Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

You are fairly alone in that opinion. P4's dub was generally praised and there was actually a significant outcry when people thought they couldn't get the dub cast back for the animated version.

Now the outcry is the dumb director that decided "Why yes Johnny Range Bosch will voice both Adachi and the main character with lots of lines."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Now the outcry is the dumb director that decided "Why yes Johnny Range Bosch will voice both Adachi and the main character with lots of lines."

On the other hand, it makes for a great story to tell at cons! :v:

He kinda got shoehorned into using the same-ish voice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wasn't a huge fan of P4 in general but I found the voice acting to be one of it's stronger points. Including Old Chie. Old Chie ruled ya'll are just haters. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of P4 in general but I found the voice acting to be one of it's stronger points. Including Old Chie. Old Chie ruled ya'll are just haters. :colbert:

Yeah, P4 was pretty meh but the VA was stellar, generally. I think I liked Chie and Rise's VA the most. Rise's for that drunken scene.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

aha is this our chance

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

One badly delivered line invalidates everything else she does?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

A hooky line from the girl who likes Bruce Lee movies? Totally inappropriate.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Justin_Brett posted:

A hooky line from the girl who likes Bruce Lee movies? Totally inappropriate.

Both of Chie's VAs hit the Bruce Lee yelps, so they're both fine to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I gotta admit, NewChie yelling out "KABOOM!" when she lands a Galactic Punt gets me every time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Alteisen posted:

One badly delivered line invalidates everything else she does?

The problem is that it's not just the one badly delivered line. Rooney does a passable job of reading the script... but that's all she's doing, reading. She's not actually acting at any point. Whether she's supposed to be angry, scared, upset, happy, it doesn't matter. There's no passion, no emotion. It's bland, like plain oatmeal. Not bad, but not good, just... passable.

Fitzgerald, love her or hate her, actually acts. So when the script calls for Chie to be upset or angry or scared, she actually sounds like it. Her performance actually breathes life into the character and makes her sound like a real person. Her dialogue with the other characters sounds like someone actually conversing as opposed to someone just reading lines from a script when cued.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

W.T. Fits posted:

The problem is that it's not just the one badly delivered line. Rooney does a passable job of reading the script... but that's all she's doing, reading. She's not actually acting at any point. Whether she's supposed to be angry, scared, upset, happy, it doesn't matter. There's no passion, no emotion. It's bland, like plain oatmeal. Not bad, but not good, just... passable.
If that's the case, why didn't they replace Yukiko and Naoto as well?

I don't really have a dog in this race. I think both voice actresses suck and excel at different aspects of the character. I find the discussion dreary since everyone seems so attached or wants to champion a particular VA.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
blah blah blah my Chie sempai

Where's Persona 5? Where are my teenagers with problems? Monster Problems

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rascyc posted:

If that's the case, why didn't they replace Yukiko and Naoto as well?

Because they were willing to return and do additional voice work, whereas Rooney was unable to, supposedly due to some kind of conflict with her union or some such. v:v:v

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

Because they were willing to return and do additional voice work, whereas Rooney was unable to, supposedly due to some kind of conflict with her union or some such. v:v:v

Nope. Tracey Rooney retired from voice acting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Nope. Tracey Rooney retired from voice acting.

Did she at least do something cool like become a doctor (Domon Kasshu)?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rooney's Chie varied from being either the best acted character in the game to sometimes being the worst, it is surprising how much she wavered. Fitzgerald is really just sort of bland, the voice fits but it really is still generic spunky anime girl voice #902, it's the reason I really hate Chie's JP voice.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The only place I ever hear people say they don't like Persona 4 is in SMT threads :v:

After playing P4Golden it's still one of my favorite games ever, despite the fact that the dungeons are all similar random generated hallways and the entire non-dungeon area is like, 5 areas.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
I think P4 is a pretty good game, but it's nowhere near as good as Nocturne. My roommate thinks P4 is the best JRPG ever made, and he's welcome to believe that, but he's also only played like, 4 JRPGs ever, so I don't think he has the background to state anything of the sort.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

thetrin posted:

but he's also only played like, 4 JRPGs ever, so I don't think he has the background to state anything of the sort.

This just in, other people's opinions don't have to equal your own. Individuality exists.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Here's my opinion on Persona 4 and Chie's voice actors in video format. I hope you all enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMk5PL2bjg

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
What I meant was P4 had some good voice acting and stuff, but I felt a lot of the character's lines (looking at you Rise) were delivered kinda poorly. It wasn't the game fault. I guess I just gotta nitpick about small things v:shobon:v

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

thetrin posted:

I think P4 is a pretty good game, but it's nowhere near as good as Nocturne. My roommate thinks P4 is the best JRPG ever made, and he's welcome to believe that, but he's also only played like, 4 JRPGs ever, so I don't think he has the background to state anything of the sort.

Basically my opinion of P4 as well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A friend linked this to me, anyone know what this is about? A possible return of the Demonica suits for SMT4?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Black Samurai'? Huh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Demonica looks pretty bitchin' in black. Man, it's gonna be hard not spoiling myself on IV, while waiting for Atlus USA to translate it and.. Ghostlight to take 18 months to release that..

..gently caress.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Demonica looks pretty bitchin' in black. Man, it's gonna be hard not spoiling myself on IV, while waiting for Atlus USA to translate it and.. Ghostlight to take 18 months to release that..

..gently caress.

18 months?That's a little too optimistic here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I bounce back and forth between Persona 2, Nocturne, and Persona 4. I think P2 has far and away the best story/characters, Nocturne the best gameplay, and P4 a pretty good balance of both. At the very least I've sunk the most amount of hours into P4 but I still don't know if I could call it my favorite MegaTen title.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 4 is really good, but I mostly say that for the gameplay and content, the story leaves much to be desired and so do some of the main characters. I love the DDS games a lot more though even if they have awful dungeons, the gameplay is great, story is unique, music is fantastic and I love all of the characters and the assload of Vedic mythology they based the game on.

Also it's like the only tie Steve Blum voiced in an Atlus developed game.

I also like The Raidou series a lot, even if the first game is technically bad, the second game is seriously a great game and deserves more note than it gets. I love detectiving around late 1800s Japan with my cat and catching demons in tubes.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I think the DDS games have an awfully stupid story, coupled with the bad dungeon design makes it one of my least favorites. The music is great though.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Persona 4 is really good, but I mostly say that for the gameplay and content, the story leaves much to be desired and so do some of the main characters. I love the DDS games a lot more though even if they have awful dungeons, the gameplay is great, story is unique, music is fantastic and I love all of the characters and the assload of Vedic mythology they based the game on.

Also it's like the only tie Steve Blum voiced in an Atlus developed game.

I also like The Raidou series a lot, even if the first game is technically bad, the second game is seriously a great game and deserves more note than it gets. I love detectiving around late 1800s Japan with my cat and catching demons in tubes.

You're almost always criticizing P4's storyline and I really don't quite understand why. Outside of half the goons on this site thinking Yosuke is some kind of horrible hate-crime waiting to happen, which is an absolutely absurd criticism, I really understand what major issues you have with P4's story.

Especially since you're comparing it to DDS. Look, I love Digital Devil Saga to bits and pieces but if you're going to tell me with a straight face that the ending to that game wasn't a completely load of :catdrugs: and half-baked nonsense, I'm afraid we're going to have to have a conversation about writing coherant narratives.

I'll agree, though, that the characters were amazing. DDS2 broke my heart ten different times throughout. I just wish the last chapter wasn't such a grindy mess.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The DDS games had way better plots than P4 (and gameplay, characters, music, etc) and the ending of DDS2 wasn't even as lovely as the ending of P4. And DDS2 had a lovely rear end ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P4's ending is fine, I mean it pretty much is exactly what the story needed. The epilogue in Golden was a nice bonus too.

Technique you just have some really weird Persona programming. Let us not forget your bizarre fascination with Persona 1.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The only real problem with P4's story is the meandering mid-game when the murder mystery part of the plot barely expands at all. That whole chunk of time when everyone thinks it's over because they caught Mitsuo but it's insanely obvious to the player that the game isn't even close to being over yet is paced really badly.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The problem with P4's story is that like 70% of the cutscenes are the same thing over and over and over, whether it be "Gosh I wonder who that person on the TV was last night?" or "NO YOU'RE NOT ME" or "Hey y'all, let's have an investigation meeting to recap all the clues we've uncovered so far: We haven't learned a drat thing." I also thought the here is a magic crystal that will reveal ~the truth~ during the true ending path was dumb as heck and seemed to only exist because they felt it needed a ~magic crystal~ because it is a JRPG. It felt out of place with the rest of the narrative.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

A friend linked this to me, anyone know what this is about? A possible return of the Demonica suits for SMT4?

There are apparently a couple of other characters introduced as well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nate RFB posted:

Technique you just have some really weird Persona programming. Let us not forget your bizarre fascination with Persona 1.

I don't think he plays the same games as us, rather he plays some bizzare North Korean knockoffs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I would love to see North Korean Persona 4. Everyone's True Self is the Supreme Leader.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think the murder mystery is utilized that well at all until November to be honest. But that timeframe (November-December) is one of the strongest parts of the game. The rest is just sort of whacky fun times with your fake video game friends, and that's fine by me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OK, I'll bite. How on Earth is Persona 4's ending bad? It's not the awesome-est ending ever, but it's nowhere close to bad. There aren't even any elements I can point at that are bad. It ties up pretty much all the loose ends, gives all the important characters a bit of facetime, and even makes the strange things that happened way back at the start of the game relevant, things that the player probably forgot about in the course of the 50+ hours playing through (by design; the main character forgot, too). There are no new plot points raised, no plot points left hanging, no real Deus Ex Machina (I-no-O should be pretty obvious once the name of the final boss is revealed if you listened to a certain mythology lecture in the game and remembered the name of your first Persona).

Hell, I even thought that the bit in P4G with Marie being Izanami-no-Mikoto, ie the Protector aspect of Izanami fit in with the expanded story, and made her comb into a nice detail and bit of foreshadowing.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Policenaut posted:

I would love to see North Korean Persona 4. Everyone's True Self is the Supreme Leader.

Rather than a natural representation of your Id, your shadow represents the part of you tainted by western commercialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Technique posted:

The DDS games had way better plots than P4 (and gameplay, characters, music, etc) and the ending of DDS2 wasn't even as lovely as the ending of P4. And DDS2 had a lovely rear end ending.

The only good character in DDS was Cielo's VA. And the Pacing in their plots were so loving terrible the plots didn't even exist for 90% of the game. I just got to 2 and seriously just in the beginning the pacing is so loving wacky and you're missing half the loving plot because they don't cutaway to things that would be useful to see. It goes 'No. you guys go do this for this and then we'll give you your friend with the terrible accent' to 'That one line you said really got to me, the allegedly alcoholic cynical man who's emotionally stunted, so now I'm a demon too and I brought Cielo and also all my little freedom fighters have painted their sleeves orange so their your crew now.' in the course of one area that's just the transition between the town and the dungeon with no real insight onto what changed Roland's mind.

Hell one scene of Fred talking to him to try and convince him to change/let Cielo out but it you don't get it but no it's just THINGS HAPPENING which is kind of how the whole Plot for the DDS games go. Things just happen. I mean the things themselves are interesting, mostly, but it's still just really disjointed and makes the whole story really forgettable because of it. I just find it extra annoying because it really feels like they were trying to tell a more character driven/focused story but they fail to deliver by making some small mistakes that could have easily be remedied.