It's still the best car in the segment, however :banjo:

Hit an Apex fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, the Mazda curse seems intent on getting me on the MS3 one way or another:

*Someone ran into the rear passenger door just enough to damage the beltline trim, and there just enough to make it interfere with the front passenger door.

*Just now it popped the traction control light, with code C1282 "yaw sensor" set. I can't find any info on this online so far.

Edit: Goddamnit. Instructions in the manual for this sensor include:

Mazda posted:

Warning
• If the initialization procedure is not completed, the DSC will not operate properly and it might cause an unexpected accident. Therefore, after replacing or removing the combined sensor or DSC HUlCM, make sure to perform the initialization procedure to insure proper DSC operation.

So even doing the diagnostic processes (i.e. checking for proper voltage / ground at the sensor, reseating the connector, etc) are things I can't do without a Mazda computer. And it looks like a $550+ part. :smith:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 17, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Double posting in hopes that perhaps any of you have ever seen/used anything like this: http://www.ecutool.com/Ford-VCM-OBD_8129.html#4

It looks sketchy as hell, and I'd at least be buying it from one of the many eBay sellers in order to maintain some minimal purchase protection... but I wonder if this would let me run the self-tests needed to let me diagnose / replace the sensor on my own?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

Double posting in hopes that perhaps any of you have ever seen/used anything like this: http://www.ecutool.com/Ford-VCM-OBD_8129.html#4

It looks sketchy as hell, and I'd at least be buying it from one of the many eBay sellers in order to maintain some minimal purchase protection... but I wonder if this would let me run the self-tests needed to let me diagnose / replace the sensor on my own?

I don't have direct knowledge of this device - however:

Looking at the code (not to mention the site patscode.com, mentioned several times), this appears to just be basic ELM327 USB adaptor like any other. I'd suggest downloading the software onto a 'can be reloaded if filled with garbage' XP machine, and trying it with any generic ELM327 - assuming you already have one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Interesting. I've got an original ElmScan 5 USB and a bluetooth Chinese ripoff, I may poke it with those.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

Interesting. I've got an original ElmScan 5 USB and a bluetooth Chinese ripoff, I may poke it with those.

The ElmScan 5 Compact is also a clone. v:v:v

On the FordOwnersForum they have some modifications to do for a 2009+ Focus to change proprietary settings within the system, but I haven't found anything directly applicable to the Mazda side.

If you can get it to talk with HyperTerminal (read codes, etc via the basic AT commands, I can't see why this other software wouldn't work. The XP driver (your linked device) installed is just the bog stock ELM-USB CDC Driver.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any NorCal owners here? Anybody go to the dealer for service?

edit: Also, for you (first gen? dunno if there is a difference) hatchback owners what do you use for a rear wiper? Last time I tried an after market on I accidentally broke the plastic wiper arm from trying to force in the blade, when it turned out the connector was too big. The stock one streaks even when brand new. Kinda annoying.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody have a service manual for the 3 or even 6? I'm curious if it has some info on the radio.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I'm in NorCal and go to the dealer for service on my 2nd gen Mazda3. What do you want to know?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What dealer do you go to? Do you like them?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

edit: Also, for you (first gen? dunno if there is a difference) hatchback owners what do you use for a rear wiper? Last time I tried an after market on I accidentally broke the plastic wiper arm from trying to force in the blade, when it turned out the connector was too big. The stock one streaks even when brand new. Kinda annoying.

I used this but it didn't really improve anything back there.

Stability control code hasn't recurred so there's that at least. Thinking I might tackle the intake valve cleaning / EGR cleaning / thermostat replacement around New Year's.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My CEL that came on as I entered California has gone off on its own. I'm guessing that the gas station attendant didn't put the cap on right in Oregon (full service only state).

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

CharlesM posted:

What dealer do you go to? Do you like them?

Wheeler Mazda in Yuba City, and so far I've had a good experience with their maintenance and warranty work. I've only owned the car for a year though, so I've just been there a couple times.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
This might be a really stupid question, but how do i check the transmission fluid on my 2008 Manual M3i? The manual shows where the dipstick is for auto transmissions, but not manuals :(

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Turd Nelson posted:

This might be a really stupid question, but how do i check the transmission fluid on my 2008 Manual M3i? The manual shows where the dipstick is for auto transmissions, but not manuals :(

Manual gearboxes are more or less sealed. To check the fluid you'd have to remove the fill plug on the side of the transmission and stick your finger in.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On the Mazdas I've done it's a bolt on the top. I can tell you for sure tomorrow.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Today I tackled my EGR P0401 code on the MS6 since inspections are due at the end of the month. I have cleaned my EGR valve once before in my 2 year ownership (at 51k miles, currently 72k). The first time I did it I wasn't as thorough in the clean. From the last time I remembered what a freaking joke the turbo inlet pipe was (if it can even be called that) in its design so I picked up the Cobb black silicone version from rallysport direct which is only 2 blocks from where I work. The installation went quite smooth and it seems to boost a little better. I'll post pics when I upload them from my phone.
I attacked the EGR valve and the part it bolts to pretty hard with some brake cleaner and a tooth brush. I for the life of me cannot figure out an easy way to get the tube off of the front of the block for cleaning so I took and gamble and decided to call it done. IOC, did you take off the tube to clean? I wonder if it is easier to access on the MS3.
The results have been good! About 30 miles and no CEL. It has been on for nearly a year and a half. My next plans are for the Cobb short ram intake and maybe the access port so I can delete the EGR map.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ugh that reminds me my CEL came back on. I have a code reader coming Monday though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

Manual gearboxes are more or less sealed. To check the fluid you'd have to remove the fill plug on the side of the transmission and stick your finger in.

Ah that's exactly what it is. For some reason I thought these had a top fill. You're supposed to replace the crush washer, too.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Thanks for confirming I can't check the transmission fluid! I was having hard shifts from neutral to first and first to second during my ~5 mile commute to work, but this weekend I did some long drives and once the problem went away once the car warmed up.

I have another question - If i got a cold-air intake for my 2008 non-speed 3i, would i feel noticeable difference in acceleration or mpg? Are they difficult to install for a person who isn't terribly car-literate?

Also, I'm interested in getting HID lights, but I don't know what I should look for in a kit. Has anyone installed an aftermarket kit and how did it turn out?

Turd Nelson fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 25, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't know what we did, but Mazda sent us a Skyactiv Mazda 6 to show off. They can't sell it, and I am assuming they won't let me drive it either, but it's sitting out front. I'll snap some pics Wednesday and see if they will let me get in it though

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Turd Nelson posted:

Also, I'm interested in getting HID lights, but I don't know what I should look for in a kit. Has anyone installed an aftermarket kit and how did it turn out?

Unless you're talking about retrofitting HID projectors into your stock headlights don't bother. Installing a rekeyed HID bulb into a non-HID housing results in beam scatter that not only blinds everyone else on the road, but also lights the road ahead of you inadequately.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Turd Nelson posted:

I have another question - If i got a cold-air intake for my 2008 non-speed 3i, would i feel noticeable difference in acceleration or mpg? Are they difficult to install for a person who isn't terribly car-literate?

If you can differentiate between what a screwdriver, ratchet and socket are you should be fine. It's seriously not that difficult and doing so will make you learn things! As far as power in a non-speed, I'd say doubtful. It might give you a tick or two in mpg but I may be wrong.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Probably just converts your $ into noise.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

Geoj posted:

Unless you're talking about retrofitting HID projectors into your stock headlights don't bother. Installing a rekeyed HID bulb into a non-HID housing results in beam scatter that not only blinds everyone else on the road, but also lights the road ahead of you inadequately.

I'd like to do it the proper way! I've been reading about HIDs and I haven't been able to find any guides about doing a retrofit. What exactly does this entail?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The proper way includes making sure you are using HID-specific housings - the problem is that the effective shape of the light source for an HID arc is very different than a filament within a halogen bulb, so you need to focus them differently (HID bulb in a non-HID housing will blind the gently caress out of other drivers). Strictly speaking, installing them without a means for leveling them within the car is also considered a bad idea.

Given that the Mazda3 is available with factory HIDs, I think your best bet would be to get all of the relevant parts from an HID-equipped car? At the least you're going to be looking at housings, bulbs, ballasts and associated wiring, and possibly the leveling system.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Self-leveling/cabin controlled leveling is a nice touch but not necessary, as long as you can manually aim them. Cars sold in the US typically lack these unless they're more or less a direct import from the European/world market.

AFAIK factory 3 HIDs are very hard to come by, and are obscenely expensive when you find them (I saw a pair once on ebay for north of $1500.) Dealer parts department rates are going to be even worse, I'd guess a junkyard is going to be your best bet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Self-leveling/cabin controlled leveling is a nice touch but not necessary, as long as you can manually aim them. Cars sold in the US typically lack these unless they're more or less a direct import from the European/world market.

I do have a laugh every time someone posts "OMG YOUR HIDZ ARE ILLEGAL UNLESS YOU HAVE AUTOLEVELING" seeing as the factory MS3 leveling setup is a knob you adjust, and the manual gives you a list of positions to set it to based on the weight in the car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's like a dimmer switch deal, basically. I actually wanted to get a Grand Touring model but it wasn't pragmatic for me to pay that much. That, and finding a manual transmission one let alone without the moon and tunes package was impossible without custom order.

Edit by the way, my CEL was P0126, coolant temperature too low. The thermostat was bad. This appears to be a problem with the 3, at least, maybe the other models too.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Edit by the way, my CEL was P0126, coolant temperature too low. The thermostat was bad. This appears to be a problem with the 3, at least, maybe the other models too.

My MS3 has the same issue, on and off for the past year+ actually (I let it go because it only gets cold enough to set a CEL during the winter). I'm going to replace the thermostat finally, probably this coming long weekend.