Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

You've got the sickness now, condolences

I've got it too, ever since last year this guy let me b2b with him at a party he was djing and then on my own this year. I literally just want to play house music and get my groove on with a bunch of people and nothing else :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Blowdryer posted:

I've got it too, ever since last year this guy let me b2b with him at a party he was djing and then on my own this year. I literally just want to play house music and get my groove on with a bunch of people and nothing else :holy:

This.

I'm buying speakers next week so I can play at a House Party. Something is wrong with me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mitztronic posted:

The only thing I was confused about was dual laptops. Just seems like a waste of ~$1500. I can understand everything else in the pic

The Ableton laptop is running a template of inline (dummy-clip) and send effects. It was previously paired with my KP3 as a Master effect unit but as I said the scope of the effects on the DJM900 sort of make that obsolete. Nevertheless it's still there, set up through the 900's effect return in case I feel nostalgic for the days of having to toggle Beat Repeat on and off. I have plans to use the other outs on its Audio10 to output stems of my own tracks directly into the line ins on the 900; combined with the F1, that's a lot of stems.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
The latest version of Serato (DJ 1.1) just announced that it has support for the Denon DJ MC2000, Numark Mixtrack Pro and Pioneer DDJ-ERGO: http://serato.com/dj/upgrade

I happen to have a Mixtrack Pro, and I'm currently using Virtual DJ. I'd like to check it out but it doesn't have a trial or a limited version, so I'm not going to just spring up $200 for it out of nowhere. Anyone know if there are any hopes of a trial version?

*edit: Nevermind, downloaded from http://serato.com/dj/downloads/mac. We'll see how far I get :)

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 11, 2012

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Mario Incandenza posted:

Needles, trackmarks, a constant need for new gear, and a permanently empty wallet. Truly a horrible addiction.

Don't forget the constant hangover.

I lost my old HDD and my tunes and my mixes and all my research but its time to play again. First things first, I blew out my old speakers and GF stole and lost my headphones. Recommendations for both categories?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

A new girlfriend.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Alfajor posted:

A new girlfriend.

HDJ2000 no poo poo can't make this up. Took them without asking either

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Longtiem posted:

Don't forget the constant hangover.

I lost my old HDD and my tunes and my mixes and all my research but its time to play again. First things first, I blew out my old speakers and GF stole and lost my headphones. Recommendations for both categories?

I'll cover the headphones bit.
Most of the DJs I know are either using the V-Moda Crossfade lp, or the Sennheiser HD25's. some use the pioneers, but those are WAY overpriced for what you get.

I'll preface this by saying I mix entirely in my headphones.
Personally I use the V-Modas, because I have big ears and prefer an over ear vs an on ear. I like the way the crossfades look better, and if you order them direct from vmoda, they will engrave your name or logo or whatever onto the sideplates for free. They also come with a much nicer carrying case instead of a bag.

Another option that is better imo is an IEM. Basically super nice earbuds. You dont have to turn them up very loud, they block outside noise, and take up much less room. I have a pair of monster turbine pro golds (its not that beats garbage, these are actually really good monitors), and I loving love them. If I am playing a gig where no one is going to be bothering me, I always use them. That said, they get uncomfortable after an hour or so, and taking them in/out and getting them properly reseated over and over during a set sucks loving donkey balls.

Both of these headphones have awesome as gently caress factory warranties too. The monsters come with a one year standard warranty, and a one time if you gently caress these up or let your dog eat them, mail them back and we will send you a new pair lifetime warranty.

The vmodas have a two year standard, and a if you run over them with your car we will give you your next pair for half price after you mail them back warranty.

I really like supporting companies that stand behind their products like this.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I really want to try out the Aiaiai TMA-1. The sound is supposed to be good and they seem pretty indestructible (you can bend them like crazy making it good if you're one of those DJs that travel a lot).

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

keevo posted:

I really want to try out the Aiaiai TMA-1. The sound is supposed to be good and they seem pretty indestructible (you can bend them like crazy making it good if you're one of those DJs that travel a lot).

I've been using the same pair since November of 2010. I recommend them. They're not overly bass heavy and they get really loud.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't play out but I'm really happy with the Crossfade LP2 for home use. They recently released a "better" folding pair but they're $100 more which is pushing it since they have the exact same drivers as the LP2.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just use a set of earbuds with one half cut off to mix with. I have always found them preferrable to regular headphones.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

revmoo posted:

earbuds with one half cut off

What?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Get one of these wireless sets: http://youtu.be/qXRUwICUNEE

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Not sure if shocked or don't understand. I cut off one of the ears of a set of earbuds. I've been doing it for years and I love it. Instead of moving cans on and off my head I use the headphone volume knob on the mixer and keep the earbud in my right ear. Costs ten bucks depending on the brand. I like the lack of isolation because I get a better feel for the live sound. Also there's no bulk and somehow I like the tinny sound better for catching hi hats.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
You've been using iPod-esque earbuds and plugging it into your mixer?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yup.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

If you go the IEM route, custom molds are highly recommended

I have some for my normal walking around headset that I love. Great for blocking out background noise when walking to work without having to crank the volume

but I still DJ with my beat to hell Sony 900s

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

but I still DJ with my beat to hell Sony 900s

Between this and your old rear end dj bag, you're a glutton for punishment.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Revmoo's weird monitoring solution makes me wonder - does anybody out there DJ with in-ears? Proper in-ear stage monitors, I mean? Seems like they'd be a boon, but I can also see how they'd be annoying and they tend to be expensive. Thoughts?

A few weeks ago someone posted about Beatport's 'holiday sale' unlock codes; if you used the first one for 10% off by a certain date, you got a second one, same deal, use it by a certain date and unlock "our biggest discount of the year ooooOOOoooOOOoohh". Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys followed through with that, and if so have you gotten the final unlock code yet? I haven't and I'm worried that I actually somehow missed the deadline.

gently caress, so much of my money goes to mp3s these days.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

Revmoo's weird monitoring solution makes me wonder - does anybody out there DJ with in-ears? Proper in-ear stage monitors, I mean? Seems like they'd be a boon, but I can also see how they'd be annoying and they tend to be expensive. Thoughts?

I use Etymotic ER4s when DJing. They aren't really annoying at all. I'm not really sure what else to say.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Yep!

I'll flesh out what I said earlier. I mix entirely in my headphones because I have played way too many gigs. I have played gigs where the monitors were blown, they were 50 feet away, they weren't loud enough to hear, the reverberation in the room was throwing things out of phase, etc. Not only that, but as someone who does this for a living, the less sound pounding my eardrums the better. I want to be able to do this for another 20 years and having a loud rear end monitor blasting me isn't going to make that possible.

From earlier:

Old Man Pants posted:

Another option that is better imo is an IEM. Basically super nice earbuds. You dont have to turn them up very loud, they block outside noise, and take up much less room. I have a pair of monster turbine pro golds (its not that beats garbage, these are actually really good monitors), and I loving love them. If I am playing a gig where no one is going to be bothering me, I always use them. That said, they get uncomfortable after an hour or so, and taking them in/out and getting them properly reseated over and over during a set sucks loving donkey balls.

So there ya go. Remember kids, if it's on in your headphones, it's on in the mix.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I don't play out but I use a pair of in-ears mixing at home, mainly due to me liking the sound cranked as they cut out far more noise than a pair of over the ear headphones. You don't need them as loud either so my ears don't get caned. Personally I'm not sure why everyone doesn't do it this way, it sounds better IMO though you don't quite have the DJ 'look' that some people want. :P

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The "lineup" for the NYE house-party I'll be doing my 2nd gig EVER was just posted, and I'm following a 21 year old kid who is filling clubs, and after me is the founder of a local DJ group who puts together a lot of the events. I stalked them a bit on FB, and they're using nice Pioneer CDJs... and I'm going to be the cool cat showing up with a MixTrack Pro :downs:
Anyway, I'm trying not to be nervous about it, but it's beginning to make me anxious. I guess I should just focus on keeping it simple and not trainwrecking, but I kind of feel like I'm playing with bigger boys and I should step it up.

I'm hoping that some of you have been in a similar situation and can share their experience of how it went, and how things have turned out since then. Or someone tell me the DJ-equivalent of HTFU.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

Anyway, I'm trying not to be nervous about it, but it's beginning to make me anxious. I guess I should just focus on keeping it simple and not trainwrecking, but I kind of feel like I'm playing with bigger boys and I should step it up.

I'm hoping that some of you have been in a similar situation and can share their experience of how it went, and how things have turned out since then. Or someone tell me the DJ-equivalent of HTFU.

Where I live, pretty much all of the electronic music shows with good headliners are localized under one group of promoters. Earlier this year, I kind of stepped onto the scene and started actively trying to get bookings from them. I wasn't aware that I was on their radar for most of the year, but they asked me if a friend of mine and myself would like to open the room for them back in September. I agreed, and it was only afterwards that I found out that the show they booked me for was the biggest drum and bass show they were throwing all year; the heaviest talent the area had to offer, with Artificial Intelligence from the UK headlining. Of course I was nervous, all this talent around and I hadn't even proved myself to be included on the line-up.

In the end I got on stage and played, all the nervousness disappeared after two tracks, and afterwards everyone told my friend and I how great of a job we did and how perfectly we set the mood for the night.

Don't be too nervous about playing and stepping up your game. If they asked you to play, it's probably because they've heard what you can do and they like what you do :). You get to play music for a bunch of people who love music just as much as you do, that's awesome!

Go out, play your tunes, and have a blast doing it because that's what its about!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

New Years is always fun to DJ. I usually don't stress it too much because it's usually one of the easier gigs to get a crowd with, which makes all the difference.

Not playing a club this year as I have several past NYEs - instead playing the opening set of the afterhours which is perfect. I get the crowd that's rolling in right after let-out from the bars so they're gonna be amped

I'm followed by Jason Short (Auralism) and then DJ Three. Should be dope all around

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Styliferous posted:

In the end I got on stage and played, all the nervousness disappeared after two tracks, and afterwards everyone told my friend and I how great of a job we did and how perfectly we set the mood for the night.
Man, that sounds awesome. I have some relief in that my thing is at a house party, and not a club.
I'm sure I'll be nervous until I start and get going, so I think in the next week I'm just going to practice an "opener" set of a few tracks, have that rehearsed, and then just let things happen.

But since we're on the subject, I'm fascinated by people sharing stories and/or plans about NYE gigs. More, I want to hear more! :allears:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

The first time I was super nervous about playing a big show, I just found a little bit of a longer track to play for my first track so I could shake the nerves off.

As far as NYE goes, its the only night of the year that I double what I usually charge, because inevitably some promoter will hit me up about playing their show, because someone bailed on them or they planned poorly. All my experiences have been bar and top40 nightclub gigs, and they are all incredibly frustrating. I don't mind requests for the most part when I am playing a bar or top40 place, but NYE is an endless stream of drunk people trying to get you to "Play their song next please please". NYE is also the only time I have ever had to facepalm someone away from my booth to keep them from vomiting into it at 10pm.

Edit: If anyone is looking for headphones amazon has some really good deals going on right now on the V-Modas

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 22, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 24, 2012

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Just booked the warm-up for Julio Bashmore when he tours here in a few months. Probably my biggest booking to date, and needed to brag somewhere...

Happy christmas me!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

So this hasn't happened to me in forever, what is the proper protocol when your name shows up on a lineup you definitely didn't agree to playing?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If you're already booked, don't show up. If you're not booked and the alternative is sitting around your house not making any money, talk to the promoter.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So did anyone else get DJ things for christmas? I got given an F1 and it's so much fun

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I got the X1. Played with it for about 20 mins last night. The build quality is great, it looks like it will last forever the only mild weakness being that is has a plain usb-b sticking straight out the back. It is only about an inch tall so you need to stack it on something or buy the carrying case to get it up to mixer height. I would complain about the default button bindings but since you can reconfigure it any way you want that doesn't really matter. I kind of wish it had icons instead of text labels, for example the effects section is pre-labeled with three effects which you may or may not ever use. It comes with a couple overlays and you can probably print your own somehow if it really matters to you. My other minor complaint is that it doesn't really fit into a symmetrical DJ setup, I've got it off to the far right to fix that but it would be cool if it somehow went on either side of the mixer or maybe in front to keep the symmetry. I really want an F1 now to sit on the other side and balance things out. I'll probably get it.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I've got RP DH1200s and when I mix I use my S2's mix/cue feature knob, flipping it to cue to hear the next song and mess with it till I see fit or putting it in the middle to test how the two songs will mix then I switch it over to mix so I can use my headphones as monitors. I was on the other side of the speakers (so I couldn't really hear most of it) so I had to do this but I gotta say it works pretty well and I like it.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Hey guys, I got a Traktor S4 for Christmas last year, and since then I have practiced a lot regarding my phrasing, EQing, and song selection for my mixes. However, most of my friends aren't DJs, so they can't really give me feedback besides "that shits good." I posted a mix in the mix thread a while back, but that thread doesn't really seem to be about giving critique. If I posted a mix with all my transition times, would anybody be willing to give me some feedback? I would love to get the opinions of people who DJ and who have an ear for the minor imperfections. Please let me know if this is allowed.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

phractured posted:

Hey guys, I got a Traktor S4 for Christmas last year, and since then I have practiced a lot regarding my phrasing, EQing, and song selection for my mixes. However, most of my friends aren't DJs, so they can't really give me feedback besides "that shits good." I posted a mix in the mix thread a while back, but that thread doesn't really seem to be about giving critique. If I posted a mix with all my transition times, would anybody be willing to give me some feedback? I would love to get the opinions of people who DJ and who have an ear for the minor imperfections. Please let me know if this is allowed.

Post it or send it to me because I'd love to critique your transitions. I'm basically in the same boat as you because I got my S2 at the beginning of the summer and just have been practicing. *snip*

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 31, 2012

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

phractured posted:

Post it duder ill check it out

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I'd love to hear any advice you guys have for mixing music that doesn't have a 4/4 beat to guide you. I'm not completely terrible at beatmatching anymore but my transitions still sound clunky. I've been trying to mix stuff like Flying Lotus. I don't have any DJ friends that I see more than once or twice a year so I'm kind of without input besides youtube videos. Any transition tricks you all could share would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Those V-Modas look amazing and my current Sonys don't really rotate the way I want them to (and are consequently getting returned); I'm really not trying to spend money today, but ughhh, they're so tempting.

Also, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the Numark Mix Deck (there's one sitting open-boxc at my work I can probably talk my boss down to $300 on), is it even worth buying as a complete beginner's controller?

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 27, 2012