Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

I understand this phenomenon and have dealt with it first hand. I'm not an engineer, but I am a technician of (if I may brag) some accomplishment. Sometimes I work on something that was built by a genius who understands that even the best made things break and understands what it takes to put things back in order.

Then there are those who seem to almost deliberately make poo poo impossible to work on.

edit: Let me be clear that I am not claiming to be a master automotive mechanic.

Having a car designed for manufacture on an assembly line is not mutually inclusive with ease of disassembly and maintenance.

Blame the managers and finance people who try to squeeze every last dime out of their product by forcing the engineers to work within their design constraints of minimizing initial cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

As an engineer, let me explain this phenomenon:

Everyone has core strengths and weaknesses. Some engineers strengths are working with their hands, doing complex applied math, and solving 3d puzzles (design). Other engineer's strengths are making effective powerpoint presentations, holding meetings, delegating tasks, setting timetables, and accounting for dollars and hours spent.

Guess which set of strengths is shared by their managers and bosses. Guess which set of strengths is given power in the workplace.

That's true but the other issue is that service is really a secondary goal, the primary goal is getting the car together on the assembly line with as few quality control issues as possible. It gets even worse if something gets revised late in the design cycle to address something found in testing. Often something needs to be fixed while affecting as little around it as possible to keep costs down. You see a lot of manufacturers fixing issues in software now that might've meant a recall and replacement of major components 15-20 years ago.

Also, nobody's boss is going to be impressed by the engineer who makes the car easier to work on but makes it harder to assemble by workers who range from incredibly skilled line workers to knuckleheads who may very well be high or drunk.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
A friend of mine is looking into S197's, and I was just curious if there was any general recommendations. Years to avoid? Failure prone parts to look out for?

Vulgarian fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 17, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Dealer's service shops need to make money too. If you want easy to change plugs buy a straight 6 you babies.

I usually stay out of helping friends buy cars. You can only lose, never gain friendship that way. Learn to say nice things no matter what they buy. That is what people want.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Dealer's service shops need to make money too. If you want easy to change plugs buy a straight 6 you babies.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned something about the new 1L 3cyl ecoboost and with the rumors of IRS, what hath ford wrought? :aaaaa:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SanitysEdge posted:

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned something about the new 1L 3cyl ecoboost and with the rumors of IRS, what hath ford wrought? :aaaaa:

Watch the plugs be situated between the engine block and the firewall and require that the whole engine get pulled in order to perform a tune-up.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Got em down to 1.5k below invoice plus 1500 bucks in incentives. Think I can go lower?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Locobono posted:

Got em down to 1.5k below invoice plus 1500 bucks in incentives. Think I can go lower?

So, you talked them down to MSRP included what was already ordered? Awesome!

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Viggen posted:

So, you talked them down to MSRP included what was already ordered? Awesome!

Sarcasm? Not sure. Anyway the invoice price is about six grand below MSRP, FYI.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Locobono posted:

Sarcasm? Not sure.

Pretty sure it was. Keep them dangling until after the first. I bet they'll offer lower.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Viggen posted:

Pretty sure it was. Keep them dangling until after the first. I bet they'll offer lower.

Good advice. When do the 14's drop?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Locobono posted:

Good advice. When do the 14's drop?

March usually unless there's an issue.

edit: You should be able to beat invoice at this stage of the game, a '13 is already almost a year old. I paid invoice + 500 on a dealer ordered '11

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

kronix posted:

March usually unless there's an issue.

edit: You should be able to beat invoice at this stage of the game, a '13 is already almost a year old. I paid invoice + 500 on a dealer ordered '11

Like I said, right now they've agreed to more than 2500 below invoice.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Optioning one with the 3.73's is a killer. Really reduces the field. Is it possible / advisable to get the 3.73 diff installed aftermarket?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Locobono posted:

Optioning one with the 3.73's is a killer. Really reduces the field. Is it possible / advisable to get the 3.73 diff installed aftermarket?

its like an $600 job in labor alone. Ive heard 3.55 is comparable if you can find that. 3.31 is bleh though.

My dream mustang is just a non premium with recaro and 3.73, thats it... I dont need upgraded brakes. its $30,000 delivered, if i could get $1500 under invoice and $1500 with the rebate for $27000 that would be awesome.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

coolskillrex remix posted:

its like an $600 job in labor alone. Ive heard 3.55 is comparable if you can find that. 3.31 is bleh though.

My dream mustang is just a non premium with recaro and 3.73, thats it... I dont need upgraded brakes. its $30,000 delivered, if i could get $1500 under invoice and $1500 with the rebate for $27000 that would be awesome.

The dealer found ONE vehicle optioned with nav+3.73s and it has the brembos and backup sensor I don't care about. Looks like I'll be ordering a '14 and waiting.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

Agreed, I actually ordered my 2011 with the 3.55 gears because they trap better quarter mile times stock than the 3.73s. The 3.73s require an extra shift into 5th whereas the 3.55s (stock) don't need 5th.

Not sure if the extra 8 horsepower changes anything.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Yeah, it doesn't seem like the difference between the 3.55 and 3.71 is very much for the GT.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like the difference between the 3.55 and 3.71 is very much for the GT.

Looks like the point is moot. There aren't any around with the options I want and the factory is shutting down to retool for the 2014 model year. So any car I order wouldn't even show up until April.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
As legendary as the 3.73 rear gears are, it's time for people with newer Mustangs to realize that those 3.90 rear gears are the "new" 3.73. The entire point of the 3.73 was to outperform the best factory option. Now that the 3.73's are a factory option, the 3.90 will really wake up the newer Mustang. And keep it driveable on a daily basis. Plus it's a great way to get 4.10 performance and 3.73 gas mileage.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think I'm going to order some new headlight housings for my car. Are there any specific brands or aftermarket bits I should be looking at? Mine are heavily fogged and I want to just swap in some new ones. I've seen other '99-'04 Mustangs rolling around with what appear to be very clear housings with a black backing - what are those?

Edit: I guess they're cobra lights?

And, actually, it appears that it's just the '01-04 style - they apparently replaced the chrome insert with a black insert. Any bad stories about LRS?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-13008I-K/01-04-Mustang-Factory-Tinted-Headlight-Kit

This looks reasonable, and the video showing the guy installing it makes it look like it's decent fitment.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 23, 2012

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Devyl posted:

As legendary as the 3.73 rear gears are, it's time for people with newer Mustangs to realize that those 3.90 rear gears are the "new" 3.73. The entire point of the 3.73 was to outperform the best factory option. Now that the 3.73's are a factory option, the 3.90 will really wake up the newer Mustang. And keep it driveable on a daily basis. Plus it's a great way to get 4.10 performance and 3.73 gas mileage.

You must really like shifting a lot.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Did Ford change any specs in the Brembo pieces for GTs from 2012-2013? I'm gonna pick up some Hawk HP Plus brake pads for track days, but their catalog only lists 2012 Brembo GT (I have 2013 Brembos).

Standard '13 GT brakes are the same as '12 Brembo? I gotta call these guys I guess.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 24, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The T5 gearing is awful in my SN95 5.0. 4th and 5th gear are way too close, it feels like it should have a 6th gear.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I have a new problem, I have a set of those all-in-one key + fob for my ride.
one set works perfectly, I can remotely unlock/lock the doors and get in and start the car. my other set unlocks/locks the doors and when I get in to start the car, the car wont turn over.

I called up my dealer and explained I had a broken key, and the secuirty IKT label that comes with new car keys so I can get repaired or a replacement key.

When I talked to my dealers service department and they said it would be about $108 to reprogram the key with their hourly rate. I then called my dealers parts department and they said it would be $98 for a new key + programming fee would be $150.

Is there Somewhere on one of fords websites, where I can plug in the IKT security label and the vin of my car and order a new key and avoid these retarded jacked up dealer prices? which involves no more than 10 seconds of work to do?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

I have a new problem, I have a set of those all-in-one key + fob for my ride.
one set works perfectly, I can remotely unlock/lock the doors and get in and start the car. my other set unlocks/locks the doors and when I get in to start the car, the car wont turn over.

I called up my dealer and explained I had a broken key, and the secuirty IKT label that comes with new car keys so I can get repaired or a replacement key.

When I talked to my dealers service department and they said it would be about $108 to reprogram the key with their hourly rate. I then called my dealers parts department and they said it would be $98 for a new key + programming fee would be $150.

Is there Somewhere on one of fords websites, where I can plug in the IKT security label and the vin of my car and order a new key and avoid these retarded jacked up dealer prices? which involves no more than 10 seconds of work to do?

Assuming you've got an '01, like your posts seem to indicate...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/573325-how-to-program-a-pats-key.html

(requires you to have two original keys)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
yup, I got 2 original keys, but one of them stopped working!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

yup, I got 2 original keys, but one of them stopped working!
Then you're going to be making a trip to a dealer!

(two original working keys)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I have searched for about 2 hours today, looking for places to sell reprogrammed keys. I just cringe at the fact that I am about to be out 100 to 150 bucks to clone a key that the dealer is gonna make in less than 5 min. :(

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

I have searched for about 2 hours today, looking for places to sell reprogrammed keys. I just cringe at the fact that I am about to be out 100 to 150 bucks to clone a key that the dealer is gonna make in less than 5 min. :(
At least according to that site (which, granted, is a mustang forum, so ...), it actually takes them a fair bit of time. There's apparently two 10 minute delays built into the process of programming a new master, which is required if you don't have two original working keys.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Locobono posted:

You weren't talking to me, but I must confess, I love to shift.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Locobono posted:

Not a problem if you choose the better performing, more reliable, stronger transmission. :smug:

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Not a problem if you choose the better performing, more reliable, stronger transmission. :smug:

You may have a point, but it seems like women are still impressed by man who knows how to drive a manual and I need all the help I can get.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Did Ford change any specs in the Brembo pieces for GTs from 2012-2013? I'm gonna pick up some Hawk HP Plus brake pads for track days, but their catalog only lists 2012 Brembo GT (I have 2013 Brembos).

Standard '13 GT brakes are the same as '12 Brembo? I gotta call these guys I guess.

Yeah that is the right part number for the brembo pad that's on a bunch of other cars too. Although if you are looking for a track day pad the hp+ isn't a very good one one. DTC-60 would be better if you want Hawks (and if you need a place to buy them from let me know).

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 26, 2012

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Mustangs are the best snow cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This listing just melted my face off:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/The-Original-JBA-Dominator-Mustang-Own-a-piece-of-Fox-Body-history-Ford-1989-/281041517078

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

I mean, it is a piece of Fox Body history, but not a $49k piece of it. They could probably get that if they wait for Barrett-Jackson, though. Those old morons love overpaying for gaudy cars with history.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
http://www.streetfire.net/video/steering-angle-on-foxbody-drift-car-project_2002314.htm

I want this.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

That's a great way to waste $48,000. It's horrible and looks like a bloated puffer fish that's been washed up on the beach shoreline and sitting in the sun for 3 days while seagulls slowly circle around and begin pecking at the dead, gaseous-filled puffer fish body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devyl posted:

That's a great way to waste $48,000. It's horrible and looks like a bloated puffer fish that's been washed up on the beach shoreline and sitting in the sun for 3 days while seagulls slowly circle around and begin pecking at the dead, gaseous-filled puffer fish body.

And it's ugly, too.