Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
So Shadow could probably be pretty badass if he wanted to, unless he doesn't have much physical strength to go with the shapeshifting.

It's also strange to see Shadow's shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So Shadow turns into the Nazca Birdman. Nice and subtle tie in to Coyote and his minions being of Native American culture

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Nice trick from Shadow2, I wonder if Robot will have some ace in his sleeve too.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Pretty cool trick Shadow's got there.

AzMiLion posted:

Is this the guy from the kat/robot/angel chapter? I can't remember where he's from.
That's Eglamore.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

It's also strange to see Shadow's shadow.

Would Shadow 2's shadow be Shadow³ by any chance? If it isn't it should be.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Would Shadow 2's shadow be Shadow³ by any chance? If it isn't it should be.

Now, it'd be Shadow². Shadow³ is Shadow II once he got three-dimensional thanks to Coyote's swordtooth.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Also Coyote's tooth gives off his laughter, remember Parley getting introduced to it?
That was kind of a rhetorical question. I was remarking on the fact that his laughter was heard when they were screwed up, and heard again when (one of them) was fixed.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Well, anything can have a shadow, so I guess a shadow can be anything?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Shadow turn in to completed math homework. Shadow. Shadow please.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Decided to read the whole series today. I've read it in chunks but the short story style without any real overarching plot kind of bugged me and kept me from reading it before, but I kind of like it now. Makes it easier to take in bits and pieces of the fairly complicated world and backstory and rather large cast.

Also Robot and Shadow are so freaking adorable oh my god.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Shadow looks so sad, but he has to look adorable running around with his floppy sleeves and stumblebum pants.

They practiced this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shadow's gonna be all 'screw running away, I'm going back' and grow spikes.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Nah, Shadow's too gentle for that.

Kat, on the other hand...

JAVA SPARROW
Jun 2, 2011
I got Volume 1: Orientation as a Christmas present today. Everything looks so good in book form! Seriously! It's made me want to order the other volumes ASAP.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2012

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
What have you done?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Meowjesty posted:

What have you done?

Oh God, the streams are crossing! Turn left thread TURN LEFT

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm thinking the robots are attacking him because he is teaching the robots heresy: i.e. he is trying to replace Jeanne with Anya.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm trying to figure out how anyone could confuse Anya with Kat but... Maybe I'm just thick and missed a joke.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Welp so this chapter's going to be all dramabombs exploding at once isn't it.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Today's strip is cute and funny, too.

SOMETHING TERRIBLE IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO KAT.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

YF-23 posted:

Welp so this chapter's going to be all dramabombs exploding at once isn't it.

Kat's pregnant, and it's BirdBoy's.

I kid, but I have a feeling this is where Court/Forest divide will start up and/or the homework issue comes up.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Annie, you can't copy Kat's homework when she's right there you know.

I wonder if the proximity will cause a new rift for these two. Looks like Kat still has those hang ups, but the way it's been constant, I wonder if it implies some confusion on Kat's part.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Somebody on the Internet posted:

I just realized that the writer may have been making a terrible, terrible pun. By raising the question of whether or not Kat is into 'birds'." (That is, literally and in the British slang sense of the term.)
Any thoughts? My guess is "No".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Is this "somebody" talking about her look back to Paz? I assumed that Kat is Paz's roommate and has second thoughts about abandoning her this way.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pik_d posted:

Is this "somebody" talking about her look back to Paz? I assumed that Kat is Paz's roommate and has second thoughts about abandoning her this way.

Unlikely.

quote:

Tom has been pretty consistently bringing up this plotline in all of Kat's appearances since Faraway Morning, so I suppose its possible. Feels vaguely vulgar if he was intentionally making the pun though.

VVV "Bird" is apparently British slang for an attractive woman. Please note that I am not British and am getting this information from the Internet and may be completely wrong.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 26, 2012

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Actually yeah, where is this potential "pun" about birds? I guess it's obviously not about today's comic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

Actually yeah, where is this potential "pun" about birds? I guess it's obviously not about today's comic.

I'm pretty sure "bird" can also be a term for a woman, so in that case the whole "Kat is into birds" thing could be a double-entendre. Then again there's not much else to support that, given her almost constant anxiety about having given that impression to Paz in the first place.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perestroika posted:

I'm pretty sure "bird" can also be a term for a woman, so in that case the whole "Kat is into birds" thing could be a double-entendre. Then again there's not much else to support that, given her almost constant anxiety about having given that impression to Paz in the first place.

Yes I know that, but where is this mention of Kat liking birds?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

pik_d posted:

Yes I know that, but where is this mention of Kat liking birds?

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=257 here. It was a good chapter!

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I'm going to guess probably no. I wouldn't put it past Tom to be that subtle for his own amusement but since it's a reference that's lost on a great portion of readers not familiar with that particular British slang it's probably not meant to be a clue or anything.

That said I like the continuing plot point regarding Kat's worries or confusion about her own sexuality and possible social repercussions. It's not clear that Paz overheard or knows what the girls are talking to Lindsey about but Kat obviously wants to be roommates with Annie and knows it would require a lot of explanation if she said no.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Niton posted:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=257 here. It was a good chapter!

Oh, that's a fairly tedious link to calling Kat a lesbian. That's a definite "no" to actual intent by Tom.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The point is that she's worried about it. She's worried that because she likes working on machines, her hair short, etc, that she's a lesbian.

It's kind of dumb sounding but she's a teenager.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Or she's worried that people will think she's one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

Or she's worried that people will think she's one.

Precisely that. I think she has had enough crushes on males (Eglamore, that boy who became a bird, Jack before he was zimmyied into craziness, Fox Mulder and other TV characters...) not to wonder about herself; but because she is a tomboy with no close friends except Annie and because when she tried to lift Paz's spirit she thought she was hitting on her, she is worried about being perceived as the butch to Annie's femme.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
We need an expert, I'd like to hear ChibiSoma's thoughts on this.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Precisely that. I think she has had enough crushes on males (Eglamore, that boy who became a bird, Jack before he was zimmyied into craziness, Fox Mulder and other TV characters...) not to wonder about herself
It's possible she's attracted to both, so attraction to male characters wouldn't rule anything out.

It'd be easier to tell what's going on if, like Annie, Kat had been teased by some classmates. I don't think, beyond that one Renard comic many years ago, there's been any indication that her peers are teasing her for being "too butch."

It could just be that Paz and Kat share a room, and there is still awkwardness there. We'll have to wait and see.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Haledjian posted:

We need an expert, I'd like to hear ChibiSoma's thoughts on this.

In all seriousness, I'm a lesbian and I really love how all the relationships have played out. It really feels true to high school confusion... Only with magic and advanced technology thrown in for added confusion. It wouldn't upset me if both characters turn out to be straight.

Now, back to joking: Kat/City Face OTP. :colbert:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Anoia posted:

In all seriousness, I'm a lesbian and I really love how all the relationships have played out. It really feels true to high school confusion... Only with magic and advanced technology thrown in for added confusion. It wouldn't upset me if both characters turn out to be straight.

Now, back to joking: Kat/City Face OTP. :colbert:

So THAT'S what those comics have been leading up to.

Incidentally I just checked the site comments for the first time since I started reading and the number of posts along the lines of "I don't understand, who is that other girl? What is happening" kinda makes me want to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

pik_d posted:

I thought that was just her being nervous about Paz thinking her and Annie are a couple. She clearly has issues about people thinking she's gay.