Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Safety Factor posted:

:wtc:
This happened in a 40k book?

Spoilers for a terrible thing: Lucius becomes convinced that Fulgrim has been possessed by a daemon so along with Fabius and others capture him and plan to torture the daemon out of him, including using such colorful methods like pear of anguish on his anus while the presumably slaaneshi daemon is having the time of its life.

Oh, and after the reveal that he's DUNDUNDUN really Fulgrim all along he breaks free off his bonds by himself and admits he was playing along for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

EyeRChris posted:

Well lets look at the personality aspects of the known primarchs and pick which ones are lacking. I figure one of the lost primarchs was an inventor. The Scientist aspect of the Emperor. He created his world into a Utopia that surpasses the Imperium and had tech that made the tech of mars look like childs play. After the Emperor showed that by absorbing it he'd ruin the world the Primarch made he rebelled for the good of his people. The entire planet and all its tech was crushed under the weight of 3 legions.

I figured Mag us for the scientist.

The problem is we don't have anything fleshing out a few of them like ferrous man us and vulkan, and are unlikely to get any now that the focus is on battles as they move toward Terra and not the setup

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Magnus was a scholar and an echo of his psychic might; Vulkan and Perturabo were tech heads. Perturabo in particular, as Vulkan was more of an artisan.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

I figured Mag us for the scientist.

The problem is we don't have anything fleshing out a few of them like ferrous man us and vulkan, and are unlikely to get any now that the focus is on battles as they move toward Terra and not the setup

I'm ok with this since it'll inevitably result in a lot of Primarch v Primarch and Legion v Legion which is always fun.

I wouldn't mind more Mechanicus focused stories, or general Imperial Guard stories, especially from the traitor's perspective. Horus managed to get a good portion of the Guard to follow him, didn't he?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Well lets look at the personality aspects of the known primarchs and pick which ones are lacking. I figure one of the lost primarchs was an inventor.
Perturabo seems to be this guy - in Angel Exterminatus he is portrayed almost as da Vinci (though leaning more towards invention and architecture, it seems).

Big Willy Style posted:

I got halfway throught the first story in The Primarchs and it loving sucks and has sapped all of my will to read rest of the anthology. Should I continue?
Yeah, I had the same problem. "The Lion" and "The Serpent Beneath" are both worth a read. "Feat of Iron" was just kind of blah, so if you get bored with that one, skip it and move on.

VanSandman posted:

Horus managed to get a good portion of the Guard to follow him, didn't he?
Yes, but at the time (unless it gets retconned later) the Guard units were heavily tied to the Space Marine Legions. The legions were kind of the command/surgical element, while the guard were attached for sledgehammer/cleanup operations. This bred a lot of guard loyalty to the legion, rather than to the Imperium.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 26, 2012

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
The Guard was The Imperial Army back then, and large parts of the Army acted as support to the legions, but my understanding was that the Imperial Army as such was independent of the Legiones Astartes. As for why large parts of the army followed Horus, all the primarchs and him especially had a metric shitton of charisma. It's not hard to see how higherups in any hierarchy can be swayed by charisma and promises of power, and any dissent in the ranks can be solved with some housecleaning.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Khadhul posted:

The Guard was The Imperial Army back then, and large parts of the Army acted as support to the legions, but my understanding was that the Imperial Army as such was independent of the Legiones Astartes. As for why large parts of the army followed Horus, all the primarchs and him especially had a metric shitton of charisma. It's not hard to see how higherups in any hierarchy can be swayed by charisma and promises of power, and any dissent in the ranks can be solved with some housecleaning.

No, at the time the Astartes are very much at the top of the Imperial command hierarchy. That's how Horus ended up with the title 'Warmaster' - he was formally in command.

Around the end of the Great Crusade/start of the Heresy the Emperor creates the Council of Terra and that, combined with the removal from play of all the Primarchs and the breaking of the Legions into Chapters is what properly changes the Imperium into a series of factions that no one person can control.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Just finished Double Eagle. Christ, that was a fun read. Now I'm on to the third-string writers, having read most of the books in the OP... and I find out that Pariah is out? Dangit, Black Library... I just started Imperial Glory, and also bought Gunheads, now I've got that to add into things.

I'm curious about a few things I don't see on the list and haven't seen discussed a whole lot: Are there any good books featuring the Death Korps of Krieg? I love them in the fluff, especially since they seem to have that WW1 vibe going on.

Also, is anyone having problems with the iOS Black Library app? It's not showing me new releases anymore, which is very annoying.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SquadronROE posted:

I'm curious about a few things I don't see on the list and haven't seen discussed a whole lot: Are there any good books featuring the Death Korps of Krieg? I love them in the fluff, especially since they seem to have that WW1 vibe going on.

Dead Men Walking by Steve Lyons is about the Death Korps, but it's not supposed to be that good. There's also that short story from Chapter Approved 2003 which completely owns.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dead Men Walking by Steve Lyons is about the Death Korps, but it's not supposed to be that good. There's also that short story from Chapter Approved 2003 which completely owns.

Yeah, I read that short story and liked it a lot despite the typos. I love the idea that they lose so many people that they are allowed to basically use cloning to churn out troops.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Hey, Mechafunkzilla, why haven't you added Betrayer to the OP?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

Spoilers for a terrible thing: Lucius becomes convinced that Fulgrim has been possessed by a daemon so along with Fabius and others capture him and plan to torture the daemon out of him, including using such colorful methods like pear of anguish on his anus while the presumably slaaneshi daemon is having the time of its life.

Oh, and after the reveal that he's DUNDUNDUN really Fulgrim all along he breaks free off his bonds by himself and admits he was playing along for shits and giggles.

Well, that's definitely a thing. Why would anyone think that's a good idea to write about? And it's even paired with a bad plot twist.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nephilm posted:

Hey, Mechafunkzilla, why haven't you added Betrayer to the OP?

Haven't really been paying attention since the paperback doesn't come out until April, and as such I won't be reading it until then. I'll throw it up there.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I can't find anything reliable... does it look like there's ever going to be another Gaunt's Ghosts book? They left the last with a lot of loose threads.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hm, apparently Steve Parker, author of the totally rad Gunheads and the still-readable but considerably less rad Rynn's World is coming out with a Deathwatch book in May. Gonna keep an eye on that.

Rob Sanders needs to write another book already.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

SquadronROE posted:

I can't find anything reliable... does it look like there's ever going to be another Gaunt's Ghosts book? They left the last with a lot of loose threads.

Are there characters people like who are still alive? Then yes.

(besides it brings in enough for black library to have a scrooge esqu.money bin.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Are there characters people like who are still alive? Then yes.

(besides it brings in enough for black library to have a scrooge esqu.money bin.)

BL probably has Abnett churning out HH books, since those are probably the bigger money makers right now.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

SquadronROE posted:

It isn't BL and they aren't novels, but the Seige of Vracks books by forge world are volume on volume of Death Korps action.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

BL probably has Abnett churning out HH books, since those are probably the bigger money makers right now.

HH, Bequin, and a big super secret project that will change everything that he is pushing the limits of his NDA by even saying there is a big super secret project that will change everything

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

...and a big super secret project that will change everything that he is pushing the limits of his NDA by even saying there is a big super secret project that will change everything
Hmmm, I've not heard of this project...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hmmm, I've not heard of this project...

there was a link to an interview about it and a discussion many pages back (October-ish?). People here were speculating, leading theories were either advancing the storyline or revealing the 2 primarchs. Personally I'm guessing it is the introduction of a new race, since 6th edition is rolling out and I don't see them doing those leading theories.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

there was a link to an interview about it and a discussion many pages back (October-ish?). People here were speculating, leading theories were either advancing the storyline or revealing the 2 primarchs. Personally I'm guessing it is the introduction of a new race, since 6th edition is rolling out and I don't see them doing those leading theories.

Codex: Jokaero

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Codex: Snotlings

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Codex: Squats Demiurge.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Codex: Zoats

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I can't think of a good reason for GW to ever advance the storyline much at all, so I'm leaning towards the missing primarch reveals or the new race. Is there anything currently in the fluff which could be expanded into a whole new race, like how the Genestealers became the Tyranids?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

VanSandman posted:

I can't think of a good reason for GW to ever advance the storyline much at all, so I'm leaning towards the missing primarch reveals or the new race. Is there anything currently in the fluff which could be expanded into a whole new race, like how the Genestealers became the Tyranids?

Codex: Darker Eldar

or, in seriousness, Codex: Mutants

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

I can't think of a good reason for GW to ever advance the storyline much at all, so I'm leaning towards the missing primarch reveals or the new race.
I highly doubt it will be either. Here's why: Alan Merrett, GW/BL's IP guy, has stated in the past that the two "missing" primarchs will never be revealed, because it adds to the mystery of 40K. Could he be deliberately misleading us? Maybe, but I doubt it. Like Abnett says in the Q&A, the gaps were placed there deliberately.

As for another race, GW has enough to do with the races they currently support (barely.) Adding an additional race would require an additional army from the game side (since they would never miss an opportunity to make money), and that isn't going to happen - they've stated that they are content with the current armies in the game. In addition, the Tau and Eldar codexes are over seven years old - they would need to update those before bringing out a new race.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 27, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Codex: Wood Eldar

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This missing Primarchs are there to provide 'space' for people to come up with their own unique Space Marine chapters if they want.

They could actually kill the Emperor completely and unequivocally start the universe into a slide towards everyone's endgame (even if they never have to reach it).

Or they could do something like bring the Ultramarines Primarch back. The setting can remain incredibly grimdark but they can shift the theme to an Imperium that's going down kicking and fighting 300 style.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Alchenar posted:

This missing Primarchs are there to provide 'space' for people to come up with their own unique Space Marine chapters if they want.

They could actually kill the Emperor completely and unequivocally start the universe into a slide towards everyone's endgame (even if they never have to reach it).

Or they could do something like bring the Ultramarines Primarch back. The setting can remain incredibly grimdark but they can shift the theme to an Imperium that's going down kicking and fighting 300 style.

Or instead of bringing Roboute back, the Lion wakes up and starts being a jerk to everyone as he is wont to do.

e: I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't a Codex: Mechanicus yet.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Codex: Wood Eldar

Finally! An exodite list!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Let's be real though, Abnett's secret project will be about Cypher reaching Terra and suicide bombing the Emperor.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Or instead of bringing Roboute back, the Lion wakes up and starts being a jerk to everyone as he is wont to do.

e: I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't a Codex: Mechanicus yet.

Roboute coming back to fight the Tyranids would be really cool. And it could kickstart the storyline of the Emperors ascent or death. Roboute coming back would just be the sign of things going for a massive change, while still keeping him out of the way story wise, busy fighting off the Tyranids.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Codex: Spaceballs Marines.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Codex: Administratum

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

Roboute coming back to fight the Tyranids would be really cool. And it could kickstart the storyline of the Emperors ascent or death. Roboute coming back would just be the sign of things going for a massive change, while still keeping him out of the way story wise, busy fighting off the Tyranids.
I'd like to see a primarch come back because it could be some sort of weird time-travel comedy. They haven't been around for thousands of years and everything's gone to poo poo.

But it would probably be written horribly and everything would be good again because this one dude showed up and told everyone how to do things.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Let's be real though, Abnett's secret project will be about Cypher reaching Terra and suicide bombing the Emperor.
I'd read it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

What if it's more than one primach. Roboute wakes up and Ultramar sucedes from the Imperium. Lion and Leman returns from the warp. Mutual distrust of each other causes them to declare war on each other. The Salamanders retrieve all the Artifacts. Corax returns having perfected the cloning poo poo but gone insane.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Codex: Administratum

Codex: PDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Adeptus Adobe requires an update :byodood: