Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I liked Joe's last special, but this one was just terrible. The audience must be packed with podcast fans, because he kept pandering to that crowd with some really awkwardly unfunny bits that no-one should have laughed at.

It's like the material is all stuff he's rehashed a thousand times on the podcast, tossed into a single comedy special, but with the vital part that makes it worthwhile removed; the guests.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Just got done listening to the Stanhope podcast. The only thing that could beat it in quality would be a Rogan/Burr/Stanhope podcast.

3 hours long but it only felt like 1 because he and Joe have such a natural chemistry and kept the conversation going to interesting places.

You're an idiot if you don't check it out.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
So I tried to watch Rogan's new standup special with my sister over Xmas. Holy poo poo, was it ever terrible. Every joke was about blowing dudes. I saw him two years and it was night and day how different it was. The time travel joke which was really loving funny, somehow in two years became terrible. The podcast is having the reverse effect he thinks it is having.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've wondered about that myself, because Bill Burr's last special was really pretty damned boring. Another comic who gets a lot of mic time on a big venue is Jim Norton and I've NEVER found his stand up material as funny as his radio riffing.

I mean the gold standard for me is Louis CK, and he's still loving hilarious and has no podcast, so that's where I'm going to put my chips.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
i hope rogan never invites another DJ to JRE, so russell peters doesn't try to come on the show again. lousy comedian, lousy guest, and prolly a lousy DJ too

widunder
May 2, 2002
Josh Barnett was a great guest as usual as long as they stuck to MMA talk. When Rogan brought up the recent school shootings it felt like an onsetting earthquake.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Stanhope episode was good stuff from what I heard of it...much better than Stanhope's last appearance, where he was on shrooms and accused Joey Diaz of stealing his coins years ago. "Joey Jingles."

Also, I haven't heard any school-shootings talk, does Rogan suggest exercise as a way of preventing it?

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

More like blaming anti-depressants for the shootings, so I'd imagine he's more likely to pimp an onnitt supplement to deal with depression.

Speaking of Joey, is there really not a thread for the Church podcast?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Demie posted:

i hope rogan never invites another DJ to JRE, so russell peters doesn't try to come on the show again. lousy comedian, lousy guest, and prolly a lousy DJ too

Yep. He really is one of the worst guests.

jfballin posted:

Speaking of Joey, is there really not a thread for the Church podcast?

Is this any good? I've got such a backlog of various podcasts I've never got round to listening to this. 90mins of Joey Diaz rants I guess?

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

toggle posted:

Is this any good? I've got such a backlog of various podcasts I've never got round to listening to this. 90mins of Joey Diaz rants I guess?

Along with sage advice like "you gotta get out there, wash your pussy and go sling dick cocksucker!"

The co-host pairs nicely with Joeys insanity IMO and Joey has a call in guest each episode. Some eps are overly sappy and some are obviously held back by the host being too stoned.
He does music and movie recommendations as well. I found the rants about Black Sabbath to be particularly fascinating.

Lately I've found myself listening to it over JRE for the most part.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
So yesterday Joe had a professional pool player on? I'm downloading it now, but man, I don't know about the rest of you but it always makes me laugh when Joe goes on some dumb pool tangent.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

-Atom- posted:

So yesterday Joe had a professional pool player on? I'm downloading it now, but man, I don't know about the rest of you but it always makes me laugh when Joe goes on some dumb pool tangent.

The Quake ones make me laugh. He gets fired up about pings.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

I just spent $5 on Joe's new special and I'm seriously considering tweeting/emailing him and asking if I can have my money back, because I thought it was pretty lousy.

I have to question your logic son. It's An Intamite Rimjob you stupid gently caress. Not A, An. Christ, go back to kindergarten or wherever the gently caress most people learned this poo poo. If you're trying to be funny/ironic, take some zinc. And it's Blue Cheese with wings.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 28, 2012

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

-Atom- posted:

I don't know.. for me it's pretty interesting listening to someone talk in depth about a game that needs an incredible amount of dedicated precision by someone who spent a considerable amount of their time trying to perfect a craft which is seen as simply a bar game played by gambling addicted shlums. What aspects about his conversations on the sport of pool do you find as ""dumb"?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

goldblums eyes posted:

I don't know.. for me it's pretty interesting listening to someone talk in depth about a game that needs an incredible amount of dedicated precision by someone who spent a considerable amount of their time trying to perfect a craft which is seen as simply a bar game played by gambling addicted shlums. What aspects about his conversations on the sport of pool do you find as ""dumb"?

Dumb may have been the wrong word choice. I just always crack up whenever Joe starts getting fired up over a random topic, he does this all the time while commentating for the UFC as well and it makes me laugh.

Doug Benson would poke at Joe as well with how mundane and silly it is to go on a 10 minute rant on the intricacies of pool.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 28, 2012

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
It's mundane and silly to those who aren't into pool. Just like how anyone who isn't into (insert sport here) doesn't want to hear about the intricacies of the game.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

wolfbiker posted:

It's mundane and silly to those who aren't into pool. Just like how anyone who isn't into (insert sport here) doesn't want to hear about the intricacies of the game.

This is very wrong, I love hearing about the mindset and things running through any professionals head when it comes to sports even if I'm not into it. Joe is not a pro at pool though so Im not really into hearing him talk about the game like he is an expert, even if he is good.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

wolfbiker posted:

It's mundane and silly to those who aren't into pool.

Exactly, and if you do the numbers game you would find that to be pretty high. I'm not knocking Joe or pool, I just love how he doesn't really think to put a governor on Pool Chat and just jumps right into it.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 28, 2012

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

wolfbiker posted:

I liked the recent episode with the pro poker player who has become like... a life coach (or something) for MMA fighters, where they didn't even really talk about what he does and just talked about dolphin sex for a couple of hours

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

I liked the recent episode with the pro poker player who has become like... a life coach (or something) for MMA fighters, where they didn't even really talk about what he does and just talked about dolphin sex for a couple of hours

Yeah, Redban really saved the episode; that bit he and Joe did about dolphins having nipples in their assholes had me crackin' up. Despite all the hate Redban gets, his outright silliness can be a godsend when the guest has so little to say.

Also, sigh @ Matt Vengrin. I'm a professional poker player and have met Matt; while my interactions with Matt in person have been fine, he was not at all good on this episode (nor was he a good choice ab initio; it's pretty ironic that he mentioned cheating when he's been implicated in shady dealings and was [perhaps is still?] backed/coached by a notorious cheater). He was just so stiff, and rarely had anything to say; perhaps he was the only person in the room not stoned to the bone. Or perhaps he was intimidated by Joe. His talk about mental coaching smacked of charlatanism, he was incapable of providing even the most basic outline of what he does. It seemed like Joe could sense the waves of fraudulence emanating in his direction, and wanted so badly to savage Matt, but couldn't pull the trigger (perhaps for fear of sullying Onnit's image).

It's really a shame; Joe could've gotten JC Alvarado (a Mexican poker player who gets a mention on the podcast), who has both a ton of hilarious stories about the eccentric fuckers who comprise the poker community and the ability to articulate them. JC would've had way more to say about MMA (he actually competes in BJJ), JC has way better poker results (recently got 2nd in a super high roller tournament for 7-figs), JC has a ton of integrity and has never had serious cheating allegations leveled against him like Matt has. Oh, and JC would've blazed weed and gotten silly. It's just a shame that Joe had a drat near perfect representative of the poker community ready to go on the podcast and instead chose someone who seemed more interested in pimping some sort of "mental coaching" scam.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

nemoulette posted:

Josh Barnett was a great guest as usual as long as they stuck to MMA talk. When Rogan brought up the recent school shootings it felt like an onsetting earthquake.

Joe made an off handed comment about vaccinations too, he didn't elaborate on it thankfully.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Joe's opinions about things should only get expressed on the show if they were conceived in a "wouldn't it be crazy if..." drug haze so that I can just laugh at how crazy these things are (bigfoot) without having to put thought into the fact that Joe probably actually believes them (AIDS denial)

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I do wonder how Rogan ever got Sam Harris onto the podcast. It seems that he loves to have people on who are rather than experts, fringe outlyers or enthusiasts, and then have a grand discussion that results in 'we should really be talking to a scientist or professor' and yet, Joe never seems to get people on who have any sort of objective scientific credibility.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've wondered about that myself, because Bill Burr's last special was really pretty damned boring. Another comic who gets a lot of mic time on a big venue is Jim Norton and I've NEVER found his stand up material as funny as his radio riffing.

I mean the gold standard for me is Louis CK, and he's still loving hilarious and has no podcast, so that's where I'm going to put my chips.

Joe Rogan, Artie Lange, and Jim Norton are three comics I absolutely love on podcasts/shows when they're riffing or telling stories, and really can't make it through most of their standup sets.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Joe Rogan, Artie Lange, and Jim Norton are three comics I absolutely love on podcasts/shows when they're riffing or telling stories, and really can't make it through most of their standup sets.

I couldn't agree more with you. All three of those comedians do next to nothing for me on stage, but I'll be damned if Artie and Jim Norton aren't some of the best talk show/radio guys to ever hit the business. Joe is kinda different but I still put him in that same category.

Also, during that five hour long Bert Kreischer episode at some point Joe starts comparing Google Adsense to some weird simulation theory and I couldn't stop laughing.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 4, 2013

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

-Atom- posted:

Also, during that five hour long Bert Kreischer episode at some point Joe starts comparing Google Adsense to some weird simulation theory and I couldn't stop laughing.

I don't think he was comparing it so much as he was saying that it was evidence that simulation theory is accurate lmao

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Just listened to the Bryan Callen podcast. Does that dude have any opinions that aren't derived from the lovely books that he reads?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

diesiel posted:

Just listened to the Bryan Callen podcast. Does that dude have any opinions that aren't derived from the lovely books that he reads?

If its in a book it must be true, right? I quit listening a few months ago, it just became one of those podcasts where every episode is the same despite the guest. Now I'll only listen when it's Bert or Duncan, otherwise it's just noise.

STOP WHINING
Mar 28, 2012

You're a fucking choir boy compared to me!
A CHOIR BOY!
After listening to Greg Fitzsimmons on Ari's Skeptic Tank, Fitzdog Raido is now my favorite podcast. I knew he was a good guest on The Joe Rogan Experience but after listening to Joe on his podcast it seems to me like they don't have the best chemistry. Greg also mentions to Ari that Rogan doesn't make a point of plugging people's podcasts or whatever till a couple hours in so that and the fact that I don't listen to satellite radio is probably why I never knew about Fitzdog Radio before. If you have never heard it before do youself a favor and check out the "New Years 2013" episode; Greg runs down his ten best podcasts of the previous year and reviews his last years predictions plus makes new ones for this year.

also podcast.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Neil Degrasse Tyson is going to be on! Somehow I'm thinking this won't be one of those crazy three hour ones, but here's hoping that Joe doesn't cut it short by asking him about ancient aliens.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson is going to be on! Somehow I'm thinking this won't be one of those crazy three hour ones, but here's hoping that Joe doesn't cut it short by asking him about ancient aliens.

Embarrassing things he will definitely bring up:

How humans evolved because they ate mushrooms, segue into Christianity is about mushrooms

Simulation theory

Tripping and exploring the universe, sensory deprivation

So basically nothing that can play well with what Tyson will want to speak about.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 9, 2013

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Throw in a bigfoot question as well.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
He's probably going to try to talk Tyson into smoking weed.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I wonder if he'll bring up the moon landing being a hoax.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wonder if Joe knows a god drat loving thing about Tyson and will he try to be as confrontational and awkward as possible and ruin it (this is exactly what he did with Sam Harris earlier last year).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

beep by grandpa posted:

I wonder if Joe knows a god drat loving thing about Tyson and will he try to be as confrontational and awkward as possible and ruin it (this is exactly what he did with Sam Harris earlier last year).

....probably not

It'll be a show with Joe asking joe-questions and Tyson answering them while Joe goes "whoa" for two hours.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Combo posted:

I wonder if he'll bring up the moon landing being a hoax.

I hope you're listening.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm not, I just got home. I never watch the livestream, I just download the podcast and listen at work. I may tune in for the hell of it though to see Tyson just destroy whatever he has to say.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, I just tuned in and the first thing I hear is "Well I understand that, but if I was more conspiratorally minded I'd say(goes on to say the thing he 'might' say.)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

He's talking about chemtrails. DeGrasse says he knows nothing about them and now Joe is telling him all about how crazy Eddie is.