Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

RCarr posted:

Is there any news on GTAV multiplayer? Have they added cops to the free roam yet!?

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Check multiplayer preferences in your phone real quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don't tell me I'm that stupid. Please don't let this be true.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

RCarr posted:

Don't tell me I'm that stupid. Please don't let this be true.

Some of the best times I had in freeroam were heading to the prison with friends and just mowing down the cops who tried to take it back over.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Welp... Looks like GTA4 just got a whole lot of replayability for me!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well I just finished Lost & Damned hoping that things would turn out better after how bad GTAIV ended. Nope, Ashley is asking for $40 again (despite promising rehab) and the Lost clubhouse is charred. Things don't really seem to go well for these folks :smith:

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 14, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Go play TBOGT for a more happy end!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Alright I think I'm approaching the end of GTAIV (only recently picked it - I've always loved GTA but my computer wasn't remotely good enough to keep up) so I decided to hunt down this thread to keep on top of the upcoming GTAV.

The OP doesn't say a lot, so I'm left wondering: what's goons' general feelings towards GTAIV? From what I've read so far I'm getting a "it was pretty poo poo" vibe, but when I started it myself a few weeks ago it blew me away. The installation was a ball-ache and the storyline is getting a bit boring, but the physics and graphics are just beautiful.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KKKlean Energy posted:

Alright I think I'm approaching the end of GTAIV (only recently picked it - I've always loved GTA but my computer wasn't remotely good enough to keep up) so I decided to hunt down this thread to keep on top of the upcoming GTAV.

The OP doesn't say a lot, so I'm left wondering: what's goons' general feelings towards GTAIV? From what I've read so far I'm getting a "it was pretty poo poo" vibe, but when I started it myself a few weeks ago it blew me away. The installation was a ball-ache and the storyline is getting a bit boring, but the physics and graphics are just beautiful.

It's actually an amazing game that made massive amounts of money, got great reviews, and is generally loved. Some people are just weird and hate that it isn't exactly the same as X older game and those people are just spoilsports.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KKKlean Energy posted:

The missions started off pretty boring with vanilla GTA4, but the city and details of the engine are amazing. Ive been playing since it came out and havent felt the need to replay single player but MP still has a lot of life left.

Ive said it too many times but you can already see how these next gen GTA titles are playing out just like the last series did. GTA3 was pretty awesome for its time but it was pretty barebones compared to VC and SA. After (I assume) they got used to the engine they were able to add a lot more stuff in VC and even more in SA. VC even ran a lot smoother than GTA3 (at least on my PC) while looking better.

I dont believe they improved the graphics at all with the episodes but you could see that the missions they gave you let you do a few more interesting things, like the mission in TBoGT where you were crawling on top of a moving subway train.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you don't pay too much attention to the story, it's not a bad game at all, and in fact I consider it personally one of my top 10 favorite games of this console generation. That said, it's still not my favorite GTA game, and everything about GTAV so far makes me think I'll like it more than IV.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The opening is great, it slows down in the middle, gets poo poo towards the end and the multiplayer (when it's on form) is loving astounding.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

It's actually an amazing game that made massive amounts of money, got great reviews, and is generally loved. Some people are just weird and hate that it isn't exactly the same as X older game and those people are just spoilsports.

The plot drags a fair bit and sort of wanders here and there between various cliches, and the attempts to paint Niko as a fundamentally good man didn't really sit well with his actions during the game (let alone how the average player plays the game)

Some people do just exaggerate stuff to insane degrees though, like the whole "Your friends call you every 5 minutes asking to go bowling!" The calls are really not that frequent and can entirely be ignored without penalty. (The bonuses you get are generally not that useful except Romans free Taxis and Jacobs cheap guns in the early game)

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

I didn't play it until last year and at first I was like "holy poo poo look at how awesome this is," then as I played on the more I began hating the game and how the story is structured and the characters and every mission is exactly the same and the free roam part of the game lost its appeal because running from the cops is boring as poo poo and its drat near impossible to gently caress around without getting the cops to bounce on you, and even if you could there's a whole lot of nothing to do in the city.

It really seemed to me that they focused on making the city and forgot to put anything interesting in it. The friends stuff never bugged me though.

I don't think gta4 is poo poo, mostly just okay, but I definitely won't ever play it again.

I actually think Chinatown Wars is a better game.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

To make this thread go full circle again, the driving sucks.

Really tho, my opinion is that the game starts well and Liberty city itself is really well done but it just gets pretty boring and repetitive during the manhattan part and the story comes to a bit of a standstill where you don't really know what you're doing or why you're doing it, as well as the missions being identikit drive here, kill this guy (but not too soon!), escape. The New Jersey part is completely forgettable IMO.
It's still a great game that I've played through multiple times and its not poo poo but it certainly has its flaws.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

0 rows returned posted:

free roam part of the game lost its appeal because running from the cops is boring as poo poo and its drat near impossible to gently caress around without getting the cops to bounce on you, and even if you could there's a whole lot of nothing to do in the city.
So play freeroam with cops turned off. Go play with some other dudes, see what theyre doing. If youre playing on PC (you should be), download a trainer.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KKKlean Energy posted:

From what I've read so far I'm getting a "it was pretty poo poo" vibe, but when I started it myself a few weeks ago it blew me away.

A good game but it took a lot of steps back, added some pretty horrible decisions (and some benign ones that, while they didn't hurt the game, didn't add all that much either.) That combined with a very poor optimization for PC killed it for a lot of people or at least left a taste in their mouths.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I don't think many people think it's a bad game, it's just a pathetic sequel. If it it were a first effort by some random studio they would deserve a lot of acclaim, but given that it was created by people who had the experience to know better than to make all the mistakes that they did, it's just a good game that should have been much better.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
GTAIV was fun but jesus that middle part with killing random dudes and moving around drugs was tiresome. However all the crazy crossovers with the protagonists was sick. Kidnapping Roman comes to mind, along with Three Leaf Clover from Luis' perspective as a bystander. Its like all these guys interact on neutral terms but have no idea what consequences their actions have on eachother. It's really appealing for some reason.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Avocados posted:

Well I just finished Lost & Damned hoping that things would turn out better after how bad GTAIV ended. Nope, Ashley is asking for $40 again (despite promising rehab) and the Lost clubhouse is charred. Things don't really seem to go well for these folks :smith:

Kind of fitting though for a club of bikers who call themselves The Lost, don't you think?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I think I was disappointed in IV to begin with because it wasn't as silly as San Andreas. As time goes on though I have realised that the gorgeous surroundings to make up for it being a bit more serious.

I started the single player story again yesterday for the fourth or fifth time to warm up for V.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What are some good handy mods for San Andreas? Fancying a replay but not fancying the 2004 game mechanics, mainly the save system. I see we had a fancy mod thing now called CLEO which lets you use game-changing mods using special code.

Incredibly I have a save-anywhere mod now so that problem has been allieviated. Just wondering if there's anything out there still that I might of missed from the usual modsite rounds.

HD textures updates or something (the ones i've found usually involve horrible high poly cars with no textures, why do people insist on having real cars in these games?!)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

K8.0 posted:

I don't think many people think it's a bad game, it's just a pathetic sequel. If it it were a first effort by some random studio they would deserve a lot of acclaim, but given that it was created by people who had the experience to know better than to make all the mistakes that they did, it's just a good game that should have been much better.
It wasn't really a sequel, it was a brand new game in a brand new engine. They didnt really make too many mistakes, they just didnt make the SP as fun as it should've been.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cage posted:

It wasn't really a sequel, it was a brand new game in a brand new engine.

Bullshit, there was nothing in the RAGE engine that demanded them make the cuts and additions they did, the biggest gripes were all choices by the studio. Well, except for the PC optimization, that might have been down to the engine developed.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cliff Racer posted:

Bullshit, there was nothing in the RAGE engine that demanded them make the cuts and additions they did, the biggest gripes were all choices by the studio. Well, except for the PC optimization, that might have been down to the engine developed.
What cuts and additions were there?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cage posted:

What cuts and additions were there?

Cuts? Bikes, vehicle variety, property buying, fire/ambulance etc. minigames, SA's RPG elements, planes. Additions? TV, internet, shows, all of the friend activities, moral choice system. Bunch of other stuff too that I didn't get into.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Bikes were clunky, there's plenty of vehicles, property buying was more of a chore than anything else in SA, fire/ambulance had gotten stale, the RPG elements kinda sucked unless you used mods, and planes wouldn't have really felt right in the smaller space and scale of Liberty City (which only had space for one airport in it).

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Did anyone really miss the fire/ambulance missions? I just remember them being irritating BS I had to do to earn their perks.

The RPG stuff SA just added unfun grind, especially when you couldn't do the next story mission if you didn't level your swim meter for no good reason.

And you say minigames were cut but then criticise the friends activities (bowling, darts, pool etc) which were minigames. :confused:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cliff Racer posted:

Cuts? Bikes, vehicle variety, property buying, fire/ambulance etc. minigames, SA's RPG elements, planes. Additions? TV, internet, shows, all of the friend activities, moral choice system. Bunch of other stuff too that I didn't get into.
Bikes were there. There were as many vehicles as the past games. Property buying has always been pretty useless. Fire missions Ill give you but everyone complained about the minigames and the RPG elements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cliff Racer posted:

The people who bring up this sort of argument clearly have no idea what goes into making a new game on a new engine. They didn't pretty up the engine used for the GTAIII era games, it's an entirely new engine. Meaning they have to redo everything from scratch. They didn't cut anything from San Andreas because it was never in the game in the first place. They had to spend the time required to make the new engine and then make a game for it. This just happened to not be enough time to add in every single thing that San Andreas had in it, so stop crying about it. GTAIV is the GTAIII of its era, it introduces the new engine. GTAV will have more stuff in it because they could focus their time on adding things to the RAGE engine.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Avocados posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Johnny has gotten over Ashley and he's ready to lead the gang into a new age of prosperity.

The Lost and Damned's story gets even better when you realize it's basically just a retelling of Peter Pan.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Install Gentoo posted:

Bikes were clunky,

Whoa there. Maxing out your bike skills made them the awesomest thing ever. Going faster than cars and being able to jump over trucks never got old.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
When I said bikes I meant bicycles, not motorcycles.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pirate Jet posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Johnny has gotten over Ashley and he's ready to lead the gang into a new age of prosperity.

The Lost and Damned's story gets even better when you realize it's basically just a retelling of Peter Pan.

I thought the burning resembled the end of the gang. Glad to know it wasn't so. They weren't doing too well but then again with Johnny as the leader I think they had potential. It's apparent Johnny is over Ashley which im happy for, I was just hoping she would have kicked the habit. On the flipside Gay Tony has been hilarious so far and has been far more interesting than IV. The golf cart mission was incredible.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't remember the fire/ambulance minigames too well, but didn't GTA4 add a bunch a things you can do when you access the police computer in a cop car?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah GTA4 had vigilante missions, they were not randomly generated, but a fixed list. This made the missions better, but non-replayable. There were an assload of minigames to play in GTA4 though, so I dunno why he mentioned that was cut.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I meant the vehicle minigames specifically.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Welp, here we go again

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/joe-manchin-im-so-proud-of-the-nra-85311.html

quote:

“These are my friends,” Manchin, who previously served as governor, said of the NRA. “They’re good people. They’re hurting. They’re in pain the same way as every American about what happened to these twenty little children. And I’m not going to let anybody be villainized.”

“I’m so proud of the NRA,” Manchin said later. “I’m so pleased they agreed to be part of this.”

Manchin spent more of the interview putting the focus on violent video games and mental health issues.

“Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes,” Manchin said, adding later: “Shouldn’t that be looked into and maybe be banned?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJORBRpOPM

for peeps who can't click:Joe Manchin ran a campaign ad this season where he literally shot a cap-and-trade bill with a rifle.

This same guy was on NPR yesterday being asked if it's reasonable to put the assault weapons ban back into law or any other number of things we might try that could possibly affect real life gun violence and all he could say was 20 different variations of "I don't want to make any declarations, I want everyone at the table talking, lets not jump to conclusions"

But videogames are definitely to blame here. Why haven't we banned them?

Fuckin' A.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 20, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Avocados posted:

I thought the burning resembled the end of the gang. Glad to know it wasn't so. They weren't doing too well but then again with Johnny as the leader I think they had potential. It's apparent Johnny is over Ashley which im happy for, I was just hoping she would have kicked the habit. On the flipside Gay Tony has been hilarious so far and has been far more interesting than IV. The golf cart mission was incredible.
It's really open to interpretation. Obviously if you keep on playing, Johnny seems to still be a criminal and with the gang. I like to think he actually went straight in the end.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
New pics up. One thing though....are these the main characters from GTA3, GTA: VC, and GTA: SA in the same screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

89 posted:

New pics up. One thing though....are these the main characters from GTA3, GTA: VC, and GTA: SA in the same screenshot?

Those are from GTA5 and it is the 3 playable characters.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514948

• Locked thread