Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You basically want GoodReader with cbr/cbz support. It would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could something be done where he uses something like splash top to remote to his PC, then copy comics to something like Dropbox?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is it really necessary to have >16gb of pirated comic books on your person all at once?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

PFlats posted:

From what I understand, the Comixology app lets you download and redownload any digital issues you've bought from them.

Yeah, something tells me this part right here isn't going to solve any of this comic sperg's problems.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure cloudreader has that functionality or something close to it, but I always just load what I want on there manually. It's pretty nice for comic reading.

Nathan Wind
Nov 10, 2003
starring NATHAN WIND as COCHESE
Used the sonic code x6xkhppxnwk7.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Squiggoth posted:

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Can your comic book reader allow comic files to be sent to it? Can you use something like hfs and host the files on the internet, and then browse to it when you're out and about? You can use something like goodreader to download and send it to a program.. I'm sure other programs could too

You'd need to unrar/zip it all before you started but it should work..

PFlats posted:

Be honest, you don't need 16 gigs of Captain America.

You don't know what this man needs..

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I really don't understand grown men who read superhero comics.

Anyway, maybe setting up an FTP, SMB or WebDAV server on your computer and using GoodReader to access it (and thereby access your comics) and transfer the files to your iPad would be a solution? GoodReader can't view CBR/CBZ files, but if you have a comic reading app installed, you can long-tap on the file(s) in GoodReader to access the "Open In..." menu and open them in the comics app.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hypersleep posted:

I really don't understand grown men who read superhero comics.

Anyway, maybe setting up an FTP, SMB or WebDAV server on your computer and using GoodReader to access it (and thereby access your comics) and transfer the files to your iPad would be a solution? GoodReader can't view CBR/CBZ files, but if you have a comic reading app installed, you can long-tap on the file(s) in GoodReader to access the "Open In..." menu and open them in the comics app.
Do none of the comic apps support those other protocols? Seems like it'd be a semi obvious feature.

But yeah that's the best I can think of, or PDF Expert/ReaddleDocs and god knows how many other file transfer/management apps there are nowadays. It should work, with a little caveat cause the way iOS handles files in apps. The "open in" is basically copying the file from one app sandbox into another, so if you have a big rear end file to open in another app, you need that much space left for the "open" (plus however much patience if it's a huge file).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
16gb of Captain America has to be thousands of individual issues. I can't imagine the entire run of the series is much larger. That's crazy.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Here's a bit of a curve ball: is there a way to watch a live video feed from an iOS device camera on a TV? I have access to a Xbox 360.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Here's a bit of a curve ball: is there a way to watch a live video feed from an iOS device camera on a TV? I have access to a Xbox 360.

I think you can do this but it requires an Apple TV for Airplay.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, something tells me this part right here isn't going to solve any of this comic sperg's problems.

:ssh: I was trying to be subtle in my suggestion.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
ComicBookLover can access Dropbox and Box and some other cloud storage services so you can access more comics without storing them on the iPad.... I haven't use them too much because I don't really read too many comics now a days but you might want to try that.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
All the codes are taken.

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
I've googled around and not been able to find a straight answer. I got an ipad for Xmas and downloaded paper. I bought the additional tools, I have not yet seen the charge for that leave my bank account.

Are charges taken immediately? Or are they held over for an accounting period or something?

I've tried following the view billing history links in the apple KB articles but get a warning ''cannot connect to iTunes store' which is odd as I can access the iTunes app and the App Store app, but neither of those show actual billing entries.

Am I jumping the gun? Are apple's billing servers having a weird moment due to to much eggnog?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

AggroJagg posted:

I've googled around and not been able to find a straight answer. I got an ipad for Xmas and downloaded paper. I bought the additional tools, I have not yet seen the charge for that leave my bank account.

Are charges taken immediately? Or are they held over for an accounting period or something?

I have a credit card linked, and purchase mail notifications come a few days later in general. And usually several purchases are combined into one transaction, probably to save on merchant fees.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In case people don't follow the iphone thread, the big app exploit for this year is out:

Tried it and it works great. Costs $2 but it's worth it. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
List+, which I think I've seen recommended in this thread a previous iteration of this thread, is Free right now.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 26, 2012

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.

FishBulb posted:

ComicBookLover can access Dropbox and Box and some other cloud storage services so you can access more comics without storing them on the iPad.... I haven't use them too much because I don't really read too many comics now a days but you might want to try that.

But does it really "Access them without storing them on the ipad"? Or does it just let you use those services to download them from there and avoid having to use cabled/itunes sync?

Either way thanks for a helpful answer...

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

AggroJagg posted:

I've tried following the view billing history links in the apple KB articles but get a warning ''cannot connect to iTunes store' which is odd as I can access the iTunes app and the App Store app, but neither of those show actual billing entries.

Am I jumping the gun? Are apple's billing servers having a weird moment due to to much eggnog?

It can take up to a week (or more!) in some cases to see the charges show up. It depends on the size and number of apps/content you purchase. There seems to be a sliding threshold. Generally, I get a billing email every 3 to 5 days.

Whereas, if I purchase a show from my AppleTV, it gets billed right away.

So, it depends on what you're buying, how much it costs and your credit and account status.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Squiggoth posted:

But does it really "Access them without storing them on the ipad"? Or does it just let you use those services to download them from there and avoid having to use cabled/itunes sync?

Either way thanks for a helpful answer...

You have to download them to the ipad but you can delete them when you're done (from inside the ap) to essentially read one at a time. It's the closest thing to what you're looking for that I've found...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nemoulette posted:

The aforementioned AppleTV would be the best way, but if you search the App Store for webcam a few apps show up that might work.

widunder
May 2, 2002

japtor posted:

The aforementioned AppleTV would be the best way, but if you search the App Store for webcam a few apps show up that might work.
Thanks, I'll look around.

E: How would that work? Those webcam apps seem like they transmit to a computer.

widunder fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 26, 2012

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Finally caved in and got an iPhone, thanks for the helpful suggestions.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

sba posted:

Finally caved in and got an iPhone, thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Welcome to the cult,enjoy your stay.

Download Snapseed for photo editing if you haven't yet, it is awesome.

Downcast if you listen to a lot of Podcasts is the best I've ever used.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Alright, so my house just lost power, and I've got nothing to do for a while.

What's the best app for alcoholic drink recipes? Preferably one that's got lots of options and possibly includes a reverse recipe search via ingredients available.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight
Everyone seems to be high on Downcast. I've been using Pocket Casts for some time now, and I'm really enjoying it. What, if any, are the advantages Downcast brings over Pocket Casts.

Also throwing in a vote for Fantastical. I use both the iOS and OSX versions. Works and looks great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Batman posted:

Everyone seems to be high on Downcast. I've been using Pocket Casts for some time now, and I'm really enjoying it. What, if any, are the advantages Downcast brings over Pocket Casts.

Also throwing in a vote for Fantastical. I use both the iOS and OSX versions. Works and looks great.

I tried Pocket Casts but it won't download podcasts automatically in the background, the app has to be open. Downcast will enact a download on wifi when I arrive home.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good app for loyalty cards/membership cards? One that scans the code so I can just scan my phone (reliably).

e: Any opinions on this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/key-ring-reward-cards/id372547556?mt=8

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 27, 2012

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

My friend from US wants to give me his Itunes gift card as a christmas present, but I can't redeem it on my normal account. Could I use an US account and gift stuff to myself? Or if I just straight up buy stuff from the US store would it be easy to sync it to my phone without losing my other stuff in the progress?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Is there an app for iPhones similar to Zipwhip (for android phones) which lets you send & receive texts through you cell number from your computer? I know about messages, but that only works if other people are registered with messages.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So after everyone backing it up in the thread I'm giving Downcast another try.

Does the refresh at location, as cool as it sounds, have a noticeable effect on battery life? If not that's fantastic!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not that I notice.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Pertplus posted:

Is there an app for iPhones similar to Zipwhip (for android phones) which lets you send & receive texts through you cell number from your computer? I know about messages, but that only works if other people are registered with messages.

Not unless you jailbreak.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nemoulette posted:

Thanks, I'll look around.

E: How would that work? Those webcam apps seem like they transmit to a computer.
Well I was thinking this one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mini-webcam/id379896463?mt=8
Looks like it just starts up a web server, which might work with Internet Explorer on the Xbox.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

So after everyone backing it up in the thread I'm giving Downcast another try.

Does the refresh at location, as cool as it sounds, have a noticeable effect on battery life? If not that's fantastic!

Nope, my battery never really changed, and the downloading in the background is amazing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Demicol posted:

My friend from US wants to give me his Itunes gift card as a christmas present, but I can't redeem it on my normal account. Could I use an US account and gift stuff to myself? Or if I just straight up buy stuff from the US store would it be easy to sync it to my phone without losing my other stuff in the progress?

Yes, I've bought stuff from both the UK and US stores. You need an address to sign in though (use his I guess) but once you've got it it's fine. You should be aware though that you won't be able to redownload stuff you bought on the US store without switching your account information back over to access it, so make sure you transfer your purchases to your computer so you've got a backup.

It also may not recognise app updates until you switch back to the store where you got the apps from, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks! I didn't want to redeem just in-case there was some wacky cross continent protection or something. Worked perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

jojoinnit posted:

It also may not recognise app updates until you switch back to the store where you got the apps from, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

As someone who's gotten apps from both the US and Japan stores, updates for apps that exist on both stores will be recognized, but will require you to switch to the account that you downloaded the app on. So if I downloaded iBooks from the Japan store and was logged into my US store account, it'd recognize that iBooks has an update, but I wouldn't be able to update unless I signed into my Japan store account.

• Locked thread