Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'll probably look into flyball and maybe rally-o with her (me and my mum both prefer females so if I get a pup it's 99% likely going to be a girl). Rally's not really all that established in the UK yet, though. Cani cross looks fun, and once she's old enough we'll be biking a whole bunch.

I'd like to do agility but I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough. :saddowns: I do have some equipment for it though (jumps and weaves) so I could do some home agility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Triangulum posted:

I'm in Germany, you'd actually probably be the easiest to ship to. Vecna's 25kg and it just barely fits him, I don't think it'd fit a 30kg dog.

Go ahead and give it to Riiseli if she wants it, I'm sure Shadow would be too big. I want something in a fun color anyway. :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fraction posted:

I don't suppose anyone with a herder wants to give me a rundown of their average daily exercise schedule when their dog was a pup?

:haw:

When Cohen was a pup she was getting 3-6 hours of exercise/interaction daily, split between (mostly me) and my family.

Also, vaguely topical. Here is a photo of Cohen which epitomizes her entire being.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I want a Pom puppy because it will lay around being a throw pillow 90% of the time, run for five minutes, bark for an hour, and then pass out. Small dogs, FTW.

But I can't get one because I'm moving in with my friend and her two little dudes and she says three dogs is enough :mad:

it's never enough

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

When Cohen was a pup she was getting 3-6 hours of exercise/interaction daily, split between (mostly me) and my family.

Also, vaguely topical. Here is a photo of Cohen which epitomizes her entire being.

I would definitely have time for four or so hours of intense exercise (fetch, football, etc) and another couple for training and indoors play. I've actually just gutted my basement to make a room for destructive playing (fetch/boomer ball) when the weather's crap.

I pretty much spend 90% of my time interacting with my animals or posting about my animals on the internet

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Captain Foxy posted:

I want a Pom puppy because it will lay around being a throw pillow 90% of the time, run for five minutes, bark for an hour, and then pass out. Small dogs, FTW.

But I can't get one because I'm moving in with my friend and her two little dudes and she says three dogs is enough :mad:

it's never enough

Dealbreaker, IMO.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've almost signed up to foster great danes about 8 times now but I keep reminding myself that I already spend too much for dog food a month. At the same time. Wanna foster all the great danes. :smith:

Speaking of danes, just talked to a vet tech about his blood test. He said the vet had a couple of questions for the lab about his urinalysis but otherwise the vet tech thinks his blood results came back fine, just looking at them. And Balen's already wandering around being a giant food whoring lout again, so hopefully this whole vetprofen thing will make him a happy doggy.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Dealbreaker, IMO.

The reality is, I can probably convince her. And she knows that, too. She knows she's living on borrowed time with the whole 'three dogs is enough' thing. She knows I'm breathing down her neck showing her cute pom pup gifs and cracking her like the spine of a book.

I'm a horrible boundary-destroyer.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Captain Foxy posted:

The reality is, I can probably convince her. And she knows that, too. She knows she's living on borrowed time with the whole 'three dogs is enough' thing. She knows I'm breathing down her neck showing her cute pom pup gifs and cracking her like the spine of a book.

Are you suuuuuuuuuure you don't want a fuzzy little husky mix instead?!

Pretty much everyone who wants the boy puppy cannot have him until next year. Sigh.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We have a ton of Havanese that come into work regularly and they're so cute. They're like Shih Tzu's but without the horribly smooshy face. We also had the cutest Coton De Tulear puppy. Almost makes me want to get a dog :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Are you suuuuuuuuuure you don't want a fuzzy little husky mix instead?!

Pretty much everyone who wants the boy puppy cannot have him until next year. Sigh.

Priority mail him to me? Like hell, you can mail chicks. :black101:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

paisleyfox posted:

My boss wants me to fing her a reputable place to get a "teddy bear dog" because they are ~*~hypoallergenic*~*. I told her my thoughts on it, hypoallergenic myths, what sorts of breeds she might want to look at and handle first etc and she's very open to it.

So I go digging around for these "breeders" of designer mixes (she says she can't go to a shelter to find one...allergies...) and don't find any that don't yell mill or broker at me, like that is a huge surprise (living on 16 acres here in Texas! Oh, no, we're not a mill, but you can't come over, we will meet you or ship your dog! Why go through that hassle?) So I start looking at rescues.

Apparently any of the ones for any of these small breed dogs she mentioned (Havs, Bichons, Shih Tzus etc) refuse to adopt to a home with a child from what I have been finding, and she has a 5 year old son, who is rather gentle and mindful, so I think the right dog would be just fine in his home.

Honestly now I can understand more the frustration with crazy rescue ladies and I feel like I should just send her one of the not the worst breeder pages because drat. That or somehow convince her to troll the shelters.

How are the shelters set up in your area? If they have outdoor runs, can't she look online for likely dogs then go to the shelter and ask her to bring the dog outside for her to meet? That way she won't have to go into a shelter full of allergens but she can still meet any dogs that look like the kind of mix she wants.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't think Sadie has stopped purring since I got back. She is totally trying to guilt me into never leaving again.

It is working :qq:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

We were gone for 3 days, and Dio was so happy to see us back but so freaked out by the dog we're taking care of. She ran over meowing when we came in, but her tail was all puffed up because of the dog.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Ugh I am so puppy clucky at the moment but I think it's a combination of staying with my parents (need excuses to get out of the house) and being unemployed (I have all the time for puppies!)

Fraction you should get a puppy with as similar markings to Lola as possible please. :3:

My parents little old dog is struggling lately, I think he's developing arthritis. :( There's been a few times recently when he's gone to say hi and jumped on someone then started yelping. Poor little dude went to the e vet on Christmas Eve for pain relief and we'll probably have to take him back to the vet this week.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Captain Foxy posted:

You just have to look at it by weight. Even all 3 of your tiny dogs combined probably only weigh a quarter of what Major weighs. A few more dogpounds isn't going to make that big of a difference.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I want to steal my friend's dog from his parents so bad. Poor thing is so fat and getting up there in age but LOVES WALKS so much. She's pretty aloof to everyone but their family, but she does a happy wiggle dance whenever I come over because it means WALKTIME. :3:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Fraction posted:

I don't suppose anyone with a herder wants to give me a rundown of their average daily exercise schedule when their dog was a pup?

:haw:
TyTy was 7mos, when she came. Exercise for her was the same as my older dogs ie. 1-2hr walk in the woods (dogs free) and two to three bathroom breaks (often one 20-30 min break, others 15 or less). When spring came I also biked with the dogs, most often in the woods -> dogs got to run free. From the very beginning I have been able to take a day off from the long walks here or there and some in a row, if I was stuck at home with a flu. Besides that we did some clicker stuff on most days in the very beginning.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^ TyTy is working bc too, right? That's pretty awesome. One of the reasons I want a working one is because they have a decent off switch, which a lot of sports dogs apparently lack.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Ugh I am so puppy clucky at the moment but I think it's a combination of staying with my parents (need excuses to get out of the house) and being unemployed (I have all the time for puppies!)

Fraction you should get a puppy with as similar markings to Lola as possible please. :3:

I don't think border collies come in retard version, though :saddowns:

I'm torn between seeking a sable, a tricolour or blue merle pup. Sable and BM are my all time favourite bc colours but there's just something about the tri. It's also much easier to find working tri pups (yay for living basically in farm country!) and a tri would match Jess and Lola more. We'll see!

I've been having puppy fever for months. Stupid free time.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

Fraction posted:

^ TyTy is working bc too, right? That's pretty awesome. One of the reasons I want a working one is because they have a decent off switch, which a lot of sports dogs apparently lack.
Yup, TyTy is an ISDS registered (well since a week ago also registered with the FKC) BC.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've almost signed up to foster great danes about 8 times now but I keep reminding myself that I already spend too much for dog food a month. At the same time. Wanna foster all the great danes. :smith:

If they're shelter great danes, won't they subsidise if not outright pay for all the food? I've got foster kittens (not exactly the same I admit) and I got a sack full of Royal Canin to go with them...not what I'd choose to feed them but it's just temporary..?

Disclaimer: that might be pretty naive as I know exactly zero about dog fostering.

Also :arghfist::mad: cats, now that I'm able to let the kittens roam free, if we make the mistake of leaving the kittens' den open my own cats are like KITTEN FOOD IS THE poo poo WE MUST EAT ALL OF IT ALL THE TIME FOREVER. I've lost a significant amount over the past week to Decoy's gaping maw.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Ugh Vecna is sick :( He's had diarrhea pretty badly for the last couple of days and a mild eye infection. I took him to the vet last night and she said he's basically fine, he probably is just sick because of all the new foods he got for Christmas and the stress of being at my inlaws. He's always had a sensitive stomach so that's not terribly surprising but I feel so bad for the little dude. He's so worn out from making GBS threads his guts out :( We got some medicine for his stomach, eye drops for his eyes, and some sort of prescription food to feed him for a couple of days (all for 30 euro!) and he's improving already. But ugh he looks so skinny and he doesn't really want to play or do much besides chew on poo poo and lay around looking pathetic. The vet said just to keep an eye on him and if he doesn't get better or starts refusing his food to come back.

This has been the worst month for stomach problems. My husband and I just got over a horrible week+ stomach flu and now the dog's sick.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

If they're shelter great danes, won't they subsidise if not outright pay for all the food? I've got foster kittens (not exactly the same I admit) and I got a sack full of Royal Canin to go with them...not what I'd choose to feed them but it's just temporary..?

Disclaimer: that might be pretty naive as I know exactly zero about dog fostering.

Also :arghfist::mad: cats, now that I'm able to let the kittens roam free, if we make the mistake of leaving the kittens' den open my own cats are like KITTEN FOOD IS THE poo poo WE MUST EAT ALL OF IT ALL THE TIME FOREVER. I've lost a significant amount over the past week to Decoy's gaping maw.

In all the fostering I've done, I've never gotten paid/given dog food (or whatever-food). It's possible some groups do that, but none of the ones I have experience with.

On a high note, I'm playing things carefully but, fingers crossed, Gabe and Sarah might finally be home in 2013.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Tamarillo posted:

I never got good when fostering dogs. When I fostered kittens I got given some food to start me off, then some randomly when there had been food donations.

I think it's up to the individual place. Some of the shelters around here give you food, beds, toys etc, some just meds... Most rescues that have foster care only seem to just give you meds, where I live. Then any donations of food they get might be passed to the most needy carer.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

My long-term foster ferrets are provided with meds and their vet bills are paid by the shelter, but I provide the food. And transportation. And I do their laundry. And I provided the cage. Also the house. And the toys. :stoat:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I only get reimbursed for vet bills by the rescue. Never asked for food, but then again, my dogs eat TotW which I think is dirt cheap. Also my dogs are all under 30 lbs, so they really don't eat as much as a Dane. :v:

Fat Dio posted:

How are the shelters set up in your area? If they have outdoor runs, can't she look online for likely dogs then go to the shelter and ask her to bring the dog outside for her to meet? That way she won't have to go into a shelter full of allergens but she can still meet any dogs that look like the kind of mix she wants.

I've tried. I actually found a decent mutt breeder that didn't want to make me kill myself: http://smeragliaschnoodles.com/

But it's not a REAL teddy bear dog, you guys. Teddy bear dogs are (Jesus...uuuh...shih tzu something cross, I don't remember) a DESIGNER breed. DESIGNER. And it's cute. I personally think these dogs look the same as any other ugly moppy dog and why she can't go with a regular hair type dog from a purebred breeder or the shelter I don't know. She has pretty bad allergies and I tried to explain why she was allergic to her friend's goldendoodle (because lol) and that she needs to go to said breeder and be around the dogs (why I like that first one, they encourage it and take back the dog at any age) but she just wants one shipped to her if they aren't in Texas.

Luckily, these mutts' price tags is starting to scare her off. I told her how much rescue dogs go for. We'll see.

I am going to go play with like, 5 week old Shiba puppies tomorrow, though. :3: I'll share pictures. And eventually of Koji's summer adventures in California and at rivals' because I'm bad at this whole photography thing,

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Feh. Balen gets to have an ultrasound done to make sure everything's okay with his bladder and kidneys. Blood tests came back beautiful (which makes me giddy) but there were a few odd cells and a little protein in his urinalysis that makes doc wanna just make 100% sure there's no growths or anything like that going on internally. He said he doubts it, but he'd rather be certain and I would be too.

On the other hand, we did this the day after christmas. When he had a shitload of stuff he doesn't usually get for treats and he totally countercruised some chocolate chip cookies. So hopefully it's just a fluke/he's perfectly fine. We'll see. But I'm really happy about his blood tests :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
The orphan kitten rescue we run at school pays for all food (KMR when they're babies, solids afterwards), litter, vet bills and we provide litterboxes, toys, carriers, cages if needed, blankets, towels, etc....

I guess our fosters are lucky! (joke's on them, they still have to wake up every 2-4 hours at night and feed kittens)

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I've just realized I can offer to foster the rare dogs in need of fostering soon. As I am moving to a pig farm (without the pigs). Hopefully I can get some hens in the spring and there are plans for turning the piggery into a sheep barn. TyTy would rejoice. Alas there will be a flock with about 30 ewes close by, whose owner might be open to letting me borrow his sheep for practice.

edit: This of course mean my red, but not so red, title will be completely incorrect soon.

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 28, 2012

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
One of my cats managed to shut himself in the bathroom while we were gone. Cave, you are lucky we came back the same night or else you might have been in some real trouble! We keep the toilet lids down so he would not have had access to water or anything. He only spent a few hours (we guess) closed in, and of course he did it after our cat-sitters had left so that they couldn't go and free him.

Ugh, the cries he made when he realized someone had come home were heartbreaking. If he had been human, he would have been sobbing.

But we're home little guy, and life is okay again.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
Naru is a horny bitch atm.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Sukka's 5 months at the moment and he's pretty tolerable with 1-2h of exercise (running free with other dogs) and some training + potty breaks (plenty of potty breaks). If he doesn't have puppy/agility class, I take him with me when the other dogs train so I can work with him when the Lapponians are waiting for their turn. If I want to wear him out it takes several hours of puppy mayhem with other puppies his age or spending the whole day outside. I expect his requirement for exercise to increase steadily for the next year or so. Sukka has an off switch, but it's something I'm currently reinforcing like crazy.

Right now we're in the countryside for the holidays and I have to keep a close eye on the dogs because the channel that's very near has very thin ice. This means the dogs have had a trip to the woods daily (running in the snow for about an hour) and several 15-20min supervised romps in the very large front yard. We're taking a break from training until New Year. With this schedule, Sukka's been an intolerable little pain in the rear end.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The anti-diarrhea medicine and prescription food isn't having any effect on Vecna at all. I'm starting to get worried :( Back to the vet on monday I guess.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
Poor Veckna. I hope he gets better soon.

Riiseli posted:

Naru is a horny bitch atm.
I finally decided she was acting all restless, because she needed to get out, but nope. She's just horny...

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Riiseli posted:

Poor Veckna. I hope he gets better soon.

I finally decided she was acting all restless, because she needed to get out, but nope. She's just horny...

I think the Finnish Spitz bitch my parents have is about ready to go into heat because she's beating the poo poo out of the other dogs, but the male is getting the worst of it.

Either that or snow makes finkies really insane.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Rixatrix posted:

Sukka's 5 months at the moment and he's pretty tolerable with 1-2h of exercise (running free with other dogs) and some training + potty breaks (plenty of potty breaks). If he doesn't have puppy/agility class, I take him with me when the other dogs train so I can work with him when the Lapponians are waiting for their turn. If I want to wear him out it takes several hours of puppy mayhem with other puppies his age or spending the whole day outside. I expect his requirement for exercise to increase steadily for the next year or so. Sukka has an off switch, but it's something I'm currently reinforcing like crazy.

Right now we're in the countryside for the holidays and I have to keep a close eye on the dogs because the channel that's very near has very thin ice. This means the dogs have had a trip to the woods daily (running in the snow for about an hour) and several 15-20min supervised romps in the very large front yard. We're taking a break from training until New Year. With this schedule, Sukka's been an intolerable little pain in the rear end.

If Lola gets just an hour a day, she'll be pretty intolerable too. High energy dogs :3:

Thanks for the info on Sukka's schedule. I'm pretty relieved after hearing from a couple of people in here; I was worried it'd be 'five hours a day running at absolute minimum and another five hours of interaction or your dog will eat your face'. Since that's not the case I'm much less anxious. I do think I can cope with a BC puppy's needs.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Fraction posted:

'five hours a day running at absolute minimum [...] or your dog will eat your face'

My cousin's ex brought her a BC puppy from Ireland and this is close to what it takes to keep the dog from pacing and compulsively/repetitively scratching the baseboards in her house. It's only really happy when she's training for marathons. I think it depends a lot on the individual dog; would you be able to get a good idea from the puppy's parentage?

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Thanks for the info on Sukka's schedule. I'm pretty relieved after hearing from a couple of people in here; I was worried it'd be 'five hours a day running at absolute minimum and another five hours of interaction or your dog will eat your face'. Since that's not the case I'm much less anxious. I do think I can cope with a BC puppy's needs.
Sukka is still pretty young so we're taking it easy as I'm terrified of overworking him and contributing to him developing OCD. Running in the snow is pretty strenuous. In addition, we do normally train outside of our home every single day and all the dogs generally tag along whether it's their turn or not. I don't have class or other prearranged stuff every day for each of the dogs, but Sukka gets to do something daily. The dogs take about 4-5 hours of active input from me each weekday and more or less on weekends, depending on the weekend.

I'm gonna rain on Riiseli's parade and say TyTy is an intense little dog that requires massive amounts of intense exercise. Then again she really REALLY likes to run, so you can just take her somewhere and let her off leash and she'll run (or swim) until she's happy. Sukka for the time being seems to be a bit more mellow than TyTy when he's not working, but neither dog would do well in a setting where you couldn't have your dog off leash. I have a hard time imagining TyTy being happy even with someone who trains long distance running if the dog had to be on leash. Overall I don't think Sukka has been more demanding than the Lapponians were when they were puppies - a high energy dog is a high energy dog.

BCs are high energy dogs with some common quirks and if you're lucky enough to get one with a good set of nerves, they should tolerate some downtime as well. You can also teach the dog a set of skills she can use to relax when nothing is happening. Ideally all dogs should come prewired for this, but many dogs need to be taught how to "do nothing".

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

demozthenes posted:

My cousin's ex brought her a BC puppy from Ireland and this is close to what it takes to keep the dog from pacing and compulsively/repetitively scratching the baseboards in her house. It's only really happy when she's training for marathons. I think it depends a lot on the individual dog; would you be able to get a good idea from the puppy's parentage?

I'm not sure RE the parentage; I'm likely just going to be getting a bc pup from working parents, somewhere. An experienced ~collie man~ is probably going to be helping me select a calmer and more trainable puppy, though. He's had like 40 years experience with collies.

Rixatrix posted:

Sukka is still pretty young so we're taking it easy as I'm terrified of overworking him and contributing to him developing OCD. Running in the snow is pretty strenuous. In addition, we do normally train outside of our home every single day and all the dogs generally tag along whether it's their turn or not. I don't have class or other prearranged stuff every day for each of the dogs, but Sukka gets to do something daily. The dogs take about 4-5 hours of active input from me each weekday and more or less on weekends, depending on the weekend.

I'm gonna rain on Riiseli's parade and say TyTy is an intense little dog that requires massive amounts of intense exercise. Then again she really REALLY likes to run, so you can just take her somewhere and let her off leash and she'll run (or swim) until she's happy. Sukka for the time being seems to be a bit more mellow than TyTy when he's not working, but neither dog would do well in a setting where you couldn't have your dog off leash. I have a hard time imagining TyTy being happy even with someone who trains long distance running if the dog had to be on leash. Overall I don't think Sukka has been more demanding than the Lapponians were when they were puppies - a high energy dog is a high energy dog.

Don't worry, I'll definitely be letting the pup off lead a lottttt of the time (UK here, and I live basically on the edge of acres and acres of countryside). 4-5 hours of active interaction I can (and expect to) do; I just panic and think that the dog literally won't settle unless it gets 8-9 hours at least.

There's lots of places near me for high intensity exercise. When the pup is older, it can come biking with me on the extensive canal system we have. There is a park very close by that is basically the equivalent of a US dog park, it's that busy. There's reservoirs, as well as the canals, for swimming in. There's countryside within a 15 minute walk, and there's a small field basically at the end of my street that is perfect for fetch/football/boomer ball/flirtpole/etc. I have a spring pole set up in the backyard and a basement which I'll probably use for treibball practice. I'm certainly not in an apartment in the middle of a city with no free time and nowhere for my dog to be let off.

I have a handful of friends with dogs of various playfulness, and Lola is pretty playful with dogs she knows. Jess is really playful with/attentive to puppies. I also love trick training so I will thoroughly enjoy spending a lot of time teaching the puppy stupid things. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Don't worry, I'll definitely be letting the pup off lead a lottttt of the time (UK here, and I live basically on the edge of acres and acres of countryside). 4-5 hours of active interaction I can (and expect to) do; I just panic and think that the dog literally won't settle unless it gets 8-9 hours at least.
You'll be fine :) It's true there are dogs like demozthenes's cousin's dog, but if you have someone who has lots of experience in the breed I think you are stacking the odds greatly in your favor with regards to getting a puppy that suits a pet/dog sport home.

If you can, get a hold of Control Unleashed: A Puppy Program. Read it and use the exercises within to teach the puppy how to self-soothe and calm himself when necessary. Often the dogs that are unmanageable because they're so energetic are that way not because they're quite that high maintenance to begin with, but rather because the puppy has had less-than-perfect coping skills from the beginning and because the restless behavior has been inadvertently reinforced. I think it's extremely important to teach a dog (any dog!) to chill out when necessary. Had I known this when Pi was a puppy I would've saved myself a lot of painful experiences.

• Locked thread