Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chris Knight posted:

pokeyman, could you be a bit more specific in the App Store other than just saying "Bugfixes" ?

Sorry about that, I was rushing to get it out the door to beat the holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Jump to first unread post is working now, which is great, but when said post is the start of a new page, it just shows the previous page with no posts.

And I kinda miss the option to load the last 1 or 2 read posts before the new posts. Gives me context when picking up a thread.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

zergstain posted:

And I kinda miss the option to load the last 1 or 2 read posts before the new posts. Gives me context when picking up a thread.

You can just click the previous posts button. It works really well, keeps your place if you've just entered a thread and that way you can pick and choose which threads so you don't have to load more than you need all the time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can we add a feature for swipe left/right while in a thread? I'd love to be able to swipe left/right on the title bar to navigate forward/backward in a thread, if only because the left/right arrows in the bottom left can be hard to read when one-handing with an iPhone 5.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You must be a filthy left-handed person.

For now pulling up takes you to the next page also if you're going that way and want to avoid the arrows.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Dave posted:

You must be a filthy left-handed person.

For now pulling up takes you to the next page also if you're going that way and want to avoid the arrows.
I'm right-handed and my hand is usually on the bottom half of phone, but sometimes, especially in bed when I'm lying on my side, my hand migrates up to the top of the phone.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Chuck Bartowski posted:

You can just click the previous posts button. It works really well, keeps your place if you've just entered a thread and that way you can pick and choose which threads so you don't have to load more than you need all the time.

It loads the rest of the page though, so I'd prefer to be able to just load the last read post. Probably makes a difference when you left off at the 37th post of a page.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.
I'm getting a bug on iPad 2 where if I open the menu to browse the forums all that appears is a grey background and no forums load, but I can still open my bookmarks and read the threads fine.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Dont know if someone already mentioned it, but I'm getting this maybe once or twice a day.

Happens randomly when Im reading a thread then go to load the forum list again. Only thing that seems to fix it is closing and reopening the app. It's not a big deal since it's pretty infrequent and the fix is easy (if I was bringing that window up I was done with that thread anywhere so theres nothing to lose) but it's still a pain.

IPad 2 ios 5.01 jailbroken.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
After updating to 1.9.1 and bookmarking a new thread, hitting the bookmarks tab now dumps me out of the app. No crash report or any debugging info available. iPad retina here, but it specifically stopped working after bookmarking the thread with Lowtax talking about radium's coding.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Haven't read the past 200+ posts, but is there a bug/setting where clicking on a topic doesn't take you to the last post? Its annoying to figure out where on a page I stopped previously.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Roving Reporter posted:

Haven't read the past 200+ posts, but is there a bug/setting where clicking on a topic doesn't take you to the last post? Its annoying to figure out where on a page I stopped previously.

Have you installed 1.9.1 yet? There was a bug in 1.9 that broke this for some people depending on their forums settings, but it should be fixed now.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I just did some epic table breaking with a photo because I couldn't tell it was too large. I am not 100% sure if it was because the app doesn't show when it's way too big (the photo fit the screen for me) or if I am just dumb. I am willing to concede it might be the latter.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Good advice is to always use "timg" instead of "img" just in case.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Timg still loads the full size image so it makes people mad sometimes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, timg downloads the entire huge image then shrinks it on the screen which is a pretty inefficient way to do thumbnails.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yes but it wouldn't break the forum width which was his problem wasn't it? Timg isn't great though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Something about the below comment makes the thumbnails work but clicking on them gets a 404.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513877&pagenumber=46#post410824135

I think maybe an issue with image URLs that have parameters which are probably pretty rare.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 23, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So this happened:

When trying to look at this image:

Leaving me here:

I had to go back and edit this post. At first it posted successfully but only uploaded the first image. I tried to add the other two but it crashed so I edited in one at a time.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 24, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yep I get same error.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Probably something to do with the type of link it is.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Probably something to do with the type of link it is.

I saw that later. Thou shalt have no other hosters but Imgur. :mad:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Bumping my old request: can we have the bookmarked threads view sort unread threads to the top? SALR does this on the pc and its handy to have.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
SALR doesn't seem to work for me, every thread I've previously clicked on has 0 unread posts. Whenever I click on it it just takes me to the last page of the thread. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it doesn't seem to do any good. halp

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
For some reason I can't copy text from posts, and I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere since the 1.9.1 update. From within the new post window sure, but sometimes I want to copy text from someone else's post.

In a similar vein, holding down a link used to give the option of copying the HTML, opening in Safari, et cetera. Once the in-app browser is back it'd be great to have that functionality again.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

BrainDance posted:

Dont know if someone already mentioned it, but I'm getting this maybe once or twice a day.

Happens randomly when Im reading a thread then go to load the forum list again. Only thing that seems to fix it is closing and reopening the app. It's not a big deal since it's pretty infrequent and the fix is easy (if I was bringing that window up I was done with that thread anywhere so theres nothing to lose) but it's still a pain.

IPad 2 ios 5.01 jailbroken.

I've been getting the same problem on a brand spanking new iPad (I don't know what OS or model, but it's the newest one).

Happened once in PYF Funny Pictures and again after following a link. I guess it has to do with memory?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This

smackfu posted:

Something about the below comment makes the thumbnails work but clicking on them gets a 404.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513877&pagenumber=46#post410824135

I think maybe an issue with image URLs that have parameters which are probably pretty rare.

and this

jojoinnit posted:

So this happened:

When trying to look at this image:

Leaving me here:

were caused by the same underlying problem and are now fixed!

quote:

I had to go back and edit this post. At first it posted successfully but only uploaded the first image. I tried to add the other two but it crashed so I edited in one at a time.

Haven't seen this happen, though it doesn't surprise me (it's annoying to test image upload). What were the contents of the post when only the first image uploaded? Did it have the image tags for each image? Were there imgur URLs?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

I just did some epic table breaking with a photo because I couldn't tell it was too large. I am not 100% sure if it was because the app doesn't show when it's way too big (the photo fit the screen for me) or if I am just dumb. I am willing to concede it might be the latter.

The app should use timg by default if your image is wider than 800px, and it'll resize your image if it's larger than Imgur's maximum file size. (edit: the resizing and some upload fixes aren't in 1.9.1, sorry. I got confused)

I'd like to have more options when adding an image for upload, namely resize and crop, but I can't use the editor built into UIImagePickerController and haven't bothered making my own/finding one.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Trammel posted:

After updating to 1.9.1 and bookmarking a new thread, hitting the bookmarks tab now dumps me out of the app. No crash report or any debugging info available. iPad retina here, but it specifically stopped working after bookmarking the thread with Lowtax talking about radium's coding.

I haven't heard this from anyone else, so I think you're the lucky snowflake of this bug. I'm surprised there's no crash report though. No idea how to debug this one :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Javid posted:

Bumping my old request: can we have the bookmarked threads view sort unread threads to the top? SALR does this on the pc and its handy to have.

I'll +1 the entry on the list.

pug wearing a hat posted:

SALR doesn't seem to work for me, every thread I've previously clicked on has 0 unread posts. Whenever I click on it it just takes me to the last page of the thread. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it doesn't seem to do any good. halp

But in Safari or some browser the threads show the proper number of unread posts?

What happens if you mark a many-page thread unread, then tap on it, then back out to the thread list again?

Does refreshing the thread list in the app help? (Pull down from the top to refresh.)

FreshFeesh posted:

For some reason I can't copy text from posts, and I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere since the 1.9.1 update. From within the new post window sure, but sometimes I want to copy text from someone else's post.

As in you long-tap the text in the post and nothing happens? I can't replicate that problem. Is there a post in particular that's giving you trouble, or is it all of them? What device and version of iOS are you using?

quote:

In a similar vein, holding down a link used to give the option of copying the HTML, opening in Safari, et cetera. Once the in-app browser is back it'd be great to have that functionality again.

It's back, though I wasn't aware of the "copying the HTML" option. What did that do?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
On a iphone 4 running ios 6. Sometimes the bar at the top with back refresh and title vanishes. It has happened a few times but i cant figure out to make it happen purposely.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Rkelly posted:

On a iphone 4 running ios 6. Sometimes the bar at the top with back refresh and title vanishes. It has happened a few times but i cant figure out to make it happen purposely.

Has it happened soon after long-tapping an image to preview it?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

pokeyman posted:

I'll +1 the entry on the list.

Please make it optional if you implement it :)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

It's back, though I wasn't aware of the "copying the HTML" option. What did that do?

I think he just means copying the URL.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Haven't seen this happen, though it doesn't surprise me (it's annoying to test image upload). What were the contents of the post when only the first image uploaded? Did it have the image tags for each image? Were there imgur URLs?
There were no image tags, it simply posted without any indication of the second two images. I edited in the second and third using the built in uploader again and it crashed to the home screen, so I uploaded them one at a time and that worked.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste

pokeyman posted:

Does refreshing the thread list in the app help?

Whoa, I did not know you could do that! It looks like that fixed it, thanks!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Diabolik900 posted:

I think he just means copying the URL.

Sorry, this is what I meant. Long-pressing on text (any part of any post) gives no option for copying on jailbroken 5.0.1 with Awful 1.9.1

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As in this? ( in iOS 6 )

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

Please make it optional if you implement it :)

Oh yeah totally, I don't want it either, but it's easy enough to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just managed to make the app crash writing out this post in the iOS games thread (luckily my spider-sense tingled and I copied the post first). Before it crashed, the text entry controls became kind of laggy, and when I long-pressed the box with Select/Select All was missing the pointy arrow part and didn't select text when I chose an option.

This bug report is probably entirely unhelpful. You're welcome :D

• Locked thread