Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Paragon8 posted:

I imagine the most invasive thing you'll see from this is like Delta Airlines buying an ad campaign that's like "Check out all these pictures from #holidaydestination - book at a special rate now" and them displaying pics with hashtags from that location.

I experienced something like this a year or two ago when seeing an unfamiliar site in my Flickr referral logs. Somebody had set up a front end real estate-oriented website that was pulling Flickr tagged items and presenting them at the bottom of a page that listed various facts about the city you had searched for. I had shot some abandoned grain silos in this small town and 7 of the 8 photos on the site were mine.

I envision some poor fucker looking up where his company was moving him and seeing what must look like a nightmarish industrial hellscape of twisted, rusting metal covered in vile, racist grafitti and I laugh like a lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

They found one of my Iceland photos, I was glad it ended up in an innocuous subreddit.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Worked for me! Albeit I linked back to the photo on Flickr:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/rrew0/my_friend_calls_him_mr_ridiculously_photogenic_guy/

I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'll probably never take another photo that'll have as much impact as this one.

Direct link to the photo for those who prefer to avoid Reddit (I don't blame you):

Mr Ridiculously Photogenic Guy by King_of_Games, on Flickr

Did we sneak in advice in the "No Advice" thread? Or does it not count if the advice is ironic? :O

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I experienced something like this a year or two ago when seeing an unfamiliar site in my Flickr referral logs. Somebody had set up a front end real estate-oriented website that was pulling Flickr tagged items and presenting them at the bottom of a page that listed various facts about the city you had searched for. I had shot some abandoned grain silos in this small town and 7 of the 8 photos on the site were mine.

I envision some poor fucker looking up where his company was moving him and seeing what must look like a nightmarish industrial hellscape of twisted, rusting metal covered in vile, racist grafitti and I laugh like a lunatic.

This is the best story and makes me feel slightly less bad about the frequent theft of images.

Also knowing I will never shoot anything anyone would want to steal.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, it looks like instagram has recanted. Hopefully this sets a precedent in the future for TOS of web service companies to take in consideration the user and have clarified TOS that people can actually parse without leaping to conclusions.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's no leaping to be done when companies grab rights they have no reason to. Until we get infallible crystal balls we have to expect companies want to do what they try to get you to agree with. It's pretty simple.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There is a bit of a leap, maybe even a hop, to extrapolate some of the things that were circulating from the original TOS.

Online stuff is a very immature field with not a lot of precedent so we don't even know how well these stand up in courts of law.

Not to mention that a lot of people got bad information through linkbait blogs. No where did the TOS cede copyright which would have prevented a lot of what they were alleged to be able to do with it.

It was a huge clusterfuck on both sides with the silver lining that they are going back and clarifying their terms and removing elements.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

Online stuff is a very immature field with not a lot of precedent so we don't even know how well these stand up in courts of law.
All the more reason to try and get that poo poo to crystallize in the right direction.

Paragon8 posted:

Not to mention that a lot of people got bad information through linkbait blogs. No where did the TOS cede copyright which would have prevented a lot of what they were alleged to be able to do with it.
People getting bad info from bad blogs doesn't make the issue less relevant. It should be plenty clear you're not being trolled when it's on BBC's front page.

Paragon8 posted:

It was a huge clusterfuck on both sides with the silver lining that they are going back and clarifying their terms and removing elements.
It's just stupid of them to try and get away with it when anyone with a bit of street wise would have seen the issue from a mile away. Both G+ and Yahoo/Flickr have completely reasonable terms.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

right but going from "hey there's some pretty vague things here" to "instagram is going to create a stock agency using YOUR pictures and you'll be seeing your faces on store shelves without compensation" is a leap.

It's one thing for people to be stirred up and angry but you would hope that they'd know a bit more about what is going on rather than relying on a game of chinese whispers for information.

Like this ended in a good thing but just the sheer amount of drama and vitriol that spilled out was astounding to me.

Also Yahoo's TOS includes -

quote:

c. With respect to all other Content you elect to post to other publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Yahoo! the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and licence to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.

which is fact worse that instagram's sublicense as it allows Yahoo to modify the images as well.

Google has a similar one with the clause that it'll only do this to "operate, promote, and improving their services, as well as to develop new ones." because that's pretty crystal clear right?

The advertising one was a bit hinky on instagram's part but by large it is fairly standard alongside these other web services.

The important thing is that none of them take away copyright which prevents a lot of things that the TOS implies it can do. It's one thing to see the TOS in a vacuum which seems like a crazy document but another one when you understand how copyright works with it and actually prevents it from going full crazy.

Web based TOS as far as I know haven't been challenged in any court of law and I imagine wouldn't hold up if the company egregiously abused them.

Hopefully instagram will respond and put out a great TOS that will lead yahoo/google/facebook into adopting that standard.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 19, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Both G+ and Yahoo/Flickr have completely reasonable terms.

And I'm sure the 6 people left still using G+ will appreciate it :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google plus is stupid, but picasa is a great image host. :colbert:

No slobbering idiots plastering sparkling gifs in my comments, and all I have to do to link to an image is right click and click copy image url.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

right but going from "hey there's some pretty vague things here" to "instagram is going to create a stock agency using YOUR pictures and you'll be seeing your faces on store shelves without compensation" is a leap.

It's one thing for people to be stirred up and angry but you would hope that they'd know a bit more about what is going on rather than relying on a game of chinese whispers for information.

Like this ended in a good thing but just the sheer amount of drama and vitriol that spilled out was astounding to me.

Also Yahoo's TOS includes -

which is fact worse that instagram's sublicense as it allows Yahoo to modify the images as well.

Google has a similar one with the clause that it'll only do this to "operate, promote, and improving their services, as well as to develop new ones." because that's pretty crystal clear right?

The advertising one was a bit hinky on instagram's part but by large it is fairly standard alongside these other web services.

The important thing is that none of them take away copyright which prevents a lot of things that the TOS implies it can do. It's one thing to see the TOS in a vacuum which seems like a crazy document but another one when you understand how copyright works with it and actually prevents it from going full crazy.

Web based TOS as far as I know haven't been challenged in any court of law and I imagine wouldn't hold up if the company egregiously abused them.

Hopefully instagram will respond and put out a great TOS that will lead yahoo/google/facebook into adopting that standard.

I was about to post this as well. I remember when it was first instituted by Yahoo back in what 2006/7 and there was an uproar, but mostly contained to Flickr groups.

I think it's what lead to Flickr having different licensing types to make it clear what was available and what was not to the public and that it was only to alow the actual flickr service. (not that it stopped unscrupulous news orgs, ad agencies, etc. from using any image they drat well pleased, even if some people didn't realize what they were doing with the CC license).

Flickr really didn't make it crystal clear until they posted this to their blog in 2011, which they should have done years prior. http://blog.flickr.net/en/2011/05/13/at-flickr-your-photos-are-always-yours/

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I really like your photos, especially the creep, far-out multi-image-overlaps you do. The thought of some hapless agency trying to use your post-apocalyptic / Lovecraftian pictures to positively advertise for a place just makes me grin like an idiot.

"Enjoy Scenic Bummfuk!"
*picture of melted doll head with swastika-and-mickey-mouse background*

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Another "best of 2012" compilation, but of the badass astronomy variety. http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...rse.single.html

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm not sure if I should post this here, as this video is full of very useful advice for the avid nature photographer like myself, and this thread isn't really for advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13wGAzTv1pM

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I just found the best thing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holga-K-205-cat-sound-face-35mm-film-135-lomo-camera-/260565062383 It's a P&S that makes catte sounds when you take a photo. Pic for people too lazy to click through to ebay and buy THE BEST CAMERA EVER.

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought there was a flickr thread.. but I cant find it. Anyway flickr has a Christmas promotion at the moment and is giving away 3 months free of pro. I don't upload frequently enough to benefit from it - 82 photos total in 3 years - but still its pretty cool.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

nubdestoryer posted:

I thought there was a flickr thread.. but I cant find it. Anyway flickr has a Christmas promotion at the moment and is giving away 3 months free of pro. I don't upload frequently enough to benefit from it - 82 photos total in 3 years - but still its pretty cool.

drat it I just renewed mine a few days ago.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dread Head posted:

drat it I just renewed mine a few days ago.

They will just extend your subscription by a free three months. You have to go to your Flickr homepage and click on the the banner to accept it though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

nubdestoryer posted:

It died in May - if you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3181918

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

8th-samurai posted:

They will just extend your subscription by a free three months. You have to go to your Flickr homepage and click on the the banner to accept it though.

Hooray!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is a pretty neat idea, but I much prefer the ones that don't really rely on any after-the-fact doctoring to be awesome. Also a bunch of these are hamfisted when they could have been really subtly done.

http://fstoppers.com/actors-pose-as-some-of-their-most-famous-characters

So I guess great idea, good execution on some, "meh" execution on others.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Martytoof posted:

This is a pretty neat idea, but I much prefer the ones that don't really rely on any after-the-fact doctoring to be awesome. Also a bunch of these are hamfisted when they could have been really subtly done.

As far as I'm concerned these are loving terrible.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Didn't Morpheus have both feet in the movie?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Beastruction posted:

Didn't Morpheus have both feet in the movie?

Do you ever remember seeing both feet outside of the matrix.

DO YOU?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Saw the Sam Neill one as someone's avatar at least several months ago so these are pretty old.

And yeah, it's a cool idea with a pretty lame execution. I do like the Sam Neill one, though. It's the only one with even remotely dynamic posing or lighting. The Gerard Butler one tries but sucks.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Wow, f-stoppers is getting super lazy with its content and attribution - "I found this on Pinterest, of all places. Wasn't able to trace it back to one source."

Is Google Image search still a mystery to people?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
This time last year I had just gotten my 5D2 and had two weddings on the books for 2012.

This year I've acquired a full set of gear, upgraded to a 5D3 and have just one wedding on the books for 2013. It's for double what the first two were! Progress, I guess?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

This time last year I had just gotten my 5D2 and had two weddings on the books for 2012.

This year I've acquired a full set of gear, upgraded to a 5D3 and have just one wedding on the books for 2013. It's for double what the first two were! Progress, I guess?

I would say that shooting fewer weddings is totally progress as a photographer. Weddings are awful.

I say this having had the entirety of my income for the past 9 months be from wedding photography.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I would say that shooting fewer weddings is totally progress as a photographer. Weddings are awful.

I say this having had the entirety of my income for the past 9 months be from wedding photography.

We all do it, every photographer in the world has shot a wedding or two because they had to. They aren't that bad to me anymore, I'm just glad I have other photo work to balance it out.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I like shooting weddings :)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Quick question, y'all. I shot a family reunion type thing for my family last week. I'd love to put the photos up online somewhere in a gallery that let people order prints directly. I'm not looking to make any money off of this, just for a streamlined ordering process. Zenfolio and the like all seem to give me the $120/year options for that sort of functionality, which would be fine if I were running a business -- but I'm not. Anyone know of something that might work for this personal use-wise?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
SmugMug.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Huh, for some reason, I thought Smugmug only allowed commerce on their expensive plans, turns out they do it on the cheap stuff, too. Thank you!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They went through this thing earlier this year where they were only going to allow print pricing on their brand new $300/year plan, but after a lot of complaining by people they re-introduced their $150/y portfolio level that doesn't have features like packages or coupons.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

They went through this thing earlier this year where they were only going to allow print pricing on their brand new $300/year plan, but after a lot of complaining by people they re-introduced their $150/y portfolio level that doesn't have features like packages or coupons.
Thank Christ, I was really hesitant to drop $300 without shooting more paid gigs.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Thought you might like this rather large, uncropped photo from Tieneman square

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've had a poster with a black-and-white version of the famous image for a long time, I never realized it was a tight crop. Also, holy poo poo, I had thought 4 tanks was impressive enough, he's facing down dozens!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

ExecuDork posted:

I've had a poster with a black-and-white version of the famous image for a long time, I never realized it was a tight crop. Also, holy poo poo, I had thought 4 tanks was impressive enough, he's facing down dozens!

If you think that's impressive you should watch the video. Those tanks were moving when he got in front of them. Then when they try to drive around him he runs back in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I did my first real "UrbEx" today at an abandoned amusement park. It was creepy, but I was mostly afraid of running into a bum or drug addict or something. Shot 35mm and 120. I'll have it all once it gets developed. Here's a preview from my smartphone: