Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

oh no

North Beach Operations Center by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

would've posted it earlier, but I can't get a good scan because the Epson film holder is bad and refuses to hold the provia flat for some reason

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

atomicthumbs posted:

oh no

North Beach Operations Center by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

would've posted it earlier, but I can't get a good scan because the Epson film holder is bad and refuses to hold the provia flat for some reason

Sorry to say I personally prefer moonducks picture better. The shadows on yours makes it a bit messy. Looks like moonduck came by on a day with a bit better lighting for that sort of picture.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

atomicthumbs posted:

Honestly, I've been shooting that tunnel since high school. Things like that and the beached Point Reyes boat are things you see every Bay Area photographer who "discovers" Point Reyes takes a shot of. I was however, driving past and had a new camera I wanted to try out, and the light was particularly nice. It's one of those spots I keep trying to take the perfect picture of, and I never quite nail it. I was pretty happy with this attempt though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

goattrails posted:

Sorry to say I personally prefer moonducks picture better. The shadows on yours makes it a bit messy. Looks like moonduck came by on a day with a bit better lighting for that sort of picture.

That's another reason why I didn't post it; it's not my best work :v:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Some pictures of a bike path near my apartment that I took back in October.

DSC04042 by dtloken, on Flickr

NEX-3

IMG_1943 by dtloken, on Flickr

iPhone 4S auto-panorama.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Cities can be landscapes, right?

Two from my first visit to Chicago last spring:

Also I am REALLY EXCITED that we are getting our first snow in upstate NY right now... if it sticks around until this weekend, maybe I'll be able to get some winter shots.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Those are great, you should post them in the long exposure thread, too!

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.

Mathturbator posted:

What have you done in post? The dynamic range seems very compressed, but in a HDR sort of way (not making any sense here, I know)

Highlights -80
Shadows +80
Whites -80
Blacks +80

and just work from there. Cheap HDR effect.

Not sure if I ever posted this before, but I lost my Lightroom catalog a while back and had to process this again from scratch. Highlands of Vietnam.

Lak Lake by Alan Grainger

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 27, 2012

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I've got to be honest it looks unpleasant to me. I'm not against even massively altering a landscape to make it unrecognizable from the original, but when the contrast is reduced like that it's almost similar to an uncanny valley situation where I'm expecting to see the contrast and it's not there and I just can't move past that. The photo takes on this odd 2D look.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
My only problem is that doing that sort of HDR thing really emphasizes the chromatic aberration.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Rubber Slug posted:

My only problem is that doing that sort of HDR thing really emphasizes the chromatic aberration.

Buy better lenses scrub. :smugdog:

Seriouspost: LR also has a CA correction slider, works well.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 28, 2012

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Well it shows up in Metalslug's picture a little. Anyway, to contribute:

IMG_2208 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

IMG_2210 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

I went to New Mexico for Christmas and actually snagged a couple shots I kinda liked! Although they're pretty similar in subject matter.

Istrian
Dec 23, 2006

Et, ou tu vas exactement?

Eiffel Tower at winter by qbulka, on Flickr

Champs-Elysées at christmas by qbulka, on Flickr

La Défense by qbulka, on Flickr

Some city landscapes that I tried to improve because of the terrible winter weather conditions.

Istrian fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 29, 2012

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

InternetJunky posted:

Last light on the prairies from yesterday.

This is beautiful.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.

East Lake posted:

I've got to be honest it looks unpleasant to me. I'm not against even massively altering a landscape to make it unrecognizable from the original, but when the contrast is reduced like that it's almost similar to an uncanny valley situation where I'm expecting to see the contrast and it's not there and I just can't move past that. The photo takes on this odd 2D look.

Rubber Slug posted:

Odd - that photo is absolutely not processed in the faux-HDR method I just mention, nor using HDR software either.

Simple values:

Contrast 0
Hightlights 0
Shadows +10
Whites +31
Blacks 0
Clarity +19

Really not that much done to it. ??

Regarding chromatic aberation - I can't really see it, so never look to reduce it. V:unsmith:V

I love this!!

-----

Although I am currently quite enjoying the low-contrasty feel very much:

Hung dawn by Alan Grainger

Only one road out of town by Alan Grainger

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 30, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Metalslug posted:

Odd - that photo is absolutely not processed in the faux-HDR method I just mention, nor using HDR software either.

Simple values:

Contrast 0
Hightlights 0
Shadows +10
Whites +31
Blacks 0
Clarity +19

Aren't Highlights, Shadows and Clarity sliders exactly various forms of local contrast adjustment? Which is one of the things that can cause that "bad HDR" effect with haloing etc.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Industrial landscapes count too right?

FP4+ 125 iso

I want to capture how desolate this area feels to me. The cranes in the background work somewhat for giving a sense of size and i like the coal plant in the distance. Less pleased with the contrast and tones of the image.
This is with the original colours in the scan, been messing around with black and white adjustment but i can't get it to look the way i want.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

This looks great with the contrast as-is. It almost reminds me of some of the shots in Red Desert (1 and 2). The low contrast implies a kind of hazy, smog-filled landscape.

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 31, 2012

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

NihilismNow posted:

Industrial landscapes count too right?

FP4+ 125 iso

I want to capture how desolate this area feels to me. The cranes in the background work somewhat for giving a sense of size and i like the coal plant in the distance. Less pleased with the contrast and tones of the image.
This is with the original colours in the scan, been messing around with black and white adjustment but i can't get it to look the way i want.

I like this photo, but the sky looks green to me and it throws it off.

And once again I forgot about the landscape thread so have a photo.

2012-817 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Metalslug posted:

Simple values:

Contrast 0
Hightlights 0
Shadows +10
Whites +31
Blacks 0
Clarity +19

I was mainly talking about the one on the last page that you posted the settings for. Sorry for the mix up. :)

The only thing that sticks out to me in the Lak Lake shot is the shadow boost, mainly with the flatness of the mud in the foreground.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 31, 2012

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

This is incredible!! Absolutely stunning.

---

Mitilini harbour by Alan Grainger

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

How many shots did you have to stitch together for this?

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

NihilismNow posted:

How many shots did you have to stitch together for this?

6. But I realised that I should have taken them portrait and used a lot more shots, would have been much much better. Never thought of that before. Next time!!

I used PTGui to make it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Winter rules.

IMG_1124 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

IMG_1181 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Winter does, in fact, rule:

Kelowna by hookshot88, on Flickr

Coquihalla by hookshot88, on Flickr

Kelowna by hookshot88, on Flickr

Silverstar Torchlight Parade by hookshot88, on Flickr

vega
Nov 6, 2003
Any Color You Like
Would like some feedback on these two panoramas.
I don't remember what I did with them in post, but I feel they are a bit to "over prosessed"...

panorama Roque Nublo by Jan Arvid Grimsrud, on Flickr

Roque Nublo Panorama by Jan Arvid Grimsrud, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The bottom more so than the first. You're getting some pretty bad halos there on the horizon.

vega
Nov 6, 2003
Any Color You Like

Saint Fu posted:

The bottom more so than the first. You're getting some pretty bad halos there on the horizon.

Thanks. Your referring to the white dotty areas around the trees and along the mountains at the horizon?

I tried cutting out the skies and prosessing it to get it darker, but when I copied the skies back in it looked crappy.

Does anyone know a good tutorial on how to do that?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

vega posted:

Would like some feedback on these two panoramas.
I don't remember what I did with them in post, but I feel they are a bit to "over prosessed"...

panorama Roque Nublo by Jan Arvid Grimsrud, on Flickr

Roque Nublo Panorama by Jan Arvid Grimsrud, on Flickr

What software did you use here? The bottom one looks really bad and I think you need to learn to use a lighter touch.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Winter rules.

I'm loving this sooo much.

vega
Nov 6, 2003
Any Color You Like
Photoshop cs6 edition. "image" "adjustment" and "HDR toning".
I have a thing for HDR, but I can't seem to stop - so it gets too fake! hehe.

I still have the RAW files, so I'm gonna give it another shot

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Well, scroll up a bit and look at my snow landscape for a second. That's HDR. I had 3 exposures and I combined them with the HDR tool in Photoshop. Thing is I exported that as a 32bit tiff file and edited it Lightroom. Automatic tone mapping looks really bad. Truth be told I'm not even happy with my snow photo. If you look you can see a bunch of artifacts from the combining. You'll notice though, that even with the piles of extra contrast I've added on there aren't really any halos or clipping you get with what most people think of when they think HDR.

What you really need to do is think about your tones, why you want some areas lighter or darker than others. Try to avoid applying blanket adjustments to the whole image without looking at the details. You need to get some layers in there. You can brush in areas you think need more contrast, or in Lightroom 4 anyway, you can brush in with the clarity tool as well if you want to make a portion of your image have more 'pop'. You can't go plastering it on like makeup on a cheap whore, however.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Telephoto + lots of crap in the air + mountains = interesting effect:

Spime Wrangler posted:

Winter rules.

HookShot posted:

Winter does, in fact, rule:

Yes it does rule, and these are all lovely!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Winter may rule, but I decided to flee it:

edit for story:

If any of you ever travel down to Key West for sunset, you'll be extremely frustrated. At least at Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park (the westernmost point), swarms of cops and state park officials come through on golf carts to kick you out of the park the moment the sun drops below the horizon.

The other confused photographers and I tried to ask that we could remain, but the officials said, "You've taken enough; get out." No exaggeration! People were rushing to pack up their tripods and filters and kept being threatened with arrest because they weren't leaving fast enough.

So be prepared to be forced out halfway through sunset by people who apparently hate tourism.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 7, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It is most certainly winter out :colbert:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
latest Antarctic shenanigans...

Frazier Islands by Alex Gard, on Flickr
This one was about 10 images stitched together, taken from a ship moving at about 5 knots. really glad I didn't get bow wake wrecking the water for me.

berg by Alex Gard, on Flickr

A bit disappointed I used a slower shutter speed, but I think they still turned out ok.

drunkensailors by Alex Gard, on Flickr

DRAIN1 by Alex Gard, on Flickr
(does this last one count as a landscape?)

anyway, my latest efforts.... ciao

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 8, 2013

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

How do you get to Antarctica? Do you work on a research base there?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
working on a resupply/research ship.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Is there any way to predict how "colorful," for lack of a better word, a particular sunrise or sunset will be, preferably more than just an hour beforehand based on cloud cover? In googling this there seem to be lots of different opinions, many of them contradictory. I'm trying to plan a time lapse project, but I'm not sure if there's a way to schedule a "good" sunset beyond just waiting out the boring ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anecdotally, humidity and dust seem to be the big factors. I always see gorgeous sunsets after a big storm when there's a lot of water hanging in the air. Sunsets off the back porch of my uncle's house in Montana are always jaw dropping too, which is in a relatively dry area.

I can't remember the last time I visited and didn't see a sunset like that.