Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Just started using Awful on an iPad 4; I like it so far. I was wondering though if there was an option in the app to filter and display the posts of a single user from within a topic, for instance if I happen upon a 300 page topic that seems interesting but insurmountably large and I want to cut through the faff by only reading what the topic creator has posted and replied to. I know the feature is in the Android version of Awful as "Find Posts From This User," but I'm guessing they're unrelated to the iOS version, so that's why I wanted to ask if it's available here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Truman Sticks posted:

Just started using Awful on an iPad 4; I like it so far. I was wondering though if there was an option in the app to filter and display the posts of a single user from within a topic, for instance if I happen upon a 300 page topic that seems interesting but insurmountably large and I want to cut through the faff by only reading what the topic creator has posted and replied to. I know the feature is in the Android version of Awful as "Find Posts From This User," but I'm guessing they're unrelated to the iOS version, so that's why I wanted to ask if it's available here.

This would be really good for catching up on LPs too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there a way to refresh a picture that doesn't fully load? If not then there should be. I've tried opening the picture individually but sometimes that doesn't work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Truman Sticks posted:

This would be great. It would fit pretty well under the individual post options.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Sorry if this question has a dumb/obvious answer, but I really love the Awful feature of highlighting your own content (your replies, when you're quoted, etc.). Is there a way to do that in a plain ol' normal (non-mobile) browser? I was sifting through some forum options, greasemonkey scripts, and such and haven't been able to find anything.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Trustworthy posted:

Sorry if this question has a dumb/obvious answer, but I really love the Awful feature of highlighting your own content (your replies, when you're quoted, etc.). Is there a way to do that in a plain ol' normal (non-mobile) browser? I was sifting through some forum options, greasemonkey scripts, and such and haven't been able to find anything.

SALR browser extension I think.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Look up SALR.

E: f;b.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

jojoinnit posted:

SALR browser extension I think.

Ahhhh. I ditched SALR years ago when the features I cared most about got integrated into the forums themselves. If it doesn't suck these days, and is actively being developed/maintained, I'll give it another shot.

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I was just thinking (this is super nitpicky) that it's a bit strange that when you got to a thread you've viewed all the posts in you still see

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I was just thinking (this is super nitpicky) that it's a bit strange that when you got to a thread you've viewed all the posts in you still see

The problem is we don't know there's no unread posts until we ask for the next unread post. We don't even know which page to show, as someone could've started a new page in the meantime, so we leave that blank too. And we can't be sure of getting the unread count from the list of threads because we don't know which page the thread is on.

Basically this is corner case #10,000 where I picked what I thought was the least bad choice, and I'd love to do something more useful.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Fair enough, it seems like the best choice of wording in that case.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TACD posted:

Just managed to make the app crash writing out this post in the iOS games thread (luckily my spider-sense tingled and I copied the post first). Before it crashed, the text entry controls became kind of laggy, and when I long-pressed the box with Select/Select All was missing the pointy arrow part and didn't select text when I chose an option.

This bug report is probably entirely unhelpful. You're welcome :D

Hardly; it's about the best description you could write given what happened. Only better thing would be the crash log, but that's annoying to get.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
To anybody who reads YOS, hold onto your butts

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's both beautiful and terrifying.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 28, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: whoops

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There's also this:

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Also yes that's persistent side bar in portrait. Don't worry goons, it's a configurable option

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Can you not post new threads with this app??

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Correct.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

That sure is something awful!!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
edit: Wrong thread, twice.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 29, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm sorry but I'm not sure which icons you're referring to.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Someone had recommended Data Man as a good way to monitor data plan usage, but that same person also said it's not worth the $1 it now costs. Are there any good alternatives?

I think you have the wrong thread.

Edit: still

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Why is that?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Because everyone thinks it would be better if you, specifically, weren't able to make lovely posts.

Kidding, but I don't know the reason, but I can make a good guess. When the app first came out it was iPhone only, and I would bet OHIO decided he didn't want to spend time doing it, with the thinking that new thread is worth posting from the phone. Again, just my theory, but I think it holds true. I can't imagine a new post that needs to be made via your phone.

However, we now have iPads, and I think posting a new thread there makes more sense, and is now a little more feasible with all of the thread icons. However, I think polls need to get integrated as well to make posting a new thread feature complete.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It would also be a real bitch to test properly. We can get away with no-effort posts for testing purposes in this thread when the need arises, but I can't imagine the mods would be happy with us starting a bunch of lovely new threads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

For me the main holdup was actually thread tags. I'll take a run at it soon.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Just got an iPad for the holidays. Just a note to let you know how great I think this app is. Keep up the great work. It has become my preferred method of interacting with the forums.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

dutchbstrd posted:

To anybody who reads YOS, hold onto your butts

Is there a way to extend this across the whole app?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

Is there a way to extend this across the whole app?

Not currently built in through settings or anything, but I think you should be able to copy the stylesheet, rename it, and transfer it into the app through iTunes to get it everywhere.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
There's an odd bug I'm getting in Awful. You know how the "bookmarked" shows how many unread posts a thread has, and how those go away when you're done reading them? This one seemed to have some issues, but they were cleared up with the update.

Except that this time, there's just one thread that doesn't auto-mark itself as read - the Fracking thread - for some reason. It's a very minor issue, but it's there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You're not the only one to run into a problem like that, so it seems there's some weirdness I should look into. In the meantime, does it go away if you pull the list of threads down to refresh it?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

pokeyman posted:

You're not the only one to run into a problem like that, so it seems there's some weirdness I should look into. In the meantime, does it go away if you pull the list of threads down to refresh it?

Yes, refreshing does get rid of it. Reading does not.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Newest test version of awful has a way to view a users profile(/avatar)! And the browser is back too! Hooray!

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Hopefully the browser is being brought back as an option because I found it to be pretty terrible (compared to safari).

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think it's an option, but you can send it to safari from the in app browser.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

myron cope posted:

I don't think it's an option, but you can send it to safari from the in app browser.

Eugh, that really annoys me for some reason because whenever I return to a thread it's still open.

I'd love it as a toggle if that's possible pokeyman :-)

Unless you've drastically improved it that is...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well what were the problems? The way it rendered things?

A solid in app browser > another settings toggle.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is image uploading via the app still hosed? I tried it for the first time today and it just spun until I killed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

You can also long-tap links to open them in Safari, completely bypassing the in-app browser.

• Locked thread