Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Amazon's offering 15 free apps today in their store, including a few games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

mrkillboy posted:

You'll eventually unlock survival mode once you gain enough XP to reach a certain level. I find that you can get quite a bit more of both currencies playing that rather than just replaying levels from the campaign.

Ok cool, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, guys.

Speaking of tablet games, has any must-play game come out in the past 6 months or so? I haven't touched mobile games for quite a while and last time I played anything on my phone, Battleheart and Dungeon Raid were all the rage. I got TripleTown and SO, anything else I should definitely check out, preferably free?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Flying Milton posted:

I received a Kindle Fire. Is there anything that really stands out on the Amazon Store? Not having access to Play blows.

tater_salad posted:

Root and flash dat rear end
Survivalcraft is fun.

If it's the new HD verison, I'd say hold off on that for now. They've only just recently managed to figure out how to root them without perma-bricking them.

For now, under Settings should be an option to allow the installation of 3rd Party Applications. It's set to off by default, but you can set it to on. Then, you can sideload apps.

On the other hand, if it's a Classic, yeah, root & flash a custom ROM. I'm using twa_priv's CM10 ROM, and that's Android 4.1.2. He also has a CM10.1 ROM, and that's Android 4.2. I'm probably going to be backing up my apps & data, and upgrading to it Soon™.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Boondock Saint posted:

I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I've been playing around with GTA III, but I really want a Civ type strategy game. Hell, any strategy game will do. Any recommendations?

Since I managed to get Civilization 2 v2.42 (best Civ :woop:) running on Windows 7 64bit, I decided to use the same method on Android:

Installed on Win3.1, which is in turn installed inside of an emulated DOS environment.

Totally worth it for the live-action advisors. :smugbert:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 27, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Is it taking forever to download Spectral Souls for anyone else? I have a beefy connection but the counter went from 9999 to 8000 in like 3 hours. Too many people downloading it because of the sale or something?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Coldforge posted:

Amazon's offering 15 free apps today in their store, including a few games.

The Splashtop app here is freaking AMAZING. Gives you basically real-time remote desktop access.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the posted:

The Splashtop app here is freaking AMAZING. Gives you basically real-time remote desktop access.

Been using Splashtop for a while, but I also snagged Splashtop 2, which is the new version that's supposed to be better I guess? Oh well, it's free, so even if it's the same it doesn't matter.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Garfu posted:

Is it taking forever to download Spectral Souls for anyone else? I have a beefy connection but the counter went from 9999 to 8000 in like 3 hours. Too many people downloading it because of the sale or something?
I'm not sure what's going on lately but I've been having a hell of a time downloading most games' additional downloads on my Incredible 2, it seems to have started when I originally installed Total War Battles but now the progress bar just sits and spins forever until I cancel it to allow other apps to update, etc.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Battle Cats just got added to the Play store, it's bizarre and addicting. It was super popular in the iOS game thread.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bragon posted:

Battle Cats just got added to the Play store, it's bizarre and addicting. It was super popular in the iOS game thread.

:stare: I have to play this, it looks amazing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bragon posted:

We have achieved the pinnacle of games craftsmanship

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Bragon posted:

Just the introduction is better than many full-length films. I tremble to think what other gems Android has missed compared to iOS.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

How are Great Big and Great Little war games? Im looking for something I can pick up and play between calls at work and from screenshots they seem like Advanced Wars type games that would hit that spot.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

vonManstein posted:

Just the introduction is better than many full-length films. I tremble to think what other gems Android has missed compared to iOS.

Sold

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

loudog999 posted:

How are Great Big and Great Little war games? Im looking for something I can pick up and play between calls at work and from screenshots they seem like Advanced Wars type games that would hit that spot.

I bought both, played the hell out of the first, loved it. They are very much Advance Wars on hex grid.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I bought both, played the hell out of the first, loved it. They are very much Advance Wars on hex grid.

Thanks, I went ahead and got both since they are $.99 each, but since Battle Cats is on my Nexus 7 now, I doubt either will get much playing time for a bit. These drat cats were cute on my iphone, but my god they are much cuter on my tablet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bragon posted:

I randomly stumbled into the games thread for this and thought there is no way android is getting a port of this. I am downloading this now. Android seems to be getting more and more ports, its becoming a pretty popular platform now. I guess the Nexus7 is actually working and getting Android enough market share. I'd also praise the Kindle, but that doesn't include the play store so gently caress it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just as an Android user of 3 (4???) plus years now, Android gaming and port quality and attention has been ramping up over the past year and a half or so.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Metal Slug 3 is on sale for $1.99. That's five bucks off its original price!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have a really hard time seeing how Metal Slug would be very playable on a phone - the XBLA version is hard as gently caress with a full-size controller.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I have both 1 and 3 and they're definitely playable on a phone. You do get occasional issues with the touch controls when you have to shoot anywhere but forward but they certainly aren't terrible.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else playing Dragonvale? I keep seeing that I can give gifts to 3 people and a but I don't have any in-game friends.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Anyone else playing Dragonvale? I keep seeing that I can give gifts to 3 people and a but I don't have any in-game friends.

...That came to Android? Huh. It isn't saddled with Mobage poo poo, is it?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I don't know if there's an Ingress thread yet, but I'll post my experience here.

It opened in New Zealand a week ago, so I downloaded it and wandered around my neighbourhood doing the tutorial missions. Eventually I maxed my XM bar and had a look around for Portals to do stuff to. None in my area it seems. Was in town yesterday and found a few outside a big stadium, but was unable to do anything to them except ineffectually attack one from the opposing faction. Can't reinforce, add resonators to, or link any of the existing portals for my faction because they're all Level 2 or 3 and I'm level 1. There is no instruction as to how to level up, and no indication that anything I've done so far has earned any XP at all.

So yeah, even though I've had the game from day 1, it seems I'm unable to actually play it due to not rushing into the city as soon as it was available. Welp.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bragon posted:

l68o0

That's my invite code. Use it and I get free stuff tia and you get 10k exp

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

victorious posted:

I don't know if there's an Ingress thread yet, but I'll post my experience here.

It opened in New Zealand a week ago, so I downloaded it and wandered around my neighbourhood doing the tutorial missions. Eventually I maxed my XM bar and had a look around for Portals to do stuff to. None in my area it seems. Was in town yesterday and found a few outside a big stadium, but was unable to do anything to them except ineffectually attack one from the opposing faction. Can't reinforce, add resonators to, or link any of the existing portals for my faction because they're all Level 2 or 3 and I'm level 1. There is no instruction as to how to level up, and no indication that anything I've done so far has earned any XP at all.

So yeah, even though I've had the game from day 1, it seems I'm unable to actually play it due to not rushing into the city as soon as it was available. Welp.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521708
I haven't actually played it yet although I do have an invite, but the op of the ingress thread has some tips on leveling that might help you.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Frogmanv2 posted:

l68o0

That's my invite code. Use it and I get free stuff tia and you get 10k exp

Where do we input that if I've already downloaded it?

Valediction
May 6, 2007
You have to reach level 7 I believe and then there is an option at the main menu to invite friends.

Edit: Got Moneko; removed code

Valediction fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 29, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's the Battle Cats thread for iOS; there are loads of hints, strategies, and other information to be had. Might be a better place to front friend codes.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Any tactics or card battle games worth mentioning?

Also I thought you guys were posting ingress invites :negative:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Wrist Watch posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521708
I haven't actually played it yet although I do have an invite, but the op of the ingress thread has some tips on leveling that might help you.

Oh, thanks for that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else having problems with battle cat restoring energy?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bragon posted:

Not compatible with Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 7, both on 4.2 :negative:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

Uh this works on the galaxy nexus on 4.2 just fine.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

RVProfootballer posted:

Odd, it installed fine on my 4.2.1 N7 in Canada.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Yeah, I found out about it from my boyfriend who installed it on his 4.2 GNex. I don't know.

tater_salad posted:

What problem? Energy just restores over time, it's pretty slow.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Oops, I didn't look closely when it said it wouldn't install. Turns out I was logged in with my non-main Google account that has no devices on it, so the box said "we couldn't determine if it's compatible."

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Yeah it's not working for me either.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bragon posted:

Yeah, I found out about it from my boyfriend who installed it on his 4.2 GNex. I don't know.

What problem? Energy just restores over time, it's pretty slow.

I have been at 2 energy for 4hrs .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

On further inspection my phone is also not regaining energy. My iOS copy regens energy at about 1 energy a minute. Release day bugs I guess. I also see the intro every time and that doesn't happen on the other version.

• Locked thread