Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

This is a craigslist find. The guy claimed his dad was the original owner. The player is in pristine condition and works beautifully otherwise. I think the needle is just worn, maybe? A rebuild in Europe is 99 euro, which I suppose isn't bad for an MMC3...

This guy is in Roswell, GA and did a great job rebuilding my MMC4. It was around $125 USD. He ships int'l as well.

http://aminaaudio.com/

These guys have a rebuilding and a replacement service.

http://www.sound-smith.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I picked up a Fisher receiver for a friend (a neighbor was going to dump it) and it seems to work alright with my headphones jacked in. Needs a little bit of deoxit so the volume knob doesn't make static-y noises, but otherwise seems fine. The thing that's thrown me for a loop is that the speaker inputs seem to be RCA inputs. Can I just use some electrical tape to attach these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062472 to speaker wire to get it to work? If not, what do I need?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That should work fine. It uses RCA jacks because that unit was probably sold as a complete set with speakers included. The speakers would have had permanently attached wires with the RCA inputs on the end. It was never really meant to be used with other speakers.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
I picked up a MCS 3212 and it cleaned up pretty nicely. It seems to be a dual mono setup so I'm assuming that it's a kenwood rebadge. It's got two inputs on the back of it though, one is called CERA and I can't remember off the top of my head the other one. Does anyone know what those inputs are for?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Funeral Pudding posted:

If there were something creating friction in the tonearm bearings, that would also cause the cartridge not to track properly at lighter tracking forces. I'm not very familiar with B&O tonearms, so I can't give any specific suggestions, but you might try making sure the arm feels smooth throughout its range of motion. If there's any resistance, that could be your problem.

The tone arm moves effortlessly throughout its range.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Haha just read your thread on VE.

Content: From what I've read here and there i'm pretty sure it's a cartridge issue since the heavier tracking weight fixed it. This is pretty unfortunate as I believe those carts are horrendously expensive.

Yeah, I guess that is the only conclusion to come to.

Sorry to be so dense about this, but bottom line: am I damaging my records by playing them with the stylus pressure increased from 1.2 to ~2g?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The tone arm moves effortlessly throughout its range.

Yeah, I guess that is the only conclusion to come to.

Sorry to be so dense about this, but bottom line: am I damaging my records by playing them with the stylus pressure increased from 1.2 to ~2g?

As long as it is within the range of the specified weights, it should be fine. A lot of people damage their records by trying to go as light as possible, resulting in the needle bouncing around in the grooves. They think, "lighter will result in less wear" but going heavier can also result in less wear as well. Naturally you can go too far one way and too far the other.

Unfortunately, given the medium, you're always damaging your records since you're essentially dragging a diamond along soft plastic.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Yeah, I wouldn't go super heavy with an elliptical, but at 2 you should be alright.

If you haven't already, try asking your question again on the beoworld.org forums some of those guys are wizards.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

The Leon Hikari posted:

I picked up a MCS 3212 and it cleaned up pretty nicely. It seems to be a dual mono setup so I'm assuming that it's a kenwood rebadge. It's got two inputs on the back of it though, one is called CERA and I can't remember off the top of my head the other one. Does anyone know what those inputs are for?

I would guess Cera is for a ceramic cartridge level input for a turntable. The other one is MAG maybe?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So I've finished restoring a Dual 510 turntable, but it needs a bit of a push-start to get up to the proper speed. The motor, even when the rubber belt is not hooked up to the platter makes a bit of a wearing noise.What's the process of cleaning and lubing it. I've already taken it apart into the 4 different pieces. It's a pretty simple unit, I just need to know where to spray the contact cleaner, where to lube, and maybe any other fluids (bodily or otherwise) that need to be added to the mix.

Awesome diagram:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The main oil points for these motors are below the belt pulley where the shaft enters the motor housing. Ensure you get no oil on the pulley itself as this will mess with the speed from slipping. The other is the motor spindle bearing at the bottom. There is two screws on the bottom cover that give access to the shaft. Use something more viscous than 3 in 1 here, bearing grease if you've got some handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVZWnV54Iw
It's in German, but it shows it well.

e: Forum software doesn't support time links, jump to 30 seconds.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 18, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Blistex posted:

So I've finished restoring a Dual 510 turntable, but it needs a bit of a push-start to get up to the proper speed. The motor, even when the rubber belt is not hooked up to the platter makes a bit of a wearing noise.What's the process of cleaning and lubing it. I've already taken it apart into the 4 different pieces. It's a pretty simple unit, I just need to know where to spray the contact cleaner, where to lube, and maybe any other fluids (bodily or otherwise) that need to be added to the mix.

For what it's worth, my AR ES-1 had similar problems in that I had to push start the platter to get it going and the motor made a knocking noise. I replaced the belt and it can now start on it's own and the motor is dead quiet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

eggsovereasy posted:

For what it's worth, my AR ES-1 had similar problems in that I had to push start the platter to get it going and the motor made a knocking noise. I replaced the belt and it can now start on it's own and the motor is dead quiet.

Brand new belt, so that's not the issue sadly.

Ron Burgundy posted:

The main oil points for these motors are below the belt pulley where the shaft enters the motor housing. Ensure you get no oil on the pulley itself as this will mess with the speed from slipping. The other is the motor spindle bearing at the bottom. There is two screws on the bottom cover that give access to the shaft. Use something more viscous than 3 in 1 here, bearing grease if you've got some handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVZWnV54Iw
It's in German, but it shows it well.

e: Forum software doesn't support time links, jump to 30 seconds.

Ok, will have to give it a try. Thanks.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
I think the best thing about working at a thrift store is getting these stereo receivers at a dirt cheap price because they generally don't sell. I picked up a Kenwood Model Nine GX today, $3. I haven't gotten around to hooking it up, the guy who donated it said it sounded kinda quiet and the knobs crackled. I figure I'll give it a contact clean and maybe get it recapped if it's worth it.

What's there to know about this receiver? I actually just got my #2 (Modular Component Systems 3212. Apparently it's dual mono because it has two power blocks when I opened it up) up and running (driving a set of Bose 301 Series IIIs and a subwoofer) after a good cleaning.

Do I need three classic amps? No. Do I like having them for show? Most definitely.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Just googled that receiver, that is a thing of beauty, and for only 3 bucks. I think I hate you, I never find anything really that cool at thrift stores.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I hate how the thrift stores in my town all charge upwards of a hundred bucks for anything that looks even remotely hi-fi. At least the places where did the minimum amount of testing (ie they tried connecting it to mains and it powered up).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I hate how the thrift stores in my town all charge upwards of a hundred bucks for anything that looks even remotely hi-fi. At least the places where did the minimum amount of testing (ie they tried connecting it to mains and it powered up).

At least they know who their clientele is and are supporting poor people, right? Nobody who isn't looking for that stuff goes in there and buys it.

edit: I hate baby boomers on Craigslist who charge $500 for anything old.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

alg posted:

At least they know who their clientele is and are supporting poor people, right?
It's probably worth mentioning that not all thrift stores are charities, or not-for-profit orgs.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

minivanmegafun posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that not all thrift stores are charities, or not-for-profit orgs.

I do work for a legitimate non-profit thrift store, however. Our prices are generally "yard sale"-ish. Prior to that I worked in a "charity" thrift store, and needless to say it wasn't very charitable. 100% of the profit went to our cause, sure, but that's after everyone and their mother got a cut of it.... ultimately, between that and the company trying to raise sales every year, the prices were through the roof and it hit the end user hard. $13 for a large wicker basket? I don't think so.

Needless to say, the place I work at now I generally wouldn't put more than $20 on a nice hi-fi setup unless it was a tube amp or something really special.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I bought another R2R, what is wrong with me.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

TooLShack posted:

I bought another R2R, what is wrong with me.

It's the same problem I have. I keep buying these vintage stereo amplifiers because they're cheap and I love cleaning them up and seeing how they work. Plus, it's a good investment I feel: there's always going to be people out there willing to buy this hardware if I keep it clean and in good shape.

On the plus side, I got my Model Nine GX cleaned up today. Boy is that thing a bitch to put back together, but it's definitely worth the time and money invested cleaning it. Now my question is, what the hell am I going to do with it? Should I hook everything I have from my MCS 3212 and harman/hardon 430 to it?

Edit: Also, I realized that the interconnects on the back of the amp to go from the preamp to the amplifier are just metal unshielded bars. Should I switch these to shielded cables?

The Leon Hikari fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 23, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
There are some really good R2R machines out there.

There is nothing like 4 tracks at 15IPS. My TEAC A3340S

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Leon Hikari posted:

It's the same problem I have. I keep buying these vintage stereo amplifiers because they're cheap and I love cleaning them up and seeing how they work. Plus, it's a good investment I feel: there's always going to be people out there willing to buy this hardware if I keep it clean and in good shape.

Exactly! Vintage audio equipment is only getting more and more expensive, and even stuff that you wouldn't expect to really fetch more than a few bucks is going for enough to make it worthwhile. A friend found a mint Sears Electronics stereo in a thrift store for $5. It was a mid-70's unit, but really light, crappy components, and not really a great sounding unit. Basically, it was the cheapest thing you could buy at the time that passed for HI-FI. He cleaned it up, put it on eBay and got $100. The buyer wanted it because that exact model was his first stereo he ever bought. Sometimes it's not the actual unit, but the nostalgia that makes it worthwhile.

If I knew what I know now, back in the early-mid 90's and not been a pre-teen with no money I'd have gone door to door picking up and buying people's old stereos. Apparently around then everyone was throwing them in the trash because they didn't play CDs. A guy I know said that at one time he had 10 Marantz systems, just as many Pioneer, and another 10 quality units from people who were going out and buying lovely Sony CD Players. He could have had more, but since there were so many being given and thrown away, he only took the ones that sold for over $500 back when they were new. He said he sold most of them from 1993-1997, and charged $50 each. He said if he had thrown some desiccant packets in them, wrapped them up and put them in the attic and sold them now, he could have paid for the first two years of his daughter's BA.

If you have the money, and it's going for a decent price, snatch those vintage stereos/R2Rs/turntables up. The people who listened to those stereos when they were new are at the age where their kids are gone, and they're wondering what to spend their extra money on. Also a lot of younger people like myself are realizing how nice that vintage equipment is, and are willing to pay a bit for it. I really can't see a scenario that doesn't start with a Ron Perlman dialogue about War that would result in someone not being able to unload decent vintage equipment and walk away with money in their pocket.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Good quality never goes out of fashion.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah the R2R I got was a Sony TC-645, which is a bit smaller but heavy as hell compared to my current TC-378. Tested it out and it sounded great, all the knobs worked and the VU meters were still kicking. Only issue was when I would stop FF or RW the tapes would keep free spinning. After cleaning up the huge mess of tape I did a bit of googling and there are 3 sets of brakes, 2 sets for each reel, then a 3rd for the pause lever. All they are is some felt covered pieces of plastic. Scrapped off the old felt, picked up some new felt with adhesive backing and cut out some new ones. Deck is working just fine now, and I think that is what I love above this vintage equipment. You can work on it and actually fix things.

Next thing to figure out is my Technics SL-1600 that I got for 20 bucks. It was used in night club or something, it was covered in cigarette tar. I cleaned it up inside and out, can't get some of the stains out of the paint, but no longer sticky. Issue the TT has is when I hit start the tone arm moves, but then just jumps across the platter to the end then goes back. If I set the memo to zero and just do a manual start it works fine, auto return works great. So past week I've just be doing manual starts. I've cleaned and re-lubed everything on the inside but the tonearm pivot assembly. Not brave enough yet to dive into that mess and I think I'm just gonna give up and just do manual starts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm about to set up a 2 channel setup for my entertaining room. I'm curious what exists for amplifiers if I don't want to tie the amp in with a Screen or TV.

I want to be able to hook up android devices, ipods etc, and also be able to access my NAS which has around 32gb of music on it. I'm wondering if maybe just a basic amp will work better with a mini stereo jack leading to the back. Also it would be nice to have vinyl capability even though I don't have a turntable or vinyl.

For speakers I'm going to run some Klipsch Heresey's. I can get them for 5 or 600 used through CanuckAudiomart. I might pair them with a subwoofer, nothing big maybe just a 12" that can go down to the mid 20hz area.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like to collect CDs but I want to start collecting vinyl as well. After some looking around on this site and google, I'm considering getting the Project Debut Carbon as a first turntable. There are some options that confuse me though. My amp doesn't have a phono in so I need a preamp right? There is a model that has and one that does not have a usb preamp included in the turntable.

With: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbonphonousb&cat=turntables&lang=en

Without: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbon&cat=turntables&lang=en

Is it worth getting the one with the preamp or getting a separate preamp? I do want a USB connection. The price difference here is about $150.

All the shops in Australia that I can find that carry these also seem to offer the choice between an Ortofon OM 10 or 2M red. I don't know which one to get! I gather the 2M red is the new one, but is it better? Thanks!

realbez fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 25, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is usb actually important to you or was that a typo? Separate pre amp is probably preferable if possible.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

realbez posted:

All the shops in Australia that I can find that carry these also seem to offer the choice between an Ortofon OM 10 or 2M red. I don't know which one to get! I gather the 2M red is the new one, but is it better? Thanks!

Debut is a great starter table. The OM is a decent entry level cart but the 2M is a big step up. I think the OM series has recently been discontinued too.

e: looks like everyone says the OMs are NLA every few weeks. Possibly disregard that statement.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 26, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
So, I got this starter turntable for Christmas today. I'm pretty excited.

However, I am completely knew at this.. I have nothing in the way of a decent home audio setup, so I am starting totally from scratch. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for when I buy a receiver? I read the OP. Do most of those older, used receivers have RCA inputs so I can just plug in my turntable and go?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

alg posted:

Is usb actually important to you or was that a typo? Separate pre amp is probably preferable if possible.

It isn't particularly important, but it would be nice. I'm a bit obsessed with having all my music on my computer, though that is a bit easier to do with CDs obviously. I'll have a look around at preamps.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Debut is a great starter table. The OM is a decent entry level cart but the 2M is a big step up. I think the OM series has recently been discontinued too.

e: looks like everyone says the OMs are NLA every few weeks. Possibly disregard that statement.

Thanks, 2M it is.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

hobbez posted:

So, I got this starter turntable for Christmas today. I'm pretty excited.

However, I am completely knew at this.. I have nothing in the way of a decent home audio setup, so I am starting totally from scratch. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for when I buy a receiver? I read the OP. Do most of those older, used receivers have RCA inputs so I can just plug in my turntable and go?

Any receiver even a modern one will do for that turntable as it has a built in pre-amp, just use an input marked for CD or AUX or video or anything. You don't need one with PHONO.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
If anyone cares, I have my initial setup up and running. After some digging, I found my dads receiver from college, an akai aa-r32. After about 7 moves and a decade or two of neglect in the garage, it somehow still works! He also hooked me up with some old JBL 2800s we have had since I can remember.

I put it all together and it sounds great! I can't wait to get home so I can start browsing local record stores.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
One more question. All I have is a PS3 to play my cds feeding into a yamaha amp and two speakers. Since I've been looking into turntables I've been reading a lot of stuff about bullshit audiophile scams. Is there really any difference between that $50 phono preamp and the $300 one or do they do the same thing?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Moving to Germany so I've gotta get sell off my hardware since it's all 120. Anyone over there have suggestions for where I can find replacements for cheap?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for shipping 30-40 records I would appreciate it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

realbez posted:

One more question. All I have is a PS3 to play my cds feeding into a yamaha amp and two speakers. Since I've been looking into turntables I've been reading a lot of stuff about bullshit audiophile scams. Is there really any difference between that $50 phono preamp and the $300 one or do they do the same thing?

They do the same thing, but they might not do it exactly as well. If you're not sure, try the $50 one first. See if you're not happy with that. Odds are those $250 are (much) better spent on a better cartridge, speakers, or some new vinyl.

Edit: I was in a hurry and bought the first phono preamp I could find, which was a NAD PP2 from my local hifi shop. It's nice! It has MM & MC inputs, and I've not had any problems with it in these 2 years since.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 28, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I paid a hundred and something Australian dollars for a Pro-Ject PhonoBox II a few years back when the dollar was crap compared to the USD, so not that much money, and the sound quality is great, it does MM and MC, it is hand numbered which is a nice touch, and the build quality is great.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
I got some bookshelf speakers for christmas and now I'm looking for a receiver to hook them + my turntable to. I found this one on craigslist and was wondering if it was a good deal or not. My turntable is just the basic $100 audio technica one, and my speakers are these if it matters at all.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I think that JVC JR-S301 for $70 is a better deal. The JVC's of that era may be ugly, but 60 wrms ain't nothing to sneeze at.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/3402756841.html

http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/jvcstereoreceivermodeljr-s301.html

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 30, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
http://boingboing.net/2012/12/28/working-record-made-from-ice.html

quote:

Swedish band The Shout Out Louds released a limited edition of 10 promos for their new album that consisted of latex molds that you filled with distilled water, froze, and played on a turntable.

Doesn't sound all that good, judging from the video, but I'm kind of impressed they got it working!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've got a vintage receiver question for those of you using them, I did read the OP and it was incredibly helpful but I'm looking for a little more guidance I think.

I've been hunting craigslist casually for a few months and checking vintage shops around town (most of them in Portland know how to use Google and understand the value of vintage electronics unfortunately). I have my record player downstairs with my home theater and modern pioneer receiver. I'm thinking I'd like to move it upstairs and find a vintage receiver and vintage speakers to pair with it.

I know I'd like (ideally) a 70's Marantz, Harman Kardon, or Pioneer receiver. But past that I'm trying to work on some better criteria to help refine my search. What's an ideal wattage to look for? is 20w going to be too low if I want something I can upgrade into with time? What are some flagship model #'s I should keep an eye out for? Ideally I'd love a list of model #'s I can keep on my phone as a reference for when I'm browsing. What's the most I should spend if I find a nice refinished one at a shop? Yesterday I saw a beautifully restored HK receiver for $150 and while I don't mind spending $150 on the right receiver I was a little wary because I didn't know if it would meet my needs or if it was overpriced for what I could find if I just look a little longer. It was a 1976 and I believe it was 20w, but I figured it'd be best if I keep doing my homework for now since I'm in no rush and want to make sure I get the right one.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm also trying to find out how good the cartridge that came with my audiotechnica at-lp120 is. it's green and I believe it's the AT95E, I'm hoping it's good enough to keep for a while without needing to replace it right away.